Thieves STILL deal too many stacks of poison. Needs additional nerfs.

Enduronex.4865

@babazhook.6805 said:

Issues:
  1. The crit rate is too low to stack malice and get M7 procs quickly enough to contribute.
  2. Stacking stealth forever (which you can’t do without spending a lot of initiative, which you don’t have a lot of and won’t regen quickly enough — see item #1) runs contrary to actually being able to build up the might stacks you need to do heavy damage.
  3. You have a decent amount of poison application but very little/no other conditions making individual cleanses really powerful against you.
  4. You can’t deal with projectile denial and otherwise do very small amounts of damage.

I’d rate the build:
  • Damage 3.5/5
  • Sustain 4.5/5
  • Stealth 3.5/5

Rating Explanation:
  • Damage: you can do decent condi burst with this but risk being unable to apply it if any projectile block is active. Cleanse is also a huge issue with few cover condi. Higher than average damage but lower sustained damage especially after people figure out what you are running.
  • Sustain: you have good healing and a good number of stunbreaks. I’m going to say you have good sustain combined with high armor and decent cleanse. You lose a half-point because you lack other optional defensive utilities (evade, blind, projectile denial, etc).
  • Stealth: you have decent stealth. It will keep you alive but you risk initiative management issues if you are forced to swap to D/P to maintain it.

I’d disagree that your build has it all. It has good sustain (based mainly on having decent stealth). However, there are serious issues with its ability to apply damage. Against a golem or non-cleansing opponent you will be fine. Cleanse and projectile denial among other potential tactics make it hard to call the build unfair (it still will probably perform decently but that’s a great spot to be in).

I disagree on a couple of points. Firstly by running double rifle with energy sigils the build can easily keep up with the stealth output d/p provided without running into any trouble.

Secondly this build does have access to blind through both blinding powder, and comboing spotters shot through snipers cover.

Thirdly due to the passive application of venom's partly due to the new SA rework this build can simply outlast most classes condi clears though its amazing sustain and stealth. So whilst it can't burst targets down straight away it can outlast pretty much anything.

I'd rate:Damage 3.5/5Sustain 4.5/5Stealth 5/5 (because In my opinion this build can't really be outstealthed by anything presently in the game, by cycling utilities and blasting snipers cover with BP occasionally it pretty much can maintain an 80-90% stealth up time throughout the fight. Now a glass DE COULD be killed in that 10-20% window (as annoying and painful as fights like that are) because its full glass. Not this build however.

Oh and I just made that build very quickly, I probably forgot a few things like it shouldn't be running m7. Qobk would be better.

In responding to a critique of a build you should not rebut the critique with a different build. You can not have double rifle with energy sigils and d/p at the same time. Double Rifle with energy sigils has weaknesses that are entirely different. Maintaining stealth is of no use if everyone of your attacks can be addressed via reflects, projectile blocks, evades, immunities and the usage of LOS. Double ranged weapons is not generally a good idea barring sb/sb which can work because some of the attacks use fields and AOE.

Like i said i made it in like 2 seconds before i went to sleep. Ranged can be extremely powerful when used correctly and usually makes up for what you sacrifice and more. Just time you're attacks and watch out for reflects. I use a rifle DE presently and find its quite strong.

Any build can appear strong depending on the nature of the build you face. As example, I am quite familiar with thief and including the Condition variants as I play all types of thief regularity. The spec you outlined is relatively easy to counter due to the limited number of conditions. If I am facing your spec with a Power thief (such as my s/p variant) , I can quite easily handle those conditions and use my own PORT to's to keep you under pressure. I can use walls and other obstacles to anchor my return ports. While you can likely escape using stealth you are not going to find the time to inflict much in the way of damage. A thief traited s/p using trickster and in the Acro line has a wealth of condition cleanses and your build just will not inflict those poisons fast enough. (It not like I do not have dodges, evades and stealths of my own either)

Your build can be very effective in WvW because there a whole lot of people you run into that might trait only one cleanse. Others just use their cleanses at the wrong time.

Do you have any good condi thief builds for WvW for a bad player liike me?

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

Issues:
  1. The crit rate is too low to stack malice and get M7 procs quickly enough to contribute.
  2. Stacking stealth forever (which you can’t do without spending a lot of initiative, which you don’t have a lot of and won’t regen quickly enough — see item #1) runs contrary to actually being able to build up the might stacks you need to do heavy damage.
  3. You have a decent amount of poison application but very little/no other conditions making individual cleanses really powerful against you.
  4. You can’t deal with projectile denial and otherwise do very small amounts of damage.

I’d rate the build:
  • Damage 3.5/5
  • Sustain 4.5/5
  • Stealth 3.5/5

Rating Explanation:
  • Damage: you can do decent condi burst with this but risk being unable to apply it if any projectile block is active. Cleanse is also a huge issue with few cover condi. Higher than average damage but lower sustained damage especially after people figure out what you are running.
  • Sustain: you have good healing and a good number of stunbreaks. I’m going to say you have good sustain combined with high armor and decent cleanse. You lose a half-point because you lack other optional defensive utilities (evade, blind, projectile denial, etc).
  • Stealth: you have decent stealth. It will keep you alive but you risk initiative management issues if you are forced to swap to D/P to maintain it.

I’d disagree that your build has it all. It has good sustain (based mainly on having decent stealth). However, there are serious issues with its ability to apply damage. Against a golem or non-cleansing opponent you will be fine. Cleanse and projectile denial among other potential tactics make it hard to call the build unfair (it still will probably perform decently but that’s a great spot to be in).

I disagree on a couple of points. Firstly by running double rifle with energy sigils the build can easily keep up with the stealth output d/p provided without running into any trouble.

Secondly this build does have access to blind through both blinding powder, and comboing spotters shot through snipers cover.

Thirdly due to the passive application of venom's partly due to the new SA rework this build can simply outlast most classes condi clears though its amazing sustain and stealth. So whilst it can't burst targets down straight away it can outlast pretty much anything.

I'd rate:Damage 3.5/5Sustain 4.5/5Stealth 5/5 (because In my opinion this build can't really be outstealthed by anything presently in the game, by cycling utilities and blasting snipers cover with BP occasionally it pretty much can maintain an 80-90% stealth up time throughout the fight. Now a glass DE COULD be killed in that 10-20% window (as annoying and painful as fights like that are) because its full glass. Not this build however.

Oh and I just made that build very quickly, I probably forgot a few things like it shouldn't be running m7. Qobk would be better.

In responding to a critique of a build you should not rebut the critique with a different build. You can not have double rifle with energy sigils and d/p at the same time. Double Rifle with energy sigils has weaknesses that are entirely different. Maintaining stealth is of no use if everyone of your attacks can be addressed via reflects, projectile blocks, evades, immunities and the usage of LOS. Double ranged weapons is not generally a good idea barring sb/sb which can work because some of the attacks use fields and AOE.

Like i said i made it in like 2 seconds before i went to sleep. Ranged can be extremely powerful when used correctly and usually makes up for what you sacrifice and more. Just time you're attacks and watch out for reflects. I use a rifle DE presently and find its quite strong.

Any build can appear strong depending on the nature of the build you face. As example, I am quite familiar with thief and including the Condition variants as I play all types of thief regularity. The spec you outlined is relatively easy to counter due to the limited number of conditions. If I am facing your spec with a Power thief (such as my s/p variant) , I can quite easily handle those conditions and use my own PORT to's to keep you under pressure. I can use walls and other obstacles to anchor my return ports. While you can likely escape using stealth you are not going to find the time to inflict much in the way of damage. A thief traited s/p using trickster and in the Acro line has a wealth of condition cleanses and your build just will not inflict those poisons fast enough. (It not like I do not have dodges, evades and stealths of my own either)

Your build can be very effective in WvW because there a whole lot of people you run into that might trait only one cleanse. Others just use their cleanses at the wrong time.

Do you have any good condi thief builds for WvW for a bad player liike me?

I have a few. This is my main condition build. It P/d which I find superior to s/x as it has far more cover conditions and you are not over reliant on poison.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAoiVlFwQYbMImJOuOnvcA-zVJYkR3fpUQRlTI0dE0RC49HIc/aAxzG-w

The tormenting runes , coupled with shadow saviour add significant heals to the build. Given you get a heal off every application of torment , weaving stealth is important. While you can add an extra stealth utility (shadow gust or BP as example) you can generally work off Shadowmeld and Hide in shadows just as long as you build malice to use the Stolen item stealth.

For that malice it important you use your key INI skill #3 to its full potential. Shadowstrike and try to get those two repeaters off. When you port away you get a heal from the shadows saviour plus the Torment heals off your runes. Try to stealth when malice hits 5 to get the bleeds/torment (and another heal) off the sneak attack.

In this build torment is your main damage source durations are at maximum meaning you can build significant stacks until cleansed. Given the default condition off your pistol one is bleed , you can easily load torment stacks then follow up with adding bleeds to help cover against single condition cleanse. As an alternate you can take panic strike for more poison adds using the p 2 immob. I however find this can take away too much of your INI robbing from your other INI skills. The might add and added vuln off even the odds acts to increase damage. With Fire for effect added in you can get your might stacks very high in short order for harder ticks.

• 3 weeks later...

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:So does ur avatar lol

Yes, because spellbreaker, deadeye, daredevil, reaper, herald, dragonhunter, and to some extent soulbeast are not enough counters for people. Condi thief wreaks chaos on the battlefield in a way that only a pure cleanse build can deal with and only support FB or mender's tempest can heal.

For your information, I bring Seeker's Amulet (YES, SEEKER's AMULET) to ranked PvP and people complain about how broken my class is. Maybe use your CCs. My build is strong, but carries a counter-able risk factor with it.

I have no issue with condo thief at all. I actually think it fits perfectly in a game filled with still broken OP holo, mirage is far more anoying and cheese filled spec than any spec or class in the history of mmo's will ever be, splb with their super sustain and dps, fire weavers with their burn u to 0 in one sec while having great sustain and lb slb who arnt skilled enough to play the class melee and sit back and pew pew pew pew pew all while doing the same dps or more as a spec that has to be in close to do its dps. These post are pointless cuz gw2 is a literal joke of a pvp game if ur expecting any sort of balance regarding almost ever class especially the hot and pof specs lol. So who cares.

You're going to tell me Auramancer should just die to condis that thief puts out? That's completely nonsensical. That should be a stall matchup, but nope, POSION. POISON. POISON. You can't cleanse it when literally every shout and overload and aura cleanses conditions. STILL not enough. I'm sorry, but that's unacceptable. And yes, condi mirage is also overtuned (as is longbow's range on soulbeast, as is magebane tether's ability to go through objects and persist after downing and death). But if you continue to refuse to acknowledge the problem that is condi thief, don't be surprised when it gets nerfed into nonexistence like chronomancer was and scrapper was.

I at least had the decency to say where holosmith was overpowered (holographic shockwave range) and that Elixir U was bugged to a holo's benefit. So I don't want to hear this nonsensical "he's a holosmith enthusiast" rhetoric. A balanced game has counters that, by corollary, can be countered in a reasonable amount of time. 168 hits of poison in 2 SECONDS is not counterable in a reasonable amount of time, especially when it's been applied after previous stacks of poison that required cleanses. And this isn't a "you're playing the wrong profession" thing. This applies to all classes, even firebrand. You may want to counter by saying that most people cannot play firebrand, which is actually something I acknowledge, but at the same time, if only like 10 people can play it well (i.e., if it doesn't scale well), what about at least 90 other individuals who play firebrand? It shouldn't just be balance patches for the absolute best, it needs to be reflective of a broader group of individuals who play decently but maybe aren't the absolute best at the game.

• 1 month later...

How many time have we seen that the thief needs to be nerfed its all crap because every class player will say that another class needs to be nerf. Warriors have to much health and resist damage too much, ranger builds can have crazy health regeneration, mezer can 1 shot you before you can see it coming, those are just the classes i hate.

The only answer to all the nerf is balance which takes time at this point in time i think the dev's makes changes like they are stabbing in the dark.