Elder Dragons and Afterlife

Dark Red Killian.3946

Their spirit is doomed to fly over Hoelbrak once a year passed off as a "hologram".

In all seriousness though it is a prob something they are deliberately avoiding to prevent over complication of the plot. In theory, would Joko and Vlast also be somewhere in the afterlife? Perhaps their souls are obliterated like when a God is destroyed and their magic bursts out. Or perhaps they revert to a different, older form which we wouldn't recognise when their magic/power is gone (not much precedent for that mind you ).

It's still unanswered at this point. One would think they do show up in the afterlife, but void of all but their own personal magic and in a form representing their original body - which we've never seen.

It is also possible that Elder Dragons' souls function akin to the Six Gods, in which it appears their soul and magic merge into one singular "thing"; destruction of the body resulting in an explosion of magic and soul, spreading it across the world. However, I doubt this is the case because when the Six Gods die, their body breaks apart until there is nothing left and their magic leaves in a very violent clash. Neither of these happen with the Elder Dragons - there's a flash of light being the most expressive show of magic escaping, and their bodies remain without alteration.

@"Randulf.7614" I would expect Vlast's soul is indeed in the Mists. With Joko, it depends on if Aurene consumed his soul as well as the magic that bound it. Hopefully she didn't, since that's bonafide "villain territory", and someday we may get more Joko antics in Hallloween.... maybe, hopefully, one day.

Sometime ago i posted my doubts about Balthazar, if he was already a "spirit" when we killed him(otherwise it would result in a kinda weird loop: we "kill" Balt, then his "spirit" go to mists and he can did all the crybaby again?),, the @"Konig Des Todes.2086" aswered but i cant remenber the aswer, and i cant find the post using search, i guess its is on old forums.

based on what I vaguely remember the conclusion is that the gods are not made of flesh, similarly the dragons are not either, which justifies having to find their weak point, since brute force only defeats the flesh aka "living beings".

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:based on what I vaguely remember the conclusion is that the gods are not made of flesh, similarly the dragons are not either, which justifies having to find their weak point, since brute force only defeats the flesh aka "living beings".

I wouldn't say that. Mordremoth was very clearly made of flesh and bled. Kralkatorrik also bled, despite having a far more elemental appearance. They also have heartsbeat.

During Heart of the Volcano, using Taimi's scanner on Balthazar told us "no life detected, only magical energy" (similarly Koss on Koss book says Kormir died to ascend); however, using the scanner on Primordus had no such reading.

While the Elder Dragons aren't fully biological, evidence does suggest that they are "living beings of flesh and blood".

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:@"Randulf.7614" I would expect Vlast's soul is indeed in the Mists. With Joko, it depends on if Aurene consumed his soul as well as the magic that bound it. Hopefully she didn't, since that's bonafide "villain territory", and someday we may get more Joko antics in Hallloween.... maybe, hopefully, one day.If Aurene holds Joko's soul, that would be a more apt reason why she can channel his undying magics. Rather than, oh she absorbed his special magic, she ate his knowledge and his whole being.

If we assume Aurene went through ascension in a process like Kormir, then Kralk, Aurene, and possibly Joko (or perhaps Aurene released Joko with ascension negating the need to be undead), can presumed to be 'merged' or contained into Aurene's new form.

Remember, its stated that even beings who do end up in the mists often lose all that they are in the process.

This is only circumvented a handful of times, for example how Glint protected Eir and Snaff, and seems to be reserved for beings who were either really powerful or who had friends in high places in life, such as all the followers Balthazar preserved. The majority of "souls" in the Mists, if you want to call them that, are nothingness, just energy, and since the Mists are also as vast as the multiverse itself, it also means they could be anywhere throughout time and space, not neccessarily adjascent to our Tyria, which again seems to only happen under special circumstances.

And that doesn't even take into account what happens if someone dies in the Mists already, for example in the Mist War, which is canonically an endless, multiversial battle between our Tyria and other versions of Tyria adjascent to our own in the Mists,

On top of this, it's also been established that souls are magical in nature, and can be destroyed or consumed permanently, and we've even seen no less than three different types of ghost eaters in the game (Ascalon Catacombs, Joko's Ghost Eaters, the Eater of Souls), and in the case of the Human Gods, the separation of their "flesh" from their "soul" is impossible resulting in them being destroyed entirely if their magic is released.

EDIT: Kralkatorrik was also technically a ghost eater.

It all seems to be related to how life, death and the Mists itself are just all forms of magic, or energy, filling spacetime.

The short of it is, who you are, where you're from, and who you knew determines your placement in the afterlife, and what you become can range from anywhere from unbound energy to even your original form, and that existence can still be revoked before or after dying. How this affects the dragons, we don't know, but remember that they seem to be heavily corrupted in their metaphysical forms, and a purity of essence seems to play some part in all of this, Glint especially is regarded as having been purified by the Forgotten.

I think if the dragons are in the Mists, they won't even begin to resemble what we know them as.

@Stephen.6312 said:

@"Hannelore.8153" said:I think if the dragons are in the Mists, they won't even begin to resemble what we know them as.

Now
there's
a thought. What form do you believe they might take, if not that of a dragon?

Glint still takes the form of a dragon, but her appearance is pretty much half of her original form. Her brief ghostly appearance during A Star to Guide Us was the same as the Roaring Dragon Glider, which is very similar to the Herald Elite skill Chaotic Release (more specifically, Rytlock's variant in the HoT cinematic he makes his confusing and psuedo-Dues Ex Machina return in).

While her head and wings remains the same, her four legs are missing and her tail is in broken pieces. Wouldn't surprise me if Mordremoth, Zhaitan, and Kralkatorrik (assuming Aurene didn't consume his soul) are similar. I wouldn't be surprised if, should ArenaNet ever want to show us Mordremoth's soul, they'd just use the shadowy face but recolored to a more transparent white-blue like most ghosts.