Help with a Norn Thief

Brycar.2651

I am going to crest a Norn thief who follow Snow Leopard spirit. I’m having trouble because I see most Norn as gentle giants who wear their hearts on their sleeve and enjoy ale at the moots. I can’t envision a sneaky thief.

Wiki says “ the norn are often tolerant of an individual to whom other races might treat with hostility by association, for example the Sons of Svanir are, to some extent, tolerated. There is no such thing as infamy to the norn. For example, a norn who achieves respect from their peers through deeds that might be considered "underhanded" by human standards has still accomplished what the norn value most, and is seen as equal to a norn who has performed more "respectable" acts.”

So I’m starting to think of a Hon Solo kind of Norn shady character but loveable rouge. He is willing to smuggle contraband and plunder a tomb but would help out a pal in need or get in too friendly with the bad guys to spy on them.

What are you ideas to help flesh out my Norn thief?

Norn are boisterous and boastful, and highly social, but they're also driven by challenges and deeds. A Norn would turn to Thief skills as a skilled huntsman or assassin, telling tales of how cleverly they killed, the complexity of the traps they set or disarmed, the many kinds of creatures they sneak past or surprise, etc., etc.. Maybe they don't give names and locations, but they're more than happy to talk about techniques, and form, quick improvisations, or whittling away defenses... the story of the kill is more important than the identity of the target (ever play a Hitman game? like that). Imagine how much greater a Norn must be, whose legend is known for being unknown!

Similarly, a Norn wouldn't particularly care if some groups (especially Humans) don't approve of their actions. Maybe they're widely known for being "underhanded"... but they're still widely known.

Remember also, Thieves aren't necessarily broken, scarred, and desperate societal dregs. Not everyone blends into the shadows because they have no other choice. Some people choose this profession for a "thrill of the hunt", a la Indiana Jones. Some take the hidden paths to root out what else lurks there, like the Batman. Some seek the challenge of surprising and humiliating their enemies, as Robin Hood did.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Brycar.2651" said:I am going to crest a Norn thief who follow Snow Leopard spirit. I’m having trouble because I see most Norn as gentle giants who wear their hearts on their sleeve and enjoy ale at the moots. I can’t envision a sneaky thief.

Wiki says “ the norn are often tolerant of an individual to whom other races might treat with hostility by association, for example the Sons of Svanir are, to some extent, tolerated. There is no such thing as infamy to the norn. For example, a norn who achieves respect from their peers through deeds that might be considered "underhanded" by human standards has still accomplished what the norn value most, and is seen as equal to a norn who has performed more "respectable" acts.”

So I’m starting to think of a Hon Solo kind of Norn shady character but loveable rouge. He is willing to smuggle contraband and plunder a tomb but would help out a pal in need or get in too friendly with the bad guys to spy on them.

What are you ideas to help flesh out my Norn thief?

I play a lot of Norns, and I'm heavy into their culture. I too have a Norn Thief, who considers himself a follower of Otter. You can be a thief and a Norn, and its quite easy to set that record straight. Like your idea he is a shady and lovable guy, but he's also a pirate raider. Norns can have 'gentle giant' traits, but that doesn't really speak for the norm. Remember that above all, hunting is a high virtue for the Norn, as is testing one's self against the savagery of nature. Norn can be very violent in those moments, showing teeth and claws if the beast within them begins to manifest. The more 'in line with current civilization' Norns are known to be good natured, but there are enough Sons of Svanir to show they can also be callous, cold, and unforgiving. In short, there's nothing about a Norn that isn't manifest in other races as well. Embracing of technology and the asura have a saying that 'the size of a brain is also relative the size of the intellect' which puts Norn ahead of their own curves. This is also reflected by some Norn being ready to pick up the engineering arts as well.

So honestly? Your ideas are already good. I've been in plenty of Norn culturally focused guilds, and these things are not so much outside the box as they may seem. Thief is a catch all term, much like warrior is. It covers a very broad base of things.