Double Firebrand Double Herald

Monkey See.1498

@Monkey See.1498 said:

@Ragnar.4257 said:The last MAT final 2 weeks ago featured double-thief on one team, and double-mesmer on the other team.

That means they're god-modes right? Or has the world totally changed in the last 2 weeks?

And staff thief was IMMEDIATELY hot fixed.

And mesmer wasn't. Because it isn't actually an issue at the moment, regardless of MAT picks.

Its almost like you need to look beyond simply counting the number of professions in the most recent MAT final, and assess problems more widely.

Yeah it's so weird that Mirage is being igno-

@"Cal Cohen.2358" said:Hi Everyone,

We’ve done some work on the next balance update and wanted to share some of the potential changes for discussion and feedback.

In particular we’re looking at:
  • Condi Thief
  • Holosmith
  • Condi Mirage
  • Rampage
  • Warrior’s Cunning
  • Revisiting Staff Thief

Condi Mirage
We understand that Mirage Cloak is a big point of contention and we’ve been having discussions internally, but it isn’t something that we’ll be ready to action for this update. As we get closer to our desired solution we’ll start to talk about it more with you all, but in the meantime we’re looking at some more general changes. Primarily toning down clone generation and reducing some damage potential of staff, pushing it more toward a utility kit.
  • Illusionary Counter: Reduced the number of clones spawned on block from 2 to 1 in PvP only
  • Phantasmal Warlock:
    • Reduced the number of warlocks spawned from 2 to 1 in PvP only.
    • Increased the vulnerability applied per hit from 2 stacks to 4 stacks in PvP only
  • Chaos Vortex:
    • Reduced bleed duration from 8 seconds to 4 seconds in PvP only.
    • Reduced burn duration from 2 seconds to 1 second in PvP only.
    • Reduced Torment duration from 8 seconds to 4 seconds in PvP only

You were referring to the hot-fix to staff thief.

Now you're talking about a patch that hasn't happened yet, where we don't even know what the final change-set will consist of.

Why are you moving the goal-posts?

Edit: And by "last MAT" I meant previous. I'm well aware that there was also one yesterday. That doesn't change the fact that there was also one 2 weeks ago. Hence why I clarified "2 weeks ago" in my comment.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ragnar.4257 said:

@Ragnar.4257 said:The last MAT final 2 weeks ago featured double-thief on one team, and double-mesmer on the other team.

That means they're god-modes right? Or has the world totally changed in the last 2 weeks?

And mesmer wasn't. Because it isn't actually an issue at the moment, regardless of MAT picks.

Its almost like you need to look beyond simply counting the number of professions in the most recent MAT final, and assess problems more widely.

We’ve done some work on the next balance update and wanted to share some of the potential changes for discussion and feedback.

• Condi Thief
  • Holosmith
  • Condi Mirage
  • Rampage
  • Warrior’s Cunning
  • Revisiting Staff Thief

Condi Mirage
We understand that Mirage Cloak is a big point of contention and we’ve been having discussions internally, but it isn’t something that we’ll be ready to action for this update. As we get closer to our desired solution we’ll start to talk about it more with you all, but in the meantime we’re looking at some more general changes. Primarily toning down clone generation and reducing some damage potential of staff, pushing it more toward a utility kit.
  • Illusionary Counter: Reduced the number of clones spawned on block from 2 to 1 in PvP only
  • Phantasmal Warlock:
    • Increased the vulnerability applied per hit from 2 stacks to 4 stacks in PvP only
  • Chaos Vortex:

Now you're talking about a patch that hasn't happened yet, where we don't even know what the final change-set will consist of.

Edit: And by "last MAT" I meant previous. I'm well aware that there was also one yesterday. That doesn't change the fact that there was also one 2 weeks ago. Hence why I clarified "2 weeks ago" in my comment.

@Monkey See.1498 said:

There was a MAT yesterday. @"Flandre.2870" in this thread was one of the EU winners running double FB double Herald.

And after the "September" Monthly two weeks ago staff thief was IMMEDIATELY hot fixed to hamstring the bug they were abusing to bunk nodes so easily and there are more nerfs listed in the balance patch preview. Meanwhile the scheduled nerfs for FB and Herald are.... strangely absent from the balance preview.

Maybe if you didn't clip and ignore most of my post you wouldn't have missed most of my post.

Right now Firebrand and Herald are dominating ATs and they've seen a dramatic uptick in ranked as well. Staff thief had the bug hot fixed, more nerfs to both it and condition thief are coming. Condition Mirage and Spellbreaker both have serious nerfs announced in the preview. Holo is getting some shaves. Meanwhile by CMC's own admission the Firebrand and Herald are not even on their radar for the next balance patch and they were not particularly looking at them. Those are his words.

Like seriously, why are you even in this thread? All you've done is defend, distract, and derail the conversation away from talking about two over performing specs that are currently being stacked in a way that is unhealthy in ATs and frankly they're starting to clog up ranked as well.

@Monkey See.1498 said:

• Condi Thief
  • Holosmith
  • Condi Mirage
  • Rampage
  • Warrior’s Cunning
  • Revisiting Staff Thief

Condi Mirage
  • Phantasmal Warlock:
  • Chaos Vortex:

There was a MAT yesterday. @"Flandre.2870" in this thread was one of the EU winners running double FB double Herald.

And after the "September" Monthly two weeks ago staff thief was IMMEDIATELY hot fixed to hamstring the bug they were abusing to bunk nodes so easily and there are more nerfs listed in the balance patch preview. Meanwhile the scheduled nerfs for FB and Herald are.... strangely absent from the balance preview.

Maybe if you didn't clip and ignore most of my post you wouldn't have missed most of my post.

Right now Firebrand and Herald are dominating ATs and they've seen a dramatic uptick in ranked as well. Staff thief had the bug hot fixed, more nerfs to both it and condition thief are coming. Condition Mirage and Spellbreaker both have serious nerfs announced in the preview. Holo is getting some shaves. Meanwhile by CMC's own admission the Firebrand and Herald
are not even on their radar
for the next balance patch and
they were not particularly looking at them
. Those are his words.

Like seriously, why are you even in this thread? All you've done is defend, distract, and derail the conversation away from talking about two over performing specs that are currently being stacked in a way that is unhealthy in ATs and frankly they're starting to clog up ranked as well.

Rofl, all of that wasn't in your original post, you edited it in afterwards.

If I respond to something, and then AFTERWARDS you change what you said, then obviously what I said won't make sense.

Your original post just said "And staff thief was IMMEDIATELY hot fixed. "

This is what I responded to. If you edit in a load of extra stuff afterwards, how can you expect me to read and respond to stuff you haven't written yet? Do you legit expect me to see the future?

Its there for all to see. Original post: 8.09pm, Edited 8.14pm.

My response was at 8.13pm, before you edited in all the extra stuff that I "didn't bother to read" (because it wasn't there yet lol)

That's some next-level fake-news.

If you want to stop playing propaganda.......

I fully expect FB to be on the chopping-block for the balance pass following the next one.

They're always lagging 6 months behind the meta.

They're just now catching up to Holo and Condi-Thief, when people were complaining about those back at the start of the summer. FB (at least, hybrid variant) wasn't something people were really talking about until the last month or so.

Now people are complaining about FB, it'll probably get hit in March patch. Even though, by then, there'll be a new flavour-of-the-month (I'm predicting Boonbeast to make a comeback).

@Ragnar.4257 said:

• Condi Thief
  • Holosmith
  • Condi Mirage
  • Rampage
  • Warrior’s Cunning
  • Revisiting Staff Thief

Condi Mirage
  • Phantasmal Warlock:
  • Chaos Vortex:

Right now Firebrand and Herald are dominating ATs and they've seen a dramatic uptick in ranked as well. Staff thief had the bug hot fixed, more nerfs to both it and condition thief are coming. Condition Mirage and Spellbreaker both have serious nerfs announced in the preview. Holo is getting some shaves. Meanwhile by CMC's own admission the Firebrand and Herald
are not even on their radar
for the next balance patch and
they were not particularly looking at them
. Those are his words.

Rofl, all of that wasn't in your original post, you edited it in afterwards.

If I respond to something, and then AFTERWARDS you change what you said, then obviously what I said won't make sense.

Your original post just said "And staff thief was IMMEDIATELY hot fixed. "

This is what I responded to. If you edit in a load of extra stuff afterwards, how can you expect me to read and respond to stuff you haven't written yet? Do you legit expect me to see the future?

Its there for all to see. Original post: 8.09pm, Edited 8.14pm.

My response was at 8.13pm, before you edited in all the extra stuff that I "didn't bother to read" (because it wasn't there yet lol)

That's some next-level fake-news.

The only change made to that post was adding in the fact that Flandre won the MAT using that comp and @ing them.

• ArenaNet Staff

Rev is a class that's favored more by the best players, and the best players tend to win the monthly. With that said it's definitely strong, and it's on our watch list following the next balance update along with symbol firebrand and weaver. Essentially we're going to keep a close eye on the meta builds that aren't seeing any changes, but we want to see how the new meta shakes out first. Like I've said previously, we have the opportunity to make additional changes outside of the usual balance cadence if something terrible happens.

Support firebrand is more of a big picture issue. It's definitely the dominant support build, which pushes out some other builds that just don't bring as much to the table. This is something we're looking at for the larger update, but isn't really solvable with a few quick changes in the short-term. There are some shaves we can do if support fb is overperforming relative to the power of the meta, but it's likely to continue being the best support build for the time being.

@"Cal Cohen.2358" said:Rev is a class that's favored more by the best players, and the best players tend to win the monthly. With that said it's definitely strong, and it's on our watch list following the next balance update along with symbol firebrand and weaver. Essentially we're going to keep a close eye on the meta builds that aren't seeing any changes, but we want to see how the new meta shakes out first. Like I've said previously, we have the opportunity to make additional changes outside of the usual balance cadence if something terrible happens.

Support firebrand is more of a big picture issue. It's definitely the dominant support build, which pushes out some other builds that just don't bring as much to the table. This is something we're looking at for the larger update, but isn't really solvable with a few quick changes in the short-term. There are some shaves we can do if support fb is overperforming relative to the power of the meta, but it's likely to continue being the best support build for the time being.

Please let us know if you've seen the feedback regarding the trait Lock On and if you've decided to address the double proc. Please remove the on-hit proc and increase the internal cooldown of the trait.

12 seconds of reveal, 20 stacks of vulnerability, and 10s of fury on a 25 second cooldown that the Holo can trigger simply by hitting you in stealth/CCing you is extremely powerful, passive, and easy to land without much effort or thought on their part. Not to mention that the procs do not share the same internal cooldown which seems like a bug at the very least.

@Cal Cohen.2358 said:Rev is a class that's favored more by the best players, and the best players tend to win the monthly.

This is patently ridiculous on its face. Rev spent close to an entirely year through Path of Fire being largely abandoned by high end players because it wasn't considered good in the face of PoF power creep.

Then it received a plethora of buffs to its offhand sword as well as benefiting from nerfs to the over performing specs. At which point once it became one of the best builds in the gameas balance patches rolled in and that's when players looking to perform as good as possible swapped to it. The best players will flock to the highest performing specs, not the other way around.

@Cal Cohen.2358 said:With that said it's definitely strong, and it's on our watch list following the next balance update along with symbol firebrand and weaver.

I always thought that Weaver was one of the most balanced elite spe in competitives modes (compared to other overperforming ones)

I guess I was wrong since it's also in the sights apparently.

@Cal Cohen.2358 said:Rev is a class that's favored more by the best players, and the best players tend to win the monthly. With that said it's definitely strong, and it's on our watch list following the next balance update along with symbol firebrand and weaver. Essentially we're going to keep a close eye on the meta builds that aren't seeing any changes, but we want to see how the new meta shakes out first. Like I've said previously, we have the opportunity to make additional changes outside of the usual balance cadence if something terrible happens.

Hello, FB is not a spec that pushes out other supports, if FB stopped existing I dont think other supports would suddenly start being stacked, the problem is that FB is simply overtuned and thats why I started seeing 2-3 of them each game on average.I agree that issue is hard to tackle, if other supports get buffed then we can have bunker meta where 3 different supports sit mid, nerfing FB would make it so there are no supports in meta.Propably the healthy thing would be do some small changes to make FB weaker, and make other supports have something different that other supports cant provide, whilemaking stacking support not favourable.Whether you hit the issue spot on, make a meh change or fail in it compleatly, Ill be watching with great intrest

PS@shadowpass.4236 dont derail please.

@Theros.1390 said:

@"Cal Cohen.2358" said:With that said it's definitely strong, and it's on our watch list following the next balance update along with symbol firebrand and weaver.

I always thought that Weaver was one of the most balanced elite spe in competitives modes (compared to other overperforming ones)

Weaver is probably the best 1v1 spec in the game right now. It does have some weaknesses notably how slow the meta build is since it can't afford lightning flash, probably the slowest in the game with only a minor amount of swiftness, air 2, and that's it.

But any build that can potentially stack 45 stacks of burning onto a target, effectively doing 18,000 damage per second in burning, probably deserves a serious look in.

https://www.twitch.tv/im_grimjack/clip/CulturedCautiousChamoisPogChamp

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Cal Cohen.2358 said:Rev is a class that's favored more by the best players, and the best players tend to win the monthly. With that said it's definitely strong, and it's on our watch list following the next balance update along with symbol firebrand and weaver. Essentially we're going to keep a close eye on the meta builds that aren't seeing any changes, but we want to see how the new meta shakes out first. Like I've said previously, we have the opportunity to make additional changes outside of the usual balance cadence if something terrible happens.

Hello, FB is not a spec that pushes out other supports, if FB stopped existing I dont think other supports would suddenly start being stacked, the problem is that FB is simply overtuned and thats why I started seeing 2-3 of them each game on average.I agree that issue is hard to tackle, if other supports get buffed then we can have bunker meta where 3 different supports sit mid, nerfing FB would make it so there are no supports in meta.Propably the healthy thing would be do some small changes to make FB weaker, and make other supports have something different that other supports cant provide, whilemaking stacking support not favourable.Whether you hit the issue spot on, make a meh change or fail in it compleatly, Ill be watching with great intrest

PS@"shadowpass.4236" dont derail please.

"Essentially we're going to keep a close eye on the meta builds that aren't seeing any changes, but we want to see how the new meta shakes out first."

I'm not. Holo Lock On is one of the issues that isn't seeing any changes on a meta build.

Lol. These whiners on the forums. Symbol brand is countered by not standing in the symbols by Dodging. Just like how you should not stand in Scourge Shades.

Also Ranged Damage eats symbolbrand before even having a chance to block it. Of course, if you fire into the fb’s reflect more than once then that’s your fault.

@Cal Cohen.2358 said:Rev is a class that's favored more by the best players, and the best players tend to win the monthly. With that said it's definitely strong, and it's on our watch list following the next balance update along with symbol firebrand and weaver.

Correction Power herald is the one favored, The rest of revenant isn't touched as much. Condition damage mallyx builds are coming out of the woodwork but they are no where near as devestating as the power burst damage. We lack a lot of tools that classes like warrior have in abundance and guardian as a whole can out do us, A full burst revenant can smash people sure. A lot of the issues with revenant comes down to some of the changes made, it was made to be a duelist and those abilities have been stripped and its damage given multipliers rather than nuance. Power Herald or power rev in general is a one trick pony, same basic roation and attack formula acrossed the board.

Revenant needs love its just not on the front of power damage that it needs love, I main a condition damage rev and I can tell you is waaaay more challenging that playing our power brethern's builds. Especially with condi-cleanse and the mad support prowess running around~ If you nerf power/herald or power/rev then you need to spread some love elsewhere to keep the class from falling off again.

Well mainly, it's Herald meta that is stacked. The rest of the class outside of Herald is either meme-tier or never stacked. The big reason it is played by organized teams is because Rev in general has poor sustain but excellent engage and burst damage thanks to being able to stack multiple damage mods. When supported by a FB to make up for the sustain/condi weakness issue it can end up feeling like the class has no downside in the hands of a team built around it. Alone without support, most people consider the class pretty balanced.

A way to address the problem would thus be:-Forceful persistence. -> Reduced to 8% upkeep 2% Herald facets-Burst of strength -> Reduced to 10% damage buff on hit-Reinforced Potency -> Reduced to 0.75% damage per boon*Reasoning: Toning down Herald damage mods across the board addresses the issue that Herald gets too much free damage, and keeping it this way would mean the rest of the Rev class keeps getting nerfed around it.

-Swift termination -> Reduced to 15% damage buff*Reasoning: This is the one nerf outside Herald that is mainly needed because of double stacking Revs. Two Revs bursting the same target will gain the bonus from swift term way too quickly. This will also make the utility/sustain traits Brutality and Assassin's Annihilation more viable by being less outshined.

-Cleansing channel -> 2 conditions removed*Reasoning: This is a slight buff to Revs sustain that would make the above nerfs hurt less for Revs that are solo queuing ranked. When Revs have an FB in an organized team, they can just fall back for cleanses/Resistance, however this does not exist in Solo Q very much.

The TL;DR of it is that Herald damage mods were way overbuffed in the Herald rework a year ago or so, and it's really annoying to keep seeing all Core legends / traits / Renegade getting constantly nerfed due to an issue that is primarily due to how Herald can stack damage mods over +30%.

@Monkey See.1498 said:

@"Cal Cohen.2358" said:With that said it's definitely strong, and it's on our watch list following the next balance update along with symbol firebrand and weaver.

Weaver is probably the best 1v1 spec in the game right now. It does have some weaknesses notably how slow the meta build is since it can't afford lightning flash, probably the slowest in the game with only a minor amount of swiftness, air 2, and that's it.

But any build that can potentially stack 45 stacks of burning onto a target, effectively doing
18,000 damage per second in burning
, probably deserves a serious look in.

Can you please stop taking stuff out of context by clipping a tiny 12-second segment? That necro was using minions with Blood Magic and Unholy Martyr trait which transfers conditions from allies to the necro when he enters the shroud, in this case it transferred condis from his minions to him. So Grim didn't stack 45 stacks of burning, it's not an issue with the Fire Weaver build.

Here's the link to the stream twitch.tv/videos/503737460, the fight starts at about 02:40:35, he talks about the burning and trait interaction after the the fight was over. (for anyone who wants to know what actually happened there)

@Grimjack.8130 look how they clip your stream to witch-hunt the weaver, it's actually funny.

@Monkey See.1498 said:

@"Cal Cohen.2358" said:Rev is a class that's favored more by the best players, and the best players tend to win the monthly.

This is patently ridiculous on its face. Rev spent close to an entirely year through Path of Fire being largely abandoned by high end players because it wasn't considered good in the face of PoF power creep.

Then it received a plethora of buffs to its offhand sword as well as benefiting from nerfs to the over performing specs. At which point once it became one of the best builds in the gameas balance patches rolled in and
that's
when players looking to perform as good as possible swapped to it. The best players will flock to the highest performing specs, not the other way around.

Rev, or more specifically power herald had always been a high skill cap spec, leaving it untouched and you had situations like Toker swapping from thief to rev main and constantly winning 1v2s, but nerfing it too much to make it "balanced" at the high end leave it unviable as a spec to the average player that can't pull off the damage spike combos consistently.

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:

@Cal Cohen.2358 said:Rev is a class that's favored more by the best players, and the best players tend to win the monthly.

Then it received a plethora of buffs to its offhand sword as well as benefiting from nerfs to the over performing specs. At which point once it became one of the best builds in the gameas balance patches rolled in and
that's
when players looking to perform as good as possible swapped to it. The best players will flock to the highest performing specs, not the other way around.

Rev, or more specifically power herald had always been a high skill cap spec

Nah, not more or less than any other profession. When you're starting to look at 1,000s of matches played whatever individual nuances each specific class isn't going to jump out compared to others. It's not like picking Power Herald is like suddenly picking up Street Fighter 4 and forcing you to perfect 1frame combo links while everyone is playing plain ol' GW2 and achieving similar levels of effectiveness.

@Monkey See.1498 said:

that's

This. The game is largely about abusing the best picks and their counterpicks at the moment. Don't try and pretend otherwise, Anet.