Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

@"ArmoredVehicle.2849" said:The package is indeed fully open source, it basically consists of plain Wine + the staging patches, a few self made scripts and a pre-configured prefix with D9VK and pre-set registry settings. I'm a bit at a crossroads in which way I could provide the source though. A simple possible way would be to upload a pre-patched Wine source code and my own settings in a separate folders, although for the latter I'll have to write some documentation to explain how it works.You can fork all other sources (Wine, DXVK, ..) into your GitHub project and apply all your changes into your own development branch. For a start, I would suggest just using a page like GitHub as a start and just Gitea at home. Especially if you didn't use git so far pages like GitHub provide a lot of other convenient tools which makes your work much easier.Gitea is great for local development and you can publish the latest release on GitHub e.g.. Git is decentralized anyways, therefore, even if GitHub would ever die, your code is always yours and safe as GitHub only is a frontend. Additionally, you can publish release files of max. 2GB each, too. As it is an Open Source project everything is for free , too.I did check up on Gitea as self hosting would be my preferred method, it would do quite well on a raspberry pi. I'll have to read a bit on using git though, I'm pretty much a noob at that :)GitHub has a very nice git learning page. Registering is easy and you can just start uploading your project, publish a first v0.1 release and let the community start opening new issues instead of writing in this very long thread.

With Gitea you need your own web server, domain and bandwidth. If you don't like working with git command line you can also use Github's Desktop or other GUI Clients as a start. It will be much easier for people asking you via Issues and it makes it much easier for you and your audience to ask and answer questions. It is worth it IMHO.

Sorry, I can't read all this thread, but did you manage to run
Arcdps + GW2Hook
with your solution?I haven't tested GW2Hook. But I can confirm Arcdps and GW2Radial work well. Additionally I also tried GW2Taco and the game renders to a black screen when trying to load it.I had the same with GW2Taco. GW2Hooks chain loaded via ArcDPS does not even start GW2 launcher. It just freezes here. I just had the hope you got a bit further into debugging the issue already. Reshader64 may work, but for now I read that GW2 hooks provides a better interface.

Hi everybody,

I tried Guild Wars 2 with lutris, it's working but i encounter some fps drop (my laptop is not good at all for gaming but fps should be stable)I wanted to try this version but i have one issue (i don't know if someone already had the same): Installation worked great but when i launch the game the launchers appears but without any text so i can't do anything. I noticed that it still download game in background. As it's working in lutris there may be a solution but don't know where to fin. (i can provide logs if needed)

I'm on fedora 31 with AMD Ryzen 5 2400u and amd vega 8 GPU (I installed the AMD/intel version)

EDIT: I found the way to search in this topic, so i'm installing wine now, i will keep this updatedEDIT 2: Ok so installing wine in wine (with all dependencies solved the issue) Now the GW2 icon is replaced by wine icon but it's not that important

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@Kiso.8465 said:would gw2 run better on a windows or comparatively to an i3 z50-(think its 70) lenovo model?

If it has an i3-5005U or better, you can get good performance in 720p (1280x720). If you get any links feel free to post them I'll help as best as I can.

also i dont understand maps kinda, into some i can't load at all, in others i load and if i walk into a certain area the character gets locked out/ cant connect anymore stuck on like 1.60% XD

and it gives a fatal crash but with 30% memory usage etc so i dno

so i think i have some badsectors?

and im wondering if theres a distro that's good for /newer users/ but could run it so i just reinstall the entire thing cause i currently just have a non particioned mint version on hdd, i ndo how much it has of an effect

Hi! The latest version is running great on my stationary computer (GTX1070), and an older version (1.6) has been running good on my laptop (970M). Tried the latest release for NVIDIA and keep getting this when running debug.sh

003c:fixme:ddraw:ddraw7_Initialize Ignoring guid {86e0ef35-32bd-c688-406c-14cdec5be554}. 003c:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work. 003c:fixme:msctf:ThreadMgrSource_AdviseSink (0x127ab70) Unhandled Sink: {ea1ea136-19df-11d7-a6d2-00065b84435c} 003c:fixme:imm:ImmDisableTextFrameService Stub 003c:fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x30066 0x00000000 003c:err:seh:RtlUnwindEx invalid frame 2d90008 (0x2c92000-0x2d90000) 003c:err:seh:call_stack_handlers invalid frame 2d90010 (0x2c92000-0x2d90000) 003c:err:seh:NtRaiseException Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception. Any idea what might be wrong? Running Ubuntu 18.04, latest kernel 5.7.8 and NVIDIA drivers 440.

also this was the error i was getting --> Crash <--Fatal Error: Fatal disk-error (0: Success.) on read,App: Gw2-64.exePid: 70BaseAddr: 0000000140000000ProgramId: 101Build: 100075When: 2019-10-30T08:43:45Z 2019-10-30T09:43:45+01:00Uptime: 0 days 0:26:51Flags: 0

Processors: 4 [GenuineIntel:6:10:9]OSVersion: Windows 6.1 (64 bit)

--> System Memory <--Physical: 1404MB/ 3646MB 38%Paged: 3433MB/ 5694MB 60%Virtual: 134217727MB/134217727MB 3%Load: 61%CommitTotal: 3166MBCommitLimit: 5694MBCommitPeak: 0MBSystemCache: 0MBHandleCount: 4672ProcessCount: 7ThreadCount: 77

--> Process Memory <--Private: 0MBWorkingSet: 1609MBPeakWorkingSet: 1629MBPageFaults: 0

@Kiso.8465 said:also this was the error i was getting --> Crash <--Fatal Error: Fatal disk-error (0: Success.) on read,App: Gw2-64.exePid: 70BaseAddr: 0000000140000000ProgramId: 101Build: 100075When: 2019-10-30T08:43:45Z 2019-10-30T09:43:45+01:00Uptime: 0 days 0:26:51Flags: 0

--> System Memory <--Physical: 1404MB/ 3646MB 38%Paged: 3433MB/ 5694MB 60%Virtual: 134217727MB/134217727MB 3%Load: 61%CommitTotal: 3166MBCommitLimit: 5694MBCommitPeak: 0MBSystemCache: 0MBHandleCount: 4672ProcessCount: 7ThreadCount: 77

--> Process Memory <--Private: 0MBWorkingSet: 1609MBPeakWorkingSet: 1629MBPageFaults: 0

Did you get to doing a disk scan? Failing to read from disk means most likely that the game's data file is corrupted, and there's a good chance it's because the hard drive is already aged enough to wear out (is it a rotational HDD which is over five years old? That's the recommended lifespan for traditional disks).

@Skotlex.7580 said:

@Kiso.8465 said:also this was the error i was getting
--> Crash <--
Fatal Error: Fatal disk-error (0: Success.) on read,App: Gw2-64.exePid: 70BaseAddr: 0000000140000000ProgramId: 101Build: 100075When: 2019-10-30T08:43:45Z 2019-10-30T09:43:45+01:00Uptime: 0 days 0:26:51Flags: 0

--> System Memory <--
Physical: 1404MB/ 3646MB 38%Paged: 3433MB/ 5694MB 60%Virtual: 134217727MB/134217727MB 3%Load: 61%CommitTotal: 3166MBCommitLimit: 5694MBCommitPeak: 0MBSystemCache: 0MBHandleCount: 4672ProcessCount: 7ThreadCount: 77

--> Process Memory <--
Private: 0MBWorkingSet: 1609MBPeakWorkingSet: 1629MBPageFaults: 0

Did you get to doing a disk scan? Failing to read from disk means most likely that the game's data file is corrupted, and there's a good chance it's because the hard drive is already aged enough to wear out (is it a rotational HDD which is over five years old? That's the recommended lifespan for traditional disks).

yeah the hdd is old that's why i wondered if i could write around it cause im not kinda willing to get an hdd but im looking for an ssd that would be the primary storage for important stuff? yeah it has bad sectors so im not sure if it can be repaired and so on

@Kiso.8465 said:

@Kiso.8465 said:also this was the error i was getting
--> Crash <--
Fatal Error: Fatal disk-error (0: Success.) on read,Did you get to doing a disk scan? Failing to read from disk means most likely that the game's data file is corrupted, and there's a good chance it's because the hard drive is already aged enough to wear out (is it a rotational HDD which is over five years old? That's the recommended lifespan for traditional disks).

yeah the hdd is old that's why i wondered if i could write around it cause im not kinda willing to get an hdd but im looking for an ssd that would be the primary storage for important stuff? yeah it has bad sectors so im not sure if it can be repaired and so on

Look into how to do a hdd analysis for bad sectors, it's possible for the OS to store a list of them so that it avoids writing to them. The problem is, an old disk will continue deteriorating, and more bad sectors will appear, you'll most likely start getting random crashes and corrupted files for all you have stored.

If you value your data, I'd suggest holding off from gaming until the disk issue can be fixed.

Here's a guide to get you started on detecting bad sectors, though it applies to partitions formatted with ext2,so you'd have to seek which is the command for your used filesystem:https://www.linuxtechi.com/check-hard-drive-for-bad-sector-linux/amp/

about hdd: if your harddisk shows bad sectors, it means all the RESERVE SECTORS the firmware uses to cover for some wear&tear are gone.

Which means your harddisk is dying FAST. It isn't a matter of years or month, you are looking into a days-weeks scenario here. I had hdd dying in a matter of hours between first sector bad all-hope-is-lost. Besides nothing on the disk can be trusted anymore either.

Also that techi link? Useless, you might find some bad sectors, but you never know when and where or even if the firmware will map them around. So you might run into a 'this time this sector was bad but next time it isn't. But the sector 1000 higher is marked bad' scenario - which in reality is the same freaking sector. Last but not least: whatever killed those sectors will probably kill more very soon. It might be surface is delaminating (lots of debris inside, prepare for headcrash soon), it might be alignment issues (oh boy) it might be the formula just giving up (and then there is nothing preventing the rest going bad soon), it might be the electronics to sense and write the magnetic fields going funky (and nothing on the disk is save).

So get a new disk. They are cheap.

@Subtractive.9830 said:Hi! The latest version is running great on my stationary computer (GTX1070), and an older version (1.6) has been running good on my laptop (970M). Tried the latest release for NVIDIA and keep getting this when running debug.sh

003c:fixme:ddraw:ddraw7_Initialize Ignoring guid {86e0ef35-32bd-c688-406c-14cdec5be554}. 003c:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work. 003c:fixme:msctf:ThreadMgrSource_AdviseSink (0x127ab70) Unhandled Sink: {ea1ea136-19df-11d7-a6d2-00065b84435c} 003c:fixme:imm:ImmDisableTextFrameService Stub 003c:fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x30066 0x00000000 003c:err:seh:RtlUnwindEx invalid frame 2d90008 (0x2c92000-0x2d90000) 003c:err:seh:call_stack_handlers invalid frame 2d90010 (0x2c92000-0x2d90000) 003c:err:seh:NtRaiseException Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception. Any idea what might be wrong? Running Ubuntu 18.04, latest kernel 5.7.8 and NVIDIA drivers 440.

If the game is working fine, then you can safely ignore those errors. According to that log it's pointing to some midi error and I doubt the game uses those anyway. As for your laptop with the 970M, you can use the latest version, The 1.6 package is aimed at much older systems which don't have Vulkan support.

@"EagleDelta.4726" said:Anyone have issues with the "Copy Template" button with the new build templates? Been trying to copy the chat code out and it never actually copies it. Have not tried with another GW2 install method yet (i.e. Lutris)

@"EagleDelta.4726" said:Anyone have issues with the "Copy Template" button with the new build templates? Been trying to copy the chat code out and it never actually copies it. Have not tried with another GW2 install method yet (i.e. Lutris)

Just had some time to test it, working fine for me, I can copy the template code both in game chat and outside of it.

@McPero.3287 said:When I install it with lutris and I open GW2 launcher in order to download the game and play it it freezes my computer. Any ideas?

Try to install Wine from your package manager first, you don't have to use your distro's default Wine build itself but it's a nice way to install the most common dependencies.

@"Hayspat.3561" said:How do i get arcdps + gw2radial + d9vk working together?

Hi, it's done in the same way as on Windows, by placing the dll's in the game's "bin64" folder, it can be found in "your_gw2_folder/data/drive_c/GW2". Place arcdps' d3d9.dll in it, as for getting GW2radial to work, place it in the same folder but rename it to 'd3d9_chainload.dll'

@"Hayspat.3561" said:I put arcdps as d3d9.dll, gw2radial as d3d9_chainload.dll and d9vk as d3d9_mchain.dll.Arcdps and d9vk works and gw2radial successfully chainloads d9vk but when i press shift+alt+m to open gw2radial settings nothing happens.

If you're using my package, you don't need to apply d9vk, it comes with it already.

I just tried the latest builds of arcdps together with gw2radial and they're working fine. The d9vk files are located in the 'windows/system32' folder.APAHOYT.jpg

Hey everyone, I have a bit of puzzle I'd like your opinion about. Early next year I'm planning to update the package to a more recent version of Wine and I've been thinking of compiling it with FAudio support (Git page: https://github.com/FNA-XNA/FAudio), to keep it short, FAudio is a reimplementation of the DirectX Audio and has helped a number of games in Wine.

I'd like to get an idea how many of you have this package available for your system, for Debian/Ubuntu and derivatives this can be found as package name "libfaudio0", for Arch based distros "faudio".

Let me know what you think :)

debug.sh terminal output https://pastebin.com/fZ4wXMSHdebug.sh screenshot in character select screen https://imgur.com/a/zzwcy7yinxi -F https://pastebin.com/R16FA88MThe game is fine when using default wine, the menu sizes are wack and there is no motion whatsoever except for when I alt+tab around. getting the launcher to show was a hassle all on it's own, I feel like I'm doing something seriously wrong but I can't tell what.