Best Core Class Rank

Khalisto.5780

@kin korn karn.9023 said:I think a lot of people are overrating core thief in the current meta.

in the current meta? yes.but in the metta that would ensure after only core is viable?tell me laddie, WHO can come even close to tifs mobility?In a world where we would core guard/engi and core warriors.core mes so no more jaunts/sword ambushes.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:I lost it when you said mesmer can burst reaper from 100% Shroud to 20% hp ;pI get it, core mes burst is strong as one hell, but dont just take things out of your kitten, that would have to be 40k dmg burst, even with perfect setup, and 100% crits thats NOT happening.

I've been on the receiving and delivering end of that burst. It's the only Mesmer build I've ever actually liked. It's probably the highest damage burst in the game, higher than FA Weaver, Power Shiro Herald or Sic Em Ranger variants for sure, though it takes longer to set up properly. And like I said, it has barely any utility outside of Stealth and CC. 40k honestly doesn't seem that far off. Phantasmal Berserker is half of that on its own if you score a good hit.

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:People here sleeping on / lowballing core guard.

Core Guard is good, it's just not that good. 10-15k burst is decent with higher sustain than most builds in the same role. It's just nowhere near what it used to be, which always a huge bummer for me personally. Nowadays if I want to perform that role, I'll play Herald because it doesn't disappoint me.Generally I am unhappy with the state of Guardian currently.

@Yannir.4132 ah so you mean one of those unrealistic combos like.gs4-> gs5->mantra->gs2->blink into melee->gs3->f1->sword2->mantra+f2.then yes if you get hit by a monster like that you would take about 30k dmg.But with the usual f3->gs2+mantra->gs3+f1, that wont happen EVER.15-20k is more likely, i have spend good while whacking heavy golem, its ABOOOut killing it if crits land.

Revenant has been overshadowed by the ease of use Herald has to players that are new or that doesn't want to overcomplicate things, which in term killed any potential builds because people aren't familiar with it's design that differs so much more than everything else in the game.

That being said Revenant has the most versatile arsenal and definitely stands among top tier if it came down to core fights.

Power, Condition and Support are definitely one of the strongest with a high skill ceiling requirement that nobody seems to bother learning. From the get go Anet had to make Revenant strong because of it's uniform limitation which in term is also easier to balance compared the rest, which I love very much.

@"Asuran.5469" said:Tier 1 core = warrior, guardian, ranger, necroTier 2 core =mesmer, revTier 3 core = engi, ele, thief

Necro probably the best. Quite strong currently. Tankiest thing in the game with good damage.

Core necro is good, but "tankiest thing in the game" made me laugh.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@"ZDragon.3046" said:
Guardian
is always going to be the best pick here because guardian is the most balanced in my opinion of all the core classes.Its got damage both in power and condi tons of utility for support and selfish use, its weapon skills offer things like pulls which can be helpful in fractals and etc overall its just the best core profession you can play. It can support, heal, boon etc its just full of different play styles and this is how every core profession should be. Its literally the perfect core profession. I would always recommend guardian to someone who wants the most range of play in a single core profession thats also very effective and not overly difficult to learn.

Close seconds are
Warrior and Ranger
these two classes are very strong right now but dont top guardian in my opinion.
Warrior
has a fewer play styles mostly support and power options but lacks in other spots Core condi is pretty trash so you wont be going to that like ever but you have banners and power damage and a few shouts at least.
Ranger
has more play styles than warrior with both mild support, power and condi build options but you need to know what you are doing to make the most of them. I would consider ranger above warrior if the playstyles of ranger dont bore you to death thats about the only edge imo warrior holds over ranger is that its not as dull to play.

I would slap the rest in this order with some of them not mattering
Engi
(which can be quite good almost up there with warrior and ranger if not above them however it requires you really really know what you are doing otherwise move to the bottom of the list)
Thief
(its kind of niche though but it does have a few build options and if you plan to wvw or pvp with a bit of work it can be ok)
Ele
(has a few options but requires you know what you are doing otherwise bump below mesmer)
Mesmer
(some super minor support here, damage is so so, play styles are so so nothing exciting really to make the most of it you need to know what you are kinda doing)
Necormancer
(core is just meh has nothing to offer other than boon corruption which is super niche until you get to wvw or pvp even its damage is bad it just exist at best you get a condi hybrid play style and a support play style both of which are not super effective with the core base profession compared to others. The best benefit is that if you are super new to this game you wont die very quickly in pve with this profession compared to the others)

You do realize you posted this in the PvP forum where about 90% of this information is off-topic, irrelevant or complete misinformation?Like how you place core engi 3rd and core necro last. Core Engineer belongs dead last in PvP by a large margin and Necromancer is 3rd.

To chime in, here's my list for viability:
  1. Thief - Undisputedly 1st. Core S/D has been a meta class ever since PoF dropped, and still is very good even if it's fallen out of favor.
  2. Warrior - With the new Tactics line, Core Warrior has a prominent new build. It wasn't bad before either.
  3. Necromancer - High single target damage, high amount of corrupts. A good duelist but suffers from lack of effectiveness when outnumbered, and mobility is mediocre at best.
  4. Goes between Ranger and Guardian. Radiant GS/Hammer Guardian, which I played then as well, would've been 2nd on this list a year ago but it's been knocked down a peg deservedly. Apparently Ranger has a decent pewpew build but can't really say how good it is as I have barely noticed any Core Rangers in my games and I really don't enjoy playing Ranger after Druid was gutted.
  5. Mesmer - Has enough damage to burst a Reaper from 100% Shroud to 20% health. That's pretty much all it can do though, rest of the time it's just hiding in stealth. A decent roamer.
  6. Elementalist - Not much I can say for certain here other than I don't see too many core eles in games. The ones I have seen are running DPS Staff builds which can deal good damage if you let them freecast. Though if you don't, they are extremely squishy.
  7. Engineer - I see even less of these around. There's supposedly a Grenadier build which is decent but I don't see that working out if you're not an engi main with 7 years of experience under your belt.

I lost it when you said mesmer can burst reaper from 100% Shroud to 20% hp ;pI get it, core mes burst is strong as one hell, but dont just take things out of your kitten, that would have to be 40k dmg burst, even with perfect setup, and 100% crits thats NOT happening.People look at this in the wrong light, they try to look at what is the best currently and thats plain wrong, Core specs are slower for the most part.Specs like Ranger and Thief would rule.1 Thief and thief only number 1, due to unmatched mobility.2 Core war and ranger, ranger would be hard to match, how does core necro, or core guard even come close to ranger?3 mesmer, guard.

the rest Iv no clue about ;lpseen some core engi farting 20k burns in 0,2s. could be good mb?

How about bursting core from 100% shroud to 0?

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@"ZDragon.3046" said:
Guardian
is always going to be the best pick here because guardian is the most balanced in my opinion of all the core classes.Its got damage both in power and condi tons of utility for support and selfish use, its weapon skills offer things like pulls which can be helpful in fractals and etc overall its just the best core profession you can play. It can support, heal, boon etc its just full of different play styles and this is how every core profession should be. Its literally the perfect core profession. I would always recommend guardian to someone who wants the most range of play in a single core profession thats also very effective and not overly difficult to learn.

Close seconds are
Warrior and Ranger
these two classes are very strong right now but dont top guardian in my opinion.
Warrior
has a fewer play styles mostly support and power options but lacks in other spots Core condi is pretty trash so you wont be going to that like ever but you have banners and power damage and a few shouts at least.
Ranger
has more play styles than warrior with both mild support, power and condi build options but you need to know what you are doing to make the most of them. I would consider ranger above warrior if the playstyles of ranger dont bore you to death thats about the only edge imo warrior holds over ranger is that its not as dull to play.

Engi
(which can be quite good almost up there with warrior and ranger if not above them however it requires you really really know what you are doing otherwise move to the bottom of the list)
Thief
(its kind of niche though but it does have a few build options and if you plan to wvw or pvp with a bit of work it can be ok)
Ele
(has a few options but requires you know what you are doing otherwise bump below mesmer)
Mesmer
(some super minor support here, damage is so so, play styles are so so nothing exciting really to make the most of it you need to know what you are kinda doing)
Necormancer
(core is just meh has nothing to offer other than boon corruption which is super niche until you get to wvw or pvp even its damage is bad it just exist at best you get a condi hybrid play style and a support play style both of which are not super effective with the core base profession compared to others. The best benefit is that if you are super new to this game you wont die very quickly in pve with this profession compared to the others)

You do realize you posted this in the PvP forum where about 90% of this information is off-topic, irrelevant or complete misinformation?Like how you place core engi 3rd and core necro last. Core Engineer belongs dead last in PvP by a large margin and Necromancer is 3rd.

1. Thief - Undisputedly 1st. Core S/D has been a meta class ever since PoF dropped, and still is very good even if it's fallen out of favor.
  2. Warrior - With the new Tactics line, Core Warrior has a prominent new build. It wasn't bad before either.
  3. Necromancer - High single target damage, high amount of corrupts. A good duelist but suffers from lack of effectiveness when outnumbered, and mobility is mediocre at best.
  4. Goes between Ranger and Guardian. Radiant GS/Hammer Guardian, which I played then as well, would've been 2nd on this list a year ago but it's been knocked down a peg deservedly. Apparently Ranger has a decent pewpew build but can't really say how good it is as I have barely noticed any Core Rangers in my games and I really don't enjoy playing Ranger after Druid was gutted.
  5. Mesmer - Has enough damage to burst a Reaper from 100% Shroud to 20% health. That's pretty much all it can do though, rest of the time it's just hiding in stealth. A decent roamer.
  6. Elementalist - Not much I can say for certain here other than I don't see too many core eles in games. The ones I have seen are running DPS Staff builds which can deal good damage if you let them freecast. Though if you don't, they are extremely squishy.
  7. Engineer - I see even less of these around. There's supposedly a Grenadier build which is decent but I don't see that working out if you're not an engi main with 7 years of experience under your belt.

I lost it when you said mesmer can burst reaper from 100% Shroud to 20% hp ;pI get it, core mes burst is strong as one hell, but dont just take things out of your kitten, that would have to be 40k dmg burst, even with perfect setup, and 100% crits thats NOT happening.People look at this in the wrong light, they try to look at what is the best currently and thats plain wrong, Core specs are slower for the most part.Specs like Ranger and Thief would rule.1 Thief and thief only number 1, due to unmatched mobility.2 Core war and ranger, ranger would be hard to match, how does core necro, or core guard even come close to ranger?3 mesmer, guard.

the rest Iv no clue about ;lpseen some core engi farting 20k burns in 0,2s. could be good mb?

timestamp, nobody gonna watch 10min to figure out what you mean

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@kin korn karn.9023 said:I think a lot of people are overrating core thief in the current meta.

in the current meta? yes.but in the metta that would ensure after only core is viable?tell me laddie, WHO can come even close to tifs mobility?In a world where we would core guard/engi and core warriors.core mes so no more jaunts/sword ambushes.Well, you and I are talking about two different things, I guess. The OP did not ask his question in a way that specified a core-only meta, so I assumed he was talking about the
actual
meta and stayed on topic.

the ones I notice in my lowly tier (platinum 1-ish) are core warrior and core Mesmer. I don't really pay enough attention but I think I've seen a number of core thieves. They seem to be able to play and contribute. I only ever play engi, but a good core warrior can be a very competitive match-up against me side node, and the Mesmers are fricken brutal with that 1 shot as a plus 1. Anyway that's my take. The super experts may differ in opinion.

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@"ZDragon.3046" said:
Guardian

Close seconds are
Warrior and Ranger
Warrior
Ranger

Engi
Thief
Ele
Mesmer
Necormancer

Was up vs like 3 or 4 mesmers and came across a couple of those 1 shot burst builds.