Should NPCs be buffed?

witcher.3197

I'm not asking for Anet to add raidbosses or increase PvE drastically in WvW.

It's just that sentries, camps, lords etc have barely been touched since the release of the game and thus couldn't keep up with powercreep whatsoever. On deadeye for example I can solo a sentry in roughly 3 seconds.

For comparison Anet has buffed NPCs on sPvP maps such as Foefire because the guild lord (a potentially gamewinning objective) was getting soloed in a matter of seconds after all the powercreep. WvW NPCs exist for a reason, but they've become a joke.

So what do you think? Yay or nay? Why or why not?

@"witcher.3197" said:the guild lord (a potentially gamewinning objective) was getting soloed

Sentrys and Supply Camps are not game winning objectives, though they do contribute to the final score. No one is soloing Keep or Castle champions and Tower Lords take twice as long as a Supply Camp, never mind the time it takes to get in.

NPC Champions and Legendary NPC's scale based on the number of players within a certain vicinity. I don't know the specifics of how it works, but the point is that they are "self buffing".

T3 Supply Camps are pretty rough to take alone on most builds/professions. Some can do it easier than others, but all it takes is 1 player adding to the NPC's to give you some bad news.

I'd be okay with NPC's getting new skins or having a little work done to their AI and/or pathing, but I don't think they need buffs. Scaling takes care of that and any NPC's protecting something larger than a camp are time consuming to kill, as they should be.

NPCs are OK, like they are now. They should change Righteous Indignation though, because in the early days it was really dangerous to be attacked by a "structure boss" with RI. These days, some classes can just shrug off the damage idling next to a NPC with RI. Perhaps add boon strip or boon corrupt to the RI attacks?

I feel like Supply Camps NPCs are okay, these are objectives meant to be solo'ed or duo'ed by roamers.

The problem is that fort NPCs (Towers, Keeps, etc.) are incredibly weak for their assigned role. They are no threat to an attacking party and pretty much everyone ignores them, and even the lords die in about 15-30seconds to a small party.

And even the SMC Lord is incredibly weak considering its the center of WvW. Sure, it'll take a long time to take it down but its also no threat to any zerg and it essentially just exists to give the enemy more time to rally their forces and defend, and that's not how it should be, because they still fail to defend since the Lord isn't really doing anything to the enemy zerg to give the defending side an advantage.

Needing less PvE in WvW doesn't mean needing ignorable PvE. And threatening NPCs are better than ultra walls..

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

Sentrys and Supply Camps are not game winning objectives, though they do contribute to the final score. No one is soloing Keep or Castle champions

@"RedShark.9548" said:On the red border id say lors are too strong even, being stuck in a tiny circle that isnt passable, even with stability can mean death to a whole zerg.

@acidic.4356 said:

Sentrys and Supply Camps are not game winning objectives, though they do contribute to the final score. No one is soloing Keep or Castle champions

@"RedShark.9548" said:On the red border id say lors are too strong even, being stuck in a tiny circle that isnt passable, even with stability can mean death to a whole zerg.

4 minutes is a long time, not including how long it takes to get through outer and inner. If it took 4 minutes to take a Supply Camp a lot less would be flipping. Half the time if you can't take it before swords pop you're probably going to have to deal with minimum of one defender.

I suppose I should rephrase though, what I meant was that people soloing Keep lords is uncommon. It can happen, yes, but it's time consuming and unlikely to achieve uninterrupted unless it's off peak hours. Anything can be soloed with enough time, but by that logic, all NPC's should be buffed in such a way that they cannot be damaged unless a certain threshold of players is met, which I don't think anyone would want.

yes it is time consuming..that vid is also sped up.... mayb took 6-8 mins in total..i dont recall tbh.. its alot easier to solo stuff on red bl tho due to the fact half of wvw pop simply avoid it.

i dont play anymore btw, but check here most days to see if any news on alliances..or anythin else that might make wvw intresting enough to return to...... i dont have any hope anymore :(

They are fine. They spam cc and in the case of sentries they mark players. They are not meant to be the replacement of players for defending objectives. They are there to flag/delay an objective that is being attacked so NEARBY players can respond. No...they are not meant for players from garrison having enough time to defend ssc.

4 minutes is a long time, not including how long it takes to get through outer and inner. If it took 4 minutes to take a Supply Camp a lot less would be flipping. Half the time if you can't take it before swords pop you're probably going to have to deal with minimum of one defender.

I suppose I should rephrase though, what I meant was that people soloing Keep lords is uncommon. It can happen, yes, but it's time consuming and unlikely to achieve uninterrupted unless it's off peak hours. Anything can be soloed with enough time, but by that logic, all NPC's should be buffed in such a way that they cannot be damaged unless a certain threshold of players is met, which I don't think anyone would want.

Im not sure what you are trying to tell me?Replying to the wrong post?

Imo lords should just be dmg sponges to zergs, to give defenders time to actually come defend, and not help to actually wipe a zerg, like keep lorda on red borders can do.They should offer some difficulty to small groups or solo players tho. Keeps are important objectives and should only be capped by players that know what they are doing or big groups of players.

Someone mentioned powercreep and how much faster they die now, but you also have to factor in that defenders are alot faster now, with gliding and warclaw riding.

Camps are fine as they are, make them any harder and you will kill roaming even further.

@Sansar.1302 said:Remove all npcs wvw should be about fighting players not yet another pve map, if you want to keep that objective then defend it

So I should be able to hide inside Stonemist as a permastealth deadeye and when everyone's gone i just solocap the castle by standing inside the circle? That's going to make WvW better how exactly?

yes. especially keep lords. tower lords maybe only a bit. camp supervisers not. i'd say a keep lord should be at least be as strong, if not a bit stronger, than the current strike missions, and i'm not sure if that is the case. a tower lord should be able to deal with 4-5 people groups in most cases. camps are fine to be soloable.

oh, and stonemist lord could be able to deal with 15 people. that castle is meant to be something special, it fact mainly has the speciality to have its wall open like a cheese from switzerland at present though.

i'd like the general environment to be way stronger in wvw.the whole area was designed and released so long ago, and by then ascended gear for us wasn't common or didn't even exist (new/er player here) and the overall mobs should be less and more dangerous. the mists are meant to be a dangerous place, as in current Wvw the real danger are solely snipe-class glassy build roamers or marauding blobs.i'd love several elite mobs with a variety of builds and skills around the maps. that would bring more / a new kind of dynamic into the game. that to be said, this isn't a need. but don't remove them fully, that would make the maps feel too dead. (my idea would be cutting 2/3 of the weak mobs that i can kill naked solo, and pack some on there that are a challenge and threaten about 5 players )

@witcher.3197 said:

@"Sansar.1302" said:Remove all npcs wvw should be about fighting players not yet another pve map, if you want to keep that objective then defend it

So I should be able to hide inside Stonemist as a permastealth deadeye and when everyone's gone i just solocap the castle by standing inside the circle? That's going to make WvW better how exactly?solid point. this exactly is a big problem, that we even have yet. stealthers should be somehow detected lets say the first 5-10 minutes automatically after a keep flips. these places are too big to keep each corner in view. removing ALL npcs is surely the wrong way - as other stated, WvW is NOT pure pvp, and should not be made to that.

to entertain people, there could be just "events" happen on the maps too. like some elite npc invasion that randomly triggers let's say once a day and can cap stuff? that's a very spontanous idea here, but would be fun i think. make Wvw the PvPvE it could be.

@witcher.3197 said:

@Sansar.1302 said:Remove all npcs wvw should be about fighting players not yet another pve map, if you want to keep that objective then defend it

So I should be able to hide inside Stonemist as a permastealth deadeye and when everyone's gone i just solocap the castle by standing inside the circle? That's going to make WvW better how exactly?

No npc would be valid if game worked differently, the is made actually needs npc.A no npc would work if keep weren’t meaningless to the game besides ppt and ktrain farms.

no NPC is as said invalid for Wvw. would be just pvp with huge teams then. npcs do yet keep players from taking stuff - i often catched enemy paper chars who took pre-dmg from camp npcs and got easy kills from that. i don't get why we would exclude the NPCs from wvw, they are not much more than practice dummys anyways for players that know what they're doing.

@RedShark.9548 said:

@RedShark.9548 said:On the red border id say lors are too strong even, being stuck in a tiny circle that isnt passable, even with stability can mean death to a whole zerg.

Im not sure what you are trying to tell me?Replying to the wrong post?

Imo lords should just be dmg sponges to zergs, to give defenders time to actually come defend, and not help to actually wipe a zerg, like keep lorda on red borders can do.They should offer some difficulty to small groups or solo players tho. Keeps are important objectives and should only be capped by players that know what they are doing or big groups of players.

Someone mentioned powercreep and how much faster they die now, but you also have to factor in that defenders are alot faster now, with gliding and warclaw riding.

Camps are fine as they are, make them any harder and you will kill roaming even further.

I mean i agree with you lords should be sponges on a certain level. Bosses on dessert bl have their own Theme, unique keep and a lord/Boss to match those

And to be fair i like lordroom fights more there because IT can make you seize momentums more. For example airkeep isnt 'stack on the lord with 60 so those 20 cant Harm you', how open lordroom of firekeep is (but tbh they could add a bit more lava there).

IT grants something alpine or ebg barely does; different encounters. Now its basicly who hits the most accurate on placebound red circles. On airkeep Being that team and rushing to lord Will get you killed (and lord is a big factor for that).

Long story short; i wouldnt mind a tryout for different lords on alpine/ebg because they feel retarded An easy, especially since towerlord is single target damage