Top 1 vs 1 impromptu fighter in WvW (End 2019)

EremiteAngel.9765

So as we approach the end of 2019, build templates have made it a build vs build guessing game.Despite the ability to swap builds on the fly according to the opponent encountered, surely there is a or a few top classes with builds that can handle most encounters.Who then, in your heart, is the top 1 vs 1 impromptu fighter in WvW roaming encounters?

Personally I'm glad to see that there have been fewer 'nerf this class' threads which should tell us that things are more closely balanced now.

@"RedShark.9548" said:Thief and mesmer, because if they play well they dont "lose" any fight.Sure they might not win against everybody, but they can almost always just disengage and look for easier, or fewer prey lol.

That's great n all but that doesn't work at a camp, or say let's say this 1v1 happens inside an objective that the other guy can solo.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@"RedShark.9548" said:Thief and mesmer, because if they play well they dont "lose" any fight.Sure they might not win against everybody, but they can almost always just disengage and look for easier, or fewer prey lol.

That's great n all but that doesn't work at a camp, or say let's say this 1v1 happens inside an objective that the other guy can solo.

That was not the question, it was only asked about 1v1s.

Also why care about objectives when winning is meaningless?

And thief and mesmer can solo camps n stuff aswell.

If a single. Guy is trying to solo a camp and you engage on him he has to fight you and the guards and is in a pretty big disadvantage.

@RedShark.9548 said:

@RedShark.9548 said:Thief and mesmer, because if they play well they dont "lose" any fight.Sure they might not win against everybody, but they can almost always just disengage and look for easier, or fewer prey lol.

If a single. Guy is trying to solo a camp and you engage on him he has to fight you and the guards and is in a pretty big disadvantage.

I dunno, the ability to leave an impromptu 1v1 doesn't really make the class the best 1v1 fighter, and while build templates certainly make thief much better for 1v1's that's not the question either.

Understanding the question as which class has a build with the least changes needed to it for individual 1v1's, I'd probably have to say warrior ATM.

@RedShark.9548 said:

@RedShark.9548 said:Thief and mesmer, because if they play well they dont "lose" any fight.Sure they might not win against everybody, but they can almost always just disengage and look for easier, or fewer prey lol.

The question was about 1v1 and in wvw that can happen at any time, any where.

Npc camps are usually push overs and the only real threat are tower/keep lords.

Absolutely, the guy attacking lord is at a huge disadvantage but in my experience anyone that's soloing a lord has a keen eye open for anyone coming.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Absolutely, the guy attacking lord is at a huge disadvantage but in my experience anyone that's soloing a lord has a keen eye open for anyone coming.

And still, thief and mesmer are the ones that will be able to disengage, reset the fight and pull that enemy away from the lord and fight there, while the other classes have to tank lord or while running away from the lord getting under high pressure by the enemy player.

@RedShark.9548 said:

And still, thief and mesmer are the ones that will be able to disengage, reset the fight and pull that enemy away from the lord and fight there, while the other classes have to tank lord or while running away from the lord getting under high pressure by the enemy player.

Which resets the lord.

Pretty sure more than thief and mes can disengage enough to fight that player alone, they can just do it easier . Ranger/engie even a warrior can if his CDs are up.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Which resets the lord.

Pretty sure more than thief and mes can disengage enough to fight that player alone, they can just do it easier . Ranger/engie even a warrior can if his CDs are up.

Ofc it resets lord, but nobody should be able to tank lord and another roamer.

My point is, that everyone who doesnt have stealth has to take big hits or use defensive cds when disengaging the lord, while being chased by the defender.

They see were the warrior is going, while a thief disengages completely and waits to get cds back

@Gop.8713 said:

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Personally I'm glad to see that there have been fewer 'nerf this class' threads

I think that's just bc we've given up :p

I belong in the retired from serious roaming so don't really care camp haha.But if we look at the votes now though, they are so evenly spread across all the classes that I think we've really achieved true balance where no single class is standing head and shoulders above the rest.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Personally I'm glad to see that there have been fewer 'nerf this class' threads

I belong in the retired from serious roaming so don't really care camp haha.But if we look at the votes now though, they are so evenly spread across all the classes that I think we've really achieved true balance where no single class is standing head and shoulders above the rest.

Yes, the 18 people who voted, in your random poll about 1v1 dueling, in a game that’s not about dueling, is a clear indication that everything is balanced now.

What is this poll in the wvw section for? Do you think wvw was made for dueling? Is this dueler wars 2 or something?

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

Yes, the 18 people who voted, in your random poll about 1v1 dueling, in a game that’s not about dueling, is a clear indication that everything is balanced now.

What is this poll in the wvw section for? Do you think wvw was made for dueling? Is this dueler wars 2 or something?

You're always so mean :'(I hope you find real happiness in life.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

This is the RvR section yet you keep spamming these dueling threads. Your polls are an indication of nothing.

There are obviously major issues with the competitive side of the game, but you’re seemingly unaware for someone who posts on the forums regularly. And most of these posts clutter the wvw forums section and take oxygen from more constructive threads.

Esports crashed and burned and WvW is basically dead. There have been thousands and thousands and thousands of complaint and idea threads posted on these forums, but here you are with dueling stuff in the realm vs realm vs realm section, and saying that the game must be balanced because 18 people voted.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

This is the RvR section yet you keep spamming these dueling threads. Your polls are an indication of nothing.

There are obviously major issues with the competitive side of the game, but you’re seemingly unaware for someone who posts on the forums regularly. And most of these posts clutter the wvw forums section and take oxygen from more constructive threads.

Esports crashed and burned and WvW is basically dead. There have been thousands and thousands and thousands of complaint and idea threads posted on these forums, but here you are with dueling stuff in the realm vs realm vs realm section, and saying that the game must be balanced because 18 people voted.

If you want to try to claim superior knowledge to the player you are quoting, you're not doing yourself any favors by demonstrating a failure to distinguish solo roaming from dueling . . .

This is unfortunate as your underlying point is valid, this is by no means a random sampling, the sample size is very small, one class has 1/3 of the votes and four classes have 3/4. There is no way this poll can be used to support a claim of class balance. It's still interesting though :)

I'm also surprised that guard doesn't have any votes yet, I roamed on guard for years and while I wouldn't pick it as my top class it is a perfectly valid solo roamer. Seems like it would be someone's favorite . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

If you want to try to claim superior knowledge to the player you are quoting, you're not doing yourself any favors by demonstrating a failure to distinguish solo roaming from dueling . . .

This is unfortunate as your underlying point is valid, this is by no means a random sampling, the sample size is very small, one class has 1/3 of the votes and four classes have 3/4. There is no way this poll can be used to support a claim of class balance. It's still interesting though :)

I'm also surprised that guard doesn't have any votes yet, I roamed on guard for years and while I wouldn't pick it as my top class it is a perfectly valid solo roamer. Seems like it would be someone's favorite . . .

I’m stating facts.

This thread isn’t about which roamer is the best or where you rank roamer builds. This is about 1v1 fights, and it’s being posted in a section about an RvR mode. And a claim that the game must obviously be balanced, now that 20 people voted, is ridiculous.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

I’m stating facts.

This thread isn’t about which roamer is the best or where you rank roamer builds. This is about 1v1 fights, and it’s being posted in a section about an RvR mode. And a claim that the game must obviously be balanced, now that 20 people voted, is ridiculous.

Correct, 1v1 fights, not dueling. I'm pleased that you have learned the distinction, as otherwise we agree . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

I’m stating facts.

Correct, 1v1 fights, not dueling. I'm pleased that you have learned the distinction, as otherwise we agree . . .

Are you really niggling about a word when the comments are understandable? Like for real?

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

I’m stating facts.

Are you really niggling about a word when the comments are understandable? Like for real?

It's a substantial distinction. It's like comparing a pug zerg to a guild group. An ill-informed player would consider that distinction 'niggling', and educating that player would be a valuable goal . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

I’m stating facts.

It's a substantial distinction. It's like comparing a pug zerg to a guild group. An ill-informed player would consider that distinction 'niggling', and educating that player would be a valuable goal . . .

I see, you need comments overexplained to make them understandable. In the future, I will avoid implied comments to you, and be as specific as possible with words, so you aren’t confused between things like “dueling” and “1v1” (although dueling is a 1v1 fight)... because apparently they are radically different to you.

However, I’m glad that once applying “1v1” you understand the rest.

No one thinks boonbeast is still broken? 66% damage reduction with Protection and Dolyak Stance, perma Might, Fury, Regen, Swiftness, high Vigor and Protection up time, can self-stack 15+ Stability, high condition resistance and cleanse, high damage reduction, moderate/high mobility ( depending on pet choices ), good damage both ranged and melee with a potentially one round K.O. burst rotation.

The only thing this build struggles against is a good Necro or S/D Thief, otherwise it has almost no losing match ups and even the ones that give it trouble will take a while to kill it. IMO it is still the most broken 1v1er and is capable of 1vX as well. There's a GS + Sword/Axe variant I've been seeing more of lately that's worse than the Axe/Warhorn + Sword/Axe build because it has a ridiculous amount of mobility ( x4 leaps, which means it can cover more ground than a Jaunt + Blink Mirage with lower cool downs ). The only downside to that build is that unlike the mainhand axe version it can struggle to maintain pressure if it's opponent also has high mobility.

( Awaiting Ranger main brigade to defend this. )

Fortunately I don't see too many of these because most people prefer to play longbow since it's a lot lower effort. Boonbeast does require a decent amount of skill management but it's still disgustingly low risk/high reward. Nothing should be capable of face tanking like a Nomad while pumping out 5 - 7k crits ( and in the case of offhand axe, up to 20k if you get locked in to a Whirling Defense ).