Old Player back - what do I play

Merlin.4058

@meridianx.9420 said:

@Nymi.4751 said:I starting playing GW2 when it came out in 2012. I played for years. Loved it and have several characters leveled 80. As it goes with most games for me I got bored and moved on. I've been playing FFXIV for the past year and now I'm interested in checking out the new expansion packs. What do you think? Are the expansions worth paying the money and coming back for?

Path of Fire now comes with Heart of Thorns for free. As such, all you would need if you want access to both expansions is 1 purchase of PoF to get started. Value wise it's a great deal.

As alternative you could just start playing since the game has no subscription and you can still access all vanilla content.

I'm a returning player too. Confused about expansions etc. I started playing on release, got a couple of characters in the 50s, and haven't played since a couple of months after release.Now I'm going to start from scratch with a Ranger just for fun to re-learn the game.What am I missing out on if I level to 80 without the expansions? Can I play to 80 then decide if I want to buy the expansions?Also another poster mentioned anniversary level up scrolls. Can these be transferred between characters?

Yes they are account bound.

@meridianx.9420 said:

@"Nymi.4751" said:I starting playing GW2 when it came out in 2012. I played for years. Loved it and have several characters leveled 80. As it goes with most games for me I got bored and moved on. I've been playing FFXIV for the past year and now I'm interested in checking out the new expansion packs. What do you think? Are the expansions worth paying the money and coming back for?

Path of Fire now comes with Heart of Thorns for free. As such, all you would need if you want access to both expansions is 1 purchase of PoF to get started. Value wise it's a great deal.

As alternative you could just start playing since the game has no subscription and you can still access all vanilla content.

I'm a returning player too. Confused about expansions etc. I started playing on release, got a couple of characters in the 50s, and haven't played since a couple of months after release.Now I'm going to start from scratch with a Ranger just for fun to re-learn the game.

Welcome back. Ranger is a safe choice to get back in. Also, if interested, check on woodenpotatoes videos on open world builds (here for ranger:

) to get a feel how different classes might perform and have a strong open world build to tackle getting back into the game.

What am I missing out on if I level to 80 without the expansions? Can I play to 80 then decide if I want to buy the expansions?

Heart of Thorns added gliding, which becomes available after the first HoT mission. Path of Fire added mounts with the first mount, the raptor, becoming available after the first PoF mission. Otherwise you aren't missing out on much leveling to 80.

Also another poster mentioned anniversary level up scrolls. Can these be transferred between characters?

Anniversary scrolls are account bound and can be used on any of your characters (say a level 60 scroll on a level 40 character will also push the character to 60). I would advise to not use them, except maybe a level 20 or 30 scroll, and level to 80 normally on the first character. See the scrolls rather as a way to get other characters to 80 after playing the game a bit.

I also am thinking of playing GW2 again. It's been at least 3 maybe 4 years since I played. Heart of Thorns had come out so not sure when that was. I heard Carol of the Bells on the radio the other day and it got me thinking about the Christmas (or Winterfest or whatever it's called) and the bell playing challenge. Do they still do that?

I've got several level 80 characters, at least 1 of each profession (3 mesmers cause they're my favorite). Not interested in starting a new one. What are the major changes to the mechanics in these past few years that I should read up on?

@"Lazuli.2098" said:I also am thinking of playing GW2 again. It's been at least 3 maybe 4 years since I played. Heart of Thorns had come out so not sure when that was. I heard Carol of the Bells on the radio the other day and it got me thinking about the Christmas (or Winterfest or whatever it's called) and the bell playing challenge. Do they still do that?

I've got several level 80 characters, at least 1 of each profession (3 mesmers cause they're my favorite). Not interested in starting a new one. What are the major changes to the mechanics in these past few years that I should read up on?

The mesmer elite spec for PoF is called "Mirage". The core mechanic is mirage cloak, which replaces the standard dodge roll. Instead of leaping out of the way, the mirage is able to simply blur while continuing to do whatever they were doing. This is followed by a 1s ambush attack window, which temporarily replaces the 1 skill with a special attack. The spec also unlocks axe, which is a condition-based weapon often paired with the torch offhand.

Mirage is extremely good at avoiding damage and has excellent mobility and damage. It makes a great duelist in PvP/WvW as well as being a strong choice for solo open world play and storyline content.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"Lazuli.2098" said:I also am thinking of playing GW2 again. ...I've got several level 80 characters, at least 1 of each profession (3 mesmers cause they're my favorite). ...

The mesmer elite spec for PoF is called "Mirage". The core mechanic is mirage cloak, which replaces the standard dodge roll. Instead of leaping out of the way, the mirage is able to simply blur while continuing to do whatever they were doing. This is followed by a 1s ambush attack window, which temporarily replaces the 1 skill with a special attack. The spec also unlocks axe, which is a condition-based weapon often paired with the torch offhand.

Mirage is extremely good at avoiding damage and has excellent mobility and damage. It makes a great duelist in PvP/WvW as well as being a strong choice for solo open world play and storyline content.

Oh, that sounds fantastic. Looks like I will be getting PoF. :)

@Lazuli.2098 said:

@Lazuli.2098 said:I also am thinking of playing GW2 again. ...I've got several level 80 characters, at least 1 of each profession (3 mesmers cause they're my favorite). ...

Oh, that sounds fantastic. Looks like I will be getting PoF. :)

Great! You said you have one of each class, so let me recommend another spec to try when you get PoF. Weaver. Specifically, try fire/arcane weaver using sword/x (dagger for open world, focus for PvP/WvW). It's one of the most complicated builds on account of having 26 weapon skills per set plus a unique method of rotating between them, but it's a blast to play and has a great balance of damage and survivability. Primordial stance + glyph of elemental power: fire convert you into fiery burning death for anything you manage to get close to! It's another must-try spec, in my opinion (but not the only one!).

• 4 weeks later...

K I read half of this and only one thing stuck out to me

You haven't fully gotten into gw2 esp are not updated on the content now so you should not be saying you don't want to do the end game grind or anything with that sentimentality or think being at lvl 80 won't be fun onwards or think it'll be a chore to have to play certain builds or that it'd be a grind.

As someone else said, leveling is just an intro. The bulk of the game now beyond lvl 80 is way beyond what you imagine or know about. It IS fun. Much more freedom to do anything and the newer content is amazing, complex, interesting, unique, you'll still continue to level with masteries and abilities and more stuff. You can play many varieties of builds with the elite specs in the expansions and so on if you aren't particularly hardcore on high level grinding content where you need teams or are competitive in PvP. Everything else is fair game and almost sandbox like.

Tons to explore, fly through literally, and learn and challenge yourself with. The game begins at lvl 80. The leveling journey is not what's going to be the most fun.

That said, you'll need to pick something you do find fun even for levelling sure. But don't have misconceptions about lvl 80 and beyond.