@"Vork.6019" said:Not working..!

No idea how to post an image. Took a screenshot. Basically,

"Guild Wars 2 64-bit" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

Before fiddling around with system settings try finding where Guild Wars 2 is in the Applications folder in Finder and right-clicking and clicking "Open". On Mojave this semi-bypassed Gatekeeper default settings, perhaps its the same on Catalina?

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you guys help me? What do I need to do to have GW2 work on macOS Catalina.Error message:"Guild Wars 2 64-bit" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

@Gyro.9182 said:

@"duanstar.7369" said:Anyone seeing really messed up graphics after upgrading to MacOS Catalina? My game now looks like this whenever I'm in any fullscreen mode:
IMG_20191004_162515.jpg
Oddly enough everything works in windowed mode.

Same here.

Same here on my 2018 MacBook Pro. Thanks for the tip about running it in a window. That seems to be the only way I can play.

I currently have no problems on my MacBook Pro if the game is played in "Window" mode.It also seems to work without issues on my iMac 5K (late 2015) in regular (full screen) mode. I am not sure what causes the difference, although there is of course a clear difference in "power" between both computers and especially their graphics cards.

@"joey.4732" said:Can you guys help me? What do I need to do to have GW2 work on macOS Catalina.Error message:"Guild Wars 2 64-bit" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General. At the bottom of the window, you will see a dialogue. Choose 'Open anyway'. That should work.You might need to download the latest version from the ArenaNet website if you did not update your game after the 17th September.

I have not tried Onyx for Catalina, yet. But in the versions for previous Mac OS' it had an option to remove security restrictions for all applications. Onyx is a system tweaker, please, use only as a last resort and/or if know what you are doing (you should not be able to break the system, but you can compromise security a bit).

I've recently been getting back into this game and having a lot of fun, but my framerate is absolutely terrible. I finally found out that the Mac client (and the Windows client under Boot Camp) seems to be unable to access eGPUs! Attached is a little evidence of that. There's probably no chance for a fix, but I thought I would at least make people aware of this since some of us are stuck on Mac Minis + Macbooks for work :)

@"Hastings.9653" said:I've recently been getting back into this game and having a lot of fun, but my framerate is absolutely terrible. I finally found out that the Mac client (and the Windows client under Boot Camp) seems to be unable to access eGPUs! Attached is a little evidence of that. There's probably no chance for a fix, but I thought I would at least make people aware of this since some of us are stuck on Mac Minis + Macbooks for work :)

Eek! My next mac is going to be a mini and I had planned on using an egpu because of the lack of a real gpu in the mini. Did it work with egpus before the OS upgrade?

edit: I assume you have guild wars set to use the egpu, right?

• 2 weeks later...

I used to run the windows 64 bit exe directly on wine. It was not as good as native windows, but still got 30-40 fps while running the game in a window. Now with Catalina, I get crashes when I try to start it and have to use the Mac 64 client, which is horrible. Fps is generally in the 15 region, only occasionally moving up to 20 when there's nobody around. When moving the entire background goes blurry making the game look as if you're either drunk or looking through bad glasses.When I boot to windows, I get frame rates of 50-70 fps easily (this is the same hardware people!), dropping only when the map gets really busy, but still staying high.I think the people at Arenanet should be really ashamed of themselves of creating such a sub-par product and retract their advertisement that 'it runs on mac'. Instead, be honest and just say "It runs only on windows, but for Mac users we provide a really nice slideshow"

@Sottises.8034 said:Does anyone else have awful stuttering and pop-in trying to play this game? Some later areas in the game such as the Crystal Desert are nearly (but not actually) unplayable because of the sheer time it takes for the game to catch up and load things in. For some reason choosing different graphical settings doesn't affect it one bit.

My system is:Mac Pro 5,1macOS Mojave 10.14.6Intel Xeon W3690 @ 3.46GHz (+Boost)24GB ECC DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHzAMD Radeon RX 480 4GB VRAMGW2 is installed on: ADATA XPG 500GB NVMe stick (Installed in a PCI-E x4 slot)

Going from an SATA 3 SSD to an NVMe card didn't help it one bit. Character or environment settings set high or low, it's like its not even trying to use all of the RAM available. or VRAM, or even the full throughput of the NVMe card. Resolution or closing other apps doesn't affect it either, it's been like this for months.It might also be a side effect of the single-threaded / single-core game engine, but I can only get 17 or less FPS in crowded areas when its like this, but its capable of going 30-60 as soon as I turn the camera away.

I know this won't be directly helpful, but I have a very similar setup, but with RX 580 8GB and dual 2.93Ghz CPUs on High Sierra. I do get the odd pop and stutter just after landing in a map but if I wait a few secs it clears up. Also, for some bizarre reason running on one display instead of two helps a bit for me.

But it's nothing compared to booting my Mac into Debian 10 and running the game via Lutris+wine+dxvk12, I'm seeing 40-50+ fps in areas I'm only hitting 15-20 on the Mac Client. Quite shocking considering on Debian everything is running under a wrapper. Map scrolling, bags and other interface items are super smooth on Debian, while map scrolling on the Mac is rather poor and jerky. I think it's really down to the OpenGL vs DirectX APIs on the two operating systems. I just don't think OpenGL has the grunt.

@Jacques.8170 said:I think it's really down to the OpenGL vs DirectX APIs on the two operating systems. I just don't think OpenGL has the grunt.

Just a shame there's no way to communicate that they really need to take a good look at the engine one of these days if the game is to continue into 2020 and beyond. I'm not even talking just for macOS, but for Windows (and Linux under dxvk) as well. The limitations on how smooth Guild Wars 2 is to play is down to both its poor use of multiple cores (which one of the devs talked about there being some slow efforts to split things off of the main thread, single core speed shouldn't be relevant to games or applications nowadays, not nearly on the level GW2 is.) and its seriously old APIs. Even WoW pulled off moving to DX11 and DX12. d9vk and d912pxy(?) exist for windows. Wouldn't it be easier to turn attention to the engine, perhaps fix some things like the build templates debacle (which involved how messed up the inventory system is, apparently?), get some people in to work on writing a Vulkan pipeline (and look at valve's use of MoltenVK to get a Vulkan-to-Metal2 layer for macOS) for the rendering thread and split some more processes to do with loading in assets off the main thread to take proper use out of people's systems. There are people out there with NVMe SSDs and completely new Radeon RX 5700 XTs getting less performance than decade old computers for crying out loud. I should not have to have an i9-9900K overclocked just to pump enough single thread speed to run GW2 at 60FPS locked at 1080p, that's absurd.

EDIT: For those it may help on macOS. KEEP YOUR SHADERS SETTING ON LOW. This is the only setting I've found that actually has a performance impact under macOS, the others have superficial impacts at best. It makes sense, asking OpenGL to do less work would drastically increase the speed to render, and so would brute forcing it with an obscenely strong graphics card (I'm looking to get a Vega 56). I've also found I kinda like the look better without the overly bright white edge lighting they have going on.

I'm still playing this game on a Sierra iMac swapping between a Crossover (Wine) and the native Mac client. Even on low settings the Mac client has shader problems especially with leaves in trees. Another problem I encountered is that my necro staff attacks are self-targeted. I can't click the spell and move my target circle as it constantly casts directly at my location. The Crossover port is far more stable...

@"Arnalon.9247" said:I think the people at Arenanet should be really ashamed of themselves of creating such a sub-par product and retract their advertisement that 'it runs on mac'. Instead, be honest and just say "It runs only on windows, but for Mac users we provide a really nice slideshow".

@Jacques.8170 said:Quite shocking considering on Debian everything is running under a wrapper. Map scrolling, bags and other interface items are super smooth on Debian, while map scrolling on the Mac is rather poor and jerky. I think it's really down to the OpenGL vs DirectX APIs on the two operating systems. I just don't think OpenGL has the grunt.

It could also be that the mac OS and internals aren't as robust as Linux for example.

Linux has far more people tuning the bits under the hood.

The reason is that Apple's OpenGL implementation has had no optimisation or improvements in a very long time and only supports an old version of the standard.

Years before Apple announced Metal they had already stopped improving the OpenGL drivers, so when Apple introduced Metal, most game developers quickly started the work to transition to it due to the huge performance gains it provides.

Sadly Arenanet didn't take this path, but they should see the writing on the wall now that Apple has deprecated OpenGL on macOS. If they don't transition soon, and Apple drops OpenGL in the next version of macOS, they'll be left without a functioning game. That would be pretty sad, because it would mean I won't be able to play GW2 any more.

@keenedge.9675 said:

@Jacques.8170 said:Quite shocking considering on Debian everything is running under a wrapper. Map scrolling, bags and other interface items are super smooth on Debian, while map scrolling on the Mac is rather poor and jerky. I think it's really down to the OpenGL vs DirectX APIs on the two operating systems. I just don't think OpenGL has the grunt.

It could also be that the mac OS and internals aren't as robust as Linux for example.

Linux has far more people tuning the bits under the hood.

Very true, under Linux Lutris is just running the Windows binaries though, the only Linux tweaking happening is with the wine build and the dxvk dll changes. My Linux step also runs a lot less background processes, so this could also help.

I'm just not sure GW2 has a Mac user base large enough to justify ANet to switch the Mac Client to Metal(2). There will be a lot of programming involved, it took Blizzard a while to sort out WoW but it really does make a difference.

One has to also bear in mind Apple don't allow developers direct access to hardware registers etc. for GPUs, they have to go through the Apple API's and if those aren't top notch or optimised then you're going nowhere fast. Bear in mind Apple optimise for stability, not speed. I just hope ANet flip to Metal as it makes a huge difference.

• 2 weeks later...

@"duanstar.7369" said:Anyone seeing really messed up graphics after upgrading to MacOS Catalina? My game now looks like this whenever I'm in any fullscreen mode:IMG_20191004_162515.jpgOddly enough everything works in windowed mode.

Yep, same here. It's even more scrambled than that! Hopefully they can come up with a fix for full screen mode on Catalina because windowed is not much fun.

• 3 weeks later...

@"duanstar.7369" said:Anyone seeing really messed up graphics after upgrading to MacOS Catalina? My game now looks like this whenever I'm in any fullscreen mode:IMG_20191004_162515.jpgOddly enough everything works in windowed mode.

Update: at the suggestion of GW2 support, I finally did the nuclear option of reinstalling the game from scratch, and amazingly it's fixed the full screen graphics corruption issues for me on Catalina!

• 4 weeks later...

@"Kitten Commander.8952" said:I have Catalina as well.Seemed to work for me until I tried to update today. Now I can't get past the loading screen most of the time, and it crashes a minute or two after that anyway.Was looking forward to the Lunar New Year :(

Seems massive issues on Mac client atm since new Lunar patch released. Mac clients freeze in game, and client downloads are getting stuck.Not much feedback since 11hrs ago where they said they were working on it. Not sure if that is the client issue itself included though.https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1136483#Comment_1136483

Hope this will fixes the recent major Mac client crash...

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2020-01-15Game updates/2020-01-15< Game updatesUpdate - January 15, 2020Bug Fixes:

Fixed Mac client crashes related to wind and light effects.Eternal Battlegrounds: Fixed assorted environment issues around Stonemist Castle and Mendon's Gap.

Build: 101,472

• 3 weeks later...

So after the last update I have super fast map movement, as in just as fast as on Windows. This is great!!

However, I now have sound issues, lots of static and noise. Anybody else. It only happens in game and on the menu screen.

edit - I don't know what's been updated, but my fps has improved quite a bit?