Should NPCs be buffed?

witcher.3197

I seem to have the opposite opinion of most ppl so far. I'd say the keep and tower lords are mostly fine -- other than buffing desert garri and maybe nerfing desert net a tad -- but camp npcs need a buff. It's just a camp so if players don't come to defend it ofc it should flip, but the npcs should give players the opportunity to come defend it. As it is now the x doesn't usually pop until after all the npcs are dead and the circle is up. Anet wouldn't have to make the npcs stronger to fix that, they could just make the x pop as soon as the camp is contested instead of on a thirty second delay. Either way, I think a change would benefit the mode, but it's not real high on my list of priorities . . .

@Gop.8713 said:I seem to have the opposite opinion of most ppl so far. I'd say the keep and tower lords are mostly fine -- other than buffing desert garri and maybe nerfing desert net a tad -- but camp npcs need a buff. It's just a camp so if players don't come to defend it ofc it should flip, but the npcs should give players the opportunity to come defend it. As it is now the x doesn't usually pop until after all the npcs are dead and the circle is up. Anet wouldn't have to make the npcs stronger to fix that, they could just make the x pop as soon as the camp is contested instead of on a thirty second delay. Either way, I think a change would benefit the mode, but it's not real high on my list of priorities . . .

Removing the contested delay for camps is all that needs to happen, I think.

DBL lords seem appropriately strong--towers can be soloed if you're strong and Keeps if you're a legend. Their damage is useless in a blob fight, but scaling damage is probably a bad idea. ABL lords are potatoes and should be updated--same for EBG.

@Sviel.7493 said:

@Gop.8713 said:I seem to have the opposite opinion of most ppl so far. I'd say the keep and tower lords are mostly fine -- other than buffing desert garri and maybe nerfing desert net a tad -- but camp npcs need a buff. It's just a camp so if players don't come to defend it ofc it should flip, but the npcs should give players the opportunity to come defend it. As it is now the x doesn't usually pop until after all the npcs are dead and the circle is up. Anet wouldn't have to make the npcs stronger to fix that, they could just make the x pop as soon as the camp is contested instead of on a thirty second delay. Either way, I think a change would benefit the mode, but it's not real high on my list of priorities . . .

DBL lords seem appropriately strong--towers can be soloed if you're strong and Keeps if you're a legend.

or garri if you can press 1 . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

DBL lords seem appropriately strong--towers can be soloed if you're strong and Keeps if you're a legend.

or garri if you can press 1 . . .

Ugh, don't remind me...

I rarely fight that guy because I play defense, but you're right...he's just a fancy potato with gimmicks that make it harder to take out attackers.

buffing the weak lords and towerwatchers would just minimize sheer steals of keeps and towers. that is so far from "let npcs do all the work", because they as for now rarely do any work at all. against unexperienced players they may get a kill or two, but only if theres no healer nearby. with three healers and no defenders, a potato group of 10 people easily kills any alpineBL keep lord and likley also still the desert ones. they are more useful but u cannot defend those with 3 against 10 in most cases.(in one case it worked with 3 against 15 at air keep, but that was a total exception and we got them by surprise - they just came back with 20 and it was pointless then)

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

Sentrys and Supply Camps are not game winning objectives, though they do contribute to the final score. No one is soloing Keep or Castle champions

@RedShark.9548 said:On the red border id say lors are too strong even, being stuck in a tiny circle that isnt passable, even with stability can mean death to a whole zerg.

4 minutes is a long time, not including how long it takes to get through outer and inner. If it took 4 minutes to take a Supply Camp a lot less would be flipping. Half the time if you can't take it before swords pop you're probably going to have to deal with minimum of one defender.

I suppose I should rephrase though, what I meant was that people soloing Keep lords is uncommon. It can happen, yes, but it's time consuming and unlikely to achieve uninterrupted unless it's off peak hours. Anything can be soloed with enough time, but by that logic, all NPC's should be buffed in such a way that they cannot be damaged unless a certain threshold of players is met, which I don't think anyone would want.

Im not sure what you are trying to tell me?Replying to the wrong post?

Imo lords should just be dmg sponges to zergs, to give defenders time to actually come defend, and not help to actually wipe a zerg, like keep lorda on red borders can do.They should offer some difficulty to small groups or solo players tho. Keeps are important objectives and should only be capped by players that know what they are doing or big groups of players.

Someone mentioned powercreep and how much faster they die now, but you also have to factor in that defenders are alot faster now, with gliding and warclaw riding.

Camps are fine as they are, make them any harder and you will kill roaming even further.

I mean i agree with you lords should be sponges on a certain level. Bosses on dessert bl have their own Theme, unique keep and a lord/Boss to match those

And to be fair i like lordroom fights more there because IT can make you seize momentums more. For example airkeep isnt 'stack on the lord with 60 so those 20 cant Harm you', how open lordroom of firekeep is (but tbh they could add a bit more lava there).

IT grants something alpine or ebg barely does; different encounters. Now its basicly who hits the most accurate on placebound red circles. On airkeep Being that team and rushing to lord Will get you killed (and lord is a big factor for that).

Long story short; i wouldnt mind a tryout for different lords on alpine/ebg because they feel kitten An easy, especially since towerlord is single target damage

Its hard enough to flip a t3 keep with defenders inside, these lords make it almost impossible, if the defenders have about the same numbers. No amount of personal skill or strategy will change that, if you cloud at the boss, you are an easy target for the enemy zerg, if you stack at the boss you will get caught in the circle and be an easy target for the enemy zerg.

Pve shouldnt have an impact on the outcome of 2 big blobs fighting, it should only impact small fights.

@RedShark.9548 said:

Sentrys and Supply Camps are not game winning objectives, though they do contribute to the final score. No one is soloing Keep or Castle champions

@RedShark.9548 said:On the red border id say lors are too strong even, being stuck in a tiny circle that isnt passable, even with stability can mean death to a whole zerg.

4 minutes is a long time, not including how long it takes to get through outer and inner. If it took 4 minutes to take a Supply Camp a lot less would be flipping. Half the time if you can't take it before swords pop you're probably going to have to deal with minimum of one defender.

I suppose I should rephrase though, what I meant was that people soloing Keep lords is uncommon. It can happen, yes, but it's time consuming and unlikely to achieve uninterrupted unless it's off peak hours. Anything can be soloed with enough time, but by that logic, all NPC's should be buffed in such a way that they cannot be damaged unless a certain threshold of players is met, which I don't think anyone would want.

Imo lords should just be dmg sponges to zergs, to give defenders time to actually come defend, and not help to actually wipe a zerg, like keep lorda on red borders can do.They should offer some difficulty to small groups or solo players tho. Keeps are important objectives and should only be capped by players that know what they are doing or big groups of players.

Someone mentioned powercreep and how much faster they die now, but you also have to factor in that defenders are alot faster now, with gliding and warclaw riding.

Camps are fine as they are, make them any harder and you will kill roaming even further.

I mean i agree with you lords should be sponges on a certain level. Bosses on dessert bl have their own Theme, unique keep and a lord/Boss to match those

And to be fair i like lordroom fights more there because IT can make you seize momentums more. For example airkeep isnt 'stack on the lord with 60 so those 20 cant Harm you', how open lordroom of firekeep is (but tbh they could add a bit more lava there).

IT grants something alpine or ebg barely does; different encounters. Now its basicly who hits the most accurate on placebound red circles. On airkeep Being that team and rushing to lord Will get you killed (and lord is a big factor for that).

Long story short; i wouldnt mind a tryout for different lords on alpine/ebg because they feel kitten An easy, especially since towerlord is single target damage

Its hard enough to flip a t3 keep with defenders inside, these lords make it almost impossible, if the defenders have about the same numbers. No amount of personal skill or strategy will change that, if you cloud at the boss, you are an easy target for the enemy zerg, if you stack at the boss you will get caught in the circle and be an easy target for the enemy zerg.

Pve shouldnt have an impact on the outcome of 2 big blobs fighting, it should only impact small fights.

Not sure if i understand what you mean by smallscale and largescale here ...and especially WHY IT needs pve

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

Not sure if i understand what you mean by smallscale and largescale here ...and especially WHY IT needs pve

A lord is pve... One that interfereces with the wvw player vs player combat.

A small group, like 1-10 ppl should have difficulties taking it WHEN 1-10 ppl defend it.Big groups, like 50 man fullblobs shouldnt be phased by the lord, especially, when fighting another 50 man zerg, that has shorter ways to come back

@RedShark.9548 said:

A small group, like 1-10 ppl should have difficulties taking it WHEN 1-10 ppl defend it.

Big groups, like 50 man fullblobs shouldnt be phased by the lord, especially, when fighting another 50 man zerg, that has shorter ways to come back

Hmmm? That sounds rather wierd...kinda contradicting to the nature of the beast, smallscale allready demands more tactical insight at a certain point then largescale. Especially if you relying more on the 'single' mind instead of the singular

Kind of weird that people seem to want WvW to just become another PvP with "more OP builds". I dislike PvE in WvW from the point of view of siege, walls and doors, but as for guards and lords its barely existent. I'd say even eliminate doors and just let NPCs defend, but ArenaNet would never do that because then all of their precious siege they've built WvW to depend on would no longer have a purpose.

I'd much rather spend my time hitting a semi-intelligent guard than an immobile structure piece.

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

A small group, like 1-10 ppl should have difficulties taking it WHEN 1-10 ppl defend it.

Big groups, like 50 man fullblobs shouldnt be phased by the lord, especially, when fighting another 50 man zerg, that has shorter ways to come back

Hmmm? That sounds rather wierd...kinda contradicting to the nature of the beast, smallscale allready demands more tactical insight at a certain point then largescale. Especially if you relying more on the 'single' mind instead of the singular

Contradicting what exactly? The role of the lord should be slowing down the cap speed during low pop hours, but it shouldn't be an upscaling raid boss for the zerg, at which point it should shift more towards mass pvp aspect of the wvw.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

Contradicting what exactly? The role of the lord should be slowing down the cap speed during low pop hours, but it shouldn't be an upscaling raid boss for the zerg, at which point it should shift more towards mass pvp aspect of the wvw.

And whats PVP without a little circumstancial strategy? There's always An option for open field fighting if you like. Secondly small scale been gutted to favor the zerg, which been favored on so many occasions last years in updates its actually crazy. But if you insist kid:

I see 3 things happening if the lord gets 'harder' for small scale

1. A strong 50 man zerg balling on the lord and cant be touched since support goes to the ones that need IT (most skills)
  2. A 10 man group struggling to get the right coordination out to kill the lord and the players
  3. A small havock group that gets inside need to kill in An x amount of time before the zerg responds

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

And whats PVP without a little circumstancial strategy? There's always An option for open field fighting if you like. Secondly small scale been gutted to favor the zerg, which been favored on so many occasions last years in updates its actually crazy. But if you insist kid:

I see 3 things happening if the lord gets 'harder' for small scale
  1. A strong 50 man zerg balling on the lord and cant be touched since support goes to the ones that need IT (most skills)
  2. A 10 man group struggling to get the right coordination out to kill the lord and the players
  3. A small havock group that gets inside need to kill in An x amount of time before the zerg responds

I never said that lords should become harder. Alpine lords are fine, red border lords are too much.

I qant it for smaller groups to be a challenge because keeps shouldnt be easy for small groups, those are objectives that, if not sneaked, should be taken by large forces.

Its easy to find a small group to attack a keep, so it should be harder for them to take.But its relatively hard to find 50 organized ppl to attack, so it should be easier for them to take it.

And 50 ppl vs 50 ppl takes enough strategy (even tho alot of ppl on the forum tend to say otherwise, but its my opinion) that there doesnt need to be some npcs kittening you up. Especially while being attacked from every side and having your opponents constantly running back with their warclaw after you killed them, and your dead ppl having longer distances to walk and most likely having to open the gates again.

Both Tower and Keep Lords on DBL can easily be solo'ed and from my observation groups take them out with minimal effort. Alpine Keep Lords seem the Strongest. I would be in favor of making all npc stronger especially the support guards/scouts and other lower rank npc. But seeing as Iron Guard tactics were taken from camps due to them being too hard to solo with it, it's doubtful it will happen. Used to be guards would rezz fallen players, wonder why that was changed.

@witcher.3197 said:I'm not asking for Anet to add raidbosses or increase PvE drastically in WvW.

It's just that sentries, camps, lords etc have barely been touched since the release of the game and thus couldn't keep up with powercreep whatsoever. On deadeye for example I can solo a sentry in roughly 3 seconds.

For comparison Anet has buffed NPCs on sPvP maps such as Foefire because the guild lord (a potentially gamewinning objective) was getting soloed in a matter of seconds after all the powercreep. WvW NPCs exist for a reason, but they've become a joke.

So what do you think? Yay or nay? Why or why not?

You are correct. I have been asking myself the exact questions for years and would think Anet would realize it. I do find it a joke but seriously, why would Anet not realize it during all the Toxic increase?

Sure the Npc are computer generated without feelings but seriously, they are there for a reason and do have an impact in the environment,..so why not give them value?

That is the problem with the game design, there is no value whatsoever

No worth, No meaning, No potential, No focus, No clear direction, No clear decisions, No learning, No Appreciation, No reflection, None whatsoever

Absolutely None!!

At least give NPCS a chance to defend themselves

NET lord is easy if you don’t bring Condi. Power builds melt him

• 2 weeks later...