Gauging skill in PVP

Heathcliff.8573

I'm a new player and just started pvp'ing (only spvp) a few weeks ago. I'm enjoying PVP so far (I know, how is it possible right?). After getting placed in Gold 3 (probably carried), I'm really confused on how whether I'm getting better or not? From what I read on some guides, the stats at the end of the game are not necessarily helpful in whether you did good or bad that game? I understand I have a ton of improvement to do as there are certain skills I don't even know yet. I mainly play boon corruption core necro and spellbreaker sometimes.

For the pvp veterans out there, what are general guidelines you use to judge whether or not you contributed a lot to the ranked match?

best guideline generally is the amount of times you died and fights won (the latter not displayed)if you die more than 2 times in a game, most likely you're the reason you lost - if you won anyhow you got carried

if you can't win any (equal) fight, like you lose all 1v1s - best teamplayer you can be is to not die and wait for your dps (thief/rev) to come and then win the fight.

so all improvements you make should be centered around not dying - from there on it's winning fights with the help of your teammates or not

@Heathcliff.8573 said:I'm a new player and just started pvp'ing (only spvp) a few weeks ago. I'm enjoying PVP so far (I know, how is it possible right?). After getting placed in Gold 3 (probably carried), I'm really confused on how whether I'm getting better or not? From what I read on some guides, the stats at the end of the game are not necessarily helpful in whether you did good or bad that game? I understand I have a ton of improvement to do as there are certain skills I don't even know yet. I mainly play boon corruption core necro and spellbreaker sometimes.

For the pvp veterans out there, what are general guidelines you use to judge whether or not you contributed a lot to the ranked match?

1. Win all of your 1v1s
  2. Survive 1vXs for an extended period of time where one or more enemies give up and leave because they can't kill you
  3. Win every single team fight you're in
  4. Don't die more than once or twice every match
  5. Kill between 12-30 people every match
  6. Rotate intelligently so your team wipes less

Watch high-rated PvP streamers and try to learn from them. That's the most direct way to learn asides from actually playing the game imo. You'll also pick up a lot of new tricks/techniques you wouldn't have thought of on your own.

While yes, top stats don't necessarily mean anything, the end-of-game-screen can have some good information for Damage Dealers if they want to evaluate their performance.

There is a column/row on that screen that says " % of Team", which can offer some insight on how well you did in comparison to your teammates.So if you are a DPS player and want to know how well you did, the "Damage done / % of team" cell usually is a good reference point.

If you play in a 5 DPS team, a ~20% split of "Damage done" per player suggests that everybody did about the same amount of "work"....regardless if only 1 player got top damage (which tbh might as well be reached by being 1% higher than any other member of the team).If you play with 1 support in your team, the split between the remaining 4 DPS players should be a tad higher.

Obviously performance can't be quantified by that stat alone, since Duelers for instance obviously will have lower Team % Dmg than a teamfighting AOE-DPS simply because cleave-dmg inflates that percentage by a lot. So other indicators might be more suitable for different roles....like K/D ratio for Duelers.

Matchmaking is pretty random with such a low population. Skill in pvp comes down to being able to fight, survive, and rotate. You should be asking yourself questions like: In fights are you dying right away when focused? Are you able to kite and disengage to keep yourself alive? As necro are you corrupting important boons like stab, prot, quickness? As spellbreaker are you winning duels and hitting most of your cc and burst skills? Do you watch the mini map and play your role & position? Do you enter every fight you see or do you think about whether or not you are needed somewhere else?

Its not always clear when you are playing well in conquest since kills/deaths isnt always the most important stat. You could get 20 kills and 0 deaths and still lose the game if your team isnt playing the points. There are a lot of factors you need to consider that become more clear with practice.

@SeikeNz.3526 said:new player on gold 3 matchmaking is working they said

It's placement. With only 10 matches played it isn't going to be perfect. But if you get placed well outside of your skill level, you'll quickly climb/fall to a more appropriate rank. I got placed low gold 1 in my first season, but finished in platinum. I think it works, but it takes a lot more than 10 games to get it right.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@"Heathcliff.8573" said:I'm a new player and just started pvp'ing (only spvp) a few weeks ago. I'm enjoying PVP so far (I know, how is it possible right?). After getting placed in Gold 3 (probably carried), I'm really confused on how whether I'm getting better or not? From what I read on some guides, the stats at the end of the game are not necessarily helpful in whether you did good or bad that game? I understand I have a ton of improvement to do as there are certain skills I don't even know yet. I mainly play boon corruption core necro and spellbreaker sometimes.

1. Win all of your 1v1s
  2. Survive 1vXs for an extended period of time where one or more enemies give up and leave because they can't kill you

Watch high-rated PvP streamers and try to learn from them. That's the most direct way to learn asides from actually playing the game imo. You'll also pick up a lot of new tricks/techniques you wouldn't have thought of on your own.

If a "skilled" player is dying no more than twice per match, getting 12-30 kills, and winning every team fight and 1v1, then it seems to me that there must be a number of "unskilled" players on the opposing team!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"Heathcliff.8573" said:I'm a new player and just started pvp'ing (only spvp) a few weeks ago. I'm enjoying PVP so far (I know, how is it possible right?). After getting placed in Gold 3 (probably carried), I'm really confused on how whether I'm getting better or not? From what I read on some guides, the stats at the end of the game are not necessarily helpful in whether you did good or bad that game? I understand I have a ton of improvement to do as there are certain skills I don't even know yet. I mainly play boon corruption core necro and spellbreaker sometimes.

1. Win all of your 1v1s

If a "skilled" player is dying no more than twice per match, getting 12-30 kills, and winning every team fight and 1v1, then it seems to me that there must be a number of "unskilled" players on the opposing team!

That's not always the case. Even in AT finals Team USA and co. can snowball against very good players consistently.

Players (like Helio for example) can also win almost all of his 1v1s and clean up most team fights as well.

@Koen.1327 said:best guideline generally is the amount of times you died and fights won (the latter not displayed)if you die more than 2 times in a game, most likely you're the reason you lost - if you won anyhow you got carried

if you can't win any (equal) fight, like you lose all 1v1s - best teamplayer you can be is to not die and wait for your dps (thief/rev) to come and then win the fight.

so all improvements you make should be centered around not dying - from there on it's winning fights with the help of your teammates or not

It's not always accurate though. If you get hardfocused by 3 people but live long enough for your team to get kills elsewhere meanwhile you might still do a good play. Let's say you get 1v3d in mid, hold that for 30s before you go down and meanwhile your team kills both of the other guys and 2 caps two sidenodes. On the other hand you can die 0 times and still be completely useless, for example by doing an endless bunker duel on the enemy node.

There isn't really a perfect measure for performance, but as a teamfighter generally if you can turn the teamfights for your team and get many kills and as a sidenoder if you win your duels (in a reasonable amount of time) and survive outnumbered you are doing a good job. For roaming it's also the number of fights you turn for your team, plus decaps.

And yeah, in most situations the number of deaths is also an indicator.

I honestly think the best thing for a new player is to look at mechanics then basic rotations. If all your setting, keybinds, builds and knowledge of how to use your skills also if understand pvp rotations the same as a top tier player then you are doing good for a beginner. You can be of that skill level but say have no knowledge of other classes as said match ups, in which case you may lose all your 1v1s due to sheer dumb luck but if you have the knowledge that I mentioned you will eventually learn those things even as the meta changes and you should be a legit top tier player. As far as your class choice for boon corrupt necro while 1v1ing can be important I think understanding more basic things like kiting is x10 as important, with that knowledge I could end of being 1v3 in a team fight and still survive or even if your team wipes you can get out alive and as someone who solo qd to legend on necro trust me with the amount of aoe spam and damage you can do just while kiting you will x10 more effective than your average necro. For warrior yeah you will want to know 1v1 match ups really well but trust me you can be a top tier 1v1er and still be useless if you don’t try and kite when when plus 1d or 1vx. I’ve actually seen plenty of top tier 1v1ers who have never climbed because they are to arrogant to team fight effectively or kite to survive even if they can 1v1 Helio all game

ranked is a complete joke, it's not uncommon to waste 15 min of your life having a group of gold and silvers vs plats, and then times that by x number of matches

at times the RNG can be so bad that you may need like 10 matches to get a win because Anet does not proactively ban the botters, and punish match manipulators

at times you may be lucky to have your entire team get destroyed by a legendary, feel proud