Strike mission opinions, boneskinner (and the previous bosses)

The boneskinner strike came out just today. Arenanet mentioned this is the hardest difficulty we will see in strike missions.. So after doing this I am curious what everyone thinks about this fight, and compared to the previous strike bosses. Also mention if you are new to instanced boss content (casual), you do fractals or dungeons frequently or if you do raid so we know the kind of experience.

Let me start....

I am a casual player that has done some fractal on tier 1 before and the dungeon story paths but thats about it next to the usual open world bosses. I have done all strike bosses now... The Grothmar Icebrood construct was an easy cakewalk (just hug it and you can kinda just press autoattack). Then we got the Voice and Claw of the Fallen. This one I did die on 1st attempt (whole squad whiped but we didn't know what to do yet). On restart we nailed it easy and on any later attempt it was an easy cakewalk because every one new the tactic (yet again one could hug the bosses and kinda auto-attack but with changing the bosses and kill them off together). Then we got the Fraenir... again an easy boss but harder than previous. Just avoid ice, jump over waves (or ignore when healer), use your CC and hug the boss. Can't autoattack if you want gold but never failed to get gold from try 1. And then today we got the Boneskinner. Announced as the hardest one... I would say this may have been the easiest one next to the Grothmar one... Instant gold... Hug boss, move along with it now and then to stay hugged and just dps (I guess one could auto attack it lol) and CC. Don't think I even got any damage (which I did with the Grothmar one)... I truly hope this was not the most difficult. I fear that this will be dead content in 2 days since everyone got the achievements and the rewards are terrible so why would one replay it.

Im curious for other players opinions on these bosses they encountered.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was not the most difficult of the strike missions we have seen by a long stretch. Easy gold on first try basically ignoring all mechanics. Fraenir was what I expected the difficulty of a public strike mission to be like.

As it stands, it's harder to kill the Boneskinner that spawns in open world than it is to kill the one in the strike mission.

Haven't tried new one yet. Haven't got silver let alone gold in Fraenir yet although came close. Thoroughly enjoyed the fight - enough challenge and mechanics for me to feel enjoyable.

First one was also decent enough and about the right level for a strike mission. Prob the harder of the seen ones since it's the only one I've actually seen "fail" more than once.

Boneskinner will have to wait until tomorrow when players are online. Not much call for it at nearly 2am it seems!

Just saw the vid of Mighty Teapot about this strike where he mentions either something is utterly broken (you can ignore breakbar and all mechanics, ok with a 4 man the torment did damage quite a bit but nobody goes without 10 players (and theres usually always some heal). He has done it around same time as I did it as I saw myself back in his video standing outside the portal after just finishing mine. As it is atm the open world version is a lot harder.

I expected difficulty closer to Balthazar/Warbeast end story fight or Mordremoth fight (given its 10 ppl could as well be CM difficulty of that boss as that one is 5 player).

Till now we have 4 strike missions and as I expected none of them is an appetizer for raiding. The missing lore aspect that dungeons & raids have (and in little parts fractals as well) in addition with an inconsequential, not increasing difficulty pattern paired with terrible loot won't lead people to raids or things related. Although there may be strikes to come my opinion from the beginning stands that they are not an improvement for the game. Neither for the casual side of the game nor the hardcore ones which obviously wasn't the target group anyway.The better route would have been to develop new dungeons with PoF or at least with LS 4 maps or for my sake with the Saga.For me the strike adventure still stays a product of the rationalization cycle because the required resources for better results were gutted and they desperately wanted to ship out something. In my opinion a big failure but it's not the first one. Let's see when they get abandoned as well.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Arden.7480" said:

Spoiler: It does nothing.

It's so bad, that I think it's actually bugged...

Your group is hardly a typical group. You had high barrier uptime as well as high group DPS. Of course it was easy for your group. Strikes, at the moment, aren’t designed for groups like that.

That's it. Strikes are designed for common pugs, not for hardcore raiders.

I have to believe that this strike is bugged, did it this morning in a public group an he just stood in the middle of the arena and jumped once and didnt do much else after that (didnt run to a brazier or do a ground cone aoe like I saw in the video above). No one died, no one even got close to dying, finished it with a little under 1min remaining on gold.I'm assuming there's supposed to be mechanics players have to do and stuff needing to be dodged, but if he's not bugged, then he's the easiest boss I've ever killed in an MMO.

@"Pirindolo.9427" said:Well, I confirm that, if bugged, it's due to something that triggers that bug, because I was in a pug today and it took some minutes to kill it with many jumps and aoe's. It was not a very hard fight at all, but it wasn't either a 1 minute kill.

That's most likely due to different dps. Pugs without any other statements than "strike mission" in the lfg can vary from good to very bad dps - not even with taking into account alacrity, quickness and other boons that would shift good to very good or excellent dps.

Fractals are better if we're talking about "introduce to raids", because fractal community wants you to play meta build, just like in raids — to be dps or support.But honestly, fractals are more dynamic than most of the raid bosses.

• First strike mission (in Grothmar) wasn't super challenging... just a big dps golem.
  • Kodans: it shows us that breaking the defiance bar is important, because it stops certain boss attack which can kill the squad. Those immobilize aoes aren't dangeorous. +They need to be killed at the same time. It's enough of mechanics. I liked that strike mission.
  • Fraenir: watch the aoe and dodge them. Nothing more. And it's a big dps golem (see Grothmar's strike mission).
  • Boneskinner: well, just attack it until it die.I hope devs will do something about it; maybe they will add at least one mechanic. I would like to see the same mechanics as in OW event: Bineskinner has CC bar and you have to break it, otherwise Bineskinner will jump to it's target to kill it. It's a great opportunity to teach players Samarog's mechanic (for those who don't know: Samarog will jump at the targeted player and others must break it's CC bar to prevent him from killing someone).Fraenir could use some additional mechanics, or maybe just his aoes should stay like in story.

Adjusted the stats and damage of the boneskinner in the Boneskinner Strike Mission to closer match its intended difficulty. Changed how damage is inflicted on the boneskinner's Tormenting Aura mechanic to preserve the integrity of the intended fight mechanics.

Anyone test it out yet?

Edit: I just saw the fight streamed and it’s definitely harder although you can still avoid the mechanic if you don’t have a healer.