Official capes discussion thread

@Teratus.2859 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:It's a side effect of things being a different base material" - it causes dyes to look different on different types of items

That's disappointing considering the cape's texture matches the same fabric texture on my armour.. might be hard to see in the pictures.

Incidentally, is that a bow on your back? If so, what is it?

It is yes, it's the Golden Talon Longbow.Black Lion chest exclusive skin, not sure if you can buy it for statuettes but it'll come back around again at some point i'm sure and you can try to get it ^^Save up your keys if you can.
O30Xw0w.jpg

I don't buy keys to avoid encouraging the practice, but hopefully I might get it via another way

Gliders had the same problem. This isn't something you can fix yourself, they'll need to fix the item. When they made HoT free with PoF, they didn't actually give people HoT, they instead changed the requirements to owning either HoT or PoF, so anything that checks for HoT specifically will show as locked.

Something from gw1 that is yet again... a gemstore feature... sighWasn't the build template fiasco enough already? I mean, I'm happy that we got at least a pumpkin head that we get for ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME like in gw1 but still...Yes, I know there's one you can buy from a guild trader but you can't dye it and it looks afwul in comparison. Anyways, I think I'll stick to my shiny legendary backpack as everyone only cares for showing of legendaries these days and judges people based on skin choices and calls people who go for realistic things noobs...What's next? Backpack dying feature or elite specs behind a paywall? Wtf

@kharmin.7683 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Personally, I am disappointed in this addition because I would rather the resources have been spent on actual content.

We literally just had a new ls episode like a week ago though. That is new content. We can have both.

Sure, sure. What about PvP or WvW? Have they received any new content recently? I'm not trying to kitten on anyone's cape-party. I just expressed my personal opinion.

Others of us are so disillusioned about our preferred modes we’ve kind of given up complaining about it..

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jaffawer.4932 said:Oh superb.... it took them 7 years and now they've decided to stick it in that kitten gemmie-store for 500g... a single cape style. Seriously? And there are people who are praising them for it. And of course the Guild cape is ugly af. No way to obtain unique capes through game-play, crafting, etc.

But there’s the same hope that Anet will make them obtainable outside the gem store just like mount skins and glider skins.

It's sad, I wish there were actually things like that one can obtain by actually playing the game instead of throwing money at it. And i'm talking about stuff outside of raids since not everyone actively speedclears them every week. You know? Some people want to actually ENJOY content rather than rush through it and being put under pressure. Some of us don't have reaction times of a 16 year old. Some of us have disabilities. There's so much neat stuff (and even lore) locked behind raids that the only way of obtaining something nice these days is the gemstore. Considering how rewards were in the times before HoT the last content updates over the years are disappointing. People overall were a bit nicer before HoT too despite the dungeon elitism stuff... I miss these days.

I want to first go on record that as somebody who played superheros MMo's that I really appreciate the cape options that have came and will be coming. However I really dislike the cost for both options at this time.

For the gem store one, I like that it is dyeable, I like the look, its a very nice cape. I personally believe it is 100 gems too much for a cosmetic item. I believe this about a lot of armor skins you put out. I certainly don't know how your in house game economists choose the gem price for items you put out, but if you had done a flat 400 I might also be inclined to purchase it and other skins. I mean if these were actual armor bits going 500 + on gems would make more sense but this is a totally cosmetic skin. The lowest amount of gems purchasable is 10 dollars . While I understand that your trying to encourage people to spend money so that you can create more content I think that your pricing is more self defeating in some ways.

I personally feel id be more likely to blow cash if I'm getting 2 skins for 800 . This is my opinion though.

Onto the Guild cape, this is where the real disappointment steps in. First off I don't mind that I have to pay for it, I do mind that its a half cape and 10 gold and 10 commendations. This feels sorta like a gouge to me especially when all the other guild backpieces are 5 gold and 5 commendations. This really doesn't feel like a 10 gold and 10 commendation skin. Again if it was like the other offered guild back parts that carried stats that might change my mind....but ten gold for a half cape skin alongside 10 commendations?

For those that are about to say that 10 gold isn't much your quite correct, 5 days of dailies or just doing general events would snag enough gold within a week to afford that part. Its the 10 commendations to somebody in a small guild that's really my clincher price wise. If you have a fairly active and large guild that will do guild missions once a week you might be able in 2 or 3 weeks depending get the 10 necessary. But what about small guilds or guilds that have lost people and can maybe only get 1 or 2 commendations a week depending on how lucky the guild mission list is? That's a pretty long time to invest in a skin with so many other shiny things to get.

Their pricing is based on metrics and research of what customers actually pay. Apparently the higher value shifts just as well as lower priced ones, plus they take into account the gems-gold transfer.

They also want you to buy over the 400 gem single purchase bracket. Which is sneaky, but about right for business practices in the modern world.

Ultimately, it is 500 gems because they have information that says it will sell at that price really well. I can pretty much guarantee they are right

@Randulf.7614 said:Their pricing is based on metrics and research of what customers actually pay. Apparently the higher value shifts just as well as lower priced ones, plus they take into account the gems-gold transfer.

They also want you to buy over the 400 gem single purchase bracket. Which is sneaky, but about right for business practices in the modern world.

Ultimately, it is 500 gems because they have information that says it will sell at that price really well. I can pretty much guarantee they are right

understandable if meh in my mind

@"Artits.2795" said:They shared a trailer of the BLC cape on YouTube and people called them out on the obvious quality difference between the paid and earnable cape. My page refreshed for whatever reason and suddenly "Comments are turned off" lmao.

That should come as no surprise to anyone. At least they did include a way to acquire one in game, but just like the original 'chair', don't expect parity with Gem store offerings.

@Cynder.2509 said:

@Jaffawer.4932 said:Oh superb.... it took them 7 years and now they've decided to stick it in that kitten gemmie-store for 500g... a single cape style. Seriously? And there are people who are praising them for it. And of course the Guild cape is ugly af. No way to obtain unique capes through game-play, crafting, etc.

But there’s the same hope that Anet will make them obtainable outside the gem store just like mount skins and glider skins.

It's sad, I wish there were actually things like that one can obtain by actually playing the game instead of throwing money at it. And i'm talking about stuff outside of raids since not everyone actively speedclears them every week. You know? Some people want to actually ENJOY content rather than rush through it and being put under pressure. Some of us don't have reaction times of a 16 year old. Some of us have disabilities. There's so much neat stuff (and even lore) locked behind raids that the only way of obtaining something nice these days is the gemstore. Considering how rewards were in the times before HoT the last content updates over the years are disappointing. People overall were a bit nicer before HoT too despite the dungeon elitism stuff... I miss these days.

Can't you just exchange gold you earn in game for gems and then buy it? How is that any different?

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Personally, I am disappointed in this addition because I would rather the resources have been spent on actual content.

We literally just had a new ls episode like a week ago though. That is new content. We can have both.

Sure, sure. What about PvP or WvW? Have they received any new content recently? I'm not trying to kitten on anyone's cape-party. I just expressed my personal opinion.

Others of us are so disillusioned about our preferred modes we’ve kind of given up complaining about it..

Nods in agreement

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:It's a side effect of things being a different base material" - it causes dyes to look different on different types of items

That's disappointing considering the cape's texture matches the same fabric texture on my armour.. might be hard to see in the pictures.

Incidentally, is that a bow on your back? If so, what is it?

It is yes, it's the Golden Talon Longbow.Black Lion chest exclusive skin, not sure if you can buy it for statuettes but it'll come back around again at some point i'm sure and you can try to get it ^^Save up your keys if you can.
O30Xw0w.jpg

I don't buy keys to avoid encouraging the practice, but hopefully I might get it via another way

I very rarely buy them too.I get them running characters through personal story and RNG loot.I just save them for when there's something in the chests I want and then save the statuettes to buy golden keys.If you have a spare character slot you can get 1 key a week running through the level 10 personal story instances and remaking the character every week.

@"Dahkeus.8243" said:GW2 Fanbase: zOMG! Give me things, but don't make me pay for them!

Also GW2 Fanbase: Why are devs leaving ANet to go to other companies!?!

"Wow, this cape is a bit pricey, maybe bump it down to at least the same price as that elaborate chair you just released?"

"Oh so what you're saying is you don't want to pay anything, huh?!"

This is why discourse on the internet is effectively dead

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"Artits.2795" said:They shared a trailer of the BLC cape on YouTube and people called them out on the obvious quality difference between the paid and earnable cape. My page refreshed for whatever reason and suddenly "Comments are turned off" lmao.

That should come as no surprise to anyone. At least they did include a way to acquire one in game, but just like the original 'chair', don't expect parity with Gem store offerings.

And this is why no one outside of the speed clear community gave a fuck about raids and why they also don't give a fuck about "strikes"

If all the good stuff is in the store then people only care about what earns them the most gold the easiest. It pretty much dictates how people discuss maps these days. It doesn't matter if it looks nice or the content is engaging or fun hard, all that matters is whether the meta will earn you fat stacks.

None of this is healthy for the game but most of the people who seem to care have long since left for greener pastures