Light puzzle completions in Bjora Marches not counting for the meta

@GreatWarlock.2350 said:Is there any news towards fixing this? I got the 4 done, and got Luminary, but I lost the AP.

The image shows before and after daily reset my AP & progress.

• hang on, image link didn't work, give me a min :3

Since it’s part of new content there’s a good chance it will. Unfortunately it’s not critical so we’ll have to wait until December 3rd to see.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@GreatWarlock.2350 said:Is there any news towards fixing this? I got the 4 done, and got Luminary, but I lost the AP.

The image shows before and after daily reset my AP & progress.
  • hang on, image link didn't work, give me a min :3

Since it’s part of new content there’s a good chance it will. Unfortunately it’s not critical so we’ll have to wait until December 3rd to see.

Yeah. But consider this. ANet responded in this thread with an explanation about this being a daily achievement. But ever since it became clear that the AP gets reset at every daily reset (provided you've done the achievements the previous day) ANet became silent. An acknowledgement of this mistake and intention to fix this would be very much appreciated. If they can bother explaining to us it's meant as a daily achievement, they can bother explaining to us that the AP issue is not intended and will be fixed at some point.

All in all, it is weird that a game with many daily and repeatable achievements suddenly decided to put another one in without using the familiar setup for those achievements. Nothing in the achievements panel suggests this is a daily achievement. All the other ones do have that pointed out in their respective tabs. It almost makes me think that completely different people are working on this now, compared to the older achievements. It's as if this was created by someone who didn't even know there is already a system for daily/repeatable achievements in the game and has been for years.

Wasn't sure if my AP was affected so I waited a few days to see if it was.

I started the Lighting achievements with 33,405 AP. As I did each of them I checked to see if my original value changed. It did not change at all while doing the puzzles. Then I logged to a different character, and on my character select screen it said 33,409 AP, which it now also says in-game.

We'll see if it resets tomorrow but I don't think it's intended to take a while to give you credit for the AP earned.

@Keaven Freeman.6157 said:

You don't get the chest if you've already done the puzzle that day, correct. I didn't decide what to put in the chests at the end of the light puzzles, so I can't speak to why they give out what they do, but the chests were always intended to be daily reward chests.

There are a few issues here. Firstly, the evidence above of luminary being done and the individual puzzles not counted for the meta is clearly a bug [getting anet to acknowledge bugs seems to be against policy - presumably because they might feel they have to do something about it]. It is, in my opinion, also a design bug. If you have a collective achievement for having done all 4, then why include the individual ones in the meta? the collective suffices.

Secondly, there is a bug in the way the achievement points are being handled. When you repeat the puzzles [i can't swear for how it worked when you did them the first time] you do not get AP at the time, but as soon as you rezone or relog, you get the 1 AP per puzzle. I have been doing this for days before I realised the next problem. These, however, then get removed at reset. Clearly what happened was that the earning of these additional AP was not intended [at least I really hope so, having 4 puzzles continuously awarding AP until the end of time is very bad design] and so rather than fix it properly they remove the AP at reset [which is also a really bad way of handling things, and may be what is causing a problem with the initial 4 AP that people are reporting].

Finally, and this is just a design point for Keavan, having a group of 'daily reset' achievements [with or without AP] within a story achievement category is pretty unsatisfying for the way achievements are presented. Those who like to complete all achievements within any category like to be able to switch to the tab and see it complete. Having a few reset daily completely ruins this [note Desert Highlands and 'Breaking the Bank' as another example]. These really should not be achievements in the first place, but if you insist on having them then put them somewhere else, as you ended up doing for festival achievements.

All in all, poor design which in turn has lead to bugs in implementation, which anet are unlikely to acknowledge but may stealth fix one day. Open communication not really a strong point unhappily.

The only reason I've gone to the map since catching this bug has been for the strike mission. It may seem like a little problem, but the fact that Anet hasn't acknowledged the bug within this thread or on the Known Issue Tracker, and it is not mentioned on the 12/3 patch notes... is honestly really disappointing. The forum posts on the achievement bug have 2,500 views, have been up for a week and a half, and they can't bother to write a quick: "Thank you for helping us pinpoint the issue. We are working on a fix and hope to have it fixed for the next patch."

It's baffling how you all (players not Anet) don't even use your brains. If you would have checked your achievement point score by hovering over it to see the daily+monthly score and the permanent score, you would've noticed that the +1 AP you get from each Light Puzzle counted towards the daily score, as they are daily reset puzzles. This is why the complainers are 'losing' AP on reset. Because you've already reached the daily cap of 15K and you can't cheat the game to getting more ap over it.

This repeatable Light puzzle is made for those that haven't reached their 15k daily cap. So essentially , those can get up to 10+4 AP daily. Think of it like a boost to get to your account daily 15k cap faster.

@"Sylvia.7530" said:The only reason I've gone to the map since catching this bug has been for the strike mission. It may seem like a little problem, but the fact that Anet hasn't acknowledged the bug within this thread or on the Known Issue Tracker, and it is not mentioned on the 12/3 patch notes... is honestly really disappointing. The forum posts on the achievement bug have 2,500 views, have been up for a week and a half, and they can't bother to write a quick: "Thank you for helping us pinpoint the issue. We are working on a fix and hope to have it fixed for the next patch."

The 12/3 patch notes thread is a preview of some balance changes. It does not show everything that will be a part of that update.

@aleron.1438 said:It's baffling how you all (players not Anet) don't even use your brains. If you would have checked your achievement point score by hovering over it to see the daily+monthly score and the permanent score, you would've noticed that the +1 AP you get from each Light Puzzle counted towards the daily score, as they are daily reset puzzles. This is why the complainers are 'losing' AP on reset. Because you've already reached the daily cap of 15K and you can't cheat the game to getting more ap over it.

This repeatable Light puzzle is made for those that haven't reached their 15k daily cap. So essentially , those can get up to 10+4 AP daily. Think of it like a boost to get to your account daily 15k cap faster.

Oh they havent said anywere that these would count for daily, I thought it was an achivements that were supposed to be like old jump puzzles but were bugged.

I'm at 19/20 to getting the meta achieve for the map. However, I only have 15 showing as complete in the meta-list, so I think it did count those four towards my progress. That moves this to pretty much an annoyance rather than a progress blocker. It's been a holiday week and this isn't a game-killing bug* so I don't take their silence over the past little while as anything sinister, but I hope this gets fixed once they're back in full swing at work.

*Not game-killing but potentially serious if people can proc multiple 400 gem ap chests by using the 4 AP ping-pong as mentioned in a previous post. Darksome, were you able to test that yet?

@"aleron.1438" said:It's baffling how you all (players not Anet) don't even use your brains. If you would have checked your achievement point score by hovering over it to see the daily+monthly score and the permanent score, you would've noticed that the +1 AP you get from each Light Puzzle counted towards the daily score, as they are daily reset puzzles. This is why the complainers are 'losing' AP on reset. Because you've already reached the daily cap of 15K and you can't cheat the game to getting more ap over it.

Considering it's not made clear in the hero panel that it counts towards the daily AP cap, I wouldn't say it's unreasonable for people not to have figured it out. I think it's unreasonable to label them as trying to "cheat the game", however.

There's a "daily" achievements section for daily AP, and the light puzzles were not put there. We should not have to come to the forums to find out that it's not a bug, it's just a daily achievement, when there is a tab labeled dailies that's been in the game for years.

@Keaven Freeman.6157 said:

@Keaven Freeman.6157 said:There are two achievements associated with those: the individual, "Light the [area]" achievement, and the collective, "Luminary" achievement. The individual ones are daily achievements and reset at the same time as other dailies. The "Luminary" achievement does
not
reset and tracks if you have
ever
done the individual achievements.

I did all 4 Lighting the X achievements, got the Luminary title, but the Asgeir one, Lighting the Legacy is now grayed out like I didnt do itProof:

As I said, the individual "Lighting the [area]" achievements reset at the daily-reset time. Therefore, they will display in the achievement panel as not done. However, this
does not
reset the meta tracking of
ever
having completed these achievements. The "Luminary" achievement (which tracks the completion of all the light puzzles), and the "Whisper in the Dark Mastery" achievement (which tracks the completion of all episode achievements) do not clear your record of ever having competed these "Lighting the [area]" achievements because they mark off that you've done it at least once.

Why is there even ap added to the 4 achievements that reset. This makes no sense.

@aleron.1438 said:It's baffling how you all (players not Anet) don't even use your brains. If you would have checked your achievement point score by hovering over it to see the daily+monthly score and the permanent score, you would've noticed that the +1 AP you get from each Light Puzzle counted towards the daily score, as they are daily reset puzzles. This is why the complainers are 'losing' AP on reset. Because you've already reached the daily cap of 15K and you can't cheat the game to getting more ap over it.

Nope, you are wrong. I havent reached my 15k daily AP cap and am having the problem of losing the 4 ap. I do those daily, and sometimes (not every time) on the very next day I lose the AP I gained from them. So there is a problem there.

Rubbish, I lost the 4 AP's and am on 12,232 for daily AP's so not close to the 15,000 limit.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Probably a very low priority. If it’s not fixed by the 17th with the Wintersday update then chances are it’ll never get fixed and we’ll have to live with it.

It may be a low priority, but we're still talking about four achievements counting towards the completion of the living story journal meta.They'll have to find a fix or a solution, because right it's not only broken, but confusionary to the people that are not visiting the forums.

What is really baffling is how some people are prepared to call out others somewhat abusively without actually checking their own facts. But I guess by now you have realised you were being a dick so there it is.

For all others, what is happening is this [i have 4 accounts in different stages and have tested this out]:1: The four individual puzzles are shown in the meta, when you complete them they show as complete, but then at the end of the day they reset [both as achievements and as part of the meta]. HOWEVER, the total count for the meta is not reduced: they are still being counted for the total: you have not lost progress on the meta, so don't worry about that. This is essentially only a display bug.2: When you complete a puzzle, you are given a daily achievement point. If you do not have 15k combined daily and monthly then you will receive this point. Also, you will not lose it at day end. If you do have 15k, then you will not get this point because it is capped and as Keavan said, this is intended to be a daily, however badly it is placed and communicated.3: BUT, when you subsequently relog, remap or change character, you will ALSO get 1 AP in your permanent count. This is regardless of whether you are eligible for the daily or not. This is a bug and source of much of the confusion. This 1 AP should not have been given, and will be reversed at daily reset, presumably because they have some sort of daily recon going [yes, it would be really helpful if they would just tell us what's happening, but they are really lousy at communication - hangover from Gayle I believe, but that's only my experience].4: Multiply all the above by the number of puzzles you do [1-4].

In short, you are not losing anything. The meta still counts them, the AP you lose at daily reset are only AP you should not have got in the first place.But yes, each of these issues are bugs, but unlikely to be addressed real soon because there is no actual loss. And yes, the myriad design issues behind this imply rushed, not carefully thought through, and not boding well for the future.