Eater of Souls fight is too difficult.

Bloodtau.4672

@battledrone.8315 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@olleandersson.4352 said:Am I the only one who actually enjoyed a bit of a challenge in the story for once? Reminded me of some of the fights in Guild Wars 1! More of this, please!

I think the problem was that for certain classes / builds (especially with pets triggering the heal) the fight SEEMED unbeatable, without any real clue as to why it was working the way it was. Difficult isn't /really/ the issue. It was not properly balanced. I know on my reaper, I kept dodging the attack and he'd still heal to full ... I didn't realize my horrors from Rise! were triggering it. (In no MMO ever did kitten pet AI ever work like that)

EDIT: also, the fact that it came after a long prelude without checkpoints, and you couldn't switch weapons (I know you could, but it wasn't intuitive nor common knowledge) made for very sour first experiences for people accustomed to certain playstyles. Again, especially for a game marketed pretty heavily as "play however you want."

"Play however you want" has never been about how easy/hard the game should be.....for the gazillon time.> @LucianDK.8615 said:Breakbars really need to have a better tutorial since people still struggle with the concept.

they never should had made it in the first place, its a waste of time and resources. making a tutorial for it will waste even more time and resources

Well the tutorial for breaking a bar already exists in the game.Sadly, it is tied to a HoT spawning event that most seems to skip (the starting event chain in rata Novus with the golem). Personally I wished that this sort of event was tied to required story step.

@flog.3485 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@olleandersson.4352 said:Am I the only one who actually enjoyed a bit of a challenge in the story for once? Reminded me of some of the fights in Guild Wars 1! More of this, please!

I think the problem was that for certain classes / builds (especially with pets triggering the heal) the fight SEEMED unbeatable, without any real clue as to why it was working the way it was. Difficult isn't /really/ the issue. It was not properly balanced. I know on my reaper, I kept dodging the attack and he'd still heal to full ... I didn't realize my horrors from Rise! were triggering it. (In no MMO ever did kitten pet AI ever work like that)

EDIT: also, the fact that it came after a long prelude without checkpoints, and you couldn't switch weapons (I know you could, but it wasn't intuitive nor common knowledge) made for very sour first experiences for people accustomed to certain playstyles. Again, especially for a game marketed pretty heavily as "play however you want."

"Play however you want" has never been about how easy/hard the game should be.....for the gazillon time.> @LucianDK.8615 said:Breakbars really need to have a better tutorial since people still struggle with the concept.

they never should had made it in the first place, its a waste of time and resources. making a tutorial for it will waste even more time and resources

Well the tutorial for breaking a bar already exists in the game.Sadly, it is tied to a HoT spawning event that most seems to skip (the starting event chain in rata Novus with the golem). Personally I wished that this sort of event was tied to required story step.

and if it was a POPULAR feature, then that wouldnt happen. it was also the only endgame mechanic, that i could do on my own.its a blue bar...nothing more. it didnt scare me away, but it certainly didnt keep me either

@flog.3485 said:Well the tutorial for breaking a bar already exists in the game.Sadly, it is tied to a HoT spawning event that most seems to skip (the starting event chain in rata Novus with the golem). Personally I wished that this sort of event was tied to required story step.That was a breakbar tutorial? And here i thought you could just autoattack with a ranged weapon and run in circles to solo that event easily.

Honestly I had to google the boss cause I dont remember any difficult encounters in PoF.

A potential solution would be to decrease difficulty/stats of boss, breakbar, damage etc. Everytime the player dies to the boss. Or implement health checkpoints. Decreasing the overall difficulty doesnt solve the problem because gw2 is already easy as it is. I think the major issue is mostly learn to play and understanding game mechanics of an encounter. I still see numerous people throw themselves into champions and elites during events only to get downed within seconds.

I also see lots of complaining on map chat in HoT maps about content being too hard which is really not the case. If anything the game just doesnt do a good job at teaching players game mechanics.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:Well the tutorial for breaking a bar already exists in the game.Sadly, it is tied to a HoT spawning event that most seems to skip (the starting event chain in rata Novus with the golem). Personally I wished that this sort of event was tied to required story step.That was a breakbar tutorial? And here i thought you could just autoattack with a ranged weapon and run in circles to solo that event easily.

Hmm. You might be confused with another event. I am talking about the golem which doesn’t take any damage from normal attacks and whose purpose is to be reprogrammed by an Asura npc so that the active defenses of Rata novus don’t try to kill us.

@flog.3485 said:

Hmm. You might be confused with another event. I am talking about the golem which doesn’t take any damage from normal attacks and whose purpose is to be reprogrammed by an Asura npc so that the active defenses of Rata novus don’t try to kill us.

The bar can be completely ignored for the event...

@flog.3485 said:

Hmm. You might be confused with another event. I am talking about the golem which doesn’t take any damage from normal attacks and whose purpose is to be reprogrammed by an Asura npc so that the active defenses of Rata novus don’t try to kill us.Yes, it's that event. All you had to do was to keep the golem aggroed on you (autoattacking was enough for it) and dodge or sidestep its slow and clearly telegraphed attacks (where just running in circles let you ignore like half of those). There was no need to break the defiance bar at all.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Hmm. You might be confused with another event. I am talking about the golem which doesn’t take any damage from normal attacks and whose purpose is to be reprogrammed by an Asura npc so that the active defenses of Rata novus don’t try to kill us.Yes, it's that event. All you had to do was to keep the golem aggroed on you (autoattacking was enough for it) and dodge or sidestep its slow and clearly telegraphed attacks (where just running in circles let you ignore like half of those). There was no need to break the defiance bar at all.

That was my experience as well. I just attacked it to keep aggro and I think I tried to destroy the projectiles some of the time.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Didn’t know about that. Last time I did my dailies it felt like the only way to progress the event was through cc skills.

@flog.3485 said:

Didn’t know about that. Last time I did my dailies it felt like the only way to progress the event was through cc skills.

The event is time-based.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Draw_the_shielded_golem%27s_fire_while_Agent_Zildi_reprograms_it

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

The event is time-based.

True, but when you take the aggro and there is no one around, CC’ing the boss felt like the best solution for me.

But anyway, without going too much off topic here,knowing how to CC should be part of a required story instance, not in open world where you can actually decide to skip the mechanic.

@flog.3485 said:

The event is time-based.

True, but when you take the aggro and there is no one around, CC’ing the boss felt like the best solution for me.

But anyway, without going too much off topic here,knowing how to CC should be part of a required story instance, not in open world where you can actually decide to skip the mechanic.

Using the special action key has been required in story instances before but how many people actually use it when it’s available in the open world?

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Using the special action key has been required in story instances before but how many people actually use it when it’s available in the open world?"Using special action key" is not an uniform mechanic. It does different things depending on encounter. Learning to use it in one doesn't mean you will necessarily learn how to use it in another.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

The event is time-based.

Using the special action key has been required in story instances before but how many people actually use it when it’s available in the open world?

What does the special action key has anything to do with using regular CC skills ?

@flog.3485 said:

The event is time-based.

What does the special action key has anything to do with using regular CC skills ?

It’s a mechanic taught in the story just just like how you suggested using CC should be taught in the story. I thought my post was pretty clear on that.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

The event is time-based.

It’s a mechanic taught in the story just just like how you suggested using CC should be taught in the story. I thought my post was pretty clear on that.

Okay, failed to see the connection. As for using the special action key, it has become relevant, especially in PoF, where you have events that tell you to use the action key.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It’s a mechanic taught in the story just just like how you suggested using CC should be taught in the story. I thought my post was pretty clear on that.And it's about as succesful as teaching a ranger how to use weapon skill skill nr 5 with a longbow (Barrage) and then expecting them to learn from it how to cc using Hilt Bash, when they have switched to GS.

Teaching someone how to use a specific skill slot does exactly nothing when the skill in that slot gets changed to something else, with completely different effect.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It’s a mechanic taught in the story just just like how you suggested using CC should be taught in the story. I thought my post was pretty clear on that.And it's about as succesful as teaching a ranger how to use weapon skill skill nr 5 with a longbow (Barrage) and then expecting them to learn from it how to cc using Hilt Bash, when they have switched to GS.

Teaching someone how to use a specific skill slot does exactly nothing when the skill in that slot gets changed to something else, with completely different effect.

Which wouldn’t be the case with CC.