Playing with a controller

I'm a returning player coming back to the game after a long absence. Back in 2012 I briefly attempted to use Xpadder to play GW2 with a controller but ended up sticking with the keyboard and mouse. I don't think the action cam option was available back then.

Since upgrading my main PC to current gen specs i'm getting back into gaming and have fond memories of Guild Wars 2.

I'm now using reWASD as my key mapper and it is honestly REALLY good with the ability to map long press and double tap actions.

I'm finding that using the controller is a lot of fun as I level a new Character (Ranger currently level 14).

Here is my actual question - Are there veteran players successfully using a controller at level 80 to participate in end game content? I'd hate to play my way to 80 just to find that the habits I build with the controller put me at a disadvantage.

Thanks in advance for any insight you my be able to share.

I highly doubt it. It works fine for low levels when you pretty much got 5 weapon skills on that one favorite mob killer weapon to use and dont need to bother with anything else or even dodge.

When you get 5 weapon skills, 5 regular skills, 5 F skills, weaponswap, stow weapon, dodge, jump, mounts, template keys, the need to possibly manually swap skills (portals), etc and so on you will quickly run out of controller buttons unless you want to do up up down down left right left right B A combos just to use your elite skill.

And thats not even counting cleaning out the inventory every 10 minutes due to all the god damn bag in bags.

yes, I play raids and T4 fractals with the controller. I am usally able to hit decent dps..and when I don't, its because I'm just tired.

I also play pvp, but I've never played that well.

The main difficulty I have with controller is fast targetting, this isn't often a problem tho.

I have all 15 skills mapped, including special action key, various targeting options, most used mounts, map, hero panel, pick up loot, bags, jump and dogde, weopon swap...probablu something I'm not thinking ofI use an abox elite pro controller.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:I highly doubt it. It works fine for low levels when you pretty much got 5 weapon skills on that one favorite mob killer weapon to use and dont need to bother with anything else or even dodge.

When you get 5 weapon skills, 5 regular skills, 5 F skills, weaponswap, stow weapon, dodge, jump, mounts, template keys, the need to possibly manually swap skills (portals), etc and so on you will quickly run out of controller buttons unless you want to do up up down down left right left right B A combos just to use your elite skill.

And thats not even counting cleaning out the inventory every 10 minutes due to all the god kitten bag in bags.

No offense..but you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to controller mapping.

I use shift, alt and ctrl as mapped buttons, so I can do shift + button etc.I also use double tap for some mounts.

thats it. I don't use mad configuration or "fighting game combos"

And I have no bother sorting inventory.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:I highly doubt it. It works fine for low levels when you pretty much got 5 weapon skills on that one favorite mob killer weapon to use and dont need to bother with anything else or even dodge.

And thats not even counting cleaning out the inventory every 10 minutes due to all the god kitten bag in bags.

No offense..but you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to controller mapping.

I use shift, alt and ctrl as mapped buttons, so I can do shift + button etc.I also use double tap for some mounts.

thats it. I don't use mad configuration or "fighting game combos"

And I have no bother sorting inventory.

This is essentially what I do as well. Shift, Control, and alt combo's. the long press and short press options are also great for things like Jump and dodge.

I still have access to the mouse and keyboard for the interface / map / inventory stuff

• 1 month later...