Eater of Souls fight is too difficult.

Bloodtau.4672

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It’s a mechanic taught in the story just just like how you suggested using CC should be taught in the story. I thought my post was pretty clear on that.And it's about as succesful as teaching a ranger how to use weapon skill skill nr 5 with a longbow (Barrage) and then expecting them to learn from it how to cc using Hilt Bash, when they have switched to GS.

Teaching someone how to use a specific skill slot does exactly nothing when the skill in that slot gets changed to something else, with completely different effect.

Which wouldn’t be the case with CC....exactly the point i was making from the very beginning.

If you haven't noticed, i wasn't arguing against the need to teach players to use CC. What i was arguing with was this:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Using the special action key has been required in story instances before but how many people actually use it when it’s available in the open world?

I'm glad that i could bring you back to my opinion that you can't use special action key mechanic as an example for how succesful teaching CC might end up.

• Confused 1

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It’s a mechanic taught in the story just just like how you suggested using CC should be taught in the story. I thought my post was pretty clear on that.And it's about as succesful as teaching a ranger how to use weapon skill skill nr 5 with a longbow (Barrage) and then expecting them to learn from it how to cc using Hilt Bash, when they have switched to GS.

Teaching someone how to use a specific skill slot does exactly nothing when the skill in that slot gets changed to something else, with completely different effect.

Which wouldn’t be the case with CC....exactly the point i was making from the very beginning.

If you haven't noticed, i wasn't arguing against the need to teach players to use CC. What i was arguing with was this:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Using the special action key has been required in story instances before but how many people actually use it when it’s available in the open world?

I'm glad that i could bring you back to my opinion that you
can't
use special action key mechanic as an example for how succesful teaching CC might end up.

The special action key example was made to show that people don’t look to use it when it’s available. In most cases, you use it right away. The only cases when you don’t is in specific raids (e.g. sab, sloth, etc).

Oh t’s a mechanic that’s taught in a story instance just like how someone was saying how using CC should be used to break defiance bars. While it may not be a 100% complete match, it is still a very applicable comparison.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:The special action key example was made to show that people don’t look to use it when it’s available. In most cases, you use it right away. The only cases when you don’t is in specific raids (e.g. sab, sloth, etc).You might want to actually recheck this, because this is simply not true. I can point you towards several cases of special key use in the story when you either not use it right away (and need to wait for a specific moment instead), or it serves some completely other function (like, for example, switching between your weapon and additional skill set).

Someone who learned special action key use from PoF story will have no idea how to use them in other places (or at least no better idea than someone that didn;t do the story beforehand).

• Confused 1

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:The special action key example was made to show that people don’t look to use it when it’s available. In most cases, you use it right away. The only cases when you don’t is in specific raids (e.g. sab, sloth, etc).You might want to actually recheck this, because this is simply not true. I can point you towards several cases of special key use in the story when you either not use it right away (and need to wait for a specific moment instead), or it serves some completely other function (like, for example, switching between your weapon and additional skill set).

Someone who learned special action key use from PoF story will have no idea how to use them in other places (or at least no better idea than someone that didn;t do the story beforehand).

Regardless, its usage is taught in a story instance.

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Regardless, its usage is taught in a story instance.If by "usage" you mean "you can click/hotkey it, and some effect will happen", then you're right. Same as with my example of "usage" of "weapon skill number 5".The problem is, that doesn't actually teach anyone anything important beyond the most basic: "you use skills, stuff happens"

• Confused 1

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Regardless, its usage is taught in a story instance.If by "usage" you mean "you can click/hotkey it, and some effect will happen", then you're right. Same as with my example of "usage" of "weapon skill number 5".The problem is, that doesn't actually teach anyone anything important beyond the most basic: "you use skills, stuff happens"

Which isn’t the scope of my post. Could Anet do better? Absolutely!

• 6 months later...

@Suinz.5968 said:

@elrin.4750 said:Unfortunately, hard content/mechanic will always benefits the hardcore player or the casual who are natually good at games. I don't understand why ArenaNet just not use different modes:
  • Easy mode for those who just wants to go through the story
  • Normal mode for the way Anet designed it
  • Hard mode for those who live their life in GW2 (and award a cool gear, title or something )

I bet this is not hard to implement, so why not just go with this.

Waste of development time. This is a learn to play issue. The fight is simple. Attack him until you see the circle telegraph under you, and run away from him ASAP so he can't use his health drain. Rinse and repeat. Killed him in less than 2 minutes on my Tempest.

Not very considerate of players who don't have the same capabilities, some people play for fun and aren't very good, or some just try to get through the story so they can get certain things, i.e the griffon mount. Not at all a 'waste of development time' when there's plenty of players who could benefit from it. Not everyone is a complete badass in the game, and that's ok. This shouldn't be such a pain in the ass boss, as it obviously is for so many.

@QueenSaga.4876 said:

@elrin.4750 said:Unfortunately, hard content/mechanic will always benefits the hardcore player or the casual who are natually good at games. I don't understand why ArenaNet just not use different modes:
  • Easy mode for those who just wants to go through the story
  • Normal mode for the way Anet designed it
  • Hard mode for those who live their life in GW2 (and award a cool gear, title or something )

I bet this is not hard to implement, so why not just go with this.

Waste of development time. This is a learn to play issue. The fight is simple. Attack him until you see the circle telegraph under you, and run away from him ASAP so he can't use his health drain. Rinse and repeat. Killed him in less than 2 minutes on my Tempest.

Not very considerate of players who don't have the same capabilities, some people play for fun and aren't very good, or some just try to get through the story so they can get certain things, i.e the griffon mount. Not at all a 'waste of development time' when there's plenty of players who could benefit from it. Not everyone is a complete kitten in the game, and that's ok. This shouldn't be such a pain in the kitten boss, as it obviously is for so many.How is it obvious? The forums represent a very small minority of the player base and many in this thread have not had problems with this story step, even before it was nerfed. I, too, believe it is a learn to play issue having defeated this boss both before and after the nerf. As a very casual player, sure I had my struggles but once I learned the boss' attack patterns it was pretty easy.

@QueenSaga.4876 said:Not very considerate of players who don't have the same capabilities, some people play for fun and aren't very good, or some just try to get through the story so they can get certain things, i.e the griffon mount.Why is a player entitled to an endgame reward like the griffon mount if they cannot pass a skill check?Not at all a 'waste of development time' when there's plenty of players who could benefit from it. Not everyone is a complete kitten in the game, and that's ok. This shouldn't be such a pain in the kitten boss, as it obviously is for so many.I'm not saying your feedback is off base for you, but seeing this thread or any forum thread as supporting your argument is bad logic.This community complains about everything regardless of how baseless those complaints are.This forum complains about being gated behind group activities for missions that scale to a solo player.This forum complains about giveaways.

It is a tough mission for some people. If you want a little help send me a message ingame and I will look at your build for you and maybe offer some suggestions.

• 1 year later...

Don't remember anymore what I did as warrior, as rev (herald) I switched between dragon and dwarf stance and weapons: sword/sword. Close combat. Tried ranged first but that was too much of a hassle.

I only used dragon for casting all the buffs and ending them right after and then back to dwarf (stronger healing skill) for Vengeful Hammers. If they ran out, back to dragon and so on.

Evaded the skills with circle on the bottom and ate the direct hits. My rev has power, toughness, vitality stats; not the big damage dealer.

Managed first try without big troubles.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Don't remember anymore what I did as warrior, as rev (herald) I switched between dragon and dwarf stance and weapons: sword/sword. Close combat. Tried ranged first but that was too much of a hassle.

I only used dragon for casting all the buffs and ending them right after and then back to dwarf (stronger healing skill) for Vengeful Hammers. If they ran out, back to dragon and so on.

Evaded the skills with circle on the bottom and ate the direct hits. My rev has power, toughness, vitality stats; not the big damage dealer.

Managed first try without big troubles.

Well, given that the thread first appeared in 2017, and since then the boss has been nerfed some, im not surprised you had no issues.

Very good necro though, considering the last reply was also over a year ago. xd

• Thanks 2

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, aluxe.5863 said:

Runing aroun the Jokos Jail   was the solution for me ..  I did it in 1:40 as elementalist   🙂    (he keeps fighting the elementals ) and I take distance once he stop  chasing me 

Thanks for the strategy.  Kiting, utilizing line-of-sight, and of course minions for distraction (if your class has access to them) are all viable strategies that can come in handy!  Whatever gets the job done, right?

Having said that, the gimmick of this fight appears to be a simple breakbar and burn.  So, PSA for any new players who may be struggling with this boss:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defiance_bar

Example of Eaters of Souls done via breakbar & burn strategy.

• Thanks 1