The Mad Queen's Travel Log (spoilers for Whisper in the Dark)

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Day 1 of the Queen's expedition into the Far Shiverpeaks.

yEDhlkU.jpg

Greetings my fellow necromancers, The Queen hopes this journal reaches you well. As requested by my closest colleagues, I am looking into the matter regarding Jora's Keep. The Bjora Marches are a lot colder than I remember. I've had to change my attire to suit the deathly frost up here in the mountains. I've also had some issues adapting my raptor to the cold. The bitter cold seems to creep in, even through the thickest of dolyak blankets. The Ice Dragon's influence is strongly felt here; in body and in mind. The Vigil Relief Crew arrived today, to take care of the bodies that we found at the keep. But some of the crew are looking a bit twitchy. The cold wind carries with it sinister whispers, that affect the sane and weak of mind. I can hear them too in the back of my head, but they are but a faint echo in a noisy chamber. Still, I worry for their sanity. I have a clear recollection regarding what happened to Jora's brother all those years ago. The whispers from beneath the ice... I have seen first hand what a man can become under the Ice Dragon's influence.

You'll be delighted to know that our close colleague Marjory has arrived as well. To be honest, I believe she is enjoying this investigation a little bit too much. One shudders to think what these voices on the wind could do to the mind of a skilled necromancer. Perhaps she does not realize the severity of the danger we are all in. I almost wish she had brought her mesmer friend with her. It would have been a delight watching her be reduced to a block of ice in that get up she was wearing at the celebration.

Braham is eager to investigate further, but I am cautious after the incident at the celebration. He is unreliable, careless and easy prey for the Ice Dragon; whose name I will not put to parchment. Miya told me to go easy on him, but what do little monk girls know about leadership?

I have started charting the area north west of the keep, but my raptor is a constant bother. I think it may be suffering from candycorn withdrawl, as well as the cold. Why can't it just eat little orphans like a normal raptor? I regret to say that perhaps Rhonwyn was right; I am no good with animals. Speaking of which, I noticed a strong presence of Sons of Svanir up in the mountains. But these are different from the ones that attacked us at Lornar's Pass. These dragon cultists show similar signs of corruption as what happened to Jora's brother all those years ago. Perhaps the dragon's influence has taken hold here, and it is giving them power. Tomorrow I will head further north, but I hear strange tales regarding the woods to the north west. Also, none of our scouts have returned. These are times when I wish I still had Frozenwind at my side. He would know these mountains far better than myself. But I fear the King of the Snowmen may have returned to his winter slumber, so I will make do with the Vigil Crew at my disposal.

I shall keep you all up to date on my progress. Lastly, I really need a name for my raptor. Something that inspires terror in my enemies... and chuckles in my depraved colleagues. I have half a mind to call him 'Ripper', because 'Rippy' makes for a nice nickname. I have also considered 'Rot-tooth', which would be a name befitting a necromancer's mis-trusty mount. I look forward to your suggestions. Safe travels, darlings.

-Mad Queen Malafide

@Stephen.6312 said:I thought you were dead, or in a padded cell. How is it possible that you're back and allowed to roam unsupervised?

I can assure you that the rumours about my death were grossly overstated. The Queen does not die easily, or at all. But I can tell by your response that the raven I sent arrived at its destination. I was not sure if that would be the case. So I thank you for your swift response. As for the padded cell, I am unsure if I am still the most deranged person on Tyria. I've seen the Vigil men rambling to themselves when they thought no one was watching. It seems madness runs rampant up here in the mountains. Foul voices on the wind and from within the ice. As for unsupervised, I wish. I think even my closest colleagues mistrust me. Marjory has been keeping a keen eye on my exploits and often requests reports. It would seem my reputation extends even to fellow practioners of the necromantic arts. One would think that our shared profession would be a basis for some trust.

At least the people of Lion's Arch can rest easily, knowing their favorite Queen is so far away. Also, Sir Randulf's compliments on my raptor are well noted. I still need a good name though... I'm open to suggestions.

-Mad Queen malafide

Day 2 of the Queen's expedition into the Far Shiverpeaks.

9PNXVji.jpg

A sudden blizzard interrupted the Queen's expedition late last evening, making the journey back to Jora's Keep impossible. In a matter of minutes visibility became close to zero and I was forced to build a makeshift shelter against a mountain side. I waited out the storm for several hours, which vanished as swiftly as it had arrived. In the morning I discovered that I had camped right next to the edge of a cliff. I considered myself lucky for narrowly escaping a short drop and a sudden stop. Grenth must be watching over me, even out here in these barren cursed lands. I could see armies of Sons of Svanir marching in the distance, towards an unknown destination. Words cannot express how much I despise dragon cultists. I hope some avalanch reduces them to piles of frozen meat and bone, up there in those mountains. At least they are moving away from where I'm heading.

After a quick meal I went in search for Braham, who had apparently survived the blizzard in the same manner that I had. I suppose that should come as no surprise from a Norn, they've probably faced worse. Still there was something very unnatural about that blizzard. I have seen Braham muttering to himself more frequently now. He does not speak of it when asked, but whatever voice is carried by the wind, it is clearly affecting him.

We continued the search for Jhavi and Almorra, who have gone missing after some sort of attack on Jora's Keep. The Vigil Crew are still busy burying all the bodies. Marjory believes that if they are still alive, that I of all people should be able to find them. Maybe I've been hanging around Miya for too long, but I didn't have the heart to tell Braham how slim I feel the chances are of finding them alive. If this search proves fruitless, it will at least have been a good excuse to explore further north. I do not know much about Jhavi or Almorra, apart from Jhavi being a fellow necromancer. I've never worked with her, but apparently Marjory has some history with her.

Up north we discovered a multitude of marks in the snow. Braham believes there are signs of a struggle. With no blood marks or any bodies, they may very well be alive. Our journey takes us to the edge of the Aberrant Forest. The air is thick here and it feels like we are constantly being watched. This forest is old and its magic even older. I sense there's great evil here, perhaps as old as the forest itself. It makes my skin crawl... we are unwelcome guests here, and perhaps coming here was a mistake. Frozenwind, where are you?

-Mad Queen Malafide

I have heard rumours of this creature that the locals call a Boneskinner, but I figured it was just a tall tale. But after spending any length of time in this haunted forest I feel that I don't need any more convincing. I will proceed with caution and in silence. I trust the librarians at the Priory and Lion's Arch will file my reports in the proper category, as I suspect they may have already done.

Day 3 of the Queen's expedition into the Far Shiverpeaks

We found Jhavi, alive and well. She was being helt captive by a group of traitorous Norn. We made short work of them, but unfortunately, no sign of Almorra. Jhavi was able to paint a much clearer and sinister picture of the situation out here. It seems the Norn were betrayed by their own men, who must have heard the same ghostly whispers that we've all been hearing, and let the Sons of Svanir into the keep. They have had a powerful hold over this region for quite some time now. The Sons of Svanir are being lead by their fraenir, who resides in a place called the 'Raven Sanctum'. Unfortunately the sanctum is sealed by ancient magic and hidden away somewhere on the edge of this haunted forest. Both Braham and Jhavi believed that Raven wanted us to find Jhavi and that he lead us here. The Queen was not so sure. I did not trust Braham's mental state, and would rather not have him in this ghastly place any longer. I've asked him to search the nearby camps, while I push on through the forest. A necromancer such as myself would be much better skilled at dealing with whatever darkness lurks in this forest, or so I hoped.

After sending Braham and Jhavi on their way, the Queen once again found herself alone in the Aberrant Forest... and yet feeling anything but. I could feel the darkness staring back at me with envious eyes. Like daggers stinging in your back, waiting to be pushed into a clean wound. Then there was a drop of silence, as a powerful hush fell across the entire forest. It was as if the forest itself helt its breath in anticipation. Not a crackle of a branch or a rustle of a falling leaf. I took cover behind the nearest tree, unsure what I was hiding from and from what direction. But then... a relief, as the friendly cackle of a jolly voice broke the silence.

KQKcLsU.jpg

It was Daniel Frozenwind, King of the Snowmen... and he was not alone. By his side was a strange wicker looking fellow with a familiar face. He introduced himself as Sovereign; a man I had not seen in hundreds of years. He had not aged a day, but didn't respond when the Queen inquired about it. The snowman didn't reveal how he knew about my whereabouts either, reciting his infamous catchphrase about snowmen and secrets. There was however not much time for pleasantries, for the forest had started to respond to its unwelcome guests. It was now awake.

The snowman king darted from tree to tree, keeping us out of sight of threats unseen. We trekked on for hours, with the roots and branches trying to slow our progress as if directed by a single mind. For a while I thought we were going in circles, until we stumbled upon a delapidated dwarven ruin. The snowman was captivated by the ancient structure, for he had always helt a keen interest in dwarven history. I on the other hand was captivated by something very different; a voice.

As we circled around a crumbled stone wall, we saw a tall man there. A Norn. His back was facing us, his head facing a wall. He was talking to himself, or perhaps to the bricks in front of him. His clothes were covered in ice and his skin showed signs of prolonged exposure to the bitter cold. Until he moved, I wasn't even sure if he was alive. I was about to address the Norn, when the wickerman stopped me. An explanation was not forth coming, as all I got from Sovereign was a silent hand on my shoulder and a shaking head. There was little opportunity for further discussion, but it was clear to me now what the Ice Dragon was capable of. I wondered if the same could happen to Braham and dreaded the answer. We pushed further through the Aberrant Forest as the forest grew darker with every step.

Ah, but dear Kalavier I believe you are mistaken. The Queen has heard of this 'commander' you speak of, but heroic deeds were never the Queen's thing. I don't play well with others. I take only the jobs that I take a personal interest in. While I have on occasion lead Tyrians into battle, I tend to leave large scale warfare to those who seek to shorten their own lifespan and want statues made of themselves. The only reason I'm here is because Marjory is a colleague, and the Ice Dragon interests me personally. It was only a few years ago that the Queen and Frozenwind took the fight to the Ice Dragon during our Winter Blunderland event. Unfortunately it now seems this only served to make the Ice Dragon more brazen. It has pushed further south and seems to be of a whole different nature than the other Elder Dragons that were fought by the Pact. I sense that traditional firepower will not be enough to deal with this threat. But as of writing this today, I still have no solution. But me and my colleagues will share whatever we can dig up with the Pact and this 'commander', don't you worry.

f5h8n9Q.jpg

Regarding your mention of royalty, there is surprisingly little I can tell you about King Frozenwind. He is not normal royalty as most Tyrians would assume. He is the King of the Snowmen, or so his title says. According to my research, he is some sort of festive spirit who has a tendency to appear around All Hallow's Eve and Winters Day. I know he serves Grenth in the Underworld and protects the Hall of Judgement, but I believe he also serves Dwayna. Until a few years ago his physical body was corrupted by Dhuum. It took the effort of many Tyrians to restore him to his former self, by building him a new body. It is well worth reading up on. The priory may have more information.

As for myself, there is preciously little I can share. The Queen is known for her modesty, as well as being the greatest necromancer that ever lived. And I am of course also known for my beautiful and NATURAL hair. Ah, but it would seem I'm out of parchment and my companions are gesturing me to carry on with frowny faces. I will have a raven carry this message to Jora's Keep and I hope it arrives timely... or at all. Just as an aside, I don't really understand the Norn's obsession with beasts of the wild. To me a raven is just a raven. But whenever Braham makes mention of it I tend to just roll my eyes. Someone should educate them on Grenth's ways.

I shall try and provide a less rambling update once we're out of this cursed forest.

-Mad Queen Malafide