VR Support

Hey guys, I was wondering if there is at all any possibility of VR support being implemented in the game. I remember we had the option for stereoscopic 3d, but I heard that has been taken away. I would love to explore the world in Virtual Reality and see familiar places in a completely new and different way, I think that would be so cool!

Not natively, the engine needs to support it.

But you can use third party software to emulate VR, I tried this software called TriDef (now discontinued) with my Galaxy VR Headset with my Galaxy S7 Edge phone, the VR effect not too shabby

the problem I had back then with VR was the image quality wasnt so great, the maximum resolution was only 800x600, not to mention the screen door effect was really annoying, and the cost for a good VR headset obviously...

The idea of a VR world is enticing, but headset technology simply isn't enough for it to be viable... at least, not for games like this. It all comes down to movement. Games that involve a lot of spatial movement, especially fast movement, causes your visual senses to conflict with your body's other senses telling it you are not moving. This dissonance can lead to dizziness, headaches, mild to severe vertigo, and intense nausea up to and including vomiting. Some games get around it by putting the player inside a vehicle, tricking the brain into compensating for dissonance. Some subtly slow or limit movements to let your brain process the action. Some games get around it by teleporting, creating the effects of movement without actually moving. Basically, a game has to be designed from the ground up to work as a VR game. Guild Wars, as pretty as it is, was not.

Still, nothing says someone couldn't throw together a little VR side project, if they were so inclined. Maybe an airship or boat tour of Tyria; maybe some kind of rail shooter...

@"Trise.2865" said:The idea of a VR world is enticing, but headset technology simply isn't enough for it to be viable... at least, not for games like this. It all comes down to movement. Games that involve a lot of spatial movement, especially fast movement, causes your visual senses to conflict with your body's other senses telling it you are not moving. This dissonance can lead to dizziness, headaches, mild to severe vertigo, and intense nausea up to and including vomiting. Some games get around it by putting the player inside a vehicle, tricking the brain into compensating for dissonance. Some subtly slow or limit movements to let your brain process the action. Some games get around it by teleporting, creating the effects of movement without actually moving. Basically, a game has to be designed from the ground up to work as a VR game. Guild Wars, as pretty as it is, was not.

Still, nothing says someone couldn't throw together a little VR side project, if they were so inclined. Maybe an airship or boat tour of Tyria; maybe some kind of rail shooter...This has nothing to do with "headset technology", unless you imply that VR headsets should have needles to inject you with some kind of drug to counteract nausea. The technology for VR is already here and viable, resolution, motion, tracking etc. But you are right in the game really needs to be designed for it and GW2 as a 3rd person relativly fast paced MMO will never be. And its definetly not "pretty" in a VR perspective, way to low enviroment detail and texturing.