Capes, Backpacks and shields

Love that we finally got capes but the hiding stowed weapons is a bigger deal for me. I've been asking for this for the longest time since stowed weapons clip with backpack items. I'd love to see the ability to use shield skins as backpacks. Basically just add shield skins to the backpack skins list.

I'm going to throw this idea out there which may or may not be popular. It's just an idea. Merge Shields and Backpacks together; taking shields out of the weapon category and giving the merged shield/backpacks a passive defensive skill along with a offensive skill somewhere on the HUD. Maybe to the left side of the tool belt right above the weapon swap and first weapon skill. The defensive/offensive skills could be profession based as they are now.

I personally don't use shields and haven't seen many players that do. For professions who use shields it could be replaced with another weapon; example Engineer could get off dagger, torch or axe which all fit in with the engineer.

@Randulf.7614 said:I main shield plus use shield in 2 other toons. I would vehemently object to this idea, but I dont think it would come to pass.

Shield skins as backpacks I have no issues with

Which professions? I'm curious because surely the primary attack skill could be translated to the offensive shield tool belt button I suggested. All professions would gain a shield and those who loose shield as a general weapon would gain a replacement weapon. I agree it's not likely to be implemented. I was just a thought.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:I main shield plus use shield in 2 other toons. I would vehemently object to this idea, but I dont think it would come to pass.

Shield skins as backpacks I have no issues with

Which professions? I'm curious because surely the primary attack skill could be translated to the offensive shield tool belt button I suggested. All professions would gain a shield and those who loose shield as a general weapon would gain a replacement weapon. I agree it's not likely to be implemented. I was just a thought.

Would i get fully refunded for making the Flameseeker Prophecy's? i made it to use it for the effects, and as a weapon on my Guard. Losing the ability to carry it would be a huge negative for me, and an instant no for me.

@Dante.1763 said:

Would i get fully refunded for making the Flameseeker Prophecy's? i made it to use it for the effects, and as a weapon on my Guard. Losing the ability to carry it would be a huge negative for me, and an instant no for me.

There's no reason you couldn't have a merged shield/backpiece as a legendary item with legendary effects.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:

@"Dante.1763" said:

There's no reason you couldn't have a merged shield/backpiece as a legendary item with legendary effects.

You mis understand, i enjoy using it as a weapon/defensive choice in combat. To lose that abilityis not something ill ever support, even less so with the alternative of "gaining" a weapon, if i dont like that weapon i lose both the shield, and an option, thats a terrible idea. I didnt make it to be a decoration.

I made it to be a weapon, that so happens to look cool, and works well with how i play. I dont care if few people use it. Few people use mace, should we do the same thing with mace? what about Warhorn? i very rarely see players use them in PVE, so they must not be used, and can be turned into a decoration, right?

Absolutely not. The weapons as they are add flavor and choices to the game, add to that a -shield- should always be a choice to carry into combat as an off hand weapon.

I like the idea of being able to have shields be backpack skins but turning it into some unique thing everyone can use sounds like a horrible idea from a number of points...

legendary weapons are a big investment for a lot of people with a preset purpose, adding things to this is fine (making minstrel a musical instrument for example) but removing the core functionality and moving it somewhere else so that it doesn't act like the other core weapons is ... complicated.

you also have an assortment of achievements that would be affected as it would work differently slayer for a start could still function but it has to be an equipped weapon changing the typing could break this achievement or require rework, and in the past Anet have been hesitant to add or remove weapon types, for example all the spear hype generated from Heart of thorns, and the complications of underwater combat. on top of this there is a lot of black lion skin achievements that require the now 16 core types of weapons, would shields still be included in this after this change you propose? would it be 15 skins and shields are earned differently? backpack skins are rewarded for much different content, achievements and challenges compared to shields would lumping them together not ruin that dynamic as people vi for a suitable shield with more function over said backpack and being a much more common type of reward?

mechanically speaking as well, these additional skills that are now on every class per your proposal, where will they be bound, how would they be set up on a guardian with 3 skills already on the default of F1, F2 and F3 to the engineer which has 5 skills on the same default line? how would it function in combat animation wise, when using the shield does it temporarily replace one of your weapons on your arm or stay on your back? if it has additional skills you would be running an inferior build for not having a shield skin or shield backpack variant over your standard backpack no?

and this is a bit of a nit pick because I play an engineer and I just found it funny, "For professions who use shields it could be replaced with another weapon; example Engineer could get off dagger, torch or axe which all fit in with the engineer", I personally find dagger and axe to be quite the stretch and torch is closer for blowtorches etc but still an unlikely thing for an engineer based on the majority of skins in the game currently and how they function, but I say this because you didn't say Mace ... the small cousin of the hammer ... the weapon that has a wrench skin ... the wrench skin a tool that is just outside of the reach of every engineer in Guild wars ... I hate that Anet have had 2 chances to give it to us for main and offhand use and still no sign of it on the horizon.

Completely disagree with taking out the shields from the weapons category for pretty much the same reasons that have already been stated in this thread.

Regarding clipping, I would suggest an option to toggle display between backpack or shield and back weapons.

Another suggestion could be that the shield is stowed on the forearm a la dragons dogma style.

@"Tekoneiric.6817" You do realize that Shields are a weapon used by 5 classes for combat and skills do you? Why would you want to remove a weapon and skills just for decoration purposes? This is not like asking for skins to be merged etc. This has huge gameplay consequenzes. It is like removing the Greatsword or the Staff. I don't understand why you would want to do that. Just to look good? Or did you forget that a shield is more than decoration?! I really don't understand why one would come up with this "Idea".

100% against this idea. No, 1000% against this idea!

@Jackson.9307 said:Completely disagree with taking out the shields from the weapons category for pretty much the same reasons that have already been stated in this thread.

Regarding clipping, I would suggest an option to toggle display between backpack or shield and back weapons.

Another suggestion could be that the shield is stowed on the forearm a la dragons dogma style.

The patch released yesterday allowed you to hide stowed weapons so that's not an issue anymore.

I have to agree I don't understand the point outside of ONLY wanting a cape since it's classified as a back piece. It takes up my back piece fashion and for it to not clip with my weapon fashion I have to hide that. So I am hiding 2 pieces of fashion for a cape? Maybe that's a sacrifice fine for someone but I like to see my flashy weapon+back piece skins that I worked for.

What I would have loved is to be able to have a cape as a separate addition and of course without clipping. Maybe have armor sets where it is included on the chest piece or have a separate toggle for capes all together. Then again I am not sure how practical that might be for AANET with this engine and money.

I love the idea of capes but not @ the removal of my weapon and back piece look.

It's amusing how many people go about to condemn the idea by saying basically the same thing over and over and all they are doing is promoting the thread. It's good to know that good ideas (shield skins unlocked on backpacks as well) can be promoted by adding something additional that people will dislike. Looks like we have a new suggestion method. :D

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:

@Jackson.9307 said:Completely disagree with taking out the shields from the weapons category for pretty much the same reasons that have already been stated in this thread.

The patch released yesterday allowed you to hide stowed weapons so that's not an issue anymore.

Holy cow! Really?? Hallelujah glory to anet gonna go check it out!! :D