As title says, after experiencing every niches and corners of Revenant I figured that I'd put out what I think needs to be changed from mostly a PvP perspective, but also PvE.
Tweaks have made it so the weapon is actually not too strong, not too weak. I wouldn't touch it.
It's got weird unnecessary changes that definitely nerfed core Revenant as a whole and has made Staff a must have alternative.
- Duelist Preparation needs to be brought back into the mix ahead of Shackling Waves and work like Counterattack from Ranger Greatsword, putting the simple gameplay and damage down significantly, providing some sustain without losing any of that damage. Taking out the "Must rush and jump only on everyone at once." type of mentality, we have Deathstrike for that.
- Deathstrike needs to be slowed down slightly and have it's effects rolled back. This drastically nerfed Jalis stance because the conditions were used to cover Weakness, now Power Shiro/Dwarf is almost useless to play compared Condition Mallyx/Jalis. Chill and Slow were also there to make the final hit possible and less risky, now it's clunky and still missing sometime but the fast skill also often desync which makes evading it stupidly clunky as the old one usually had the player moving to update with the first hit. Also it's common that Deathstrike is used with Phase Traversal, Quickness compensates for how usually slow the skill was compared to the past, which now is really stupid fast.
It feels just right, but could use one simple change.
- Quickness needs to affect Echoing Eruption, it's one of the main damage output that cannot be helped which is already quite telegraphed. Leaps like Weaver and Holosmith already can be sped up, so this is no limitation whatsoever.
It's perfect, it hits that sweet spot where you can make it work with pretty much anything but also exceeds at what it's meant to do.
It's in a great spot with the changes it's got, I know a lot of people got upset at the changes to the 2nd skill, I did too but this makes the whole weapon less trivial as well as adding value to the 5th skill, balancing it for already how strong it is. The 3rd skill was also no exception, extremely strong before, now there's some actual input to it.
Currently regarded as nerfed (Also Skill 2 broken, anet pls fix.), but overall by design all the skills should do the same damage, this uniformity compensates greatly for how telegraphed the skills are, still 2 things I would change but otherwise I consider it to be quite strong.
- 5th Skill to do the same amount of damage as 2 and 3.
- Rework the 2nd skill entirely as a large penetrating projectile, the current one makes it a clunky/nonviable weapon in most PvP maps due to terrain complexity. Edit on that, it would work as a non reflectable effect, like a long rectangle AoE granted it doesn't get affected by terrain like Blunderbuss from Rifle Engineer, could be an updated visual long range shockwave rather than earthquake.
There's been a few changes here that were quite too much for Revenant and that they should be reviewed again for the sake of the class health as this is one of the main traitline used.
- Incensed Response needed to be nerfed, I agree with Anet's reasoning, but not like this. Roll back the nerf and either reduce the Might Duration or the amount of Might gained. Do it for WvW as well, not just PvP, the synergy is broken on Herald, that's it. Otherwise it's useless.
- Charged Mists requirements are too high and makes it purely a PvE trait until the required energy is increased to 25, it's already hard enough to keep the energy low while being effective and stunbreaking at the same time, traits should work together not against each other. If you really want to make it casual, have no requirement at all and just grant 25 energy on legend swap in combat, players are giving up on instant invoking effects/critical chance for this, it wouldn't break balance at all.
- Roiling Mists was nerfed along many things, including Main-Hand Sword and Incensed Response which was too much, it hit Revenant greatly and not so much for Herald nor Renegade. It needs to be brought back the way it was.
Most changes have been justified, nothing to lose hope on. Damage was really high, but one trait really stands out.
- Ferocious Strikes needs to be reworked or buffed.
- Assassin's Annihilation should always Siphon no matter the direction that someone is facing, it's too situational and the ICD only makes that worst. Vengeful Hammers even though are hitting on the sides doesn't always count either. Comparably to Steadfast Rejuvenation, this trait has the potential to encourage aggressive play for sustain as well as giving the opportunity to use Versed in Stone more likely, given Shiro/Dwarf Revenants are extremely vulnerable to condition bursts. Best put, an "offensive" Steadfast Rejuvenation.
Ever since the rework, Condition based builds have been extremely fun and viable for powerful plays, but some things should still be adjusted.
- Replenishing Despair needs it's ICD removed entirely and count every stacks of a condition. I've already posted why it should be and can be seen https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/89726/replenishing-despair#latest
- Spontaneous Destruction needs a reduced ICD due to being a lesser skill compared the actual skill. Something in between 20 and 10 Seconds. It's only 2 boon, compared the latter of benefits and duration of confusion, it's insignificant.
- Yearning Empowerment needs to be swapped with Pulsating Pestilence. From the Invocation stand point of stunbreak as well as Maniacal Persistence makes more sense to be this way.
- Diabolic Inferno following the changes with Pulsating Pestilence and Yearning Empowerment, Burning should also be improved in damage and duration by 20%.
The design of the traits is good, but some of the ICDs are making them bad.
- Close Quarters is a very low bonus to trade off Planar Protection, considering it destroy projectiles at range, it applies Weakness at close. Make the trait damage reduction distance based and up to 20% from the furthest which would be more reasonable given that there's nothing to gain from being "Close Quarters" with it.
- Spiritual Reckoning ICD is high for how short the boon is. Increasing the duration to 5 seconds would fix that. Removing the ICD would make it spammable with certain legends which is bad, so please address the boon duration.
- Eye for an Eye ICD too high, asking for Jalis players to not get stunned every so often with all the boon removal, 25 seconds would be more reasonable, the trait really has to be godly to justify not taking Dwarven Battle Training, so I would go as far as saying that instead of Might on stunbreak, rework the trait with Stability on stunbreak and replace 5 seconds of Protection with 5 seconds of Retaliation, this would make it compete with Dwarven Battle Training.
- Versed in Stone the toughness benefit in PvP is too low, should be at least as high as Armored Attack like on Warrior.
This traitline is actually good and fairly varied, the only problem is orbs. Please Anet, either rework the traits based on orbs altogether or make the orbs track players. There's too much visual clutter or RNG to make it viable. Fragments are already random enough.
Skills / Stances
Very good addition that contributes in keeping Revenant relevant in the game, it wouldn't be the same without it since it was extremely hard to play otherwise. There's just this one bug with Versed in Stone not counting towards Rite of the Great Dwarf from Ancient Echo which really needs to be fixed, considering how often it's used. For both Shiro and Ventari it would be very useful to work accordingly.
The most popular so it's kept in check a lot, but there's still one thing that really needs to be changed.
This one is really powerful but requires such precise plays and in team fights it's always likely to be killed if targeted due to the following.
- Project Tranquility should "tether" the Tablet and "follow" the player until Ventari's Will is used where manual control is took until Energy Expulsion is used to reset it back to tether. This is an important change that needs to be looked into with how clunky it is to handle, have the players will lose the benefits of using anything that relates to a healing skill such as Blindness from Blinding Truths or runes that provide extra benefits from using it often, it balances the playstyle out.
- Purifying Essence absolutely needs to be a stunbreak, make it happen so that the legend can finally step out of the Glint/Jalis combo's, it sucks to be so limited. There is too much CC in the game to say that one legend should not have one. Even if the Tablet can be handled while stunned among other things, the pressure is too great, Ventari bonuses are all outgoing, there's nothing to recover from a stunlock the moment a whole entire zerg decides to focus the user entering the stance. While at it, an additional condition for a total of 4 and 30 energy to unify around the other stunbreak skills.
Fantastic rework from Anet on that one, while I do miss the old AoE spam. This is miles better than the old glaring issues Unyielding Anguish and Embrace the Darkness had. Quite nearly perfect I'd say, but one thing that really needs to be added.
- Empowering Misery needs to have Resistance as baseline without trait, it's such a ridiculous idea to ask players having many conditions on them to quickly lose everything again. Demonic Defiance ICD is also separate from the healing skill itself which means in the end there's still 4 seconds of Resistance to be had regardless whether it grants Resistance or not after using another Demon skill, just fix it so it's actually all uniform per skill plus the heal skill baseline Resistance.
Mostly another good rework, but the same glaring issues still remain even if by design Dwarf is never meant to be CC'd it's "unavoidable" with the boon rip spam, so to suggest along the rest.
- Soothing Stone should grant 586 (0.15) Barrier per condition removed and actually remove all of them if anything because it's awful how by default Revenant even with Vengeful Hammers is really weak to conditions yet allowed to tank them. A full cleanse skill isn't something Revenant has yet and should by now, be rewarded to actually use the skill at the right time as well is something of a healthy change for the entire class and it's weakness to condition damage. Post about it here https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/89103/soothing-stone-is-out-of-date#latest
- Forced Engagement needs PvP uniformity compared it's PvE counter part, 15 seconds puts up for rather clunky followings when it barely lasts 2 seconds. Giving it something lower in between 15 and 10 seconds for PvP/WvW would actually make the stance more attractive for many.
- Rite of the Great Dwarf already went over that on https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/87579/rite-of-the-great-dwarf-its-time-to-put-it-in-line-with-the-other-skills#latest as td;lr, the casting takes too long and ruins the flow. A buff to ¾ cast time would fine tune the legend to perfection with it's abilities because in a whole second a lot can happen already, Revenant doesn't need to be that much of telegraphed.
Good asset to any bruiser/sustain builds, but both skills could use some work.
- Envoy of Exuberance is.. Alright, but please make the hitbox bigger, move faster as well as fixing Aegis blocking the skill.. Also the sending/returning energy to grant Protection consistently from to teammates/users, it has potent uses but those needs to be polished.
- Crystal Hybernation with such a big root might as well maybe make blocking 4 seconds, just like the same amount of pulses (Not sure on that one). Those pulses should also affect allies in a radius of 360, make Herald be more supportive oriented so that most can finally stop complaining at how selfish of a skill it is even though there's many like it in the game.
Herald has only one trait that really is lacking.
- Core Value needs to do twice of what it already does. Every benefits from it are not good enough to pick over Rising Momentum. Edit: This could actually be overpowered and over doing it because True Nature affects multiple targets. Instead of just affecting True Nature alone, it should also improve the Facet of Nature passive by 50% their effects.
- Elevated Compassion should heal up to 5 (Capped) times the amount based on the number of boons granted just like Resilient Spirit except to teammates only.
- Facet of Nature—Assassin Life Steal Damage: 80 (0.0666) and Life Steal Healing: 128 (0.0333), given this would make it also more effective for teammates since it uses the affected player's power/healing power and not the Herald's.
- Facet of Nature—Centaur heals for 707 every 3 seconds.
- Facet of Nature—Demon transfers 2 conditions every 3 seconds.
- Facet of Nature—Dwarf gives 15% damage reduction.
- Facet of Nature—Dragon gives +30% boon duration.
All of the effects are rounded up as well.
Again, most of those skills are quite fine tuned aside a few things.
- True Nature is the best change Herald has seen in it's entire existence, I'm very glad Anet has done it but that nerf on Assassin for the radius is terrible, just remove the damage and restore the radius on it. Keep things uniform please. Edit: Also reduce the upkeep to 2 across all game modes, 3 is too much to make the player want to keep it's passive for a while.
- Gaze of Darkness changes are great, even though it was bugged for a while. The radius increase is quite welcomed but if the Revealed cannot be applied unless the foe is in stealth, I and most people would agree that they'd prefer the old one because prevention does a lot more than just hoping to time it right as Stealth is used, people can evade it.
- Chaotic Release is an odd one, does it really deserve to not have 20 seconds cooldown where we have a CC on all legends that have a much lower cooldown that shares similar if not more reliable features as they are much less telling than this skill. Pretty sure people were just thrown off by the fact it was quicker and not used often when it was buffed.
Good, but EXTREMELY clunky..
- Bloodbane Path increase the hitbox and velocity of the projectiles so that they actually hit.
- Sevenshot needs to be a beautiful circle of arrow that projects in a concentrated dot in front of the player rather than forcing the player to have the perfect distance, timing and accuracy to land full damage while it's cool looking but a worthless design at any range that doesn't respect it.
- Spiritcrush directional requirement is terrible, there shouldn't be a need for line of sight when arrows are shot strategically in a portal regardless. Bloodbane Path doesn't so why this one?
- Scorchrazor ruins the flow with it's ¾ cast time, very often it goes on full cooldown even though the skill didn't even cast as the user try to kite. Make it uniform with the rest of it's skills with ½ cast time or fix the influence of movement on it.
All of those are really strong, it's hard to find any flaws into them. Maybe I haven't played enough Renegade but for the most part trying to come up with anything that doesn't seem overpowered to the specialization is really hard.
Same for these, there's little to come up with without tipping the balance upside down.
- Citadel Bombardment cooldown is the only one that stands out as why is it even so high in PvP/WvW? Should be the same that PvE has, the ordnance is pretty RNG and players have a rather small hitbox.
And that's it, I wanted to come up with this right before the patch and so I did with all the time I had to try out mostly everything. See if anything gets predicted or eventually tweaked to in the future. Coming from someone who plays other than Herald in PvP which is a lot of fun. Don't let people tell you it anything else isn't viable. It's quite powerful if you play as an actual Revenant and not the latter like other professions. Adapt to the playstyle, Anet has really put some thought into it and it's quite amazing all the things that can be pulled off despite being locked on specific set of skills.
Edit: Added Facet of Nature Nov. 22 2019
Edit: Added Ancient Echo Dec. 7 2019
Edit: Added Elevated Compassion Dec. 12 2019