So Jormag and Almorra [spoilers]

nathanjameson.3542

I suspect that Almorra Killed the Svanirs with the coms but died of her wounds. Then Jormag called the Commander, probably to lure him/her in and try to corrupt him. But when it didn't work, they changed tactic and actually talked to us. in the creepiest and yet best GW2 cinematic so far.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:In the Guild Chat, devs confirmed that Jormag called the Commander via possessing Almorra's corpse.

Ah. interesting. I haven't always watched the guild chats but that's a neat detail. It also adds another level of creepy, as Almorra was not icebrood, or partially corrupted like higher level Svanir. And yet Jormag was able to possess her body.

@Kalavier.1097 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:In the Guild Chat, devs confirmed that Jormag called the Commander via possessing Almorra's corpse.

Ah. interesting. I haven't always watched the guild chats but that's a neat detail. It also adds another level of creepy, as Almorra was not icebrood, or partially corrupted like higher level Svanir. And yet Jormag was able to possess her body.

My guess is it’s because Jormag acquired Death Magic after Zhaitan died and this is the way that Jormag uses this spectrum, maybe not creating Deathbrood, but using the dead to communicate. Kinda like how Kralkatorrik used Mind spectrum in a different capacity than Mordremoth.

i still not understand the "jormag strategy",,

a) why commmander need be lured? hes already not going there because of Bangar?b) if commander not intended goes after Bangar, why Jormag want bring to there someone who could stop Bangar?

hipotesis c) Jormag had fear of Bangar and wants Commander to defend itself by causing a "proxy war", but still make no sense, if this is the case its just a matter of let commander do his job that is stop anyone who wants mess up the magic balance of Elder Dragons.

d) the real fear of Jormag is Aurene? all this mess is just to setup a lure to bring Aurene into the party?

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:d) the real fear of Jormag is Aurene? all this mess is just to setup a lure to bring Aurene into the party?This is probably what Jormag is doing. Jormag is luring us to it, and Aurene will likely sense something is wrong and come flying at mach speeds. Jormag knows better than anybody (by being in our heads) that we don't control Aurene. We're just being used as bait to pull Aurene in for a chat, and possibly also as a "bargaining chip". Jormag puts us under its spell, agrees to let us go, if, and ONLY if, Aurene does what it wants.

@RyuDragnier.9476 said:

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:d) the real fear of Jormag is Aurene? all this mess is just to setup a lure to bring Aurene into the party?This is probably what Jormag is doing. Jormag is luring us to it, and Aurene will likely sense something is wrong and come flying at mach speeds. Jormag knows better than anybody (by being in our heads) that we don't control Aurene. We're just being used as bait to pull Aurene in for a chat, and possibly also as a "bargaining chip". Jormag puts us under its spell, agrees to let us go, if, and ONLY if, Aurene does what it wants.

I think you're on point with that! During the Guild Chat session, it's been indicated that there's a 'hidden message' in the Fraenier-Jormag speech. While Jormag's voice says "I want to help her", the Fraenier's voice goes "I want her." Pretty dang cool

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:i still not understand the "jormag strategy",,

a) I think the point to lure the Commander was because he's going after Bangar. If Jormag wants Bangar, then they want the Commander to not focus on Bangar. So instead Jormag gives them a new target: the Fraenir. Guild Chat also mentions that the purpose of the whispers in the open world, and what it's doing to the Vigil, is to keep the Vigil, Commander, and Dragon's Watch "in their corner, doing their thing over there". So the entire ploy - at first - seems to be a case of "keep the Commander and Pact occupied with throwaway minions while Jormag plots their real move", but of course, the Dragon killer cannot be held by a mere Fraenir, so Jormag improvises with talking directly.

b) The Commander obviously does intend to go after Bangar, and was waiting for a means to reach there - the blizzard has been going since the end of Bound by Blood, caused by the Fraenir as a distraction. First to stall the Commander by preventing them from moving into the Far Shiverpeaks, and then to stall the Commander by keeping them around Jora's Keep.

c) Possible. We know Jormag's been using the Fraenir to stall the Commander. But we don't quite know why. Given the message in the season trailer, however, it seems that Jormag wants Bangar.

d) I don't think Jormag fears Aurene. Remember what Kralkatorrik said? Elder Dragons fear nothing, not even death. If this holds true, then Jormag doesn't fear Aurene or the "threat on the horizon" (if there is one). Guild Chat also mentioned there's a hidden message in Jormag's speech and

. If so, then it's less that Jormag fears Aurene... but wants to make Aurene theirs.

Which I think is Jormag's ultimate plan. Corrupting Aurene, a brand new Elder Dragon, who's powerful, just as much so as Jormag, but by being new and inexperienced, is perceived as vulnerable. To get Aurene, they need her champion - the Commander. But to get the Commander, Jormag needs more strength, thus they call for an army - a charr army.

Jormag uses Bangar to get the Commander, and uses the Commander to get Aurene. But to prepare the way for capturing Aurene - and the Commander - they need time. Bangar was found out too quickly, so they had Fraenir summon the blizzard; Bangar got a lead, so they called the Commander in, to ensure the Commander took the bait, but they don't want the whole Vigil and Dragon's Watch, so they stall with the whispers and assaults on Jora's Keep. Ultimately, the Fraenir being just a stalling tactic, a sacrificial pawn, for the sake of keeping the Commander at the pace Jormag wants the Commander to come in at.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:i still not understand the "jormag strategy",,

a) I think the point to lure the Commander was
because
he's going after Bangar. If Jormag wants Bangar, then they want the Commander to not focus on Bangar. So instead Jormag gives them a new target: the Fraenir. Guild Chat also mentions that the purpose of the whispers in the open world, and what it's doing to the Vigil, is to keep the Vigil, Commander, and Dragon's Watch "in their corner, doing their thing over there". So the entire ploy - at first - seems to be a case of "keep the Commander and Pact occupied with throwaway minions while Jormag plots their real move", but of course, the Dragon killer cannot be held by a mere Fraenir, so Jormag improvises with talking directly.

b) The Commander obviously does intend to go after Bangar, and was waiting for a means to reach there - the blizzard has been going since the end of Bound by Blood, caused by the Fraenir as a distraction. First to stall the Commander by preventing them from moving into the Far Shiverpeaks, and then to stall the Commander by keeping them around Jora's Keep.

c) Possible. We know Jormag's been using the Fraenir to stall the Commander. But we don't quite know why. Given the message in the season trailer, however, it seems that Jormag wants Bangar.

d) I don't think Jormag fears Aurene. Remember what Kralkatorrik said? Elder Dragons fear nothing, not even death. If this holds true, then Jormag doesn't fear Aurene or the "threat on the horizon" (if there is one). Guild Chat also mentioned there's a hidden message in Jormag's speech and
. If so, then it's less that Jormag fears Aurene... but wants to make Aurene theirs.

Which I think is Jormag's ultimate plan. Corrupting Aurene, a brand new Elder Dragon, who's powerful, just as much so as Jormag, but by being new and inexperienced, is perceived as vulnerable. To get Aurene, they need her champion - the Commander. But to get the Commander, Jormag needs more strength, thus they call for an army - a charr army.

Jormag uses Bangar to get the Commander, and uses the Commander to get Aurene. But to prepare the way for capturing Aurene - and the Commander - they need time. Bangar was found out too quickly, so they had Fraenir summon the blizzard; Bangar got a lead, so they called the Commander in, to ensure the Commander took the bait, but they don't want the whole Vigil and Dragon's Watch, so they stall with the whispers and assaults on Jora's Keep. Ultimately, the Fraenir being just a stalling tactic, a sacrificial pawn, for the sake of keeping the Commander at the pace Jormag wants the Commander to come in at.

I largely agree with this, in particular due to the slight dissonance between the Svanir taking Jhavi and Almorra's comms "so that they don't call the Dragon Killer" and then... Jormag calling the Dragon Killer.

Jormag wants us involved, but is delaying us, assembling pieces of the puzzle a few days ahead of us, dealing with important foes (Almorra) one at a time, in isolation, preventing us from meeting and coordinating the full strength of the Pact, and allowing us to progress only when Jormag wants us to.

The writers have said that what happened off screen in this episode is going to end up being important, which I think makes it clear that Jormag's plans for us and for Bangar are actively coming to fruition, but we're still two steps behind.

The other possibility I can think of is that Jormag is stalling us improvisationally, because Almorra may have thrown a wrench into the plan somehow. We don't actually know what happened between her writing that note and her death. If Bangar and Almorra were in the same place at the same time, who knows what could have happened.