Big Update News!

Svarty.8019

(517584747)News regarding the Big Update.

On the livestream 5th Dec 2019, Dev Cal talked a bit about the upcoming Big Update...

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/517584747

At 29 minutes, Cal talks about the Big Balance patch that's coming.

"Damage numbers will definitely come down, that is a a guarantee [..] there will definitely be healing reductions as well". He justifies a big patch with lots of messy problems very well.

At 1 hour 11mins Cal talks about CAST TIMES. "We can't have instant cast CC, we can't have instant cast large damage".

"increasing cast time on CCs is something we're very much looking at".

"Skills that do too many things at once [..] definitely problematic".

"In terms of CC in general one of the things we're looking at, the thing we just did with Rampage this patch for PvP where all of the CC -all the hard CCs now just do a trivial amount of damage - and I think that's a really interesting direction for the entire game moving forward and it's something that we want to try for the Big Update is making ALL hard CCs have a trivial amount of damage, cuz then it creates a more interesting decision of like, 'do I want to face tank it and then stunbreak, or do I want to dodge it, avoid the CC?', as opposed to like, 'This skill's just going to destroy me if I don't dodge it'. "

I am excited, but also very worried about this. Worried about how cheesy disengage builds will become even stronger if my Bull's Charge, if it ever goes through to hit them at all, doesn't take half their health anymore. I just hope low damage builds aren't getting shafted by this.

"Skills that do too many things at once [..] definitely problematic".

So pretty much every Guardian skill. In particular they better be looking at nuking Eternal Oasis down to the level of the new Devouring Darkness, aka, cleansing 1 boon on 5 allies, as opposed to cleansing 5 boons on 5 allies. That is the very first change they need to make above and beyond all else.

Sounds like they know what the problems are..... and what steps that need to be made to straighten things in a right direction... but we'll see...Cal looks like a no nonsense hard to impress kind of guy.

7mins Playing on YB, Cal on warrior, Raymond on guard, 3 omega rush an empty t3 garri.13mins talking about lunch being code name for lunch18mins talks about leek soup instead of leaks19mins takes nwt with 4 golems no resistance21mins talks about no down state being well received but wouldn't want it permanent, next one maybe in april..... (that long?)24mins net defenders show up27mins no news on alliances, will probably come in a blog post in forums28mins Cal starts talking about upcoming balance process31mins damage numbers will definitely come down32mins healing reduction will also be looked at38mins Cal talks about balancing for all levels of skill41mins jumps to desert bl, gets really boring after this just ppting...1hr seasons were something they were ages ago were talking about after alliance went live1hr7mins starts talking about balance again1hr11mins mentions some cast times increasing on some skills like cc's1hr13mins skills doing too much is problematic1hr22mins talks about balance again, initial balance pass will involve a lot of nerfs skill splits in numbers1hr26mins finally get into a zerg fight in ebg durios

Anybody thought it odd that there wasn't an enemy response to their Capture of Bay & Garrison?

They casually walked...no mesmer portals...like a boss...across an open field while being observed by an enemy standing in the Home player's Ruins at (8:33) to get to the SW Garrison gate.

They breached 2 Fortified Gates of Garrison while only fighting NPC.

It was kind of hilarious to see the [ Repel the Enemy Attackers ] pop-up warning at (14:55) after they just finished capping Garrison right in succession after capping Bay.

ANet must really be charmed when assaulting a Fortified Enemy Garrison after also capturing Bay while streaming, or WvW really is PvE.

Yours truly,Diku

Credibility requires critical insight & time.

@Diku.2546 said:Anybody thought it odd that there wasn't an enemy response to their Capture of Bay & Garrison?

They casually walked...no mesmer portals...like a boss...across an open field while being observed by an enemy standing in the Home player's Ruins at (8:33) to get to the SW Garrison gate.

They breached 2 Fortified Gates of Garrison while only fighting NPC.

It was kind of hilarious to see the [ Repel the Enemy Attackers ] pop-up warning at (14:55) after they just finished capping Garrison right in succession after capping Bay.

ANet must really be charmed when assaulting a Fortified Enemy Garrison after also capturing Bay while streaming, or WvW really is PvE.

Yours truly,Diku

The one time they joined my guild run we were constantly bombed and brigaded by enemy players who were clearly watching the stream and started hunting us down lol No ez caps, but lots of fights around our Keeps.

While you are at it maybe have a look @ how players can be affected by cc chains... like perma stun ... stun (and maybe all other cc) should get a rework... once stunned (uses stunbrak), stuned again, then some time (idk maybe 1-2 seconds) players should not be able to be stunned again.. so (nearly) perma cc (like pistol whip spam for example or some warrior builds or what else) won't be a thing anymore..?! Just thinking.. :)And thanks for the update ;)

i noticed on the last section when they started talking about fights - i feel they should join coms sometimes and gather data. because it's different to play as pugs not in coms and as a decent organized team in coms. :) i mean anet can make their own 5 man team to roam and do stuff to check it out.

@"Blocki.4931" said:The one time they joined my guild run we were constantly bombed and brigaded by enemy players who were clearly watching the stream and started hunting us down lol No ez caps, but lots of fights around our Keeps.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience hosting ANet during their "Live Stream" event.

WvW is an online war game & I think it's a bad idea to "Live Stream" your military operations for enemies to pick up on.

Maybe there should be a delay to the streaming content by an hour to help prevent the active bombing & hunting of ANet in real time?

ANet might already be doing a delay in streaming their content...so the above comment might be incorrect...in which case I apologize

Didn't mean to offend you...just wanted to point out that it was pretty odd...that these WvW Objectives were captured on "Live Stream"...without an Enemy Response until they started attacking NW Tower. It's unfortunate that when ANet streamed while you were the Host...there was a Substantial number of Enemies wanting to Respond. Maybe nowadays...not so much anymore.

Seriously...

Of course it's not all a bed of roses...after observing the rez death at (38:03)...which often happens when you care for your fellow squad member.

I'd really like to see them talk more about How they Plan on Hosting Healthy Competitive Match-Ups with Tournaments to be the real reason players return to play the WvW game mode that needs to be Wholesome in nature & avoids/reduces player Burn-Out.

Yours truly,Diku

@primatos.5413 said:While you are at it maybe have a look @ how players can be affected by cc chains... like perma stun ... stun (and maybe all other cc) should get a rework... once stunned (uses stunbrak), stuned again, then some time (idk maybe 1-2 seconds) players should not be able to be stunned again.. so (nearly) perma cc (like pistol whip spam for example or some warrior builds or what else) won't be a thing anymore..?! Just thinking.. :)And thanks for the update ;)

Im absolutely against this, this might be good in zergfights, but in 1v1s there are just so many stunbreaks going around.

For this reason hammer on warrior is almost not viable anymore in spvp and duels, because since hot and pof everybody just farts out stab and stunbreaks.

Im happy to see the direction they are going, but having no dmg on any cc?Hope they are compensating for it, atleast for some skills, i mean just take a look at backbreaker hammer 5 from warrior.Imagine casting a singletarget skill with 1sec casttime, meleerange and no damage, that only cc's, and is negated by a single stunbreak or stability and also has 25s cooldown.

It's a good learning experience for the devs to feel real frustration that New Players experience & what it takes to get over it.

How can we explain this frustration to New players to WvW that are forced into a Match-Up where they end up being cannon fodder for the winning team to chew on? The devs in the video was on a team scoring 150-200 WvW points...so they weren't exactly starving.

Our current Fixed 3-Way Fight Model will always end up being manipulated by smart veteran players that want to stack for the win.

World Linking or Alliance Linking...it's going to end up the same way. Manipulated by veteran players.

Players that desperately figure out How to Stack on the "better" team.

Players that fail to get on the "better" team...will need to chose between being a punching bag, or to quit playing until they can get on the "better" team.

We need a better Fight Model & not a better Team Creation Mechanic.

Instead the WvW ecosystem should allow for different niches of play-style...which would solve a lot of harsh frustration...by allowing players to pick the level of fight ability of players you're likely to go up against. The higher up you go in the pyramid....that more challenging the game mode...the lower you go...the less challenging & more slower paced the play-style should be.

Players should be allowed to pick which level they want to fight in, but will need to deal with a long waiting queue for picking popular choices....similar to what happens when you go out to dinner & pick a very trendy restaurant, local bar, or plain family restaurant.

Priorities....sigh...gotta love going in circles

As far as the Big Update...great...Reduce Damage & Change Buff Numbers.

What happens when nobody can kill each other?

Will we end up having more epic 3 way dances going back & forth over objectives for longer periods of time?

I'm trying to imagine West Side Story with the gangs armed with KFC Sporks.

Extreme model of this...hmm...wonder if this might work?

1. Damage between Player vs Player = OFF
  2. Damage between Player vs NPC = ON
  3. Players can ONLY fight & damage NPC
  4. Focus Shifts to Players Attacking NPC Only
  5. WvW turns into a Race to Capture Objectives

Is this really what we want?

Yours truly,Diku

One can only hope that in the cast time department they have a look at most of necromancers horrible cast times that make no sense as flesh worm being a stun break that needs to be pre set. makes no sense as many other 1s cast times for the class with lowest stability in the game or damagedenials.