About the big alliance update for www

@Nightcore.5621 said:1 and a half year later .. come on ..

A very common move for the games going ... not so well is to fusion the servers. That means from many servers only few remains. With name changed.ANet taught us that they don't use common methods ... openly.The megaservers system already allows them to shrink the number of the servers - from the PvE perspective all is set here. BUT, the WvW depends of the servers to work. This is the last hurdle for a server fusion maneuver.

So, I don't know when the Alliances will come, I have no idea if something good will happen but I'm pretty sure that the moment of the release of the Alliance system is the moment we will have less servers. Nobody will notice for PvE. And for WvW the server name will be not important - most probably it will be replaced with the Alliance name. Or a cluster of alliances name? No matter, everything can run on few servers. Or even on one server.

The problem is that the current system monetizes WvW. People are purchasing and converting gems to transfer servers. The proposed system would actually demonetize WvW, as there is no way for them to generate gem sales from guild slots determining WvW groupings.

This is really sad, as a proposed system that is arguably crucial for the longevity and competitive health of the game mode is probably never coming thanks to quarterly profit demands...

@Nightcore.5621 said:

@"Paradoxoglanis.1904" said:Coming soon!

Is not even that i have to wait 2 years for a update is more the lack of communication the Silence that they say Nothing about it the 2 years

You have to wait 2 years for an update that was communicated to you to still be in its infancy.You must really try hard to not "hear" all their communication about this, because it is right there.

@Nightcore.5621 said:

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:Coming soon!

Is not even that i have to wait 2 years for a update is more the lack of communication the Silence that they say Nothing about it the 2 years

Actually there was news on it, within the last 3 or 4 months...it was either during that Live broadcast or a Guild Chat...the back end systems were pretty much done from what I remember, now it was just a matter of integration and UI and polishing...but no timetable.

@Glider.5792 said:Seeing how raids and fractals are off the table, i have a hunch its the same for alliances.

Let's see, the official announcement from Mike Z was that Raids and Fractals would be released opposite of each other and not at the same time like they did with that one update. In other words they might release a new Raid with a certain Episode, and the next time they would release a Fractal update...that was the last word, nothing has ever been stated they they're off the table.

Actually there was news on it, within the last 3 or 4 months...it was either during that Live broadcast or a Guild Chat...the back end systems were pretty much done from what I remember, now it was just a matter of integration and UI and polishing...but no timetable.

@"Glider.5792" said:Seeing how raids and fractals are off the table, i have a hunch its the same for alliances.

Let's see, the official announcement from Mike Z was that Raids and Fractals would be released opposite of each other and not at the same time like they did with that one update. In other words they might release a new Raid with a certain Episode, and the next time they would release a Fractal update...that was the last word, nothing has ever been stated they they're off the table.

Apparently they did say something on a german site.https://www.buffed.de/Guild-Wars-2-Spiel-17072/Specials/Gefluester-im-Dunkeln-Preview-1337393/

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1101590#Comment_1101590

@"Glider.5792" said:Seeing how raids and fractals are off the table, i have a hunch its the same for alliances.

Apparently they did say something on a german site.

Translation:

Fractal? Raids? Legendarys? For the time being, nothing new in GW2

We also had to ask the developers while playing the new assault missions: What about the established content such as raids, fractals, and legendary weapons? The latter have two complete sets (except underwater weapons) since the introduction of Exordium. But the response turned out sobering: Nothing is off the table, but in the next episodes of the Eisbrut saga, we can not expect it. Even new hairstyles will not exist - a feature that many actually wanted. The reason for the lack of new hair? This feature has never been prioritized in the development of new content, and probably not in the near future.

They will probably come out with some form of content in the distant future maybe. There is a good chance that content will even exist some where in the game! It'll be a new living story where you're ported to the mysterious 'gem store isle' and you have buy a collection of 45 different skins, each locked behind a one week time gate. Once you complete the collection you get the first of 10 pieces for a new legendary greatsword! The best part is, you get to repeat it 9 more times! This is a wvw update btw because once you unlock the legendary you can go to WvW and unlock the availability to buy gem store skins for your new sword because the default skin is the same as the existing iron greatsword due to time constraints.

@Cristalyan.5728 said:A very common move for the games going ... not so well is to fusion the servers. [...]The megaservers system already allows them to shrink the number of the servers - [...] This is the last hurdle for a server fusion maneuver.[...] that the moment of the release of the Alliance system is the moment we will have less servers. [...] No matter, everything can run on few servers. Or even on one server.

The amount of hardware used to run GW2 have never been related to the number or worlds. ANet have had tech to dynamically regulate that since GW1 days.

With world linking the number of actual WvW teams is already fewer than the worlds - what the alliance system will (hopefully) accomplish is a better balance of numbers between these teams; and yes, make it easier to regulate the number of teams too.

For a type of game as dependent on seeing other players as MMOs, the megaserver system is really leagues better than the partitioned off server structure.