Suggestion: Custom Outfit\Skin templates

Aeon.4583

With the release of templates, i've faced a few problems concerning Fashion Wars. Don't want to repeat it, so there is a link.https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/91543/equipment-templates-and-skins-multi-gear-conflict

Because of it i want to bring up a suggestion to arena net. Simple idea of Custom Outfit or Skin Templates.mTqrTjL.jpg2o3bTMS.jpgEverything here as simple as it can be. With multiple equipment templates in use, it is really hard to use multiple gears to change skins on demand. In link above you can read it.Custom outfit will work in same method as equipment templates. The cost to store or change a skin in the respective slot on the template table is one transmutation charge. When stored in the template, it can be used via checkbox near the number of the template. Once checkbox is set, skin template ( or custom outfit ) will override any gear skins that currently used in equipment templates. With stored skins, there is also a dye template. Each skin template can have hotkey for easy switch. If skin template is used with some empty slots, regular skins from equipment templates will be shown for those slots. Use of Outfit will hold priority over Custom Outfits.

On personal note - i will be very happy if something like that will be added. And not to leave Gemstore away, first offer of skin templates can be limited to free two per character, max to six. Interchangeable gear still can be used for gear-skin changes on demand. But in my experience, it is really difficult to use with equipment templates.

I think they should revamp the system as a whole (yes, so shortly after release): my suggestion in the official feedback thread.This way, there are actual templates in which you can store different skins per build (and more). No way I'm paying for a fourth overpriced category.

Still thinking about revamping my suggestion to include upgrades and a better interface maybe.

@Linken.6345 said:

It dont work and aint supposed to work is it?Just to be clear i didn't speak about transmutation charge change. Small trick - to properly use skin change on demand ( transmutation charge free ) with multiple gears of same type you need to have them( two Helms with same stats and upgrades, but different skins, been there done that ). More to that you must use only a single equipment template ( or atleast not use possible interchangable gear items in two templates ), otherwise items will not interchange, and won't go back into inventory and vice versa, and will be stuck in equipment template. For a long time i've been changing chest and helm skins by equipping items from inventory. Equipment templates kinda broke it.

In case with legendary armor, it is far more complicated. because you don't need different gear-items to be placed in equipment template for different stats. In this case equipment template just changes stats from Legendary Armor's 'Customization'. And since single Legendary armor\weapon can be used like that in many equipment templates, intechangable gear will not work, items will stuck in template again.

Also, even with Legendary Armor, to use multiple gears for skins, you will have to put ascendeds into slots where you want to have changable skins, or be crazy enough to farm more legendaries. But who needs that.

From what they said on the stream showing it off the first time, the dev featuring it said that they and the team wants to have the equipment templates be transmuted rather than the equipment. They just need to refer to the ones in charge of the gem store and the market team to make sure it won't effect the transmutation charge economy.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:From what they said on the stream showing it off the first time, the dev featuring it said that they and the team wants to have the equipment templates be transmuted rather than the equipment. They just need to refer to the ones in charge of the gem store and the market team to make sure it won't effect the transmutation charge economy.

Honestly, transmutation charges on Gemstore at this time is pointless, since it's been introduced into log-in rewards and even reward tracks. It is just endless supply of them simply by playing this or that game mode. Right now i have 3 digit number of them in account. And despite a conflict between fashion wars and equipment templates i won't use them =)

instead i can open my Ascended gear storage i have from Fractalas and WvW and fill templates with gear to remove the interchangable gear conflicts. But, thats just crazy. I would rather switch skin templates, not outfill equipment templates.

• 1 month later...

Just to give another reason for arena.net to consider that.Few days ago i've created Asura female, to fill my account's engineer slot. I've decided to level up that character old school. Zone by zone, picking up gear from loot, completing hearts.

There is a problem to that. Since i didn't find outfit i liked, i've cooked up look using wardrobe skins, and did a screenshot for later use. I cannot use them right now because 'old school' leveling means constant gear change.

If Custom Outfits\Skin Templates will be present, players (new or old, low level or max level) will be able to have fixated armor skins provided from Wardrobe collection.

• 2 months later...

As of latest improvements suggested by arena net to legendary items. I think adding weapons to Skin Templates will be reasonable too. Together with armor. skin templates should offer a choice to set skin for all possible weapons. In skin template tab, there will be a list of all profession allowed main-hand, off-hand, two hand and aquatic weapons. Skin templates will allow to set skin for those weapon overriding any weapon skin from Equipment Template.

Main hand and off hand weapons should be offered in seperate slot. Like for exampleMain hand Sword skin - Shining BladeOff hand Sword skin - Save the Queen

• 2 weeks later...

This is some form of example of skin template idea that will work well with upcoming Legendary Armory.keu5j3D.pngJust an example, but this version of skin template offers player not only to choose armor skins, but also all the possible weapon skins even taking under consideration Off-hand and Main-hand slots, which can have different skins even if weapon type is same. I used my thief as example.Each change of skin in this template will cost 1 transmutation charge.Once set it will override the appearance of respective item in respective slot, outfit will hold priority over this template. With Legendary Armory this will be very helpful thing to maintain the independent looks of all characters who will be using Legendary Armory. Plus, it will allow players to store multiple armor skin variations for later use if there will be more than one skin template.Plus to that, Skin Templates will help new players to maintain static appearance, also it will be big help for veteran players who prefer to level up character via map exploration ( as we know, while doing old-school leveling, you equip better stat items, and this also changes your character appearance, excluding outfits )