[Suggestion] Stop making Story Bosses Hard (LS4 Spoilers)

The only way to make sure absolutely noone is going to complain about the difficulty is to turn all encounters into cutscenes, cutscenes which require you to press buttons occasionally to make you feel like you are actually playing but without any consequences whatsoever. Oh, and you need to be able to just skip these cutscenes to instantly "win". Maybe sell an "instant win" button on the cash shop...

On serious note: They seem to prefer to go for reasonably easy encounters instead, to actually retain at least some gameplay and I say reasonably to not offend anyone because they are certainly rather easy. Wouldn't mind if we went for less "tedious and boring" over "more easy" in the future.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Josiah.2967 said:Was this nerfed? I finally got around to doing the story. I have now one shot this boss on two melee toons. The first time I beat him, I assumed it wasn't the boss the forums were talking about...

Are you talking about eater of souls?Then yes it was nerfed hard but is still to hard for the lowest skilled players.

Got it... The only fight I would remove is Scruffy.A.) It is not funB.) The fight is a plot hole

@Josiah.2967 said:

@Josiah.2967 said:Was this nerfed? I finally got around to doing the story. I have now one shot this boss on two melee toons. The first time I beat him, I assumed it wasn't the boss the forums were talking about...

Are you talking about eater of souls?Then yes it was nerfed hard but is still to hard for the lowest skilled players.

Got it... The only fight I would remove is Scruffy.A.) It is not funB.) The fight is a plot hole

How is it a plot hole?

It’s also an easy fight if not going for the achievement.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

How is it a plot hole?

Scruffy is only vulnerable to one thing. Dragons are no match for Scruffy.

@"kharmin.7683" said:Where I have an issue is with the calls to change the difficulty for other content in the game.

Same, that's why threads like this one are confusing as they call to change the difficulty of the game's story. The thing is, at least in the recent parts of this thread regarding the Icebrood Saga story difficulty, there is a "call", if you want to call it that, to keep the difficulty as it was for the last 7 years. Not to increase it, but rather to stop decreasing it. There is an alarming trend in the last two episodes of the Icebrood Saga (Prologue and Episode 1) of making story instances walking simulators and I really wish Arenanet reconsiders this for their future episodes.

@thepenmonster.3621 said:The story bosses are tedious as hell for numerous reasons and are infuriating when they bug. Keep the mechanics, lower the health, have the cc of the adds not last two hours a shot, Bob's yer uncle.

Story bosses already phase in one dps rotation. How fast are they supposed to die. The problem is that so many players run no dps garbage builds. Its impossible to balance when a proper power chrono can do 600k damage in like 20sec and a power shortbow ranger needs 4min+ for that.

@Josiah.2967 said:

How is it a plot hole?

That’s a very big leap to make that assumption.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

How is it a plot hole?

Do the fight again. You will see.

@Josiah.2967 said:

How is it a plot hole?

Do the fight again. You will see.

I watched a video of it the other day. You’re still making a very big leap with that assumption. It’s along the same line as making the assumption that the only way to defeat Zhaitan was with cannons.

@Murtos.5342 said:

@"SexyMofo.8923" said:NONE of the pve story bosses are hard. I repeat: NONE. I am a solo player and I don’t recall needed help on any of them.

Then you are very fortunate to have the skill and ability to manage them by yourself. Not everyone possesses such level skill or ability.

This in my opinion.. And from talking to my guild in discord many others do not pass it either, a few ladies in discord never even leave core tyria.

Are these players also the reason why my trash exotics from raids with terrible dire, knights, rabid, magi stat combos sell?

Maybe start there and get them an actual build in pve and a lot of the difficulty goes away. When enemies die before they can even attack, theres no difficulty to speak of.

quite hard if you are playing thief and cant deal enough damage solo without ascended gear to get the story done fast enough (additionally to thief lacking damage and CC in every possible way compared to "hundred blades spamming warriors" or anything else with tons of damage)

oh right shouldnt speak about thief.... is just the only class to have seen only a single buff since the release of the game ^^

That's a lie. I play core and Daredevil thief in full Zerk without issues. Exotics. We call these issues excuses, not actual reasons.

@Nephalem.8921 said:

@thepenmonster.3621 said:The story bosses are tedious as hell for numerous reasons and are infuriating when they bug. Keep the mechanics, lower the health, have the cc of the adds not last two hours a shot, Bob's yer uncle.

Story bosses already phase in one dps rotation. How fast are they supposed to die. The problem is that so many players run no dps garbage builds. Its impossible to balance when a proper power chrono can do 600k damage in like 20sec and a power shortbow ranger needs 4min+ for that.

i mean a condi SB ranger doesnt do that much DPS either...

@Dante.1763 said:

Condi sb ranger does plenty of damage for story purposes. It has higher ramp up time but you should still expect to get decent clear speeds. In raid scenarios condi sb benches at 30k dps which is plenty to fly through story.

@Shikaru.7618 said:

Condi sb ranger does plenty of damage for story purposes. It has higher ramp up time but you should still expect to get decent clear speeds. In raid scenarios condi sb benches at 30k dps which is plenty to fly through story.

you cant really flank solo which lowers sb dps quite a lot. would just go power raid slb with stab stance. burst does so much damage that story should be easy

I find the story bosses to be generally easy. As solo player you can sometimes struggle but thats usually because you don't know the mechanics yet or you don't apply skills that can help you (like CC, dodge/block). Usually this doesn't make you fail a boss but just lets it go on longer. NPC's even res you/help you or even do the fight fully automatic solo if you just stand and watch. Making use of the surroundings also helps a big deal very often (get out of line of sight behind a pillar, grab things on floor that do CC, etc). And if you really struggle you can ask up to 4 other players for a hand. All bosses seem to be develloped to clear as solo player (CM mode apart). Everything is possible with exotic items without runes/sigils, without foods/enhancements and without actually having a good build setup. Dungeons, Fractals, Raids and Strike Missions does need you to step up your game a bit and may not be for everyone but it is not content where you will loose out on something (apart from achievements). I am sure there are players that say they cannot do such content as they feel like they can't while they have never actually tried it out and I am sure that there will be players among this group that can actually do such content (even if its story mode dungeons and t1 fractals or beginner strike (grothmar/wintersday festival one in example)... But such instanced content you simply do not solo, you do with a team of players.

@Nephalem.8921 said:

you cant really flank solo which lowers sb dps quite a lot. would just go power raid slb with stab stance. burst does so much damage that story should be easy

Its easy on Condi SB too. I never see more than 16-17k DPS(no matter the mode) if i try really hard to obtain that though, so it does take -very slightly longer- to kill something.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:What I have absolutely zero empathy for is the feeling that some of the above individuals have, namely that their level of gameplay should somehow set the standard for discussion...

This is the correct take.

@Ashantara.8731 said:I am an old school pen & paper role-player

Hey! Me too!

and there is no real adventure without epic fights.

Long fights were the least enjoyable aspect of playing for me so I tune out when it happens. Great time to do some drawing. As the snarky saying goes: I'm a role-player not a roll-player.

But here's the thing- If I spent all of my time telling the roll-players they're doing it wrong they would have every right to think I'm an ass and not want to play with me because (Are you ready to have your mind blown?) I was being an ass who was always telling them they're playing wrong.

This is also why no one wants to leave open world and go play raids, PvP and fractals with all of you. Not that they're lazy carebear players. Because you guys, self-appointed representatives of those modes and champions of harder mobs, always behave like unappealing playmates.

@thepenmonster.3621 said:

@voltaicbore.8012 said:What I have absolutely zero empathy for is the feeling that some of the above individuals have, namely that
their
level of gameplay should somehow set the standard for discussion...

Hey! Me too!

Long fights were the least enjoyable aspect of playing for me so I tune out when it happens. Great time to do some drawing. As the snarky saying goes: I'm a
role
-player not a
roll
-player.

But here's the thing- If I spent all of my time telling the
roll
-players they're doing it wrong they would have every right to think I'm an kitten and not want to play with me because (Are you ready to have your mind blown?) I was being and kitten who was always telling them they're playing wrong.

This is also why no one wants to leave open world and go play raids, PvP and fractals with all of you. Not that they're lazy carebear players. Because you guys, self-appointed representatives of those modes and champions of harder mobs, always behave like unappealing playmates.

Unappealing slices both ways. When Newbies join these game modes, are asked to change to adapt to the game mode, but they refuse to abide by the team, that makes them the unappealing playmate who then goes on to broadcast how toxic raiders are.

@Shikaru.7618 said:

@voltaicbore.8012 said:What I have absolutely zero empathy for is the feeling that some of the above individuals have, namely that
their
level of gameplay should somehow set the standard for discussion...

Hey! Me too!

Long fights were the least enjoyable aspect of playing for me so I tune out when it happens. Great time to do some drawing. As the snarky saying goes: I'm a
role
-player not a
roll
-player.

But here's the thing- If I spent all of my time telling the
roll
-players they're doing it wrong they would have every right to think I'm an kitten and not want to play with me because (Are you ready to have your mind blown?) I was being and kitten who was always telling them they're playing wrong.

Unappealing slices both ways. When Newbies join these game modes, are asked to change to adapt to the game mode, but they refuse to abide by the team, that makes them the unappealing playmate who then goes on to broadcast how toxic raiders are.

yeah always fun when you try to raid in exotic gear just to get kicked out by those ASCENDED GEAR ONLY elitists but so many people keep saying those dont exist ^^and i dont think too many newbies gonna have ascended gear when they get to trying to do raids

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Svarty.8019" said:I mod Dragon Age Inquisition, and I'm surprised how popular the "Skip Fights" mod has been. Even story mode in that game is easy. A lot of people just want to experience the story, not be forced into some silly dance in World of Circlecraft (AGAIN!).

There are plenty of walking simulators with a story out there...

Edit: I am an old school pen & paper role-player, and there is no real adventure without epic fights. If you don't want challenging fights, don't play RPGs, MMO or otherwise.Oh, i am an old school pen & paper roleplayer as well. And you know what made those games so fun for me? The challenge was a challenge of the mind, not of the hands. So, something completely opposite of arcade games.Requiring faster reaction time and faster keypressing doesn't make the fight epic. Not to me, at least.

(completely aside, in pen & paper RPGs you very much can make a real adventure without epic fights, or without fighting at all. Some of the greatest rpg sessions i have played in included players finding a solution that made them avoid the fight, and still solve the problem)

Its a simple fix, apply a sliding difficulty bar that the player can set their desired difficulty for their own story instances. It's not like the rewards from story instances are all that amazing to start with so it doesn't really matter. Then the players who are "zomg git gud baddie" can have their "challenging" story boss to make themselves feel uber leet, and the people who want a simpler fight scenario can do so without it affecting anything else outside their solo experience.

The Witcher had a difficulty adjustment system that allowed players to play the game at a difficulty of their choosing and was heralded as one of the greatest games of all time. I see no reason that we couldn't have the same thing here if that's what would make the players happy. Being able to adjust difficulty on a SOLO instance would have no affect from one player to another. If you do it on the highest difficulty then great for you, if someone else does it on the lowest difficulty then hey great for them. One does not affect the other.