New to revenant and new to gw2

Kalyanne.9421

If i aim to do evrything in this game? (i understood there is wvw, ranked pvp and pve in form of dungeons amd things) what should be my specs and weapons for each niche?Also for leveling should i go dwarf with assasin and d swords with big hammer?Also my friend keeps telling me revenant is easy and not that complex as a class, is that true?Thanks in advance

Edit: what should i do with the lvl 80 boost? I heared if i lvl to 80 and use it i will gain some noce armor sets.

Each class has simple and complex ways of playing.

Don't be too concerned about what weapons to use. Learn how to play the game first. You'll eventually end up on weapons you enjoy using.

If I remember correctly, you can use the 80 boost to test out the various classes. I would keep that option open for a while.

@Kalyanne.9421 said:If i aim to do evrything in this game? (i understood there is wvw, ranked pvp and pve in form of dungeons amd things) what should be my specs and weapons for each niche?Also for leveling should i go dwarf with assasin and d swords with big hammer?Also my friend keeps telling me revenant is easy and not that complex as a class, is that true?Thanks in advance

Edit: what should i do with the lvl 80 boost? I heared if i lvl to 80 and use it i will gain some noce armor sets.

I level boosted my Revenant day one of HoT. Honestly leveling is not needed.I play mostly Core Revenant in WvW, Dwarf/Demon, or Ventari/Dwarf for Support or sometimes Glint/Ventari, depending on support role I am playing.just know, never use Hammer unless you have Assassin or Glint, or even both (in PvP that is. Anything works in Open world PvE)Sword/Sword is your bread and butter. I use Staff on support for major stat stick, but Sword Sword still for when I need to fight against other players.

Honestly Revenant is one of the easy class to play. Why? because pretty much all decisions when it comes to builds, are made for you since you have few choices. Just some stuff way underpowered compared to metas like Firebrand and Scrapper.

If this is your first character in GW2 I would be hesitant to use the boost. Levelling up teaches you the game in a graduated fashion, whereas the boost immediately gives you tons of skills that you have no idea how to use. Save your boost for an alt, level your Rev the normal way.

As for weapons:

Double swords are used with berserker's stats (power, precision, ferocity, basically full offensive), they are a close combat melee style weapon designed to inflict vulnerability on your target. Swords also offer a gap closer, and a evasive attack that deals damage while making you immune to incoming attacks.

Hammer is used with double swords for power focussed builds, it also has a couple of defensive skills.

Mace/Axe are used for condition (damage over time) damage with a couple of ranged skills, they have no defensive utility. Condition damage spec is the revenant's highest possible damage build, but it has very little defensive utility.

Shortbow is used with Mace/Axe for condition builds, it has one defensive skill that knocks down your opponents. Most of the other skills do AoE (area of effect) damage.

Staff is a purely support type weapon, it has skills for blocking, interrupting, knocking back, boss break-bar destruction and healing (I think).

Now, your choice of legend complicates things, and the general play style of the Revenant is to cycle through both legends and both weapon sets to rotate through skills while others are on cooldown. Both legends have a healing skill which means you have two heal skills, unlike other professions. Switching legends will cause certain effects, like breaking a stun and refunding energy. It is crucial to good Revenant play to know when to switch legends.

A good levelling build early on would be double swords and hammer coupled with Shiro (Assassin) and Jalis (Dwarf). Your weapons have a good mix of melee and ranged attack styles with defensive utility. Your legends give you mobility and offense (Shiro) and stability (prevents knockdown) and defense (Jalis).

As for builds and playstyles, check out the metabattle website. In a nutshell, Hammer/Staff is a good build for PvP, double swords/Hammer is a good build for PvE, for late game (raid/fractal) you will be looking at more specialized support builds using the Elite specs.

• 3 weeks later...

Revenant can be both very easy and complex to play, it all depends on how you choose to create your build and what elite spec.

Revenant has 2 elite specs, Herald and Renegade.

At surface level, Herald is the easier and less complex spec while Renegade is more involved and far less forgiving.

Choosing which to play and how to play it is completely on you and what you find fun, there is no true "meta" that you absolutely need to follow. It's just that the "meta" exists because those options are just easier and more forgiving to play, thus makes them a bit more fun for the casual player but this doesn't assume the other specs are viable.

Herald is a more robust spec that doesn't specifically focus on huge damage output but has decent values in all aspects, so it provides decent damage, support, and defenses for a group, typically the meta choice for large scale WvW but not so much else due to the Renegade being a "better" choice.

Renegade focuses more on the damage output, so it makes this spec more sought after in the PvE aspect of the game. With that said, It's also been mentioned that this spec is far less forgiving and has a higher learning curve to play "correctly".

Personally, I play WvW and my top choice for that is a Hammer Herald. I've always liked the "utility" type classes that offer a lot and I also like being somewhat ranged, so Hammer Herald is perfect for my playstyle. I like using Dragon/Dwarf for WvW with Staff as my other weapon, but S/S is very very strong dps.

However, I wouldn't be playing Hammer Herald if I focused more on things like Raiding or PvE simply because there are other builds that fit the meta better and would be more fun to play in that aspect.