Help with a Norn Thief

Brycar.2651

I am going to create a Norn thief who follows Snow Leopard spirit. I’m having trouble because I see most Norn as gentle giants who wear their hearts on their sleeve and enjoy ale at the moots. I can’t envision a sneaky thief.

Wiki says “ the norn are often tolerant of an individual to whom other races might treat with hostility by association, for example the Sons of Svanir are, to some extent, tolerated. There is no such thing as infamy to the norn. For example, a norn who achieves respect from their peers through deeds that might be considered "underhanded" by human standards has still accomplished what the norn value most, and is seen as equal to a norn who has performed more "respectable" acts.”

So I’m starting to think of a Hon Solo kind of Norn shady character but loveable rouge. He is willing to smuggle contraband and plunder a tomb but would help out a pal in need or get too friendly with the bad guys to spy on them.

What are your ideas to help flesh out my Norn thief?

@"Brycar.2651" said:I am going to create a Norn thief who follows Snow Leopard spirit. I’m having trouble because I see most Norn as gentle giants who wear their hearts on their sleeve and enjoy ale at the moots. I can’t envision a sneaky thief.

Wiki says “ the norn are often tolerant of an individual to whom other races might treat with hostility by association, for example the Sons of Svanir are, to some extent, tolerated. There is no such thing as infamy to the norn. For example, a norn who achieves respect from their peers through deeds that might be considered "underhanded" by human standards has still accomplished what the norn value most, and is seen as equal to a norn who has performed more "respectable" acts.”

So I’m starting to think of a Hon Solo kind of Norn shady character but loveable rouge. He is willing to smuggle contraband and plunder a tomb but would help out a pal in need or get too friendly with the bad guys to spy on them.

Most norn are not as kind as this game makes you believe, They are very savage and powerful one of the most if not the most powerful mortal race in tyria. They embody their animal spirit of whom chose them at birth and are individuals. There have been norn in the past who are all about the thrill of the kill and the desire to hunt and slay their enemies no matter the distance, its just not really well show-cased in this game. (They make legendary hunters/warriors, and all norn even have some tether to the mists.)

Norn Thief is a pretty great idea to me.

However, I don't think they are as love-able as we see them on everyday. Let's go for the easy example and spoiler.

Eir Stegalkin didn't really pay much attention to her son Braham because she was focused on her own legend. As mentioned above - norns are individuals, and can abandon their families to build their name.That is actually a pretty cool concept when it comes to a Thief.

Today, norns are portrayed as these "big people" with a simple sense of humor, a kind of a drinking problem and a great strength. That doesn't mean they can't be shady, manipulative or deceptive. Even though they seem to be a huge family, I'd say norns are very selfish and egocentric.

@"DonArkanio.6419" said:Norn Thief is a pretty great idea to me.

However, I don't think they are as love-able as we see them on everyday. Let's go for the easy example and spoiler.

Eir Stegalkin didn't really pay much attention to her son Braham because she was focused on her own legend. As mentioned above - norns are individuals, and can abandon their families to build their name.That is actually a pretty cool concept when it comes to a Thief.

Today, norns are portrayed as these "big people" with a simple sense of humor, a kind of a drinking problem and a great strength. That doesn't mean they can't be shady, manipulative or deceptive. Even though they seem to be a huge family, I'd say norns are very selfish and egocentric.

Eh... too many people have this idea that because we now see a lot more of the Norn (especially the drunk, fun party goers), that all norn are like that. It's just that GW1 we saw a narrow grouping of Norn, and now we see a lot more.

Norn are just as cunning, sneaky and fierce as they are friendly and loving.

@"Brycar.2651" said:I am going to create a Norn thief who follows Snow Leopard spirit. I’m having trouble because I see most Norn as gentle giants who wear their hearts on their sleeve and enjoy ale at the moots. I can’t envision a sneaky thief.

A: There is a canon short of a young Norn male viciously seeking out vengance on another norn who cheated at a game, won his father's lodge, then murdered him when he attacked. He trapped her in the wild and, IIRC, left her to die horribly. Norn can be incredibly sneaky, and very dark, just as much as they can be lovable and loud. In PS there is one norn archer who when becoming risen stalks his team (and the PC), slaughtering them one by one, in total silence and never being seen.

B: Sons of Svanir are tolerated inside Hoelbrek, as long as they behave and don't do a thing. In most other homesteads, they are killed on sight (often because they attack). Even Hoelbrek has a limit of what you can or can't do. Frankly your idea fits a norn fairly well. Norn smugglers exist, and they'd definitely help their friends out.