Rev pve/open world builds? Returning player. — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions Revenant

Rev pve/open world builds? Returning player.

After a return from a longer absence I see a lot of changes to many of the professions since my leave.
Last month it was something like condi renegade being the more popular, now it's power bombardment (claiming hammer as the main weapon) well acording to metabattle.

But from my understanding hammer is kinda meh atm?
Currently I'm running a zerker power/bombard because I know no better, I tried a power herald but find it lacking the least.

And all this combined with the recent QoL post I get a mixed image of what's currently in play.
Could anyone help shed some light on current builds as I've seem to forgot many of the details of this game.
Thanks in advance

Comments

  • Shao.7236Shao.7236 Member ✭✭✭✭

    If you're willing to play to next level the meta hasn't explored yet, I can show you some builds down the line, depends what you want to achieve but there's plenty to go by.

    Willing to help with anything Revenant related.

  • Virdo.1540Virdo.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2019

    I can only provide u with herald-builds ^^ i dont really like playing with renegade myself :p

    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAwyZlpQHMLyhdRNMM6hJSfsCKgJ/lf7E-zRIYR0xXGtFCVUB2eRCjeA-e
    I would recommend this build. It provides you with an incredible amount of Damage and self-heal ,while offering other Allies an big chunk of support through boons, Facet of Nature(only dwarf) and Assassince Presence.

    Jalis- always having the Hammers active and clicking F2-through because it gives Stability and its damage reduction keeps on for 6seconds(draconic echo)
    and at the end of glint always using up the boon-Facets (Skill 7; 8 ; 9; 0 | keep heal-facet in case of emergency) ,because they will keep on buffing even when on jalis.

    There are always other builds , more tanky ones, where you can kill all champions, even T4 Fractal bosses on your own.... but since time is an valuable ressource, i recommend big damage for short fights ^^

  • Ahh right, I actually thought the meta was set tbf.
    As for now I really wanted to run renegade/dwarf renegade/demon. But demon lacks survive in my eyes? ( I might of my sense here though)
    -Im really liking the dwarf/renegade however. zerker stuff and hammers heals for a ton.

    I guess I have to work a bit more with the herald - Are we talking power or condi here?
    I'd hate to buy more gear I'm trying to save up for this stupid griffon =D

    Getting gold still seems hard haha.

    Well I'd still like to see some more thoughts though, but it seem slike I'm not too far off =D

  • narcx.3570narcx.3570 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Grimp.5624 said:
    Ahh right, I actually thought the meta was set tbf.
    Are we talking power or condi here?

    There's not really an "open world meta," things are so low stakes and low difficulty that any build should be obliterating through it, unless you're playing like a pure defensive set-up--BUT EVEN THEN--if that's what you enjoy playing, then it's meta for you because the entire goal of open world content is just to have fun I guess, so what's most-effective-at achieving that goal varies from person to person.

    If you just want a fine-tuned Rev build to crush open world though, straight Zerker/Scholar Power Herald (sword/sword/staff/hammer to swap for bosses/bounties with Phase Shifted) is the way to go. You can make an argument for Power Renegade or Power Core, but they all generally underperform Herald in a solo play (bring your own boons) environment--especially in the new zone where you can generate your own Quickness with the new mastery.

    Generally as a Revenant, unless you're really married to the idea of playing one, you want to avoid condi builds in open world... Not to say that they're bad, but condi Rev builds have a really long dps ramp up time and poor burst vs non-huge hitbox, so things will die before you've even peaked your dps--and that is further compounded by the more people that are around.

  • Yeah, well I've never actually done a raid/fractal lol, I'm getting old and the youngster scares me :P
    I guess I should find a 35+ guild to chill out with and get into the game again

  • Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2019

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @Grimp.5624 said:
    Ahh right, I actually thought the meta was set tbf.
    Are we talking power or condi here?

    There's not really an "open world meta," things are so low stakes and low difficulty that any build should be obliterating through it, unless you're playing like a pure defensive set-up--BUT EVEN THEN--if that's what you enjoy playing, then it's meta for you because the entire goal of open world content is just to have fun I guess, so what's most-effective-at achieving that goal varies from person to person.

    If you just want a fine-tuned Rev build to crush open world though, straight Zerker/Scholar Power Herald (sword/sword/staff/hammer to swap for bosses/bounties with Phase Shifted) is the way to go. You can make an argument for Power Renegade or Power Core, but they all generally underperform Herald in a solo play (bring your own boons) environment--especially in the new zone where you can generate your own Quickness with the new mastery.

    Generally as a Revenant, unless you're really married to the idea of playing one, you want to avoid condi builds in open world... Not to say that they're bad, but condi Rev builds have a really long dps ramp up time and poor burst vs non-huge hitbox, so things will die before you've even peaked your dps--and that is further compounded by the more people that are around.

    Not accurate.
    I kill as fast or sometimes with less effort on my condi rev than my zerker rev.

    The condi burst happens faster than most think, I also use this build to kill players on wvw when they go lame, I go condi lame as well.

    Weaver/tempests/FB just melt, won a 1 vs 5 on marshal stats due healing sustain and applying mass torment and burns due movement nature of pvp combats was constantly ticking 2k 4K at max.

    Renegade/Deamon (While using both legend elites u will gain heal per sec (steadfast rejuvenation) plus torment runes will heal u and renegade elite is a vampiric aoe, while can still use other heals :P while aplying mass torment, heals skill from legends will give dome every 20sec) .
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAUlflhQLsIajJRaMIKjBSjMBygDzi/zE-zRJYvRNfJ49A-e

  • Buran.3796Buran.3796 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Grimp.5624 said:
    Ahh right, I actually thought the meta was set tbf.
    As for now I really wanted to run renegade/dwarf renegade/demon. But demon lacks survive in my eyes? ( I might of my sense here though)

    The hardest "team PvE" content in the game are raids and fractals, and the "meta" for that content with Revenant are the condition Renegade (uses mostly viper ststs) and the alacrigade (another Renegade build, which uses diviner stats), you can find detailed guides in the Snow Crows page:

    https://snowcrows.com/raids/builds/revenant/renegade/alacrity/

    ...But those are builds optimized to fast farm team content, doesn't mean that you can't do the task with other builds and stats (in fact, the three main roles in the game are doing dps (physical or condition), being a healer or a support, and I would say that 70-80% of the time most of builds for PvE do use berserker stats, being the use of viper between the 10-15% and being diviner (support) and harrier (healer) the remaining stats that are currently "meta".

    Meanwhile, you can find people trying to do PvE content even harder "soloing" dungeons, fractals and bosses/champions; those builds oftenly have a mix between damage and sustain, which choices in stats, traits and skills designed to enhance the personal ability of their player and their choice of play instead of following others with a copy & paste from metabattle. Lord Hizen trashed alone most of the fractal bosses and an impressive amount of champions from open world events using a condition Herald (Mallyx + Glint) with a full trailblazer set, torment runes and mace+axe/mace+shiled (yes, two maces!). He states that is the strongest solo build in the game and that with his mesmer was only able to do half of those feats (the build is in the description):

    I find it cool because a) the build is not meta and probably won't be wellcomed in public games yet the potential to trample PvE content with is uncontested and b) even having the gear is darn difficult to even try to do the same, which speaks volumes about the personal skill of Hizen (is a shame that no longer plays the game).

  • Catchyfx.5768Catchyfx.5768 Member ✭✭✭

    I played today condi herald mix of viper and trailblazer with torment rune set.
    Coruption(mid-top-bottom)
    Retribution(top-x-bottom)
    Herald(mid-top-bottom)

    I was soloing dungeons, fractals, desert bounties. Total ez

    Jokaurene

  • narcx.3570narcx.3570 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2019

    @Aeolus.3615 said:

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @Grimp.5624 said:
    Ahh right, I actually thought the meta was set tbf.
    Are we talking power or condi here?

    There's not really an "open world meta," things are so low stakes and low difficulty that any build should be obliterating through it, unless you're playing like a pure defensive set-up--BUT EVEN THEN--if that's what you enjoy playing, then it's meta for you because the entire goal of open world content is just to have fun I guess, so what's most-effective-at achieving that goal varies from person to person.

    If you just want a fine-tuned Rev build to crush open world though, straight Zerker/Scholar Power Herald (sword/sword/staff/hammer to swap for bosses/bounties with Phase Shifted) is the way to go. You can make an argument for Power Renegade or Power Core, but they all generally underperform Herald in a solo play (bring your own boons) environment--especially in the new zone where you can generate your own Quickness with the new mastery.

    Generally as a Revenant, unless you're really married to the idea of playing one, you want to avoid condi builds in open world... Not to say that they're bad, but condi Rev builds have a really long dps ramp up time and poor burst vs non-huge hitbox, so things will die before you've even peaked your dps--and that is further compounded by the more people that are around.

    Not accurate.
    I kill as fast or sometimes with less effort on my condi rev than my zerker rev.

    The condi burst happens faster than most think, I also use this build to kill players on wvw when they go lame, I go condi lame as well.

    Weaver/tempests/FB just melt, won a 1 vs 5 on marshal stats due healing sustain and applying mass torment and burns due movement nature of pvp combats was constantly ticking 2k 4K at max.

    Renegade/Deamon (While using both legend elites u will gain heal per sec (steadfast rejuvenation) plus torment runes will heal u and renegade elite is a vampiric aoe, while can still use other heals :P while aplying mass torment, heals skill from legends will give dome every 20sec) .
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAUlflhQLsIajJRaMIKjBSjMBygDzi/zE-zRJYvRNfJ49A-e

    The OP's talking open world, not WvW... The mobs in open world have almost no toughness compared to your random wvw player, where power is less effective due to player mitigation weight. You literally can't compare the two game modes and I don't even know why you'd bring it up. That'd be like if somebody was asking about what the best graphic card on the market is and you told them that your Roku TV is great for streaming.

    And I'm sorry, no matter how well you coordinate your condi burst, it's still slower then just 1-shotting a trash mob with PT+PS. There's a reason Condi Rev is probably the worst dps choice in the fractal meta, and that same principle carries over doubly into open world where the mobs have EVEN LESS hp and there's even MORE people potentially spamming damage on them.

    I'm not saying people shouldn't play condi in open world, people can play whatever they want--it's the entire point of the game mode. But to say that your condi roaming build kills things faster in open world than a zerker/scholar setup is just misleading for the sake of being misleading.

  • Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2019

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @Aeolus.3615 said:

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @Grimp.5624 said:
    Ahh right, I actually thought the meta was set tbf.
    Are we talking power or condi here?

    There's not really an "open world meta," things are so low stakes and low difficulty that any build should be obliterating through it, unless you're playing like a pure defensive set-up--BUT EVEN THEN--if that's what you enjoy playing, then it's meta for you because the entire goal of open world content is just to have fun I guess, so what's most-effective-at achieving that goal varies from person to person.

    If you just want a fine-tuned Rev build to crush open world though, straight Zerker/Scholar Power Herald (sword/sword/staff/hammer to swap for bosses/bounties with Phase Shifted) is the way to go. You can make an argument for Power Renegade or Power Core, but they all generally underperform Herald in a solo play (bring your own boons) environment--especially in the new zone where you can generate your own Quickness with the new mastery.

    Generally as a Revenant, unless you're really married to the idea of playing one, you want to avoid condi builds in open world... Not to say that they're bad, but condi Rev builds have a really long dps ramp up time and poor burst vs non-huge hitbox, so things will die before you've even peaked your dps--and that is further compounded by the more people that are around.

    Not accurate.
    I kill as fast or sometimes with less effort on my condi rev than my zerker rev.

    The condi burst happens faster than most think, I also use this build to kill players on wvw when they go lame, I go condi lame as well.

    Weaver/tempests/FB just melt, won a 1 vs 5 on marshal stats due healing sustain and applying mass torment and burns due movement nature of pvp combats was constantly ticking 2k 4K at max.

    Renegade/Deamon (While using both legend elites u will gain heal per sec (steadfast rejuvenation) plus torment runes will heal u and renegade elite is a vampiric aoe, while can still use other heals :P while aplying mass torment, heals skill from legends will give dome every 20sec) .
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAUlflhQLsIajJRaMIKjBSjMBygDzi/zE-zRJYvRNfJ49A-e

    The OP's talking open world, not WvW... The mobs in open world have almost no toughness compared to your random wvw player, where power is less effective due to player mitigation weight. You literally can't compare the two game modes and I don't even know why you'd bring it up. That'd be like if somebody was asking about what the best graphic card on the market is and you told them that your Roku TV is great for streaming.

    And I'm sorry, no matter how well you coordinate your condi burst, it's still slower then just 1-shotting a trash mob with PT+PS. There's a reason Condi Rev is probably the worst dps choice in the fractal meta, and that same principle carries over doubly into open world where the mobs have EVEN LESS hp and there's even MORE people potentially spamming damage on them.

    I'm not saying people shouldn't play condi in open world, people can play whatever they want--it's the entire point of the game mode. But to say that your condi roaming build kills things faster in open world than a zerker/scholar setup is just misleading for the sake of being Misleading.

    My hammer was hitting 20k hits....power...but it’s a squishy build, lag or miss calculated dodge can be the player death.

    It’s a melt target gimmick.

  • Pterikdactyl.7630Pterikdactyl.7630 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Catchyfx.5768 said:
    I played today condi herald mix of viper and trailblazer with torment rune set.
    Coruption(mid-top-bottom)
    Retribution(top-x-bottom)
    Herald(mid-top-bottom)

    I was soloing dungeons, fractals, desert bounties. Total ez

    Yeah I would argue that condi Rev is the most versatile way of playing an open world build for Rev, largely because of Tormenting Runes. I mean, you can just straight up ignore a ton of enemy mechanics because your self-sustain will be so high. While power Rev can burst down faster, condi Rev has better AoE pressure and sustain. Sword 2 and 3 scale poorly with multiple mobs. I like running Grieving Renegade with Mallyx/Jalis the best because you can still cheese with the runes and have respectable burst, and all that juicy CC is hard to say no to. The easiest build I have played has been Corr/Invo/Ret, but it lacks might generation unfortunately.

  • @Aeolus.3615 said:

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @Aeolus.3615 said:

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @Grimp.5624 said:
    Ahh right, I actually thought the meta was set tbf.
    Are we talking power or condi here?

    There's not really an "open world meta," things are so low stakes and low difficulty that any build should be obliterating through it, unless you're playing like a pure defensive set-up--BUT EVEN THEN--if that's what you enjoy playing, then it's meta for you because the entire goal of open world content is just to have fun I guess, so what's most-effective-at achieving that goal varies from person to person.

    If you just want a fine-tuned Rev build to crush open world though, straight Zerker/Scholar Power Herald (sword/sword/staff/hammer to swap for bosses/bounties with Phase Shifted) is the way to go. You can make an argument for Power Renegade or Power Core, but they all generally underperform Herald in a solo play (bring your own boons) environment--especially in the new zone where you can generate your own Quickness with the new mastery.

    Generally as a Revenant, unless you're really married to the idea of playing one, you want to avoid condi builds in open world... Not to say that they're bad, but condi Rev builds have a really long dps ramp up time and poor burst vs non-huge hitbox, so things will die before you've even peaked your dps--and that is further compounded by the more people that are around.

    Not accurate.
    I kill as fast or sometimes with less effort on my condi rev than my zerker rev.

    The condi burst happens faster than most think, I also use this build to kill players on wvw when they go lame, I go condi lame as well.

    Weaver/tempests/FB just melt, won a 1 vs 5 on marshal stats due healing sustain and applying mass torment and burns due movement nature of pvp combats was constantly ticking 2k 4K at max.

    Renegade/Deamon (While using both legend elites u will gain heal per sec (steadfast rejuvenation) plus torment runes will heal u and renegade elite is a vampiric aoe, while can still use other heals :P while aplying mass torment, heals skill from legends will give dome every 20sec) .
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAUlflhQLsIajJRaMIKjBSjMBygDzi/zE-zRJYvRNfJ49A-e

    The OP's talking open world, not WvW... The mobs in open world have almost no toughness compared to your random wvw player, where power is less effective due to player mitigation weight. You literally can't compare the two game modes and I don't even know why you'd bring it up. That'd be like if somebody was asking about what the best graphic card on the market is and you told them that your Roku TV is great for streaming.

    And I'm sorry, no matter how well you coordinate your condi burst, it's still slower then just 1-shotting a trash mob with PT+PS. There's a reason Condi Rev is probably the worst dps choice in the fractal meta, and that same principle carries over doubly into open world where the mobs have EVEN LESS hp and there's even MORE people potentially spamming damage on them.

    I'm not saying people shouldn't play condi in open world, people can play whatever they want--it's the entire point of the game mode. But to say that your condi roaming build kills things faster in open world than a zerker/scholar setup is just misleading for the sake of being Misleading.

    My hammer was hitting 20k hits....power...but it’s a squishy build, lag or miss calculated dodge can be the player death.

    It’s a melt target gimmick.

    When you say hammer hits 20k.. We talking the 2handed one or the spinning hammers ? Cause I'm no where near those numbers!

    For the moment I'm running Jalis/Malyx Jalis for the heals/hammers Malyx for the (R) and AoE.
    sword/sword (because dual lightsabers) /flex and when I'm done grinding my griffon I'll look into mace/axe variants and see if I like those better
    Staff -or- bow depending on my mood.

    Zerker gear - leading towards Marauder for more life.
    I believe I'm using Strength runes, but doubt just struck me., and Bloodlust.

    Invo - mid/bot/mid
    Deva - mid/mid/bot
    Rene - top/bot/mid
    Haven't been able to find the mighty +5's yet ( I might just be mildly senile here?)

    This said, Malyx might not be the best option, and although having fun, I find myself down a lot more than my mesmer mate (I know these masters of illusion are in a league of their own)

    But yeah to sum up to the post again, it's purely PvE :)
    I'm thankful for the inputs, I just haven't had the time to reply till today.

  • Imagine talking about power rev being better in open world compared to condi. That power rev who cant do anything but autoattack to death group of mobs while condi has insane aoe and sustain. As it stands now my condi rev has so much sustain that i might as well unbind dodge button while soloing champs/large group of mobs

  • @Scoobaniec.9561 said:
    Imagine talking about power rev being better in open world compared to condi. That power rev who cant do anything but autoattack to death group of mobs while condi has insane aoe and sustain. As it stands now my condi rev has so much sustain that i might as well unbind dodge button while soloing champs/large group of mobs

    =O
    So much for Metabattle then lol.
    Right I'll setup a condi herald inspired by the Lord Hizen and take it from there. Cheers lads!

  • @narcx.3570 said:
    And I'm sorry, no matter how well you coordinate your condi burst, it's still slower then just 1-shotting a trash mob with PT+PS. There's a reason Condi Rev is probably the worst dps choice in the fractal meta, and that same principle carries over doubly into open world where the mobs have EVEN LESS hp and there's even MORE people potentially spamming damage on them.

    Seriously man? PT+PS is your answer in OW??
    I'm speechless! When I'm playing OW, I usually have at least 5 foes around. Your combo will kill one or two at best (if they are packed). And then almost out of energy.
    With condi, you leap to group foes (if necessary) then mace 2+3 with/without elite. Sure it's not one shot, but you will kill 5-10 foes while beeing able to kite while condis tick (providing they don't attack at range).

    To me, power shines vs a few foes while condis is great for mass.
    OW is just mass...
    Power rev is seriously lacking in AOE options.

  • narcx.3570narcx.3570 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2019

    @Aigleborgne.2981 said:
    Seriously man? PT+PS is your answer in OW??
    Power rev is seriously lacking in AOE options.

    It's just one of several combos that you rotate through... I just mentioned that one because of PS's low cool down and the fact that it one shots anything that's not an Elite or Champion.

    As for AoE, I don't personally use it, but Vengeful Hammers is always an option... I've just never found a need to use it cuz Elemental Blast does way more damage than it should, leaving everything in a state where you can spread your PS and SW to finish them all (without having to abandon your boi, Shiro), but if you wanna add jalishammers to those 3 things, that's actually a pretty big chunk of aoe output--and that's not even counting if you wanna quickly swap staff for hammer to bring actual, real AoE burst to the table.

    But as I said originally (but everyone seems to cut out of their quotes so they can keep arguing), it doesn't really even matter what you play in OW because the stakes are so low. Literally any build will kill anything with little-to-no-risk of you dying... So people should just play what they want. That said, if you are trying to mix/max/tryhard your output and time spent there, you can't ignore condi rev's insanely slow condi ramp up time (slower than any other condi dps class except vs Huge Hitbox)... It's literally what its meta viability is and always has been built around: "Do I have enough time to ramp up my condis, and does the target have enough health to take advantage of that and make it worth it." Again though, since it is open world, if people find it more fun to drop torment on mobs and kite them around in a circle until they die from it, that's there prerogative! Just personally for me, I'd rather instantly delete everything and move on with my day... And if someone asks what the most effective build is for something, I'm gonna point them to the one that kills things the fastest, since that's what basically everything in gw2 pve comes down to.

  • Grimp.5624Grimp.5624 Member ✭✭
    edited November 28, 2019

    Right so I've been toying around with some condi builds based around Hizens that was posted above.
    You can't argue about the sustain - I yet have to make it flow right, guess I've been to used to just auto attack in power renegade lol.
    Killing is somewhat slower by the feel on single targets, but AoE is pretty fast with embrace.

    I just can't make Glint feel right, I might be doing it all wrong, but the second I swap to glint my stacks just goes away and I have to swap back to Malyx to reapply them.
    Been trying out a Condi Renegade but the bow and Malyx aren't really working well together as well as I'd like.
    However the Bow is nicer for kiting than Hammer imho.

    One thing is certain, I've died a lot less after going Condi. I tend to just go all in with powerbuilds and find myself laying on the floor /shrug

  • Ive also started with Lord Hizen's build with some of his gear and some easy to obtain vit/tough/condi gear. I think its a little overkill to get that much sustain/toughness, so i switched to renegade instead of Glint. Traits: Renegade 2-3-1, Invocation 1-3-2, Corruption 3-1-3. You gain a lot of might, Kallas fervor and a lot fury.
    Your critchance while endurance is full will be +33% so the torment trait will proc a lot more. I also think the renegade stance is a lot better in terms of fluent gameplay and for tagging mobs etc, but you are losing a little toughness.
    As my crit chance is a lot higher i went with the lifesteal food (scoop of mintberry icecream).
    My dps went up to something like 175% of the original Hizen build with glint, survivability is still enough for most of the champs and solo fractals.