Ranged weapon for Daredevil

Game of Bones.8975

Bounding into an Infiltrator's Arrow is fun, even rolling in place for a quick blind, gotta work on that ground game. Shortbow feels like a ranged staff, it's really fluid with DD especially and makes floating around in any mode feel natural. Bring everything though and use it all.

Really depends on what you want.

Single Target Ranged DPS? P/P is pretty effective, though tbh if you really want that might as well just swap to Deadeye.

Mob tagging? You can't beat SB for this. I heard many a nay sayer going on about this during Halloween, but for running the maze the only thing that could keep up with Shortbow D/D was GS Mirage...while both of us laughed at those who thought FT Engineer was still good.

In open world I've never felt the need for ranged DPS while on Staff D/D, but if that is what you need, just keep a pair of zerk Pistols in your bag.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Eventually, you'll get enough money to buy both weapons. Just do that and switch between what you need.

I've got ascended across the board so equipment isn't the issue. It's using the knowledge of current DD players on which equipment setup they like and why.

I like the SB for multiple damage and spreading poison but I also think the P/P just looks cool and does a ton of damage to a single target.I played with both in my lineup but felt I didn't do as well. You still need a melee weapon, hence the staff of the DD or why I liked the D/P combo so much.

Shortbow if you want mobility, pistols if you want ranged single-target dps. Deadeye is far superior when it comes to ranged dps but it loses in melee-cleave while staff DD has excellent cleave but p/p is quite weak. Having to dodge at 4ish second intervals to maintain Bounding Dodger-bonus while Unloading makes it a very fun Matrix-like playstyle, though.

P/P + SB daredevil is overpowered in pvp and esp. in wvw. It has no counters, it can kill everything and the only mechanic you have to pay attention to is reflects. Arguably the easiest build in the game...

P/P + staff daredevil is 100% viable in pve. You can do your pistol spamming all day and if you like to switch to aoe, then staff gives you the option.

@KrHome.1920 said:P/P + SB daredevil is overpowered in pvp and esp. in wvw. It has no counters, it can kill everything and the only mechanic you have to pay attention to is reflects. Arguably the easiest build in the game...

P/P + staff daredevil is 100% viable in pve. You can do your pistol spamming all day and if you like to switch to aoe, then staff gives you the option.

Lol only a necro player would think p/p DD is OP anywhere lmao.There's a reason it has never been meta or used often for that mater in any pvp mode- wvw or pvp. P/P is only somewhat viable against low skilled players or if it gets a lucky unload off on a unaware player with slow reaction times in a +1 scenario lol.P/p is viable in pve cuz....... everything is.

P/p op in pvp omg imagine lmaoI can't even.

@Game of Bones.8975 said:DD doesn't have a good selection for ranged weapons (pistol and short bow).I'm comfortable with each, but leaning toward short bow for versatility.

Mostly for free-range, non-GMO environmentally friendly PvE. Or some kitten like that.

Any suggestions for or against either one?

P/P to quickly stack might w/o boon support. Also synergizes with Bound the best. If you need to skip ads or terrain cheat, just swap for shortbow for the time being. If there's a large mob, then Cluster Bomb spam will do the trick better, though.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@KrHome.1920 said:P/P + SB daredevil is overpowered in pvp and esp. in wvw. It has no counters, it can kill everything and the only mechanic you have to pay attention to is reflects. Arguably the easiest build in the game...

Lol only a necro player would think p/p DD is OP anywhere lmao.There's a reason it has never been meta or used often for that mater in any pvp mode- wvw or pvp. P/P is only somewhat viable against low skilled players or if it gets a lucky unload off on a unaware player with slow reaction times in a +1 scenario lol.P/p is viable in pve cuz....... everything is.

P/p op in pvp omg imagine lmaoI can't even.Do you suck at teef?

On marauder P/P DA Tr DrD with agility signet, shadowstep, block or roll for ini, dagger storm I kill everything you throw in the match while you won't get me below 50% hp one single time. If I feel like it I just switch to SB, decap sth. and come back later to finish you off.

The biggest fun is wrecking holos as they are not used to get facerolled by a teef.

The patch that updated PP3 to grant ini on a successful channel did break this build. It never runs out of initiative if you play it smart. No one can sustain that unload spam forever and the build has tons of offensive and defensive mobility.

@KrHome.1920 said:

P/p op in pvp omg imagine lmaoI can't even.Do you suck at teef?

On marauder P/P DA Tr DrD with agility signet, shadowstep, block or roll for ini, dagger storm I kill everything you throw in the match while you won't get me below 50% hp one single time. If I feel like it I just switch to SB, decap sth. and come back later to finish you off.

The biggest fun is wrecking holos as they are not used to get facerolled by a teef.

The patch that updated PP3 to grant ini on a successful channel did break this build. It never runs out of initiative if you play it smart. No one can sustain that unload spam forever and the build has tons of offensive and defensive mobility.

Lol u just have zero clue regarding thief. U get wrecked on ur necro by p/p and think its OP:) and even so if ur getting wrecked by dp thieves on the regular u suck at necro.Just sayin!Oh and thanks for explaining ur pp play cuz in 4 yrs of teef play I didnt know what the skills do.

@KrHome.1920 said:P/P + SB daredevil is overpowered in pvp

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:P/p op in pvp omg imagine lmao

Alas, days gone by.

Pistol/Pistol + Shortbow actually got me to Platinum several seasons back. I played Core, though, no Daredevil. And I played it the same way I played my old Dagger/Pistol Thief. It allowed me to focus more on map control and less on actual combat... and it also kept me out of the AoE deathtrap that is melee. Not to mention that it hit harder than my normal Dagger build ever did (having a ranged weapon out-damage a melee weapon is a design I do not agree with).

Unfortunately, Anet hammered that build into the ground at the end of the season... and didn't transfer any of the lethality to Dagger or Sword. So sad :'(