Top 1 vs 1 impromptu fighter in WvW (End 2019)

EremiteAngel.9765

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Personally I'm glad to see that there have been fewer 'nerf this class' threads

I think that's just bc we've given up :p

I belong in the retired from serious roaming so don't really care camp haha.But if we look at the votes now though, they are so evenly spread across all the classes that I think we've really achieved true balance where no single class is standing head and shoulders above the rest.

Yes, the 18 people who voted, in your random poll about 1v1 dueling, in a game that’s not about dueling, is a clear indication that everything is balanced now.

What is this poll in the wvw section for? Do you think wvw was made for dueling? Is this dueler wars 2 or something?

You're always so mean :'(I hope you find real happiness in life.

This is the RvR section yet you keep spamming these dueling threads. Your polls are an indication of nothing.

There are obviously major issues with the competitive side of the game, but you’re seemingly unaware for someone who posts on the forums regularly. And most of these posts clutter the wvw forums section and take oxygen from more constructive threads.

Esports crashed and burned and WvW is basically dead. There have been thousands and thousands and thousands of complaint and idea threads posted on these forums, but here you are with dueling stuff in the realm vs realm vs realm section, and saying that the game must be balanced because 18 people voted.

If you want to try to claim superior knowledge to the player you are quoting, you're not doing yourself any favors by demonstrating a failure to distinguish solo roaming from dueling . . .

This is unfortunate as your underlying point is valid, this is by no means a random sampling, the sample size is very small, one class has 1/3 of the votes and four classes have 3/4. There is no way this poll can be used to support a claim of class balance. It's still interesting though :)

I'm also surprised that guard doesn't have any votes yet, I roamed on guard for years and while I wouldn't pick it as my top class it is a perfectly valid solo roamer. Seems like it would be someone's favorite . . .

I’m stating facts.

This thread isn’t about which roamer is the best or where you rank roamer builds. This is about 1v1 fights, and it’s being posted in a section about an RvR mode. And a claim that the game must obviously be balanced, now that 20 people voted, is ridiculous.

Correct, 1v1 fights, not dueling. I'm pleased that you have learned the distinction, as otherwise we agree . . .

Are you really niggling about a word when the comments are understandable? Like for real?

It's a substantial distinction. It's like comparing a pug zerg to a guild group. An ill-informed player would consider that distinction 'niggling', and educating that player would be a valuable goal . . .

I see, you need comments overexplained to make them understandable. In the future, I will avoid implied comments to you, and be as specific as possible with words, so you aren’t confused between things like “dueling” and “1v1” (although dueling is a 1v1 fight)... because apparently they are radically different to you.

However, I’m glad that once applying “1v1” you understand the rest.

Using words is hard, bc words mean things. Dueling and impromptu 1v1's are radically different to anyone who is familiar with both concepts. Your inability to distinguish the two is what caused your misplaced complaint that a roaming thread doesn't belong in the wvw forum. Your have done a poor job of expressing your gratitude for my taking the time to elevate your understanding, but the knowledge that I have made your world a more illuminated place is thanks enough for me. Glhf :)

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Personally I'm glad to see that there have been fewer 'nerf this class' threads

I belong in the retired from serious roaming so don't really care camp haha.But if we look at the votes now though, they are so evenly spread across all the classes that I think we've really achieved true balance where no single class is standing head and shoulders above the rest.

Yes, the 18 people who voted, in your random poll about 1v1 dueling, in a game that’s not about dueling, is a clear indication that everything is balanced now.

What is this poll in the wvw section for? Do you think wvw was made for dueling? Is this dueler wars 2 or something?

This is the RvR section yet you keep spamming these dueling threads. Your polls are an indication of nothing.

There are obviously major issues with the competitive side of the game, but you’re seemingly unaware for someone who posts on the forums regularly. And most of these posts clutter the wvw forums section and take oxygen from more constructive threads.

Esports crashed and burned and WvW is basically dead. There have been thousands and thousands and thousands of complaint and idea threads posted on these forums, but here you are with dueling stuff in the realm vs realm vs realm section, and saying that the game must be balanced because 18 people voted.

If you want to try to claim superior knowledge to the player you are quoting, you're not doing yourself any favors by demonstrating a failure to distinguish solo roaming from dueling . . .

This is unfortunate as your underlying point is valid, this is by no means a random sampling, the sample size is very small, one class has 1/3 of the votes and four classes have 3/4. There is no way this poll can be used to support a claim of class balance. It's still interesting though :)

I'm also surprised that guard doesn't have any votes yet, I roamed on guard for years and while I wouldn't pick it as my top class it is a perfectly valid solo roamer. Seems like it would be someone's favorite . . .

I’m stating facts.

This thread isn’t about which roamer is the best or where you rank roamer builds. This is about 1v1 fights, and it’s being posted in a section about an RvR mode. And a claim that the game must obviously be balanced, now that 20 people voted, is ridiculous.

Correct, 1v1 fights, not dueling. I'm pleased that you have learned the distinction, as otherwise we agree . . .

Are you really niggling about a word when the comments are understandable? Like for real?

It's a substantial distinction. It's like comparing a pug zerg to a guild group. An ill-informed player would consider that distinction 'niggling', and educating that player would be a valuable goal . . .

I see, you need comments overexplained to make them understandable. In the future, I will avoid implied comments to you, and be as specific as possible with words, so you aren’t confused between things like “dueling” and “1v1” (although dueling is a 1v1 fight)... because apparently they are radically different to you.

Using words is hard, bc words mean things. Dueling and impromptu 1v1's are radically different to anyone who is familiar with both concepts. Your inability to distinguish the two is what caused your misplaced complaint that a roaming thread doesn't belong in the wvw forum. Your have done a poor job of expressing your gratitude for my taking the time to elevate your understanding, but the knowledge that I have made your world a more illuminated place is thanks enough for me. Glhf :)

Apparently understanding the meaning is harder. As is using a word the majority can understand within the context of a post, except for you.

Here, I’ll be helpful...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/duel

“a combat between two persons”

Title... “Top 1 vs 1 impromptu fighter”

Think my math adds up here when I used the word “duel”.

Given all of this, thank you for agreeing with me!

Why are people talking about disengaging in 1v1s? Anyone can run a never die build and not accomplish anything. You might as well just stay at spawn; will never die there.

Also, people, just because you get killed 1v1 every fight doesn't mean it's not relevant in WvW. It would be quite the opposite actually. Like it or not, this situation will happen in wvw, and it is important to discuss it.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

I’m stating facts.

Apparently understanding the meaning is harder. As is using a word the majority can understand within the context of a post, except for you.

Here, I’ll be helpful...

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

I’m stating facts.

Here, I’ll be helpful...

I'm disappointed that you have regressed in this way. Your inability to distinguish duels from impromptu 1v1s is what precipitated your initial error. I thought we had made progress there, but if you have not learned the difference you're in the same place you were before, and will continue to make the same error. All of my careful instruction for naught :/

Gop, before you guys drift further into semantics I think you are missing Swagger's point.

If you roam and the fights are "impromptu" they are always situated in a 1vX perspective. They may be 1v1 but they are derived from a 1vX perspective and whatever people play are built for 1vX and not 1v1. If regulate that scenario to a 1v1 you get a duel. The best 1vX build in a 1v1 situation is a pretty pointless discussion when you could talk about the best 1vX build in a 1vX situation or the best 1v1 build in a 1v1 situation.

You can not simply pick half of something (roaming) and half of something else (duelling), mash it together and cherry pick whatever fits your perspective. It is an inauthentic presupposition. That also gives the poll a confirmation bias leaving the strengths and weaknesses of certain classes in either roaming or duelling out of consideration. It's about as useful as discussing which class performs the best with clones.

From what I understand, the question is about ability to win 1v1s, so with that in mind, answering "x because he can run away" is rather stupid and doesn't really answer OP's question. Even if you manage to run away, you didn't "handle your encounter", you lost the 1v1. If objectives don't matter either, then I'm literally invincible on any class/build by standing on the spawn: didn't lose, nothing really matters ayyy.
That said, I don't know the answer to that question -maybe mesmer or a mastered elementalist as classes that might be the most versatile without swapping builds. But then again I don't even play ele because I don't like it in the slightest, so just shooting blanks here :astonished:

• Confused 1

@Swagger.1459 said:Unfortunately, adding the word “impromptu” doesn’t make the description of “duel”, or my use of it in this thread, any different.

You’re trying hard, but you’re not winning this duel. Sorry.

It does in fact. A duel is never impromptu, that's the whole point of the /bow, to ensure that your opponent is ready. If the thread was about dueling, there would have been no need to mention build templates, as a duel allows you all the time you need to ready your gear and traits. Among gw2 players, dueling is a very specific thing that is not the subject of this thread. An impromptu 1v1 is when a solo roamer happens upon another solo roamer and they hopefully fight, preferably to the death. If you need reinforcement of this concept, note that there were over a dozen replies in this thread before you posted, but the topic of dueling wasn't mentioned until you chose to introduce it . . .

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:Gop, before you guys drift further into semantics I think you are missing Swagger's point.No I got the point, which is that they believe wvw exists only for them and any discussion of topics not of interest to them are somehow wasting 'oxygen' on the forum. But instead of ignoring a topic that did not interest them, they chose to make an ill-informed post revealing their ignorance of the nuance of the topic being discussed, which is unsurprising as it is a topic of no interest to them. There's no shame in it. I'm sure I would make many similar errors if I presumed to enter discussions on topics where I am not well informed . . .If you roam and the fights are "impromptu" they are always situated in a 1vX perspective.Certainly true. So what would be the point of reducing the poll to 1v1 encounters? Think on it for a moment and we'll come back to it . . .They may be 1v1 but they are derived from a 1vX perspective and whatever people play are built for 1vX and not 1v1. If regulate that scenario to a 1v1 you get a duel.A zergling being repeatedly killed on the way back to their zerg by a spawn camper, a roamer killing a pver trying for monument daily, one player killing another while trying to run the last yak into an objective, two players fighting over a camp or tower. These are all 1v1 encounters. All duels to your mind? The difference is not semantic . . .The best 1vX build in a 1v1 situation is a pretty pointless discussion when you could talk about the best 1vX build in a 1vX situation or the best 1v1 build in a 1v1 situation.And yet that is the topic at hand. If you feel it's pointless, that's fine. I feel many threads are pointless. It's just the nature of being around other ppl. They're not all interested in the same things. I look at this thread as 'when you're solo roaming, which class makes you feel most confident when you happen upon a 1v1 opportunity' or 'same situation, which opposing class gives you the most pause'. It's just a fun opportunity to see what other players with similar interests think. It doesn't have to have a point . . .You can not simply pick half of something (roaming) and half of something else (duelling), mash it together and cherry pick whatever fits your perspective. It is an inauthentic presupposition. That also gives the poll a confirmation bias leaving the strengths and weaknesses of certain classes in either roaming or duelling out of consideration. It's about as useful as discussing which class performs the best with clones.Happily no one has done so. We did have one poster attempt to take two separate concepts and subsume one into the other, but I corrected the error . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:Unfortunately, adding the word “impromptu” doesn’t make the description of “duel”, or my use of it in this thread, any different.

It does in fact. A duel is never impromptu, that's the whole point of the /bow, to ensure that your opponent is ready. If the thread was about dueling, there would have been no need to mention build templates, as a duel allows you all the time you need to ready your gear and traits. Among gw2 players, dueling is a very specific thing that is not the subject of this thread. An impromptu 1v1 is when a solo roamer happens upon another solo roamer and they hopefully fight, preferably to the death. If you need reinforcement of this concept, note that there were over a dozen replies in this thread before you posted, but the topic of dueling wasn't mentioned until you chose to introduce it . . .

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:Gop, before you guys drift further into semantics I think you are missing Swagger's point.No I got the point, which is that they believe wvw exists only for them and any discussion of topics not of interest to them are somehow wasting 'oxygen' on the forum. But instead of ignoring a topic that did not interest them, they chose to make an ill-informed post revealing their ignorance of the nuance of the topic being discussed, which is unsurprising as it is a topic of no interest to them. There's no shame in it. I'm sure I would make many similar errors if I presumed to enter discussions on topics where I am not well informed . . .If you roam and the fights are "impromptu" they are always situated in a 1vX perspective.Certainly true. So what would be the point of reducing the poll to 1v1 encounters? Think on it for a moment and we'll come back to it . . .They may be 1v1 but they are derived from a 1vX perspective and whatever people play are built for 1vX and not 1v1. If regulate that scenario to a 1v1 you get a duel.A zergling being repeatedly killed on the way back to their zerg by a spawn camper, a roamer killing a pver trying for monument daily, one player killing another while trying to run the last yak into an objective, two players fighting over a camp or tower. These are all 1v1 encounters. All duels to your mind? The difference is not semantic . . .The best 1vX build in a 1v1 situation is a pretty pointless discussion when you could talk about the best 1vX build in a 1vX situation or the best 1v1 build in a 1v1 situation.And yet that is the topic at hand. If you feel it's pointless, that's fine. I feel many threads are pointless. It's just the nature of being around other ppl. They're not all interested in the same things. I look at this thread as 'when you're solo roaming, which class makes you feel most confident when you happen upon a 1v1 opportunity' or 'same situation, which opposing class gives you the most pause'. It's just a fun opportunity to see what other players with similar interests think. It doesn't have to have a point . . .You can not simply pick half of something (roaming) and half of something else (duelling), mash it together and cherry pick whatever fits your perspective. It is an inauthentic presupposition. That also gives the poll a confirmation bias leaving the strengths and weaknesses of certain classes in either roaming or duelling out of consideration. It's about as useful as discussing which class performs the best with clones.Happily no one has done so. We did have one poster attempt to take two separate concepts and subsume one into the other, but I corrected the error . . .

Unfortunately for you, the English language is on my side. And I know it’s hard to accept, but you lost this duel.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:No one thinks boonbeast is still broken?[insert long explanation of how powerful it is]

Fortunately I don't see too many of these because most people prefer to play longbow since it's a lot lower effort.

It's not effort, it's ability. People who play this game vary wildly in their ability to press buttons quickly. I use a trackball because RSI (which has no macros). I'm don't have twitchy ability. I think it's reasonable that there are powerful options for people who aren't pianists. I wonder why there are better options for people who ARE pianists.

nah, Gop is correct, "duel" has its own specific meaning in the world of gw2 (and a lot of other mmorpgs). Standing in front of your opponent and making sure everyone involved is ready to fight with all their skills off cd is different from 1v1ing without the earlier arrangement.

A zergling being repeatedly killed on the way back to their zerg by a spawn camper, a roamer killing a pver trying for monument daily, one player killing another while trying to run the last yak into an objective, two players fighting over a camp or tower. These are all 1v1 encounters. All duels to your mind? The difference is not semantic . . .

aaand that's pretty much it.

• Confused 1

@"Gop.8713" said:A zergling being repeatedly killed on the way back to their zerg by a spawn camper, a roamer killing a pver trying for monument daily, one player killing another while trying to run the last yak into an objective, two players fighting over a camp or tower. These are all 1v1 encounters. All duels to your mind? The difference is not semantic . . .None of them are duels as none of them are regulated. At the same time none of them are 1v1 situations, they are 1v1 engagements in a 1vX situation. At any time someone can +1 them and most of them are engaged with other players on screen. That is also fairly evident by the fact that none of those are best done with a (condi) Mesmer while the poll is phrased in a way where the Mesmer can be the only answer yet at the same time not be an answer that anything substantial or objective can be derived from.

Your examples illustrate that point as the "top" (and/or most common) class for most of those examples is a Thief thanks to what it can draw upon from a 1vX perspective and a notable part of that is its superior ability to disengage which only holds value in 1vX and holds no value from a duel or "fighting" perspective. Other people early in the thread argued that it has no value for the poll, quickly blurring the lines between roaming and duels.

That brings us to this:

@"Gop.8713" said:And yet that is the topic at hand. If you feel it's pointless, that's fine. I feel many threads are pointless. It's just the nature of being around other ppl.Yes, that is the topic and indeed the argument from the very beginning has been that the topic is pointless. Not pointless from how someone feel but pointless in terms of collecting a set of data to determine what the "top" of something is. It is objectively pointless, not subjectively. Had the thread been phrased as what is your "favourite" or "most liked" I think no one would have any objection but we would also have no discussion ;).

At the same time, I would surmise that none of the people who voted for the Mesmer in the poll did so because they like it the best for solo roaming or duelling. They voted for it because they got killed by it (a strong duelling build) while they were roaming (on various roaming builds) and tried to fight it on its terms. As a result that is what can be derived from this poll whether Eremite intended that or not.

Condi Mesmers have always worked like that since all the way back to early vanilla. They are difficult to gank but they are not necessarily the best to gank with or to duel with. They are one of the best ways to counter bad gankers who don't know when to stop however. In fact, that's how most people used them in vanilla; as a switch-up to chase gankers off (often Thieves). The condi Mirages of today have a fair bit more catching-power and disengagement power themselves, making the combination harder to deal with but it still doesn't make them better as roamers as they are still far more susceptible to being run down by superior numbers. The people who are making thinly veiled complaints about being killed by them do not factor that into their votes.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@subversiontwo.7501 said:Gop, before you guys drift further into semantics I think you are missing Swagger's point.No I got the point, which is that they believe wvw exists only for them and any discussion of topics not of interest to them are somehow wasting 'oxygen' on the forum. But instead of ignoring a topic that did not interest them, they chose to make an ill-informed post revealing their ignorance of the nuance of the topic being discussed, which is unsurprising as it is a topic of no interest to them. There's no shame in it. I'm sure I would make many similar errors if I presumed to enter discussions on topics where I am not well informed . . .If you roam and the fights are "impromptu" they are always situated in a 1vX perspective.Certainly true. So what would be the point of reducing the poll to 1v1 encounters? Think on it for a moment and we'll come back to it . . .They may be 1v1 but they are derived from a 1vX perspective and whatever people play are built for 1vX and not 1v1. If regulate that scenario to a 1v1 you get a duel.A zergling being repeatedly killed on the way back to their zerg by a spawn camper, a roamer killing a pver trying for monument daily, one player killing another while trying to run the last yak into an objective, two players fighting over a camp or tower. These are all 1v1 encounters. All duels to your mind? The difference is not semantic . . .The best 1vX build in a 1v1 situation is a pretty pointless discussion when you could talk about the best 1vX build in a 1vX situation or the best 1v1 build in a 1v1 situation.And yet that is the topic at hand. If you feel it's pointless, that's fine. I feel many threads are pointless. It's just the nature of being around other ppl. They're not all interested in the same things. I look at this thread as 'when you're solo roaming, which class makes you feel most confident when you happen upon a 1v1 opportunity' or 'same situation, which opposing class gives you the most pause'. It's just a fun opportunity to see what other players with similar interests think. It doesn't have to have a point . . .You can not simply pick half of something (roaming) and half of something else (duelling), mash it together and cherry pick whatever fits your perspective. It is an inauthentic presupposition. That also gives the poll a confirmation bias leaving the strengths and weaknesses of certain classes in either roaming or duelling out of consideration. It's about as useful as discussing which class performs the best with clones.Happily no one has done so. We did have one poster attempt to take two separate concepts and subsume one into the other, but I corrected the error . . .

Unfortunately for you, the English language is on my side. And I know it’s hard to accept, but you lost this duel.

I feel confident you could find a semantics forum where that would be relevant. As we are debating gw2 wvw concepts, your understanding continues to limit you :(

@subversiontwo.7501 said:

@Gop.8713 said:A zergling being repeatedly killed on the way back to their zerg by a spawn camper, a roamer killing a pver trying for monument daily, one player killing another while trying to run the last yak into an objective, two players fighting over a camp or tower. These are all 1v1 encounters. All duels to your mind? The difference is not semantic . . .None of them are duels as none of them are regulated. At the same time none of them are 1v1 situations, they are 1v1 engagements in a 1vX situation. At any time someone can +1 them and most of them are engaged with other players on screen. That is also fairly evident by the fact that none of those are best done with a (condi) Mesmer while the poll is phrased in a way where the Mesmer can be the only answer yet at the same time not be an answer that anything substantial or objective can be derived from.

Your examples illustrate that point as the "top" (and/or most common) class for most of those examples is a Thief thanks to what it can draw upon from a 1vX perspective and a notable part of that is its superior ability to disengage which only holds value in 1vX and holds no value from a duel or "fighting" perspective. Other people early in the thread argued that it has no value for the poll, quickly blurring the lines between roaming and duels.

That brings us to this:

@Gop.8713 said:And yet that is the topic at hand. If you feel it's pointless, that's fine. I feel many threads are pointless. It's just the nature of being around other ppl.Yes, that is the topic and indeed the argument from the very beginning has been that the topic is pointless. Not pointless from how someone feel but pointless in terms of collecting a set of data to determine what the "top" of something is. It is objectively pointless, not subjectively. Had the thread been phrased as what is your "favourite" or "most liked" I think no one would have any objection but we would also have no discussion ;).

At the same time, I would surmise that none of the people who voted for the Mesmer in the poll did so because they like it the best for solo roaming or duelling. They voted for it because they got killed by it (a strong duelling build) while they were roaming (on various roaming builds) and tried to fight it on its terms. As a result that is what can be derived from this poll whether Eremite intended that or not.

Condi Mesmers have always worked like that since all the way back to early vanilla. They are difficult to gank but they are not necessarily the best to gank with or to duel with. They are one of the best ways to counter bad gankers who don't know when to stop however. In fact, that's how most people used them in vanilla; as a switch-up to chase gankers off (often Thieves). The condi Mirages of today have a fair bit more catching-power and disengagement power themselves, making the combination harder to deal with but it still doesn't make them better as roamers as they are still far more susceptible to being run down by superior numbers. The people who are making thinly veiled complaints about being killed by them do not factor that into their votes.

Hey, great. As long as you backed off from insisting the poll is about dueling, I don't much care about the rest of it . . .

Didn't know if I what I really should vote.

1vs1 impromptu I'd give it to warrior.But only looking at the impromptu part.Cause it's maybe the only Zerg class, that can do very well with the same build in 1vs1.

If you just want to know the best 1vs1 class. There's quite a few that I don't really want to rank as they all have something over another of these classes:-sword Weaver: way to much sustain for the dmg it does. (Btw I managed to hit a Weaver that dismounted me with chilled to the bone into executioner's scythe as he stunbreaked the cttb. Then went into soul spiral and the ele still didn't die, clearly broken if you ask me)

-thiefs ( you didn't manage to burst the opponent? Just run away, cause noone can keep up with thiefs mobility and try again)

-soulbeast (pewpew from 1500 range with very very good amounts of mobility make you almost invincible, + a still very good boonbeast build)

-warrior (to many invincibilities, paired with good dmg, cc and mobility)

-rev (no need of LoS for low cooldown teleport + good burst + good defenses)

-Holo (well just look at spvp section and see that Holo is oppressive there and gets nerfed. Too many boons on itself, very good sustain, cc, dmg)

-mesmer (well I only encountered condi mirages lately, and it's absolutely cancer to play against. There was a time, you could at least counterplay them a bit by killing their clones, but right now, there's way to much clonespam. They don't even need to attack themselves, and can just wait for the clones to kill the enemy)

Now I'm missing 2 classes. Necro and guard.

Guard has one build that is cancer, but if you know that the enemy is playing this build (burnguard) it can be outplayed kinda easy. Power guard is pretty fair build, as you teleport in, try to oneshot, but can't get out if you don't manage to kill the enemy.

And necro: yeah still worst 1vs1 profession in the game. You don't get carried by your build. You need to carry yourself with your playstyle.

@Nimon.7840 said:

And necro: yeah still worst 1vs1 profession in the game. You don't get carried by your build. You need to carry yourself with your playstyle.

I disagree. I think Necro is a pretty strong 1v1er, especially if given some terrain to maneuver.

There are certain fights that are heavily in favor of the opponent if it's in an open field, such as against a Thief or Ranger, but otherwise Necro has a pretty solid chance against most things. There are so many builds that are completely reliant on their boons to function, and Necro happens to be great at removing or corrupting those.

Impromptu is a different story though. I don't think anyone can argue that Necro is a terrible roamer and easy to overwhelm. Doesn't really matter how good you are, how many steps ahead of your opponents you're thinking or how well you kite. If you get +1'd at a bad time, you pop almost instantly. So in that regard I'd agree. But straight up 1v1 as in dueling, no. I think Necro is actually quite good in that area. Core Necro in particular as well as Reaper. Scourge struggles a bit in 1v1's but a well played one is still pretty capable.

Impromptu fights generally go to the player with more mobility because they can dictate the fight. Get jumped and want to run away/reset? Well, whether you succeed of not will depend on your profession and build.That said, if you were to run a simulation taking every notable build in the game played by perfectly equal skilled players and have them all fight against every other build with strictly execution (and not luck or any external influence) determining the fights I think it'd be a tossup between damage mitigation warrior and condition mirage over which builds come out on top the most often. (Note that this involves actually winning a fight, I know there are plenty of ranger and thief builds that could simply run away.)

~ Kovu

@"Nimon.7840" said:Guard has one build that is cancer, but if you know that the enemy is playing this build (burnguard) it can be outplayed kinda easy. Power guard is pretty fair build, as you teleport in, try to oneshot, but can't get out if you don't manage to kill the enemy.... ignoring the trapper dh...

Either way I find this argument on "impromptu" and what 1v1 really is a bit silly. The best class is the one you can play good.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:No one thinks boonbeast is still broken? 66% damage reduction with Protection and Dolyak Stance, perma Might, Fury, Regen, Swiftness, high Vigor and Protection up time, can self-stack 15+ Stability, high condition resistance and cleanse, high damage reduction, moderate/high mobility ( depending on pet choices ), good damage both ranged and melee with a potentially one round K.O. burst rotation.

The only thing this build struggles against is a good Necro or S/D Thief, otherwise it has almost no losing match ups and even the ones that give it trouble will take a while to kill it. IMO it is still the most broken 1v1er and is capable of 1vX as well. There's a GS + Sword/Axe variant I've been seeing more of lately that's worse than the Axe/Warhorn + Sword/Axe build because it has a ridiculous amount of mobility ( x4 leaps, which means it can cover more ground than a Jaunt + Blink Mirage with lower cool downs ). The only downside to that build is that unlike the mainhand axe version it can struggle to maintain pressure if it's opponent also has high mobility.

( Awaiting Ranger main brigade to defend this. )

Fortunately I don't see too many of these because most people prefer to play longbow since it's a lot lower effort. Boonbeast does require a decent amount of skill management but it's still disgustingly low risk/high reward. Nothing should be capable of face tanking like a Nomad while pumping out 5 - 7k crits ( and in the case of offhand axe, up to 20k if you get locked in to a Whirling Defense ).

IMO, they are broken.But I'm hesitant to vote for them as I am a Necro main and they've always felt oppressive to the point that I can no longer differentiate whether they are strong against everyone, or just strong against a Necro.

I wouldn't say they struggle against a Necro though.It is more a 50-50 fight I guess.

My own experience against them is that we need to run full glass to kill them.Otherwise they just out-heal / out-cleanse.

I've beaten decent boonbeasts recently on full Grievers Core Necro.I've also beaten decent LB variants of the Soulbeasts recently on full Grievers Reaper. (oh and I won with speed runes + spectral armor into shroud lol)

Even these LB variants feel like boonbeasts to me because there seems to be a build where they spew out lots of boons too :s

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@subversiontwo.7501 said:Gop, before you guys drift further into semantics I think you are missing Swagger's point.No I got the point, which is that they believe wvw exists only for them and any discussion of topics not of interest to them are somehow wasting 'oxygen' on the forum. But instead of ignoring a topic that did not interest them, they chose to make an ill-informed post revealing their ignorance of the nuance of the topic being discussed, which is unsurprising as it is a topic of no interest to them. There's no shame in it. I'm sure I would make many similar errors if I presumed to enter discussions on topics where I am not well informed . . .If you roam and the fights are "impromptu" they are always situated in a 1vX perspective.Certainly true. So what would be the point of reducing the poll to 1v1 encounters? Think on it for a moment and we'll come back to it . . .They may be 1v1 but they are derived from a 1vX perspective and whatever people play are built for 1vX and not 1v1. If regulate that scenario to a 1v1 you get a duel.A zergling being repeatedly killed on the way back to their zerg by a spawn camper, a roamer killing a pver trying for monument daily, one player killing another while trying to run the last yak into an objective, two players fighting over a camp or tower. These are all 1v1 encounters. All duels to your mind? The difference is not semantic . . .The best 1vX build in a 1v1 situation is a pretty pointless discussion when you could talk about the best 1vX build in a 1vX situation or the best 1v1 build in a 1v1 situation.And yet that is the topic at hand. If you feel it's pointless, that's fine. I feel many threads are pointless. It's just the nature of being around other ppl. They're not all interested in the same things. I look at this thread as 'when you're solo roaming, which class makes you feel most confident when you happen upon a 1v1 opportunity' or 'same situation, which opposing class gives you the most pause'. It's just a fun opportunity to see what other players with similar interests think. It doesn't have to have a point . . .You can not simply pick half of something (roaming) and half of something else (duelling), mash it together and cherry pick whatever fits your perspective. It is an inauthentic presupposition. That also gives the poll a confirmation bias leaving the strengths and weaknesses of certain classes in either roaming or duelling out of consideration. It's about as useful as discussing which class performs the best with clones.Happily no one has done so. We did have one poster attempt to take two separate concepts and subsume one into the other, but I corrected the error . . .

I feel confident you could find a semantics forum where that would be relevant. As we are debating gw2 wvw concepts, your understanding continues to limit you :(

@Gop.8713 said:A zergling being repeatedly killed on the way back to their zerg by a spawn camper, a roamer killing a pver trying for monument daily, one player killing another while trying to run the last yak into an objective, two players fighting over a camp or tower. These are all 1v1 encounters. All duels to your mind? The difference is not semantic . . .None of them are duels as none of them are regulated. At the same time none of them are 1v1 situations, they are 1v1 engagements in a 1vX situation. At any time someone can +1 them and most of them are engaged with other players on screen. That is also fairly evident by the fact that none of those are best done with a (condi) Mesmer while the poll is phrased in a way where the Mesmer can be the only answer yet at the same time not be an answer that anything substantial or objective can be derived from.

That brings us to this:

@Gop.8713 said:And yet that is the topic at hand. If you feel it's pointless, that's fine. I feel many threads are pointless. It's just the nature of being around other ppl.Yes, that is the topic and indeed the argument from the very beginning has been that the topic is pointless. Not pointless from how someone feel but pointless in terms of collecting a set of data to determine what the "top" of something is. It is objectively pointless, not subjectively. Had the thread been phrased as what is your "favourite" or "most liked" I think no one would have any objection but we would also have no discussion ;).

Hey, great. As long as you backed off from insisting the poll is about dueling, I don't much care about the rest of it . . .

I'm sorry that you're having such a difficult time with this.

To me a 1vs1 impromptu fight is a random run in with someone, as some people seem to be looking or talking about duels of sorts, which is not a impromptu 1vs1. A duel is a planned/agreed to fight to the death, and running away is a loss, hell most people consider getting knocked off the cliff by windmill a loss in a duel. That is not the case in impromptu 1vs1's, where running away or at least resetting of a fight you can't win is the correct choice, as giving a free bag to the other team when you can just reset or move on to the next player/target. I see this all the time in sPvP as well, where someone will run into mid solo while 3 are capping/holding, which does nothing for your team or yourself for that matter.

Hardest fight for me is condi mes or boonbeast, Mes right now reminds me of the old PU builds, they have allot in their kit for random 1vs1 fights, and can have very good reset ability. Boonbeast has good reset with mobility and limited access to stealth and huge range/kiting ability, the worse part is on my DH as full glass is almost not enough to kill one and have had them full face tank a full burst rotation and still not go down while being back at 80-90% HP in a few seconds, the fights are often very long if I have area to LOS, if not, it's RIP.

Now, most annoying are the perm stealth thief builds, they can and will reset all day. Often times for most, the only way one dies is 2vs1 and each of the 2 have a reveal or the thief gets tunnel vision on a target that can fight and gets over confident. Now, I win 95% of all 1vs1 encounters with a thief, I main DH after all which is a pretty good counter to thief, and yet I would rather fight a boonbeast that I have a much, MUCH lower win rate against. Something can be balanced (not saying these perm stealth builds are) and still be annoying, unhealthy and broken.

All of these have high mobility, and stealth, being able to control where and how a fight happens by being able to reset, and in many cases/builds, reseting often, is extremely powerful in 1vs1 WvW. On builds like this, unless you get tunnel vision in a 1vs1 fight, you can reset or choose to disengage if you can't win the fight or things don't go in your favor.