Light puzzle completions in Bjora Marches not counting for the meta

@Kronos.3695 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Probably a very low priority. If it’s not fixed by the 17th with the Wintersday update then chances are it’ll never get fixed and we’ll have to live with it.

It may be a low priority, but we're still talking about four achievements counting towards the completion of the living story journal meta.They'll have to find a fix or a solution, because right it's not only broken, but confusionary to the people that are not visiting the forums.

You complete all four achievements the same day and get the meta achievement reward. Since there's a workaround, I think that's why it'll be categorized as low priority.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Rhea Ravenseeker.7105 said:

@aleron.1438 said:It's baffling how you all (players not Anet) don't even use your brains. If you would have checked your achievement point score by hovering over it to see the daily+monthly score and the permanent score, you would've noticed that the +1 AP you get from each Light Puzzle counted towards the daily score, as they are daily reset puzzles. This is why the complainers are 'losing' AP on reset. Because you've already reached the daily cap of 15K and you can't cheat the game to getting more ap over it.

This repeatable Light puzzle is made for those that haven't reached their 15k daily cap. So essentially , those can get up to 10+4 AP daily. Think of it like a boost to get to your account daily 15k cap faster.

What is really baffling is how some people are prepared to call out others somewhat abusively without actually checking their own facts. But I guess by now you have realised you were being a kitten so there it is.

For all others, what is happening is this
[i have 4 accounts in different stages and have tested this out]
:1: The four individual puzzles are shown in the meta, when you complete them they show as complete, but then at the end of the day they reset [both as achievements and as part of the meta]. HOWEVER, the total count for the meta is not reduced: they are still being counted for the total: you have not lost progress on the meta, so don't worry about that. This is essentially only a display bug.2: When you complete a puzzle, you are given a daily achievement point. If you do not have 15k combined daily and monthly then you will receive this point. Also, you will not lose it at day end. If you do have 15k, then you will not get this point because it is capped and as Keavan said, this is intended to be a daily, however badly it is placed and communicated.3: BUT, when you subsequently relog, remap or change character, you will ALSO get 1 AP in your permanent count. This is regardless of whether you are eligible for the daily or not. This is a bug and source of much of the confusion. This 1 AP should not have been given, and will be reversed at daily reset, presumably because they have some sort of daily recon going [yes, it would be really helpful if they would just tell us what's happening, but they are really lousy at communication - hangover from Gayle I believe, but that's only my experience].4: Multiply all the above by the number of puzzles you do [1-4].

In short, you are not losing anything. The meta still counts them, the AP you lose at daily reset are only AP you should not have got in the first place.But yes, each of these issues are bugs, but unlikely to be addressed real soon because there is no actual loss. And yes, the myriad design issues behind this imply rushed, not carefully thought through, and not boding well for the future.

Thanks for the excellent explanation for what is happening. To be honest, I'm not really sure why ANet decided to make these four light puzzles be dailies (since Daily AP is not exactly hard to come by and caps out eventually, and I believe you still get the daily chests from completing the puzzles each day anyway), but fine, whatever. I'll just do these four to get Luminary and then ignore their uncompleted status in the meta tracker.

@Zaxares.5419 said:

@aleron.1438 said:It's baffling how you all (players not Anet) don't even use your brains. If you would have checked your achievement point score by hovering over it to see the daily+monthly score and the permanent score, you would've noticed that the +1 AP you get from each Light Puzzle counted towards the daily score, as they are daily reset puzzles. This is why the complainers are 'losing' AP on reset. Because you've already reached the daily cap of 15K and you can't cheat the game to getting more ap over it.

This repeatable Light puzzle is made for those that haven't reached their 15k daily cap. So essentially , those can get up to 10+4 AP daily. Think of it like a boost to get to your account daily 15k cap faster.

What is really baffling is how some people are prepared to call out others somewhat abusively without actually checking their own facts. But I guess by now you have realised you were being a kitten so there it is.

For all others, what is happening is this
[i have 4 accounts in different stages and have tested this out]
:1: The four individual puzzles are shown in the meta, when you complete them they show as complete, but then at the end of the day they reset [both as achievements and as part of the meta]. HOWEVER, the total count for the meta is not reduced: they are still being counted for the total: you have not lost progress on the meta, so don't worry about that. This is essentially only a display bug.2: When you complete a puzzle, you are given a daily achievement point. If you do not have 15k combined daily and monthly then you will receive this point. Also, you will not lose it at day end. If you do have 15k, then you will not get this point because it is capped and as Keavan said, this is intended to be a daily, however badly it is placed and communicated.3: BUT, when you subsequently relog, remap or change character, you will ALSO get 1 AP in your permanent count. This is regardless of whether you are eligible for the daily or not. This is a bug and source of much of the confusion. This 1 AP should not have been given, and will be reversed at daily reset, presumably because they have some sort of daily recon going [yes, it would be really helpful if they would just tell us what's happening, but they are really lousy at communication - hangover from Gayle I believe, but that's only my experience].4: Multiply all the above by the number of puzzles you do [1-4].

In short, you are not losing anything. The meta still counts them, the AP you lose at daily reset are only AP you should not have got in the first place.But yes, each of these issues are bugs, but unlikely to be addressed real soon because there is no actual loss. And yes, the myriad design issues behind this imply rushed, not carefully thought through, and not boding well for the future.

Thanks for the excellent explanation for what is happening. To be honest, I'm not really sure why ANet decided to make these four light puzzles be dailies (since Daily AP is not exactly hard to come by and caps out eventually, and I believe you still get the daily chests from completing the puzzles each day anyway), but fine, whatever. I'll just do these four to get Luminary and then ignore their uncompleted status in the meta tracker.

Honestly, so much confusion could've been avoided if these achievements were simply placed in the DAILY BJORA MARCHES category rather than under the permanent Whisper in the Dark achievements.I hate the incomplete look of achievement tabs.. Ugh. Hope for a fix sooner rather than later.

It's actually more baffling the way you somehow interpret this bug into something related to the AP limit. In any case, the bug was fixed in today's patch, so we can all move on now.

@Rhea Ravenseeker.7105 said:For all others, what is happening is this [i have 4 accounts in different stages and have tested this out]:1: The four individual puzzles are shown in the meta, when you complete them they show as complete, but then at the end of the day they reset [both as achievements and as part of the meta]. HOWEVER, the total count for the meta is not reduced: they are still being counted for the total: you have not lost progress on the meta, so don't worry about that. This is essentially only a display bug.2: When you complete a puzzle, you are given a daily achievement point. If you do not have 15k combined daily and monthly then you will receive this point. Also, you will not lose it at day end. If you do have 15k, then you will not get this point because it is capped and as Keavan said, this is intended to be a daily, however badly it is placed and communicated.3: BUT, when you subsequently relog, remap or change character, you will ALSO get 1 AP in your permanent count. This is regardless of whether you are eligible for the daily or not. This is a bug and source of much of the confusion. This 1 AP should not have been given, and will be reversed at daily reset, presumably because they have some sort of daily recon going [yes, it would be really helpful if they would just tell us what's happening, but they are really lousy at communication - hangover from Gayle I believe, but that's only my experience].4: Multiply all the above by the number of puzzles you do [1-4].

Well, you're wrong in your assumption too, these are 4AP no matter what, and has nothing to do with the AP limit, just like we've all been saying - us confused players not using our brains. Even those who had not hit their AP limit lost their 4AP at reset, so I have no idea where this guesswork of linking this bug to the AP limit comes from, but it's simply not true. Fix is in today, and we can all get our 4AP now, regardless of AP limits.

@"darksome.1697" said:

Well, you're wrong in your assumption too, these are 4AP no matter what, and has nothing to do with the AP limit, just like we've all been saying - us confused players not using our brains. Even those who had not hit their AP limit lost their 4AP at reset, so I have no idea where this guesswork of linking this bug to the AP limit comes from, but it's simply not true. Fix is in today, and we can all get our 4AP now, regardless of AP limits.

You really did not read what I wrote, did you? The 4AP that you got in the daily count was not lost, the 4 AP you got in the permanent section was reversed. If you had not reached the daily limit you were receiving 8AP, 4 in the daily and 4 in the permanent, and then 4 were reversed out of permanent at daily reset. If you had reached the 15k limit for dailies, you were only receiving 4 in permanent, which were reversed out, and which you were presumably never meant to receive in the first place. And by the way, none of this was "guesswork". As I stated, I tested it out thoroughly, everything I said was observed.

Who knows what happens now that it has been 'fixed', but I will test and see.

EDIT: The immediate update is that the AP are now immediately in the permanent, and remapping / reloading has no effect. No AP is given in the daily, regardless of whether you have reached the cap or not. Will need to wait for reset to test 2 things: 1: does reset affect anything, and 2: will the puzzles reset again allowing additional AP to be earned.

@"darksome.1697" said:

You really did not read what I wrote, did you? The 4AP that you got in the daily count was not lost, the 4 AP you got in the permanent section was reversed. If you had not reached the daily limit you were receiving 8AP, 4 in the daily and 4 in the permanent, and then 4 were reversed out of permanent at daily reset. If you had reached the 15k limit for dailies, you were only receiving 4 in permanent, which were reversed out, and which you were presumably never meant to receive in the first place. And by the way, none of this was "guesswork". As I stated, I tested it out thoroughly, everything I said was observed.

EDIT: The immediate update is that the AP are now immediately in the permanent, and remapping / reloading has no effect. No AP is given in the daily, regardless of whether you have reached the cap or not. Will need to wait for reset to test 2 things: 1: does reset affect anything, and 2: will the puzzles reset again allowing additional AP to be earned.

I'm sorry but your tests and observations were wrong. I hit the 15k AP limit a long long time ago. And I'm talking about the individual +1AP for each of the four puzzles here, nothing else. Before the patch, I did the four puzzles, got the +1AP for each (for a total of +4AP). Then at reset I lost the +1AP for each I had gotten (for a total of -4AP), and the puzzles were reset.

Did the 4 puzzles today after the fix, again, and got the +1AP for each, working just like it should. I actually did one yesterday before reset, which I usually did do during this time just to see if they had stealth fixed it or not - and that +1 AP was not lost when I logged on after the patch today, and the puzzle had not reset, so now it works. You get +1AP for each puzzle, and won't lose -1AP for each puzzle at reset. This has nothing to do with the AP limit whatsoever, or I would not have received the AP. Simple as that.

@"darksome.1697" said:

I'm sorry, but as I said earlier for me the bug was clear: the achievements were resetting and threated like dailies, but the 4APs weren't given as dailies at all.I was one the first in the game to hit the dailies cap years ago and, as expected, these achievements got fixed giving me 4APs outside the dailies.

You've built your theory/explanation around nothing.

...... but the 4APs weren't given as dailies at all. .......... You've built your theory/explanation around nothing.

The point is that yes they were. As I clearly explained, people like you [and 2 of my accounts] who had reached 15K were not getting daily AP, but anyone who had not reached 15K [including my other 2 accounts] were receiving daily AP on completion of the puzzle in addition to the permanent AP that was given on remapping. Everything that I explained as happening was happening, this was not theory, it was observation of facts. Possibly not of use to you but useful to anyone who had not reached 15K.

The only 'theory', then, is whether anything that was happening was actually intended or not. Specifically whether we were intended to receive and retain the permanent AP. Early in this thread we have an arenanet employee stating quite categorically that the individual puzzle achievements are intended to be daily and will reset at daily reset. I have based any conclusion of what should happen on a statement from anet, the only information we received from them on this topic. I've not just made it up. I also made several observations that if this was the intended design it is really bad design.

Now that they have patched it, I agree with darksome's observation about what is now happening. The achievements are being treated as permanent achievements, AP is given on completion, the AP persist and the achievement is not repeatable [although the puzzle is].