Power or Precision which stats is better to focus on grinding LOW lv 1 to 80?

ancafr.9274

Which stats is better to focus on gears for low level grind from 1 to 80 precision or power? I usually focus more on precision but yesterday i tried power and it did pretty good. I mean for all type melee, ranged and mage. As for mage is better power/precision/condi or pow/pre/fero?

I believe power scales better at low level, so you should prioritize power and then precision while leveling.

While leveling, power/precision/ferocity is king. It beats any other build combination by a landslide.

Expansion content retools some of the mob design to make condis and defensive stats more relevant, but even there power builds can still dominate in every fight.

By "mage" I assume you mean Elementalist?

Precision should never be a primary attribute, regardless of your level - Power is more important as it defines your raw, direct damage. Precision only decides over your chances of dealing additional damage (whose amount/percentage is determined by Ferocity). Elementalists usually play Berserker stats (Power as primary attribute, Precision and Ferocity as secondary ones), but you can add a couple of Marauder trinkets at Level 80 to increase your Precision and (most importantly, because Elementalists are a bit squishy) some Vitality (which increases your Health). Don't overdo the Marauder part, though, as it takes away from your direct damage, and the best way to avoid dying is still proper movement and getting used to the game's combat mechanics.

Power increases your direct damage, Precision increases your chance of getting a criticial hit (and Ferocity increases the damage your criticial hits will do). So in general power is better because that will give you additional damage on all your attacks, whereas precision and ferocity will only increase the damage some of the time and you need both to be most effective.

In this game whether you're using ranged or melee attacks and whether or not you're using magic doesn't change which stats you want. The main difference is whether you're using skills which have relatively low direct damage but cause conditions (in which case you want condition damage as a main stat) or just do direct damage (so you want power). Whether you want precision depends on if you have traits or sigils which trigger on critical hits, although at level 80 your equipment will boost 3 stats and power/precision/ferocity is a popular choice if you don't need condition damage and don't want any defensive stats.

Power.

You can't have "condi" build for leveling. TBH you can't have any kind of build for leveling. You don't have utility skills and specializations. 2nd spec tree is unlocked at 45, 3rd at lvl 71. As specialization is a large part of "build", you don't have them, so you don't have a build.

For leveling, just go Power. Don't bother with much else. "bothering is much else" takes time. In that time you could get extra levels, even be lvl80.

@Hashberry.4510 said:Some of us enjoy the leveling game.

Hell yeah LOL, if i count all the time I spent lving new characters testing fashion armor looking, skills shout/speaking, animation casting etc etc I would have at least male and female of all classes and races on level 80 xD. I like the fashion style so for me is VERY DIFFICULTY to find the 'perfect looking' to play hehe. Human/Norn and Asura has the best customization in my opinion, specially with makeover kit.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:By "mage" I assume you mean Elementalist?

Precision should never be a primary attribute, regardless of your level - Power is more important as it defines your raw, direct damage. Precision only decides over your chances of dealing additional damage (whose amount/percentage is determined by Ferocity). Elementalists usually play Berserker stats (Power as primary attribute, Precision and Ferocity as secondary ones), but you can add a couple of Marauder trinkets at Level 80 to increase your Precision and (most importantly, because Elementalists are a bit squishy) some Vitality (which increases your Health). Don't overdo the Marauder part, though, as it takes away from your direct damage, and the best way to avoid dying is still proper movement and getting used to the game's combat mechanics.

Elem, Mes and Necro that are the 3 'mage' classes here, i see ty.

Always power over precision. Power is your damage boost. Unlike other games, precision doesn't make you hit more -- precision increases your chance of critical hits. However, your criticals are based loosely on your weapon damage and your power. When leveling, always prioritise power. Especially in your earlier levels where precision offers little to nothing in the start. Once you start getting two-stat equipment always favor power being greater than precision if you can. It's okay to take some power/vit if you're feeling a little squish, but when you start putting points into specializations (traits), try favoring some survivaiblity but work with your damage or your current utility skill set.

For instance, an elementalist would want to go through the Air trait lines for the trait that reduces glyph cooldown, or increased damage vs. low-HP monsters. A ranger would take a trait that would modify their axes, or a mesmer would get a trait that builds on sword skills while also reducing their cooldowns.

When you're leveling, always focus on damage -- and for that, focus on power. Let things such as precision, vitality, ferocity complement.

Don't worry about other things such as expertise/concentration/healing for the time being. Those will become relevant when you're closer to 80 because they'll be much more useful.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:By "mage" I assume you mean Elementalist?

10% less damage but 30% more health is the difference between zerker and marauder.

So I reckon the difference in damage is negligible, while the increase in health is not.

So running all marauder is the way to go.

I like Marauder for a lot of end-game builds. But you're not even going to see much Marauder gear while leveling anyway. It's a specialized stat set that only drops on special end-game gear rewards and end-game crafting recipes. So you likely won't even see any such gear while leveling anyway. You can't buy it off the Auction House. Just stick to Berserker while leveling. Once you're level 80 and have finished killing Zhaitan, you can start thinking about slowly accumulating exotic gear with special stat lines like Marauders, Vipers or Diviners that are only found with some difficulty.

Basic power gear is all you need for leveling. Actually, you may even find it doesn't matter what stat line you go with while leveling - because a lot of the content is pretty low in difficulty anyway. Just slap on whatever gear you find that gives you the highest power stat - no matter what the other stats are - and you'll probably be fine.

@"FitzChevalerie.1035" said:1-80 can pretty much be done with the green gear leveling gives you. no point worrying about gear before thatAbove level 20-30 you'll want to purchase gear... well assuming you got the coin. It's not that expensive.

The simple trick is to go to the trading post, then search for green gear close to your level. It will probably be around x5-ish (so 25, 35, 45 etc). There's generally only 1 or 2 "levels" of gear every 10 level. Buy a full set - armor, weapons. Trinkets if you want though probably dont even need to bother. This will easily last you until its time to buy again and sometimes you can skip parts that you already got good enough of.

Ultimately, this will be considerably stronger than just relying on rewards and make you level alot faster. As above have stated, just focus on power. Toughness, vitality, etc is completely irrelevant. You just want to kill things as fast as possible in order to outlevel your foes rather than outsustain them. When you have gotten a fresh set of gear you should be killing everything in sight for quick XP and steaming through hearts (if the focus is on the world).

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"FitzChevalerie.1035" said:1-80 can pretty much be done with the green gear leveling gives you. no point worrying about gear before thatAbove level 20-30 you'll want to purchase gear... well assuming you got the coin. It's not that expensive.

The simple trick is to go to the trading post, then search for green gear close to your level. It will probably be around x5-ish (so 25, 35, 45 etc). There's generally only 1 or 2 "levels" of gear every 10 level. Buy a full set - armor, weapons. Trinkets if you want though probably dont even need to bother. This will
easily
last you until its time to buy again and sometimes you can skip parts that you already got good enough of.

Ultimately, this will be considerably stronger than just relying on rewards and make you level
alot
faster. As above have stated, just focus on power. Toughness, vitality, etc is completely irrelevant. You just want to kill things as fast as possible in order to outlevel your foes rather than outsustain them. When you have gotten a fresh set of gear you should be killing everything in sight for quick XP and steaming through hearts (if the focus is on the world).

Yes I know i just wanted to to know which stats are better to focus, thanks

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:10% less damage but 30% more health is the difference between zerker and marauder.

So I reckon the difference in damage is negligible, while the increase in health is not.

I disagree. You don't need "all Marauder's" unless you really have difficulty avoiding damage. Elementalist also provides some CC and good damage reduction (crit immunity) through Earth.

I'm running this build with my Elementalist in open world content (including the more challenging story missions, like the Balthazar fight) and have no issues surviving, as a melee Ele nontheless, while also dealing heavy damage: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PGhAwilJkwu6aUtNlUGZoOqO7vNA-zRhYBRBniVQgbRSIGUVp0UBEYCkYgURQY7FJM2MvlImBA-e

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:10% less damage but 30% more health is the difference between zerker and marauder.

I disagree. You don't need "all Marauder's" unless you really have difficulty avoiding damage. Elementalist also provides some CC and good damage reduction (crit immunity) through
Earth

I'm running this build with my Elementalist in open world content (including the more challenging story missions, like the Balthazar fight) and have no issues surviving, as a melee Ele nontheless, while also dealing heavy damage:

LOOOOl relax people xD, I wont play ele right now cuz I'm focusing on my ranger and mesm.. not that I DO NOT WANT but cuz I DO NOT HAVE enough spot for more characters UNLESS they make a sale for character slot(in this case i would buy at least 4)but since they ARE NOT(they made a sale for 'expansion pack w/ 1 char slot, bank and etc etc this one I dont want) then I'll play the ones I currently have. Elem is my favorite class but I wont be lving one so early plus I'm dying to make one norn female necro cuz i love their armor visual but... like i said... no slot... =/ and I wont pay 800 gems for one when I can get 2 on sales ;).

@ancafr.9274 said:I'm focusing on my ranger and mesm..

There is an advantage focusing on Precision since you can trigger a lot of effects that procs on crit hits. However, both Ranger and Mesmer doesn't have many traits that triggers on crits so there's really no point of focusing on precision. If you are using Engineer, for example, you can proc a burning condition on crits, so precision might make sense for that profession. Otherwise, just stay with power.