PSA: Don't tilt if you're serious about winning.

Zexanima.7851

Rule #1 of competitive gaming is don't tilt. If you tilt you're throwing in the towel, it's almost certainly a lose. I've had plenty of games where we have come back from "certain" defeat because of a positive attitude and everyone working together (though these are the minority of games). If you're going to tilt as soon as you start losing go play unranked. You cannot logically expect everyone on your team to be the best player ever and to always be better than the opposing team. What you can do though is work to outplay them with team work. Even if the other team is is "better" than yours all it takes if for them to mess up once and your team to be attentive and take advantage of it. If you afk in spawn because you're playing with "noobs" you give up that chance. I'll say it one more time, if you're serious about ranked, do not tilt.

To help combat this I always try to start the game on a positive note like "You all are awesome, lets kick some ass". When I fuck up I take responsibility of it in chat to take away the chance for people to start throwing out "dumb noob" and crap like that. Whenever my teammates fuck up I just say "It happens man, just roll with it" or something like that. If someone is being toxic, ignore them and keep being positive. If you feel yourself getting tilted, ignore chat and your team even though its not ideal. Its better that you just focus on doing the best you can rather than afking at spawn. By keeping the team positive I've even had games were we have come back from having a DC for the first half the game.

I'll leave you with this little nugget of positivity;"Don't hate people if they hate you! Do good, die great" - Jordan

That is well-said. It also helps to think that all your team mates are trying their best. No one likes to lose on purpose. So when they get outplayed or outrotated and you know it better, please try to guide them through the team chat, let them know different approaches. I had a match yesterday where one thief wrote exactly where to go to. I knew he was a really good player beforehand, and that helped us to win the game. It was a really close match. Without his effort we might have lost the game.It also depends on the role / classes players choose. I almost exclusively play necro and tried thief months ago for the first time. This is how I got better at rotations. Since different classes have a different role and focus. There are so many aspects and your team mates have a reason they play like they play.Exception: Throwers, wintraders and so on...

These are all good points. As soon as a player gets toxic mid game their team inevitably gets worse results immediately throughout the rest of the match. Having teammates not as experienced or skilled as u in the match is not their fault and as said above in most cases they are playing to the best of their abilities. It's more of the fault of the games match making and the players have no impact in this.Constructive criticism and suggestions of how they could improve are more helpful.

it's impossible to not tilt when you are on certain rank and people start playing like bronzes/bots and it's obvious to predict you going to lose, most of the games you can see you going to lose just at start.

3 team mates go home at start1 team mate jump at middle node and jump alone on 4 peopleteam mates can't focusenemy have far and mid then they go everyone at home and everyone start fighting there without trying to decap mid or far.

@SeikeNz.3526 said:it's impossible to not tilt when you are on certain rank and people start playing like bronzes/bots and it's obvious to predict you going to lose, most of the games you can see you going to lose just at start.

3 team mates go home at start1 team mate jump at middle node and jump alone on 4 peopleteam mates can't focusenemy have far and mid then they go everyone at home and everyone start fighting there without trying to decap mid or far.

As it turns out it is possible to not tilt in these situations, I don't. You play with the hand you're dealt. Try to communicate with the team what they need to do in a (this part is key) respectful and kind way what they need to do. They may not be paying attention to chat or not have the skills yet to execute on the correct course of action. If that's the case then you need to do your best to carry and play around their bad plays. It's good experience for you. If 3 go home and 1 mid then you have two options really. You can try to take far if you're confident you can win the fight then rotate and take mid while your team loses home. You could also stay with your team, wait for your mid to die then hope your team is able to engage and get a kill before their home player rotates in on the fight.

There is still valuable to be had in a match even if it ends up being a lose. Practice on your rotation speed, practice dueling, practice surviving out numbered and stalling. Don't let the time go to waste just because you might lose. The only way you can really lose is if you give up and just sit in spawn. I challenge you to force yourself to be grossly over positive for a week and see if it doesn't help, what do you have to lose?

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@"SeikeNz.3526" said:it's impossible to not tilt when you are on certain rank and people start playing like bronzes/bots and it's obvious to predict you going to lose, most of the games you can see you going to lose just at start.

Why do you act like these things only happen to you? Many games i've won is because the other team does dumb kitten. I've been at mid w 2 other's and this solo dude runs in dies in 3 seconds. I get bots. I kill bots on other team. I get afks and they do too. Anet needs a better system that acts immediately removing anyone that afks at spawn for 20 seconds so I don't lose rank or actually act on the 100s of reports we do on obvious bots.

This^Plus if those players arnt bots or obviously purposefully throwing the match than chances are their doing the best they can at the time and if their skill lv isnt up to par than that again is match making issue and not the players fault right?Even if the match goes very bad a "good try guys" looks far better on u than "i lost cuz my noob team"- cuz did u really? Lol

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@SeikeNz.3526 said:it's impossible to not tilt when you are on certain rank and people start playing like bronzes/bots and it's obvious to predict you going to lose, most of the games you can see you going to lose just at start.

As it turns out it is possible to not tilt in these situations, I don't. You play with the hand you're dealt. Try to communicate with the team what they need to do in a (this part is key)
respectful and kind
way what they need to do. They may not be paying attention to chat or not have the skills yet to execute on the correct course of action. If that's the case then you need to do your best to carry and play around their bad plays. It's good experience for you. If 3 go home and 1 mid then you have two options really. You can try to take far if you're confident you can win the fight then rotate and take mid while your team loses home. You could also stay with your team, wait for your mid to die then hope your team is able to engage and get a kill before their home player rotates in on the fight.

There is still valuable to be had in a match even if it ends up being a lose. Practice on your rotation speed, practice dueling, practice surviving out numbered and stalling. Don't let the time go to waste just because you might lose. The only way you can really lose is if you give up and just sit in spawn. I challenge you to force yourself to be grossly over positive for a week and see if it doesn't help, what do you have to lose?

sure you try to be respectful and kind, you try to talk with them, they ignore you, them the matchmaking forces teams like that in a row, other day i lost 150 rank points because team mates doing these things, was puting me with lower ranks because of the low population, even if i was doing good and getting alot of top stats, try to not tilt, i get very mad but i never go afk

@SeikeNz.3526 said:

As it turns out it is possible to not tilt in these situations, I don't. You play with the hand you're dealt. Try to communicate with the team what they need to do in a (this part is key)
respectful and kind
way what they need to do. They may not be paying attention to chat or not have the skills yet to execute on the correct course of action. If that's the case then you need to do your best to carry and play around their bad plays. It's good experience for you. If 3 go home and 1 mid then you have two options really. You can try to take far if you're confident you can win the fight then rotate and take mid while your team loses home. You could also stay with your team, wait for your mid to die then hope your team is able to engage and get a kill before their home player rotates in on the fight.

sure you try to be respectful and kind, you try to talk with them, they ignore you, them the matchmaking forces teams like that in a row, other day a lost 150 rank points because team mates doing these things, was puting me with lower ranks because of the low population, try to not tilt

I have days like this as well, we all play the same game. I feel like I'm better for it because it really forces me to strain my skills to try and win and I come out a better player for it. Telling my team "git gud noobs" doesn't some how make me a better player or change the fact we lost and it defiantly doesn't make me feel better about myself. If you cant' control your feeling or have no intention of trying to then maybe really consider if ranked is the best place for you to enjoy the game.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

@Zexanima.7851 said:Rule #1 of competitive gaming is don't tilt.

But... gw2 isnt competitive in the slightest. I didnt think it was possible to fight certain builds/comps and not get tilted.

It's competitive or people wouldn't compete for ranked, though there are balance and match making issues. It is possible to not tilt if you take your competitive play seriously. Mechanical skill, game knowledge, and emotional fortitude are all super important to winning any kind of a competitive game. How lame would something like hockey be if every time half way through the game some of the losing team threw a fit and walked off because they were losing?

@Zexanima.7851 said:

But... gw2 isnt competitive in the slightest. I didnt think it was possible to fight certain builds/comps and not get tilted.

It's competitive or people wouldn't compete for ranked, though there are balance and match making issues. It is possible to not tilt if you take your competitive play seriously. Mechanical skill, game knowledge, and emotional fortitude are all super important to winning any kind of a competitive game. How lame would something like hockey be if every time half way through the game some of the losing team threw a fit and walked off because they were losing?

Bad class design, poor matchmaking due to low population, duo que, match manipulation, win trading, bots, afk/leavers all prevent me from trying to be competitive. The issue I have is that mechanical skill and game knowledge cant solve these problems, which makes every game frustrating to some degree. The only way i can play gw2 without tilting is if I dont care about the match outcome at all. The game itself is more toxic and tilting than the players.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Bad class design, poor matchmaking due to low population, duo que, match manipulation, win trading, bots, afk/leavers all prevent me from trying to be competitive. The issue I have is that mechanical skill and game knowledge cant solve these problems, which makes every game frustrating to some degree. The only way i can play gw2 without tilting is if I dont care about the match outcome at all. The game itself is more toxic and tilting than the players.

Then don't play it? I had to take a break for a couple months myself. I do agree there are toxic aspects to PvP that anet needs to address but I don't tend to count on them to fix anything so I deal with what I got. For me I can't find a PvP game whos combat I enjoy as much as GW2 or I might switch to something else with better balance. Balance and game design aside my point still stands. If you play ranked and let yourself get tilted for whatever reason you're more likely then not going to lose so best play unranked if you find yourself getting tilted often or try to work on not tilting.

Agreed. Tilting basically ensures you lose that match.

Nobody plays better when they're angry or upset. If you've already been tilted your own play is probably suffering, so why would you then turn on your teammates and ensure that they are also feeling angry and upset, therefore reducing the quality of their play even further?

More than that, when you get mad and start shouting at your teammates they usually try to defend themselves. You know what they aren't doing while having an argument with you over whether or not they suck? Playing well. Because they are now focusing more on your words than they are on the objectives.

There is no positive outcome from being rude or condescending to your teammates. You've basically elected to lose the match the moment you've chosen to start trash talking your team.

Lol yeah way to often during seasons has there been someone on the team that decide to afk and complain in chat after the first midfight resulting in a loss, only to start playing again at the 350 mark when they realize the rest of us are still winning without them - just goes to show how "useful" tilters really are.

@"SeikeNz.3526" said:it's impossible to not tilt

It is possible. I'm trash, but I can still find ways to climb into plat 1 and hold my own enough that I'm not a liability.As Daigo Umehara, fighting game legend, says, "whoever masters their emotions will win the game" (感情を制する者はゲームを制す).

Your skill at appraisal is important. You appraise your own skill and toolkit and how relevant you are at your level and in the match. You appraise how much you need to know and learn to improve. You appraise your own faults and what you need to do to rectify them.

Break down a game that is impossible to win by seeking other small goals that improve your play. You win when you meet the winning conditions. You lose if you don't. Focus on increasing your ability to fulfill those winning conditions, and you will naturally be able to win more. Everything outside of your control is not worth considering.

Winning is a side effect of your improvement as a player; the true battle is with yourself, to crush your hubris and tendency to find excuses, and reach a state of calm focus. Frustrations and struggles are constant in gaming. You don't avoid tilt, you confront it and neutralise it with confident emotional control.