Bloodstone Crystals/Blood Rubies

Celeste.9135

It's always bothered me that while every single other Living World currency that can be gathered has it's own distinct map icon, the same is not true for the Blood Rubies in Bloodstone Fen. An inconsistency that is also inconvenient, as without a unique icon to differentiate the material from the Mithril nodes which share the same one, you have to guess, mouse over the map icon or hold alt/show usable items option (which turns into a lot of screen clutter). It's a tedious material to gather when you don't want to waste your time on Mithril. For me, this anomaly has been highlighted by the change to the LW dailies as I am going to these maps more often now. I feel like it would be a nice QOL improvement to add an icon for this map currency and would also serve to keep the material consistently in line with others of its category for a more coherent system overall.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Petrified Wood in Ember Bay has the generic wood icon too. I would love unique icons for these!

Ah I forgot about that currency, haven't farmed much of Ember Bay yes that would also be nice. As the other currencies use the same icon as they do in the inventory system I feel like it would be a good idea to take those for the map art of these two materials.

@Hashberry.4510 said:The rubies were designed to be a bit misleading. Its similar in how some of the mobs look just like a node from a distance. The game is filled with misdirection, sometimes that is frustrating, but its clear the devs consider visual cues to be part of the challenge.

Is there a dev quote to support this statement? I've never once mistaken an enemy for a Bloodstone node since they move about and are much larger etc. Also you can tell you are going to a node cuz it's on the map. There is zero challenge here imo outside telling which one is Mithril and Bloodstone when you don't have vision but are in map range. My assumption is as these were the first 2 of their kind the unique map art idea hadn't been settled on yet until the Bitterfrost team made the Berries. It would be nice to retroactively apply these to Blood Rubies and Petrified Wood (which your theory doesn't explain either).

Ehh, my theory (if you have to call it that) is that the devs use the environment and terrain to provide part of the challenge (there is a whole JP that alters movement to confuse you). I too found the mini map icons annoying, and at first would just look for nodes. The little mobs from a distance look just like a blood stone node. Sure felt like they did that on purpose. They may well have abandoned that approach on later maps. Shrug.

@Hashberry.4510 said:Ehh, my theory (if you have to call it that) is that the devs use the environment and terrain to provide part of the challenge (there is a whole JP that alters movement to confuse you). I too found the mini map icons annoying, and at first would just look for nodes. The little mobs from a distance look just like a blood stone node. Sure felt like they did that on purpose. They may well have abandoned that approach on later maps. Shrug.

Since this discussion is about the Living World currencies I took your comment in regards to what is relevant here, the Bloodstone and Petrified Wood specifically and their map icons. If Blood Rubies lacked an icon in order to facilitate confusion why does Petrified Wood not have enemies that look like it? Also if anet wanted to effectively hide mobs as nodes, a mimic system using similar tech to the Chak Lurkers would have been more effective while also having a fake map icon for these Bloodstone mimics.

My take on it is episode 1 and 2 were made with no unique icons, then someone decided to make one for episode 3 with Winterberries and they thought it was a good enough idea to keep for every episode thereafter.