Is there a server that *likes* rangers?

Laurencius.9258

@Mokk.2397 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@"Voltekka.2375" said:Dont give up playing what you want. Rangers can be very useful when not being in squads (you can easily follow the tag outside the squad) and pewpew stray/overextending scourges or weavers, you can barrage aoe spots weavers or revs cant, you can CC people so others can pick em off easier.You dont need a squad for that. Just learn how to move along the tag, anticipate enemy movement, and the rest is easy.

But here's where the trap inherently lays with Commanders disliking Ranger in a zerg. Your not accepted into a zerg. So you don't get the buffs you would get from say being part of the squad. Because you don't get those uptime boons from the other players in your squad, your less likely to survive in a head on engagement with enemy forces. When the smoke clears, the commander looks around, sees the dead Ranger and goes, "Oh, I see the Ranger's sucked again and can't survive...." Are we not surviving because we WERE not part of the squad, and would have received some sort of healing/BOONS, which we didn't. Or did we not survive because we didn't have the "Right Build". Either way, the commander goes, "This is the reason why I don't like Ranger's. They can't survive. They don't give anything to the group....their useless." AGAIN...I blame Anet.

I haven't seen A THING from ONE OF YOU in nearly the last three years that came close to committing to creating a Ranger Build that stands head and shoulders ABOVE the rest of the classes, for a complete and total acceptance of a Ranger into a zerg. I have yet to see a Commander go, "kitten, we need more Rangers in our group if we're going to win this...." NO, have you seen that? Has Arenanet DEVS seen that? No, they have not. I have not. You have not.

So whose to blame? The Ranger. Or the people that made all the mechanics for Ranger. Whose the more foolish. The fool that plays the class, or the eggheads that created the class.

so what? with many coms eles don't get any support and we are trying to flank all the time. Without boons, heals, support. And we are still welcome. Because when two weavers put their MS on a zerg the enemy's firebrands are suddenly very busy.

And rangers don't put down that kind of damage. Even if there were rangers in the squad, they were always outdamaged by the elementalists and revs. Always.

So rangers bring nothing to the squad when it comes to boons, they do not bring anything to the squad when it comes to damage. The only thing they are good for is pew pewing siege where LoS is an issue. Rangers do not need to be in the squad to do that.

Curious. If elementalist and reverent deal more damage then why did Soulbeast end up with the nerfs to damage and counter to blocks . One side says Rangers are over powered but commanders say Rangers are under powered . Which is it ? I constantly hear that Soulbeast needs nerfing and it does get nerfed . But neither the complainers nor Anet can realistically explain why . The recent changes to Great sword and Long bow are perfect examples of unrealistic changes with less than adequate explanation as to why core weapons suddenly gets changed after seven years. The unblockable after entering Beast mode also Unrealistic considering the amount of projectile denial that currently exists. So by your explanation rangers have been and are now under powered yet Rangers were then as well as now uninvited to the squad . It simply boils down to the fact that people have gotten so used to expelling and hating rangers they simply can't come up with a realistic explanation as to why.Hated so much that Rangers are Set Up to Fail by receiving Zero support from the rest group.When included in the group and supported with the group, Rangers can do enormous amounts of damage as I can testify when monitored for DPS.The rangers are always in the top Five.

That is because in general, revs and weavers do much more dmg - SHOULD do much more dmg - on a similarly skilled player to a ranger in a blob. The fact that a ranger does more is cause 1. Your revs and other dps suck, and/or 2. That is a highly skilled ranger who knows the hows and whens of his class, and doesnt just spam lb attacks that get permareflected 95% of the time, thus being a liability. In my server, i know 2 rangers that can pull good dps off, from the... 100+ that play ranger. That should explain things.

You also dont get that roaming/small scale is a thing as well, where ranger outclasses almost everything. Thats why dmg was nerfed .

@Mokk.2397 said:

@"Voltekka.2375" said:Dont give up playing what you want. Rangers can be very useful when not being in squads (you can easily follow the tag outside the squad) and pewpew stray/overextending scourges or weavers, you can barrage aoe spots weavers or revs cant, you can CC people so others can pick em off easier.You dont need a squad for that. Just learn how to move along the tag, anticipate enemy movement, and the rest is easy.

But here's where the trap inherently lays with Commanders disliking Ranger in a zerg. Your not accepted into a zerg. So you don't get the buffs you would get from say being part of the squad. Because you don't get those uptime boons from the other players in your squad, your less likely to survive in a head on engagement with enemy forces. When the smoke clears, the commander looks around, sees the dead Ranger and goes, "Oh, I see the Ranger's sucked again and can't survive...." Are we not surviving because we WERE not part of the squad, and would have received some sort of healing/BOONS, which we didn't. Or did we not survive because we didn't have the "Right Build". Either way, the commander goes, "This is the reason why I don't like Ranger's. They can't survive. They don't give anything to the group....their useless." AGAIN...I blame Anet.

I haven't seen A THING from ONE OF YOU in nearly the last three years that came close to committing to creating a Ranger Build that stands head and shoulders ABOVE the rest of the classes, for a complete and total acceptance of a Ranger into a zerg. I have yet to see a Commander go, "kitten, we need more Rangers in our group if we're going to win this...." NO, have you seen that? Has Arenanet DEVS seen that? No, they have not. I have not. You have not.

So whose to blame? The Ranger. Or the people that made all the mechanics for Ranger. Whose the more foolish. The fool that plays the class, or the eggheads that created the class.

so what? with many coms eles don't get any support and we are trying to flank all the time. Without boons, heals, support. And we are still welcome. Because when two weavers put their MS on a zerg the enemy's firebrands are suddenly very busy.

And rangers don't put down that kind of damage. Even if there were rangers in the squad, they were always outdamaged by the elementalists and revs. Always.

So rangers bring nothing to the squad when it comes to boons, they do not bring anything to the squad when it comes to damage. The only thing they are good for is pew pewing siege where LoS is an issue. Rangers do not need to be in the squad to do that.

Curious. If elementalist and reverent deal more damage then why did Soulbeast end up with the nerfs to damage and counter to blocks . One side says Rangers are over powered but commanders say Rangers are under powered . Which is it ?

easy: soulbeast does way too much damage on smallscale/1v1 engagement. There its dps is totally over the top. Especially with the stupid long range, easy access to stealth, high survivability AND a pet to tank for him.

In a decent sized squad on the other hand, ranger damage is nothing to be proud off.

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

Good rangers bring a crapload of damage. I’m typically in the top 5 damage in the squad and down and finish a lot of enemy.

yeah, on your single target or when people do not pop their reflects. But it is hard to reflect an MS back to the enemy - and for killing downed players, the necros do that very well. While corrupting boons.

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

Good rangers bring a crapload of damage. I’m typically in the top 5 damage in the squad and down and finish a lot of enemy.

yeah, on your single target or when people do not pop their reflects. But it is hard to reflect an MS back to the enemy - and for killing downed players, the necros do that very well. While corrupting boons.

I typically and consistently hit multiple targets at once. l2p ranger then tell me I’m not doing what I’m doing. ?

Rangers and thieves are titts on a bull in a large scale fight. They are the most selfish builds to run in large scale. They contribute little to the health of the zerg, their AoE damage is anemic compared to other classes and when a map is queued having them weakens the zerg as a whole. Their best uses are scouting and flipping.

Add on that most Rangers are cowards that prefer to fight from walls and most won't roam beyond their ability to run into a group or structure safely despite being a roaming built class. They are the go-to class for players that want to "win" fights but don't want to actually risk anything or improve their overall skill. Not all rangers fit that description but nobody can argue that playing one lumps them together with the others.

I main a non-stealth thief and have to live with similar objections to my preferred class.

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:Good rangers bring a crapload of damage. I’m typically in the top 5 damage in the squad and down and finish a lot of enemy.

Whatever squad you are running with must be horrible. If Barrage/Rapid Fire is doing anything every decent Rev, Scourge and Staff Ele should drop significantly more damage in comparison. A Rev and Scourge isn't even rooted while they are dishing out the AoE, corrupting boons, etc.

@"Straegen.2938" said:Rangers and thieves are titts on a bull in a large scale fight. They are the most selfish builds to run in large scale. They contribute little to the health of the zerg, their AoE damage is anemic compared to other classes and when a map is queued having them weakens the zerg as a whole. Their best uses are scouting and flipping.

Add on that most Rangers are cowards that prefer to fight from walls and most won't roam beyond their ability to run into a group or structure safely despite being a roaming built class. They are the go-to class for players that want to "win" fights but don't want to actually risk anything or improve their overall skill. Not all rangers fit that description but nobody can argue that playing one lumps them together with the others.

I main a non-stealth thief and have to live with similar objections to my preferred class.

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:Good rangers bring a crapload of damage. I’m typically in the top 5 damage in the squad and down and finish a lot of enemy.

Whatever squad you are running with must be horrible. If Barrage/Rapid Fire is doing anything every decent Rev, Scourge and Staff Ele should drop significantly more damage in comparison. A Rev and Scourge isn't even rooted while they are dishing out the AoE, corrupting boons, etc.

As stated earlier.. you just don’t know me.

So considering the rangers are bad threads and the rangers are OP threads, and the rangers aren't wanted in a squad and rangers don't need a squad bits, does that mean they are balanced? To me, it kind of does. Now to be fair I roam/havoc on all classes and most elites/cores, and that includes rangers. I have no problem attacking rangers when I roam since I know their playstyle. When I run as a ranger I hunt necro's and when I run on my necro I hunt rangers. It's how it works.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:So considering the rangers are bad threads and the rangers are OP threads, and the rangers aren't wanted in a squad and rangers don't need a squad bits, does that mean they are balanced? To me, it kind of does. Now to be fair I roam/havoc on all classes and most elites/cores, and that includes rangers. I have no problem attacking rangers when I roam since I know their playstyle. When I run as a ranger I hunt necro's and when I run on my necro I hunt rangers. It's how it works.

If balance was something compensatory, sure.

But, balance isn't compensatory.

However, Rangers are not doing either as well or as poorly as people suggest. Are they a class that needs looking at then? Yes. However, it's more a question of making certain aspects of them fitting better into the content of WvW. It's mainly a question of looking at some spec-specific abilities, like spirits, glyphs, stance sharing and celestial form mechanics. The traits and even the weapons are better balanced than people give them credit.

@"TheGrimm.5624" said:So considering the rangers are bad threads and the rangers are OP threads, and the rangers aren't wanted in a squad and rangers don't need a squad bits, does that mean they are balanced? To me, it kind of does. Now to be fair I roam/havoc on all classes and most elites/cores, and that includes rangers. I have no problem attacking rangers when I roam since I know their playstyle. When I run as a ranger I hunt necro's and when I run on my necro I hunt rangers. It's how it works.

No it just means people are terrible at the game and are prone to knee jerk reactions. Like that thread about 20 people losing to 5 rangers. Note that this is true regardless of the actual state of the ranger. Even if rangers are OP, they're not dying because rangers are OP. They're dying because they don't understand concepts like standing still and eating punches to the face is not a good idea. (I see this daily). We fought a really good weaver that killed a bunch of people on his own (including me). Was my first thought "wow, pls nerf weaver" or maybe "Maybe I should actually learn what they're doing, and maybe if it's that OP try it myself." Probably the former right?

Pew Pew Rangers are only broken when they +1 you (but what class isn't?) or you're a necro.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Playing Druid (funny ikr) 2 days ago, I got invited to a couple squads. Used to main it a long time ago (staff/lb) so I was quite surprised. ALso received soooo much salt from those who looked at me on their backs.

Let’s be real though: you are well known on your server.

And you have a solid understanding of how to play the class.

Stance-share Soulbeast would be an interesting party addition to a push comp if they had decent cleave weapons. Greatsword is slow, low targets, and low damage, unfortunately. There's potential in the group condi clear, group stab, and a unique buff in the form of 'One Wolf Pack'. That's why we lost druid too, because no matter how much the numbers are buffed they lost their unique buff 'Grace of the Land', so there's no reason to bring them over scrappers or tempest, who bring a certain uniqueness.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Playing Druid (funny ikr) 2 days ago, I got invited to a couple squads. Used to main it a long time ago (staff/lb) so I was quite surprised. ALso received soooo much salt from those who looked at me on their backs.

Actually I'm not well known at all. I understand how to play, however doesnt mean I apply said knowledge. When I mained Druid, I was on a diff server tbh.

Also havent picked it up in....probably a couple years too.

Cant use those excuses....what else ya got?

@TheGrimm.5624 said:So considering the rangers are bad threads and the rangers are OP threads, and the rangers aren't wanted in a squad and rangers don't need a squad bits, does that mean they are balanced? To me, it kind of does. Now to be fair I roam/havoc on all classes and most elites/cores, and that includes rangers. I have no problem attacking rangers when I roam since I know their playstyle. When I run as a ranger I hunt necro's and when I run on my necro I hunt rangers. It's how it works.

Balance is when a class/build lives and performs in the meta for its purpose but doesn't define it. Rangers and Thieves aren't designed to be large scale efficient (well maybe the Druid but that is a misfire like most HoT classes) so nobody should expect them to be. If those builds on those two classes over perform in small scale, that is a balance issue.

Boon Beast Ranger in small scale has a ridiculous range that hits hard on a near absurd cooldown with excellent escape, high durability and auto knockdowns. Addon that the build requires minimal skill to operate. The problem is that no class/build should hit hard (much less at range) without having to give up durability and straight forward counters. This is why condi-mirage is also OP and several DE variants are a problem as well. Dolyak Stance is basically a giant FU to counters because it stacks with protection and makes a Ranger immune to control condi. Warriors are about the only class that has similar defensive access but most of its damage is up close and they have to sacrifice damage to access that level of survival. If any other class had Dolyak Stance, they would run it because it is that good.

ITT: a lot of people clueless about rangers, wow. Rangers don't just use pewpew longbow.

stanceshare axe/axe + GS soulbeast is actually a perfectly fine zerg spec. I have hundreds of hours on one, as well as on scourge, rev, and glass weaver, and I'd rate my SB just as high as any of them. SB in fact brings good group utility as well: group stab, group soft CC immunity, group condi clear & heal, a unique group damage buff (OWP), AOE pull & immob, another 1200 range pull in addition to good AOE damage through axe #3, axe #4, axe #5, GS #2.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAceFlRw0YPsQmJOSX7PzBkA-zVZYBRHIGu8jgMGkeJQ0QoSFo+DIK9xE4aEwrF-w

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

Actually I'm not well known at all. I understand how to play, however doesnt mean I apply said knowledge. When I mained Druid, I was on a diff server tbh.

Also havent picked it up in....probably a couple years too.

Cant use those excuses....what else ya got?

I got nuthin..

?

• 2 weeks later...

Again, I've abandoned playing the Ranger, but it did teach me self reliance, since I could never join a party, squad, or zerg. Had to learn to do everything myself. That has served me well, since now I'm playing a Reaper and I'm killing it, including having my own solo guild (something I'd never have even attempted if I hadn't been ostracized while playing as a ranger.)

@Laurencius.9258 said:Again, I've abandoned playing the Ranger, but it did teach me self reliance, since I could never join a party, squad, or zerg. Had to learn to do everything myself. That has served me well, since now I'm playing a Reaper and I'm killing it, including having my own solo guild (something I'd never have even attempted if I hadn't been ostracized while playing as a ranger.)

It looks like you learnt very little from the help that was written to you in thread though, since you have been unable to form your own guild with friends who would enable you to play Ranger in a party and be effective as a group.

No and with good reason. Ranger is the worst class you can take into WvW. They have no reliable damage in Zergs, have no boon strip, can't apply anywhere near enough boons to be even remotely interesting and are worse than any other support overall. Even in roaming you are better off with with something like a mesmer or thief. Unless you like loosing and gifting enemy servers free points you don't pick ranger. Having allied rangers on a full wvw map is essentially a handicap to your server.

This is what I've been looking for though out this thread.Rangers are weakSo non of you have any realistic reason why the nerfs that have been done to ranger /soulbeast in the past year shouldn't be completely reversed. Saying that it would effect 1v1 isn't a valid excuse because any class can be built specifically to be very successful 1v1. Also 1v1 is not a dominant factor in WvW. This isn't PvPLong bow damage must also be reversed because it breaks an already weak core class.Since these nerfs became an additional impediment to an already weak class nobody can have any reason why they shouldn't be reversed to bring ranger and soulbeast to an exceptable level for WvW.