Dyeable backs.

zealex.9410

Apparently you can dye the capes, or at least thats what some pics on discord of ppl's chars suggest.

Is this only a thing for the capes or its gonna be added to more back pieces/is already added?

Edit: also cudos to the ui costumisation options, now we only need the ability to resize and move ui elements freely like in gw1 and we'll be gucci.

@"Fenom.9457" said:I think definitely future capes, and maybe other backpacks too. Unfortunately there isn’t tech to retroactively make old backpacks dyeable and recoding them all one by one is a waste of dev time, if it’s even possible.

There was tech to make all the legendary weapons be able to have their sigils removed at will. Im leening more to the "its too much work" excuse but i still thing they should at least do it for the blc items and the legendary backpieces.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Fenom.9457" said:I think definitely future capes, and maybe other backpacks too. Unfortunately there isn’t tech to retroactively make old backpacks dyeable and recoding them all one by one is a waste of dev time, if it’s even possible.

There was tech to make all the legendary weapons be able to have their sigils removed at will. Im leening more to the "its too much work" excuse but i still thing they should at least do it for the blc items and the legendary backpieces.

If they’re gonna do it for any of them, the legendary ones should be first (as well as the other rarest ones). I actually would love to dye my ascension wings

@Udolpho.1209 said:*While we cannot add dye channels to existing backpieces, keep an eye out for dyeable backpacks of different styles in the future!

That's not entirely true, though...

Some of the more recent back items, such as the Shiverpeaks Backpack/Gilder combo, must have been made while they were working out the details for dyeable back items. They should have been made with that system in place, because they knew what was coming. And yet, I see nobody mentioning them as dyeable (I don't have them, so I can't check).

So, was the cape the first dyeable item, or did they stealth some in on us? I'm hoping for the latter...

@Palador.2170 said:

*While we cannot add dye channels to existing backpieces, keep an eye out for dyeable backpacks of different styles in the future!

That's not entirely true, though...

Some of the more recent back items, such as the Shiverpeaks Backpack/Gilder combo, must have been made while they were working out the details for dyeable back items. They should have been made with that system in place, because they knew what was coming. And yet, I see nobody mentioning them as dyeable (I don't have them, so I can't check).

So, was the cape the first dyeable item, or did they stealth some in on us? I'm hoping for the latter...

They are not dyeable, i have the shiverpeaks backpack and was hoping it would be. Alas, no. Honestly any backpack that has a glider skin thats dyeable youd think would be able to be changed to be dyed. But i dont know how their systems work.

@Fenom.9457 said:I think definitely future capes, and maybe other backpacks too. Unfortunately there isn’t tech to retroactively make old backpacks dyeable and recoding them all one by one is a waste of dev time, if it’s even possible.

A lot of it would become redundant, too. There are 5bsets of wings (?), and only 2 styles.

You know what would be expansion level content? Making older back pieces dyeable.

While a lot of them are certainly out of the question I think retroactively making the ones that already combo with dyable gliders should be a lot more feasible?

This is definitely a case of give an inch take a mile though as the patch straight up said old backpacks are not on the table.

Still though, you have given me an inch, now I want that mile. Look at that mile it's so vast and luxurious.

@mortrialus.3062 said:You know what would be expansion level content? Making older back pieces dyeable.

While a lot of them are certainly out of the question I think retroactively making the ones that already combo with dyable gliders should be a lot more feasible?

This is definitely a case of give an inch take a mile though as the patch straight up said old backpacks are not on the table.

Still though, you have given me an inch, now I want that mile. Look at that mile it's so vast and luxurious.

I wouldent call that content at all, expansion level quality of life more likely.

@Linken.6345 said:

@mortrialus.3062 said:You know what would be expansion level content? Making older back pieces dyeable.

I wouldent call that content at all, expansion level quality of life more likely.

Expansion level fight me.

@"Udolpho.1209" said:*While we cannot add dye channels to existing backpieces, keep an eye out for dyeable backpacks of different styles in the future!Read as "we can't be bothered to work on those things, as we would not be able to sell them to you again".

Notice, how even the most recent stuff - one that has been done alongside this new feature - did not get the color channels. They could have implemented them in those, but decided not to. That was not a lack of capability, but a result of a design decision.So, perhaps legendaries would get the option at some point (although looking at how well dyes work on envoy sets - or rather how they don't work - i wouldn't be so sure about that), but we definitely shouldn't expect any of other old backpacks to ever get even a sliver of attention.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Udolpho.1209" said:
*While we cannot add dye channels to existing backpieces, keep an eye out for dyeable backpacks of different styles in the future!
Read as "we can't be bothered to work on those things, as we would not be able to sell them to you again".

Notice, how even the most recent stuff - one that has been done alongside this new feature - did not get the color channels. They could have implemented them in those, but decided not to. That was not a lack of capability, but a result of a design decision.So, perhaps legendaries would get the option at some point (although looking at how well dyes work on envoy sets - or rather how they
don't
work - i wouldn't be so sure about that), but we definitely shouldn't expect any of other old backpacks to ever get even a sliver of attention.

Ain't this the truth. This new feature exists purely for the gemstore, I guess mount and glider sales have dried up so they need the next killer product, which is fine, I suppose. However, there's no profit in upgrading stuff that people already own so yeah, you're right that there's no chance they will go back and rework the older glider backpacks, for example.

@zealex.9410 said:

Yeah there are too many backpieces that would need recoding. Others are sold specifically because they are different colors from the other one so that wouldn't fly either. I just wish they went back and added dye channels for legendary backs, because those are at least "special" enough in my eyes to deserve it.

Now that ANet obviousl y has the tech set up to dye backpieces, all backpieces should be dyable. But as we learned from the past, they probably won't because looking back at content is not what ANet is about. The only thing we would get dyable backpieces if it was monetized in some way or another. Sad story is sad.

@lokh.2695 said:Now that ANet obviousl y has the tech set up to dye backpieces, all backpieces should be dyable. But as we learned from the past, they probably won't because looking back at content is not what ANet is about. The only thing we would get dyable backpieces if it was monetized in some way or another. Sad story is sad.

You can't just flip a switch and it's suddenly enabled for everything. They have to go through each piece individually and not only specify area but also other effects like metallic or what have you to enable it on every one. That's not worth the time investment when they could be making more new things with that tech enabled.