New player. Is it worth it?

Despite power issues due to the PoF expac, and various "interesting" decisions by the people upstairs, WvW remains quite good. I would say it is still worth it, but make sure your swearing filter is on and be ready for people who are ... passionate!Also, just because numbers look big on the UI, it doesn't mean they are important - WvW has been tweaked over time but there isn't much effort put into maintaining it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP is specifically asking about the future of this game. And the future is bad, it's the main reason alot of my guildies left. Anet was working with a skeleton crew for a while and they are losing key members. They had to cut expenses this year and restructure. Earnings are dropping and there is no new expansion on the horizon.

We are getting 2 hours of new content every 2 /3 months, boring content that requires no gameplay.

If you wanna experience the old stuff go for it. Dont get to invested though.

@"Orsson.3208" said:Hello everyone!My name is Orsson and I started playing guild wars 2 a week ago. I'm an avid MMORPG player and after playing World of Warcraft for a quite handful amount of my life I decided to quit, because the game has lost its charm for me, and find another game to spend my time in. I've always been hearing about GW2 and I had hidden interest in this title, but my commitment to wow wouldn't let me try it out, so after quitting I've headed straight into this game.My first impressions were fantastic. Almost every mechanic of this game appeals to me one way or another, so I decided that I really want to put a huge amount of time in it, but before I proceed I wanted to ask one question, is it worth starting playing and going full ham on GW2 now, as a "WoW refugee"? How is the state of the game? What is the future of this game? Would you do it in 2019?I know that this kind of topic may seem odd, but I really want to know, because I would like to avoid a situation where I put hundred of hours and bags of money into the game and see it fall after couple of months. I've already purchased both expansions during the 2 for 1 sale having some money to spare, but I've heard that I have to put a little more for Living World stories and for example quality of life items from the gemstore.Thanks for Your answers in advance!Cheers!

As a new player, you have a ton of content out there and waiting for you and depending on your play time, potentially years of content. I would play thru core to learn your base classes and if you want the most challenge play thru HoT before PoF. The only caveat I would say is if you want to make your life a bit easier, go to PoF before HoT just to get Raptor and Springer mounts, they do make getting around HoT easier but a little less challenging. If you are into open world players versus player work on your Warclaw since it would also have some use in HoT for getting around instead of the Raptor/Springer. If you had extra gems and are missing living world episodes I think they would be worth it since they are a good bridge between the expansions and LW3 provided some good consumables that are still useful today.

I would also recommend looking out for a guild to join in case you have questions and that the game's wiki has a lot of useful information out there. As far as future, we know we have at least another year of content in the works but ANet is really bad on sharing future plans so we can't say more than that. But no I wouldn't expect the lights to be going out next year on you, but I would not try and max your account out right off the bat, upgrade based on your enjoyment and needs, if you have gems they aren't going anywhere. Good gaming!

Op, there is a boat load of stuff to do. I think GW2 is worth purchase, if you like MMOs. If raiding is your thing, GW2 has some of that, but it is not as big as other MMOs. What stands out is the combat. It has solid action based combat, that makes even the trivial quests interesting.

As for the game state, does it matter? You can easily spend 2-3k hours before you have to bother with that question. But the answer is.. it is a game entering its 8th year, where the publisher has little interest to further invest in the game, and thus little content is currently being added.

• 5 months later...