This build is so busted

Dantheman.3589

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@bluri.2653 said:staff one of the best builds against fb? is this a joke? staff good in general? i mean when u play in dumpster tier i understandS/D "non viable because it doesn't do against firebrand" i mean are you playing the game at all? S/D is the one build that actually made thief playable in high tiers BECAUSE of S/D lmao

@bluri.2653 said:staff one of the best builds against fb? is this a joke? staff good in general? i mean when u play in dumpster tier i understandS/D "non viable because it doesn't do against firebrand" i mean are you playing the game at all? S/D is the one build that actually made thief playable in high tiers BECAUSE of S/D lmao

You have to consider the majority of players don't play at your level. You're the proverbial "1%" and the majority of players are in that "dumpster tier" as I assume player skill is spread in a normal distribution. I play staff DrD and I do pretty well. Not the greatest 100% awesome, but well enough that I win more often than I lose. The damage is good enough for me to brawl even against a tanky fb because I have the knowledge of when to dodge and when to strip his boons with steal. If I fought a fb on the top of the leader boards? I'd get pounded but then at that point it wouldn't matter what build I played would it.

EDIT:My point is, its a statistical fallacy to say something is or isn't good because it is or isn't played by your small group of peers.

Meh he’s a good thief but from what I remember when I claimed S/D was meta he mocked me on stream then 1 week later he had to play S/D to win the mat and in ranked.But hey I’m not saying S/D is totally unviable it works not bad against 1 FB but against 2 and a necro id much rather play staff and certainly wouldnt dream of playing dp or sp if I wanted to win.Edit: Core necro has lots of tools for countering thief plus with firebrands now with block and blind sword thief cannot hit much besides sword 3 which damage is pretty sub par you are way more likely to down a firebrand immediately with staff 2 plus unblockable swipe, also since sword 3 is only thing that works you don’t have much at all for cleaving and most likely they will be rezzed also with the rework to acro u probably won’t get a second steal immediately to stun whoever’s rezzing and even if you do get it they can very likely block it. Also as far as playing in dumpster tier- I don’t believe it because I’ve played this at plat3 lvl mostly solo and against some of the best teams NA in ATs and much of the time I severely out carry players who are considered some of the better revs and thief’s in game so I’m pretty sure it’s not just garbage tier.

L m a o i got no words, staff is utter trash against anyone with two braincells

You might not able to play staff well against anyone with two brain cells but plenty of people seem to get fair enough results. See my original response as to why it's not as bad as you imagine it is. The pool of people who are good at countering it is much smaller than the total pool of people who you might fight with it. This is basic highschool statistics my dude. Sure, if you're always playing ranked PvP against the same handful of top tier players then it might not be useable, for you. It's not the case for the majority. Your opinions on things seem to be bias by your minority view, which is unfortunate because you're a pretty good player. ¯\
(ツ)

I get paired into gold/plat games and i can tell you staff wouldnt make me win games compared to any of the others, you keep throwing the 1% this and that, believe me i can get games with a 500-700 rating difference at times.

But as i said earlier too, if u enjoy it play it.If they were to revert dp changes i would play it in a heartbeat even if its worse than some builds

@Zexanima.7851 said:

You have to consider the majority of players don't play at your level. You're the proverbial "1%" and the majority of players are in that "dumpster tier" as I assume player skill is spread in a normal distribution. I play staff DrD and I do pretty well. Not the greatest 100% awesome, but well enough that I win more often than I lose. The damage is good enough for me to brawl even against a tanky fb because I have the knowledge of when to dodge and when to strip his boons with steal. If I fought a fb on the top of the leader boards? I'd get pounded but then at that point it wouldn't matter what build I played would it.

EDIT:My point is, its a statistical fallacy to say something is or isn't good because it is or isn't played by your small group of peers.

Meh he’s a good thief but from what I remember when I claimed S/D was meta he mocked me on stream then 1 week later he had to play S/D to win the mat and in ranked.But hey I’m not saying S/D is totally unviable it works not bad against 1 FB but against 2 and a necro id much rather play staff and certainly wouldnt dream of playing dp or sp if I wanted to win.Edit: Core necro has lots of tools for countering thief plus with firebrands now with block and blind sword thief cannot hit much besides sword 3 which damage is pretty sub par you are way more likely to down a firebrand immediately with staff 2 plus unblockable swipe, also since sword 3 is only thing that works you don’t have much at all for cleaving and most likely they will be rezzed also with the rework to acro u probably won’t get a second steal immediately to stun whoever’s rezzing and even if you do get it they can very likely block it. Also as far as playing in dumpster tier- I don’t believe it because I’ve played this at plat3 lvl mostly solo and against some of the best teams NA in ATs and much of the time I severely out carry players who are considered some of the better revs and thief’s in game so I’m pretty sure it’s not just garbage tier.

You might not able to play staff well against anyone with two brain cells but plenty of people seem to get fair enough results. See my original response as to why it's not as bad as you imagine it is. The pool of people who are good at countering it is much smaller than the total pool of people who you might fight with it. This is basic highschool statistics my dude. Sure, if you're always playing ranked PvP against the same handful of top tier players then it might not be useable, for you. It's not the case for the majority. Your opinions on things seem to be bias by your minority view, which is unfortunate because you're a pretty good player. ¯\
(ツ)

I face alot of staff DD in gold and kill most with cluster bombs lmao takes 3 of em to down most zerk staff evade monkey builds:) ita a linear low skill floor and ceiling build that is garbage 90% of the time against anyone who attempts to learn to fight it lol.

@bluri.2653 said:

L m a o i got no words, staff is utter trash against anyone with two braincells. But enjoy playing something that is fun for you, thats all that matters. But in terms of optimal staff isnt even on the same planet as dp/sd/sp

Umm tbh I don’t believe s/p is even viable, dp has also fallen pretty but still these builds aren’t bad in ranked. S/p deadeyes mobility is poorer and proven not super effective against 2 fbs, also the sp dash build is so inconsistent with acro the damage will not be enough in the current meta(in a different meta I’d be all for it though) u can play crits for actual damage even then it’d just be slightly worse then dp. As far as optimal I’d say ppl would choose rev over sd. So I don’t think any of those are very optimal. All there is rn for thief’s is damage so I’m gonna play what does damage nothing else will be optimal and for ranked where I don’t have to worry about firebrands I’m just gonna play condi thief and out perform any other thief build so playing a fun skillful optimal for thief build just isn’t an option 90% of the time I’ll just do condi thief or staff and perform at top 1% level no questions asked

@bluri.2653 said:

(ツ)

I get paired into gold/plat games and i can tell you staff wouldnt make me win games compared to any of the others, you keep throwing the 1% this and that, believe me i can get games with a 500-700 rating difference at times.

But as i said earlier too, if u enjoy it play it.If they were to revert dp changes i would play it in a heartbeat even if its worse than some builds

The only reason I replied is because It's just irksome that you're so over confident it's trash but it's really not. Idk what to tell you if you play games under your skill rating with staff and cant win them. Maybe you need more practice time in on staff? I don't usually have trouble even fighting people in plat as a gold player. The only thing that constantly stomps me is heavy condi spam which is my own fault for not taking more cleanse and ending up in stupid. There are always people that are better than me but I don't think I lose any more often using staff vs S/D. I can start keeping the numbers for proof so it's more than just hear say. If I can beat say (purely hypothetical number) 80% of my opponents with staff but not beat ANY of the other 20% does that mean staff is good or bad? Numerically, its good. Even if those 80% are "L m a o trash bronze tier lul".

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

(ツ)

I face alot of staff DD in gold and kill most with cluster bombs lmao takes 3 of em to down most zerk staff evade monkey builds:) ita a linear low skill floor and ceiling build that is garbage 90% of the time against anyone who attempts to learn to fight it lol.

Actually the build isn’t zerkers and tbh I’ve done lots of 5v5s and 1v1s. Never in ats am I farmed by other thief’s the only time it would be farmed is if you already have little map control that they just focus you the whole time which means your about to lose Anyways. In 1v1s I see it beat s/d s/p and d/p all the time for example I 1v1d Vallun who was on d/p which is supposed to be the best thief build 1v1 and it was so close that when I was downed he was at 1% and ended going downed becuz of poison making it a down state battle- so even against some of the best thief’s on other builds it doesn’t necessarily even lose 1v1 and it can win many times, plus it’s probably way better than those builds in the actual meta since you won’t even see dp thief in ats at this point

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

(ツ)

Just because you face poor players who use staff that does not mean staff is a poor weapon. That's like watching a toddler try to eat with a spoon and spilling food everywhere then being like "Dang, spoons sure suck."

@Zexanima.7851 said:

(ツ)

Just because you face poor players who use staff that does not mean staff is a poor weapon. That's like watching a toddler try to eat with a spoon and spilling food everywhere then being like "Dang, spoons sure suck."

Spoons do suck though. Real pros use sporks.