Giving the Thief more flexibility in PvP: Utility-swap based on type

Kageseigi.2150

Normally in PvP, the ability to change utilities is locked as soon as the match begins, so a Thief is stuck with whatever it has equipped. It's the same for every profession. However, the Engineer with its Tool Belt has a significant advantage in that it gives a single utility many different uses and applications (by overwriting weapon skills when active). I see that kind of ability to adapt on the fly to be exactly what the Thief's nature is all about. So I would suggest the following change in order to give the Thief some of that flexibility also.

All of a Thief's utilities are categorized by type: Deception, Preparation, Signet, Trick, Venom, Physical, and Cantrip. The beautiful thing is that each type has exactly 4 normal utilities, and not a single type has more than one heal or elite utility.

So the change is this: instead of locking a Thief's utility slot to a specific utility when in a match (whatever specific utility is equipped), I would propose locking the Thief's utility slot to a specific utility TYPE. Since utility types have no more than a single heal or elite, those slots would not be affected by this change. Only normal utility slots would be. For example...

A Thief running with the following normal utilities:

1. Roll for Initiative (TRICK)
  2. Signet of Agility (SIGNET)
  3. Shadowstep (DECEPTION)

This Thief would now be able to change slot 1 to any other Trick (Caltrops, Haste, or Scorpion Wire), slot 2 to any other Signet (Assassin's, Infiltrator's, or Shadows), and slot 3 to any other Deception (Blinding Powder, Shadow Refuge, or Smoke Screen) when not in combat.

A Thief running a pure Signet build:

1. Signet of Agility (SIGNET)
  2. Signet of Shadows (SIGNET)
  3. Assassin's Signet (SIGNET)

This Thief would be able to trade out any one of the above signets for the 4th (Infiltrator's Signet), but would still be stuck to an all Signets build.

Note that utilities still could not be duplicates. If a specific utility is being used in one slot, it could not be selected for another slot also (if it was chosen for another slot, it would simply trade slots). So no double Assassin's Signet for 1k+ Power... there could only be one Assassin's Signet at any given time.

Also note if a utility is used, and goes on cooldown, it cannot be swapped out until the cooldown is complete. Nor can a utility be swapped if the Thief is stunned.

If this change were implemented, I can see a lot more use for niche/weak utilities. The Thief wouldn't be so locked in to a specific role or fighting-style because it can adapt. If a Thief plans to go into a match as a glass-cannon with Assassin's Signet, but finds itself being condi-bombed by an unexpected enemy build, it can switch out its lethal utility for the condi-cleanse of Signet of Agility in between fights. While it can always switch back to Assassin's later, it will not be able to do so while in combat or if the utility is on cooldown. In essence, this locks the Thief's style on a combat-by-combat basis instead of on a match-by-match basis.

Again, it's not about making the Thief stronger. It's all about flexibility and adaptability... things the Thief needs more than anyone else. Build for general strategies with traits, weapons, and utility types, but adjust moment to moment with the specific utilities. If you expect you need condition cleanses, take Trickster and Roll for Initiative for the stun break, but if you're getting more conditions than stuns, switch it out for Scorpion Wire to clear those condis faster. If you need mobility, take Shadow Portal, but if you need to secure a point, switch it to Seal Area. Admit it, you always have Shadowstep on your bar, but aren't there moments you wish you had Shadow Refuge or Smoke Screen?

Oh my, I guess I should have waited a few days to post this.

The upcoming Elementalist/Engineer Out of Combat weapon-swap functionality may actually set some precedence for this concept. Very interesting.

Perhaps a good name for it would be the Thief's "Bag of Tricks" :)

P.S. I hope all you Americans out there (and others who opted in) had a great Thanksgiving! Finally, I can justify Christmas music/decorations! :p

@Fueki.4753 said:IF anet takes away Shortbow, weapon switching and Stealth, I wouldn't mind this too much.

Taking away shortbow and weapon switching is redundant. The only reason shortbow is a problem is because you can weaponswap. And if Thief were to lose stealth, they would need to get a different kind of survivability in exchange (which I wouldnt mind, stealth is pretty trash for survivability).