Asgeir Dragonrender [Whisper in the Dark spoilers]

NorthernRedStar.3054

'A Burden', Asgeir's personal journal entry, describes his encounter and "deal" with Jormag. The area is called Asgeir's Legacy, speculated to either the site where he A) originally battled Jormag, or B ) perished / vanished after returning a second time. Asgeir describes Jormag's voice as 'home', which may allude to further fascination with the elder dragon.

I suspect he may not be dead, and may actually be a future dragon champion boss. We've had this theme before, with Saul D'Alessio among others - legends thought perished.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:It's been stated a few times that Asgeir has died, so I don't expect them to suddenly retcon Asgeir into being an icebrood all along.

If Jormag can use Death Magic now, that wouldn't be a retcon.

Norn burn their dead (in Hoelbrak we only see cairns - there's no graveyard for norn in the Shiverpeaks in GW2; likely because the soil would be too frozen to dig up easily), so there wouldn't be a corpse for Jormag to turn into a Death-Touched Icebrood. If Asgeir is met as an icebrood, then he'd have to have been corrupted while alive.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:It's been stated a few times that Asgeir has died, so I don't expect them to suddenly retcon Asgeir into being an icebrood all along.

I think it's only been implied once in Bitterfrost Frontier that he was killed by Jormag, and even so, there were no other details. Plus, he 'died' to Jormag. Considering the stuff we know now, I do think it's possible that Asgeir did turn Icebrood (voluntarily) and either faked his death, or simply disappeared and everyone assumed he died.

There is a graveyard in Hoelbrak. if you talk to nerby NPC they will tell you norn burn their dead. They bury foreigners. So if Asgeir died he was most likely burnedhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shelter_Rock

If you use Raven essence to see into the past of the location, Asgeir legacy is where he literally tied the rope around Jormag's fallen tooth and started to drag it south. The scene kind of implies tooth was already taken out, and that he simply found it (though this could be due to animation style, not necessarily intended by Anet). Another possible implication is that this is the location where he fought Jormag

@"kasoki.5180" said:There is a graveyard in Hoelbrak. if you talk to nerby NPC they will tell you norn burn their dead. They bury foreigners. So if Asgeir died he was most likely burnedhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shelter_Rock

If you use Raven essence to see into the past of the location, Asgeir legacy is where he literally tied the rope around Jormag's fallen tooth and started to drag it south. The scene kind of implies tooth was already taken out, and that he simply found it (though this could be due to animation style, not necessarily intended by Anet). Another possible implication is that this is the location where he fought Jormag

Wait, you can see that? How do you get that to work :O. I've never seen that option pop up while in that area after the blizzard.

@"kasoki.5180" said:There is a graveyard in Hoelbrak. if you talk to nerby NPC they will tell you norn burn their dead. They bury foreigners. So if Asgeir died he was most likely burnedhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shelter_Rock

Yes. Like I mentioned. They have cairns, as I stated. And if you read the text, you'll see there are cairns for people who's bodies couldn't be recovered. That's more than a graveyard. That's a memorial.

It does seem that non-norn are buried (a sylvari and charr), but the "here lies" is only used on non-norn cairns. Even then, it could be that their ashes are placed there. It's not large enough for 150 years of Hoelbrak inhabitants dying and being buried.

And yes, the tooth was knocked out, then Jormag communicated with Asgeir, then left Asgeir to take the tooth. In that vision, you'll also see Asgeir sitting before a book (which is the start of the vision) - that book is A Burden which Asgeir writes. He didn't just find the tooth, he did knock it out. The implication is indeed that this is where he fought Jormag - hence the name, Asgeir's Legacy.

@Kalavier.1097 said:

@"kasoki.5180" said:There is a graveyard in Hoelbrak. if you talk to nerby NPC they will tell you norn burn their dead. They bury foreigners. So if Asgeir died he was most likely burned

Wait, you can see that? How do you get that to work :O. I've never seen that option pop up while in that area after the blizzard.

It's a very tiny spot nearby where A Burden is found, to the east of the Goliath.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"kasoki.5180" said:There is a graveyard in Hoelbrak. if you talk to nerby NPC they will tell you norn burn their dead. They bury foreigners. So if Asgeir died he was most likely burned

Yes. Like I mentioned. They have cairns, as I stated. And if you read
, you'll see there are cairns for people
who's bodies couldn't be recovered
. That's more than a graveyard. That's a memorial.

It does seem that non-norn are buried (a sylvari and charr), but the "here lies" is only used on non-norn cairns. Even then, it could be that their ashes are placed there. It's not large enough for 150 years of Hoelbrak inhabitants dying and being buried.

And yes, the tooth was knocked out, then Jormag communicated with Asgeir, then left Asgeir to take the tooth. In that vision, you'll also see Asgeir sitting before a book (which is the start of the vision) - that book is A Burden which Asgeir writes. He didn't just find the tooth, he did knock it out. The implication is indeed that this is where he fought Jormag - hence the name, Asgeir's Legacy.

It's a very tiny spot nearby where A Burden is found, to the east of the Goliath.

Neat. I looked it up on youtube and that's cool. I found the book and loved the implications.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say. NPC says that some foreigners prefer to be burried. Since its hard to dig in frozen rocks they bury them beneath stones/cairnes.

At this point our only source on the tooth actually being knocked out is Asgeir himself. Who at this point is unreliable narrator. Especially since the whole episode shows how subtle Jormag actually is. To be honest I do agree its more likely than not that this is how it went down but I find it hard to shake off the impression that there is more to Asgeir vs Jormag than we know. The way he wrote that book is more than "problematic" in my personal opinion and feels very "corrupt-like"

@kasoki.5180 said:

@kasoki.5180 said:There is a graveyard in Hoelbrak. if you talk to nerby NPC they will tell you norn burn their dead. They bury foreigners. So if Asgeir died he was most likely burned

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say. NPC says that some foreigners prefer to be burried. Since its hard to dig in frozen rocks they bury them beneath stones/cairnes.

Right, foreigners prefer to be buried, but norn do not. Their bodies are burned. So no corpse for Jormag to use of Asgeir.

And yes, the tooth was knocked out, then Jormag communicated with Asgeir, then left Asgeir to take the tooth. In that vision, you'll also see Asgeir sitting before a book (which is the start of the vision) - that book is A Burden which Asgeir writes. He didn't just find the tooth, he did knock it out. The implication is indeed that this is where he fought Jormag - hence the name, Asgeir's Legacy.At this point our only source on the tooth actually being knocked out is Asgeir himself. Who at this point is unreliable narrator. Especially since the whole episode shows how subtle Jormag actually is. To be honest I do agree its more likely than not that this is how it went down but I find it hard to shake off the impression that there is more to Asgeir vs Jormag than we know. The way he wrote that book is more than "problematic" in my personal opinion and feels very "corrupt-like"

I mean, we have Asgeir, yes, but we also have dev statements. But I don't see why either source would lie, especially in Asgeir's own personal diary. A personal diary - especially one left abandoned in a place where it is unlikely to survive - is not where people lie.

• 2 weeks later...

@Stephen.6312 said:

One man's retcon is another man's twist. What if the Fraenir is Aesgir?

Pretty bad twist since Fraenir is dead. And not 150 years old. And not old at all - no wrinkles, but the vision of Asgeir has him old like Knut is now.