For a future Elite spec, I would like another class to get Minions like Necro, or pet like Ranger

Knighthonor.4061

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:Since elite specs are GW2's way of doing the dual class concept from the original game, I would like to see a new class elite spec, that introduce new minion skills similar to Necromancer minions to a different class, or a Pet like Ranger's pet concept to a different class, but with a different theme than being an Animal.

Pets are a profession mechanic, not a utility skill. I personally am perfectly fine with minions and things like Turrets and spirits being given to other classes, but pets are a no. Can't remove what makes Ranger unique.

Who could have Minions? Engineer with highly technical Robot Minions using their utility skills in combination for some unique strategies, Elementalist with elemental minions that might be a bit lower in numbers but they could do something unique with it like each minion skill adds to a single powerful minion that warps and changes based on the skills added and element attuned, Revenant with extremely short lived minions that are more spammable with their energy system not sure how they could work exactly, but those would be my picks aside from Necromancer.

As for Turrets? Ranger could have some interesting nature turrets which could be cool, not sure what they'd do but I imaging more along the lines of upgraded sylvari "turret" skills. There is also Elementalist which could drop totem like turrets which could almost act like short ranged banners as opposed to the more offensive nature of engineer, perhaps even act like the GW1 wards which could be a unique idea for a support spec for ele. Guardian could also gain turrets as well or even warrior.

As for Spirits The necromancer could use spirits extremely well as could the elementalist. Revenant's mechanic unfortunately is antithetical to the mechanics that spirits require which is why we got renegade instead... Also they don't get shared utility types, something that frustrates me to no end. Guardian is the last one that could get spirits, since they've already had spirit weapons.

I love summons. A lot of players don't. GW2 hasn't had good summon mechanics or counter play to summons. Which is a shame because I would really enjoy a proper Minion Master elite spec for necromancer especially.

@Lily.1935 said:

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:Since elite specs are GW2's way of doing the dual class concept from the original game, I would like to see a new class elite spec, that introduce new minion skills similar to Necromancer minions to a different class, or a Pet like Ranger's pet concept to a different class, but with a different theme than being an Animal.

Pets are a profession mechanic, not a utility skill. I personally am perfectly fine with minions and things like Turrets and spirits being given to other classes, but pets are a no. Can't remove what makes Ranger unique.

Well Elite specs come with mechanics most of the time. Ranger Pet could be a mechanic for other classes if done in a unique way. By myself I have come up with a few Elite Spec ideas that use Pet(ranger mechanics) on a different non Ranger class. So if I could come up with that by myself, its possible for a team of developers to do the same, if not come up with more.

Who could have Minions? Engineer with highly technical Robot Minions using their utility skills in combination for some unique strategies, Elementalist with elemental minions that might be a bit lower in numbers but they could do something unique with it like each minion skill adds to a single powerful minion that warps and changes based on the skills added and element attuned, Revenant with extremely short lived minions that are more spammable with their energy system not sure how they could work exactly, but those would be my picks aside from Necromancer.

Many classes can have Minions, like some of the examples you mentioned.Warrior- Squires, BeastGuardian - Squires, Angels, SpiritsRevenants - just about anything due to their Mist magic connection to time and alternate dimensions.

Engineer- RobotsThief - Bandits, DemonsRanger- Beast, Spirits, Plant Creatures

Elementalist- Elementals, Spirits, Arcane CreaturesNecromancers- More Necro minions, Demons, UndeadMesmer- Band Members, Doppelganger

As for Turrets? Ranger could have some interesting nature turrets which could be cool, not sure what they'd do but I imaging more along the lines of upgraded sylvari "turret" skills. There is also Elementalist which could drop totem like turrets which could almost act like short ranged banners as opposed to the more offensive nature of engineer, perhaps even act like the GW1 wards which could be a unique idea for a support spec for ele. Guardian could also gain turrets as well or even warrior.

I had a number of Turret elite spec ideas for multiple classes as well.

Warrior- Same steampunk turretsGuardian- SpiritsReventents- Steampunk Turrets and Spirits

Ranger- Nature Plant TurretsEngineer- more engineer turretsThief- Steampunk Turrets

Necromancer- Bone TurretsElementalist- Elemental TotemsMesmer- Orbs

As for Spirits The necromancer could use spirits extremely well as could the elementalist. Revenant's mechanic unfortunately is antithetical to the mechanics that spirits require which is why we got renegade instead... Also they don't get shared utility types, something that frustrates me to no end. Guardian is the last one that could get spirits, since they've already had spirit weapons.

I love summons. A lot of players don't. GW2 hasn't had good summon mechanics or counter play to summons. Which is a shame because I would really enjoy a proper Minion Master elite spec for necromancer especially.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Well Elite specs come with mechanics most of the time. Ranger Pet could be a mechanic for other classes if done in a unique way. By myself I have come up with a few Elite Spec ideas that use Pet(ranger mechanics) on a different non Ranger class. So if I could come up with that by myself, its possible for a team of developers to do the same, if not come up with more.

Its not about whether or not Anet could make another class use pets, they absolutely could, its about class identity. The ranger's identity involves their wild companion. If another class got that it would strip away what makes the the ranger unique. Imagine if warriors got elemental attunments for example. Although that might be kinda cool looking it would undermine the identity of the elmentalist. Same problem here.

@Lily.1935 said:

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:Well Elite specs come with mechanics most of the time. Ranger Pet could be a mechanic for other classes if done in a unique way. By myself I have come up with a few Elite Spec ideas that use Pet(ranger mechanics) on a different non Ranger class. So if I could come up with that by myself, its possible for a team of developers to do the same, if not come up with more.

Its not about whether or not Anet could make another class use pets, they absolutely could, its about class identity. The ranger's identity involves their wild companion. If another class got that it would strip away what makes the the ranger unique. Imagine if warriors got elemental attunments for example. Although that might be kinda cool looking it would undermine the identity of the elmentalist. Same problem here.

Not at all. Because that's what Elite Specs been pretty much, GW2 version of dual classes. GW1 classes didn't have mechanics only the skills did. So it didn't need to cross up mechanics. But in GW2, Elite specs open things up.

Looking at the identity argument, let's take a look at Warriors. What is Warrior's identity? Weapons and physical combat? Well if that's the case no class should get weapons and physical combat right?

A Warrior with Elementalist Attunement could be unique in theme but mechanically identical, such as traditional stance dances for warriors in older MMOs. So not a reach.Same with "Pets". Again anything can be themed into a "Pet", and I use that term loosely here because when talking about Ranger pet I want to be clear that I am talking about the mechanics alone not specifically an animal like Rangers although it could still be an animal. Because Pets and Minions are different things in the game. I gave a few examples of a Warrior "pet" such as a Knight's Squire or a Beast. Can be anything honestly with the right imagination.

@Lily.1935 said:Its not about whether or not Anet could make another class use pets, they absolutely could, its about class identity. The ranger's identity involves their wild companion. If another class got that it would strip away what makes the the ranger unique. Imagine if warriors got elemental attunments for example. Although that might be kinda cool looking it would undermine the identity of the elmentalist. Same problem here.

Warlocks in WoW have a demonic companion and that doesn't take anything away from Hunters and their animal companions. I don't see how the same would somehow not apply to GW2. Ranger is the designated pet class of GW2 currently but I don't see why it would have to remain that way forever.

Necromancer is probably the first in line to gain a pet mechanic. If they did gain a pet demon for example, they would likely just get a single pet with no swapping. Having a single pet practically requires that you are able to heal/resurrect your infernal friend, especially if the mechanic replaces DS. The Life Force mechanics of Necromancer convert excellently into the purpose of healing a companion.

Funnily enough, Ranger is probably first in line to gain Minions. It would likely be some kind of aggressive druidic crittermancer that summons hordes of small animals against their opponents. Summoning a horde of Pocket Raptors against your opponents would be pretty dang cool.

You dont want to gain necromancer pets. Since they are tied to utility skills, any time you get a transform that -isnt- shroud your minions gets deleted and put on cd. Furthermore mounting up or down sometimes deletes your pets as well, seems to be quite inconsistent about what precisely triggers it.

I would like to see a ranger style necromancer elite that revolves around animal minions. Something where the necro has to acquire a pet before it can be used as a minion with the same full scope of pets as ranger has, but each pet minion brings a different skill & benefit that are similar to those of the same pet on ranger, with the life force mechanic being used for summoning the pet possibly with a trait for sharing damage from necro to pet, or something along those lines.

Elementalista needs a reworkSummoning the elementals like NecroSummoning weapons like Engineer

@Moira Shalaar.5620 said:I would like to see a ranger style necromancer elite that revolves around animal minions. Something where the necro has to acquire a pet before it can be used as a minion with the same full scope of pets as ranger has, but each pet minion brings a different skill & benefit that are similar to those of the same pet on ranger, with the life force mechanic being used for summoning the pet possibly with a trait for sharing damage from necro to pet, or something along those lines.

Amazing ideia.

@Moira Shalaar.5620 said:I would like to see a ranger style necromancer elite that revolves around animal minions. Something where the necro has to acquire a pet before it can be used as a minion with the same full scope of pets as ranger has, but each pet minion brings a different skill & benefit that are similar to those of the same pet on ranger, with the life force mechanic being used for summoning the pet possibly with a trait for sharing damage from necro to pet, or something along those lines.

Great idea, but I would make the necro pets unique for Necro and would like the task of unlocking them in the game world like Ranger. Different kind of creatures. Especially if something like this is released in an expansion with new Maps and stuff like that would be great to explore on necro and hunt down monsters to add to my Necro pets and use Life Force in some way to make the pets grow in power and consume life force when pet uses its skills.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Since elite specs are GW2's way of doing the dual class concept from the original game, I would like to see a new class elite spec, that introduce new minion skills similar to Necromancer minions to a different class, or a Pet like Ranger's pet concept to a different class, but with a different theme than being an Animal.

'Necromancers , calling on the spirits of the dead, and even death itself, to overpower enemies and assist allies.'

'Rangers are unique in their ability to succeed with the help of, or even in spite of, their environment. Nature rituals allow them to manipulate the environment to hinder their enemies, or borrow the very power of creation to heal and aid their allies'

'They are the only profession with the ability to charm animals, which then accompany them on their travels and assist them in battle, gaining experience and levels over time'

No, thank you

@Burnfall.9573 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Since elite specs are GW2's way of doing the dual class concept from the original game, I would like to see a new class elite spec, that introduce new minion skills similar to Necromancer minions to a different class, or a Pet like Ranger's pet concept to a different class, but with a different theme than being an Animal.

'Necromancers , calling on the spirits of the dead, and even death itself, to overpower enemies and assist allies.'

'Rangers are unique in their ability to succeed with the help of, or even in spite of, their environment. Nature rituals allow them to manipulate the environment to hinder their enemies, or borrow the very power of creation to heal and aid their allies'

'They are the only profession with the ability to charm animals, which then accompany them on their travels and assist them in battle, gaining experience and levels over time'

No, thank you

Actually I wasn't thinking charming animals so much as raising dead animals as Pet minions. They are necromancers after all.

@Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

No, thank you

Actually I wasn't thinking charming animals so much as raising dead animals as Pet minions. They are necromancers after all.

I hear ya. I was thinking about creatures other than just animals though. Like other monsters and stuff.

Necromancer: Warlock, demon summon which has three unique natures based on trait combinations in the tree. (Maybe could summon up to three of them)Revenant: ravager, an elite spec that makes it so whenever you legend swap you gain minions associated with that legend. The legend accompanying this elite spec could be Joko or any other being known to be able to summon anything withing the guild wars lore.Guardian: Ritualist, summons spirits and gains ashes to replace its virtues nuff said.Warrior: Monk, Gains the staff as a casting weapon and summons forth the ancestral spirits from beyond and uses their ancestral might to heal allies and smite foes.Engineer:Golem-mancer, nuff said.Elementalist: Shaman: summons elementals in hordes to do their dirty work.Ranger: Wicker-mancer: Summons wicker creatures to overwhelm enemies alongside their pet

All are decent themes as to what we could good~ just ideas thrown out there but stuff im sure A-net will never do. Im fairly keen on the idea that we will never see another set of Specs, classes or anything.

I'd like that too! I love pet classes. (but I would love to see more specs for the game, at least 3 for each class).I'd also like mesmer to have specialization with permanent summon instead of 3 clones.Mesmer healer spec with bow with music involved - like a bard :D Mesmer and his illusionary harp/lute that follows him everywhere :lol:Maybe thief with his shadow would be interesting to see too?

Good. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that likes pet classes, and wants to see more elite builds that have them.

Since this topic has come up, I think I'll go ahead and throw a few of my ideas in, while I have the chance.

Rangers getting two permanent pets. Just because I like the idea of mixing and matching them to see which ones work well together. They could also get rifle to help range condi (since we lack good range condi on this class, and already have longbow for power builds). And maybe burst skills as our f5, that augment our pets in some way.

Engineer getting a golem pet that they can get inside and turn into a mechsuit. Machine guns, missiles, maybe a mechsword for the auto attack chain. Sounds like it would be fun to play with.

• They could also buff turrets more. Maybe allow them to cooldown while they're active. So instead of firing them and immediately destroying them, we could actually leave them out, and let them cooldown in the background. They don't move or have a lot of effect or damage. I don't see why they are so hamstringed by their design.

Elementalist getting an permanent elemental pet that changes elements as the elementalist changes attunements. It gets different skills per element to keep its output flowing, just as an elementalist does with its attunements. That and some of elementalist's built in support would actually benefit something when the elementalist is alone and soloing.

• They also could rework the two glyph of elementals to be much better.

Necromancers getting a more minion focused build, or perhaps a bigger and more powerful minion would be nice. Though I don't really see them doing this.

• Minions could get some more love though. New skins, for starters, so they aren't so damn ugly. Lower cooldowns, faster summoning time, or even allow them to auto summon. Fleshworm may need a slight rework so it can follow the necro at a distance (Which would allow for its teleport to still be useful. It could break stuns and remove movement impairing conditions.)

Guard's could have their virtue skills become permanent (divine?) spirits you summon, that embodies the themes of the virtues they stem from. Justice would be dps and fire. Resolve would be more healer support. Courage would be a tank and boons. Each having a command skill you could use corresponding to their associated virtues. That and like the elementalist, guard is a bit more group centric, so having your own little group, if even spirits, would be cool.

Obviously these are all pet focused. But that is the topic, and, well, i love pets. They can be incredibly fun to play with.

I sincerely hope there are new elite specializations coming very soon!

@Revanent.9715 said:Good. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that likes pet classes, and wants to see more elite builds that have them.

Since this topic has come up, I think I'll go ahead and throw a few of my ideas in, while I have the chance.

Rangers getting two permanent pets. Just because I like the idea of mixing and matching them to see which ones work well together. They could also get rifle to help range condi (since we lack good range condi on this class, and already have longbow for power builds). And maybe burst skills as our f5, that augment our pets in some way.

Engineer getting a golem pet that they can get inside and turn into a mechsuit. Machine guns, missiles, maybe a mechsword for the auto attack chain. Sounds like it would be fun to play with.

• They could also buff turrets more. Maybe allow them to cooldown while they're active. So instead of firing them and immediately destroying them, we could actually leave them out, and let them cooldown in the background. They don't move or have a lot of effect or damage. I don't see why they are so hamstringed by their design.

Elementalist getting an permanent elemental pet that changes elements as the elementalist changes attunements. It gets different skills per element to keep its output flowing, just as an elementalist does with its attunements. That and some of elementalist's built in support would actually benefit something when the elementalist is alone and soloing.

• They also could rework the two glyph of elementals to be much better.

Necromancers getting a more minion focused build, or perhaps a bigger and more powerful minion would be nice. Though I don't really see them doing this.

• Minions could get some more love though. New skins, for starters, so they aren't so kitten ugly. Lower cooldowns, faster summoning time, or even allow them to auto summon. Fleshworm may need a slight rework so it can follow the necro at a distance (Which would allow for its teleport to still be useful. It could break stuns and remove movement impairing conditions.)

Guard's could have their virtue skills become permanent (divine?) spirits you summon, that embodies the themes of the virtues they stem from. Justice would be dps and fire. Resolve would be more healer support. Courage would be a tank and boons. Each having a command skill you could use corresponding to their associated virtues. That and like the elementalist, guard is a bit more group centric, so having your own little group, if even spirits, would be cool.

Obviously these are all pet focused. But that is the topic, and, well, i love pets. They can be incredibly fun to play with.

I sincerely hope there are new elite specializations coming very soon!

this gave me an idea for Guardian Elite spec mechanics

A while ago I thought a Golemancer spec for Engineers, which has a permanent Golem pet to replace the toolbelt, might be fun. You'd build a pet out of whichever utilities you use and it'll do its thing; you can command it to use Utility toolbelt skills. Whichever elite skill you take builds the 'base' of the golem; Elixir gives you a melee buffing golem, Supply Drop gives you a midrange golem with guns and flamethrowers, Mortar Kit gives you an artillery golem. Maybe you could have a GMaster trait that lets you hop into the mech and control it personally, like Taimi does, and you play like Dva.