Official capes discussion thread

@"Liam Mich.4876" said:Being that this is already built into the games system, there should be no reason that they can't fix this in a patch, no? Gives me hope, at least. If not, I may request a refund for my cape, sadly. I only bought it because there was no clipping in the preview screen in the black lion store.

every other back piece will disappear when you stow a shield ontop of it - capes don't

so I'd assume they "push" the weapons away to prevent huge clip that would happen if they didn't.

preview screen in BLT doesn't take into account many things that may affect the final result.

@"FrigginPaco.4178" said:File:Cape-designer-interface.jpg

Please help me understand where this has gone Anet & friends :(

was turned into this:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Emblemcreation.jpg

@"FrigginPaco.4178" said:
File:Cape-designer-interface.jpg

was turned into this:

I say nay though!

I'm in GW1 right now, and I can change the fringe of the cape (taters, flat, crenelated, bat-like, etc) and the border designs as well (Chevron, 90's kid flame decal, random circles, fleur-de-lis, diagonal checkerboard, etc).

I don't look forward to the moment where we get a new cape for each individual shape in GW2. You basically had free reign to change your guild capes in all manner of ways.

@FrigginPaco.4178 said:

was turned into this:

I say nay though!

I'm in GW1 right now, and I can change the fringe of the cape (taters, flat, crenelated, bat-like, etc) and the border designs as well (Chevron, 90's kid flame decal, random circles, fleur-de-lis, diagonal checkerboard, etc).

I don't look forward to the moment where we get a new cape for each individual shape in GW2. You basically had free reign to change your guild capes in all manner of ways.

Allow me to elaborate to clarify my point:GW1 doesn't have guild emblem per se, GW1 guilds had only a cape - and cape editor. Cape was serving a function of an emblem - as a whole which included border designs and, fringe etc.

GW2 at it launch decided to go for Guild Emblems proper - that would be possible to display on armors and shields - and the designer window was morphed to acomodate for that paradigm shift.

That being said, a guild upgrade to allow for custom cape creation would be nice thing to have. I'm not exacly sure how difficult would it be to implement, so can't say how viable idea it is, but it would be nice to have. (Heck they could even make it into whole subtree of guild upgrades with patterns and stuff being unlockable via specific nodes - would give something for older guilds to do)

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

was turned into this:

I say nay though!

Allow me to elaborate to clarify my point:GW1 doesn't have guild emblem per se, GW1 guilds had only a cape - and cape editor. Cape was serving a function of an emblem - as a whole which included border designs and, fringe etc.

GW2 at it launch decided to go for Guild Emblems proper - that would be possible to display on armors and shields - and the designer window was morphed to acomodate for that paradigm shift.

That being said, a guild upgrade to allow for custom cape creation would be nice thing to have. I'm not exacly sure how difficult would it be to implement, so can't say how viable idea it is, but it would be nice to have. (Heck they could even make it into whole subtree of guild upgrades with patterns and stuff being unlockable via specific nodes - would give something for older guilds to do)

It would be nice to see something more come of it, that's for sure. I realize code spaghets all over the place, but you'd think this could be a relatively neato "copy + paste" from one to the other.

@"FrigginPaco.4178" said:It would be nice to see something more come of it, that's for sure. I realize code spaghets all over the place, but you'd think this could be a relatively neato "copy + paste" from one to the other.

Well one thing I can imagine being an issue in here would be whole item morphing based on repped guild - I am unsure if AN has atm tech at hand to support this - all the differences so far were limited to a piece of texture.... GW1 didn't have multi-guilding with ability to swap reps so easilly on the fly....

(hopefully tho they can get it done - they didn't have proper tech to support dyeable back pieces not so long ago either ;) )

It's doable to make a cape with your custom emblem, but they need of course to add it as a new item. Guild/gemstore capes are coded to work as they are coded. The game is such a messy code that I dunno if it will be easy to realize. Maybe adding a new tab next to the guild one, or another thing in hero pannel to edit the logo.

@hugo.4705 said:So if players want custom logo on it, it's a different mechanic/code.

just create new guild with emblem of your liking? nobody have asked about uploading png or anything in here as far as I can tell...

@hugo.4705 said:What with the rest of the cape? Explain yourself. The size?

since scrolling up is too hard nowadays ;)

And my point was specifically that current tech we are aware off only supports changing certain bit of texture based on the guild you rep, and it would require to change much more to redo the GW1 feature.

@"Fire Attunement.9835" said:Since there are a lot of cape threads in the discussion forum and a lot of good ideas being shared, we've created one central thread and merged some of the other threads to keep the conversation going in one place.

Reminder that we welcome all forms of feedback, both positive and negative, as long as it is respectful and constructive. You can check this post about providing good feedback: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/317/how-to-give-good-feedback

I think it would be best to start a new sub-forum under Guild Wars 2 Discussion called Cosmetics and Toys...everything about Capes, chairs, toys, tonics, home instance decorations, etc. goes in there.

Ok if no one will say it I will..

The cape on Asura is positioned too far down the back and should be raised (and made longer) to properly fit to the top of the shoulders. Right now it looks like someone stuck 2 thumb tacks on the back of my asura and is trying to hang a bath towel there.

@Vegeta.2563 said:Ok if no one will say it I will..

The cape on Asura is positioned too far down the back and should be raised (and made longer) to properly fit to the top of the shoulders. Right now it looks like someone stuck 2 thumb tacks on the back of my asura and is trying to hang a bath towel there.

I completely agree. Why is it so far down their back? It looks stupid.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@"Liam Mich.4876" said:So I was messing about with the camera in preview screen and noticed something with the cape and other backpacks/no backpack... weapons sit much closer to the body with nearly every other back piece than they do with capes, hence the clipping. Which leads me to ask the question... why? Why are weapons binded to the skeleton differently than with other back pieces, when it only causes clipping issues like this. As you can see, moving it back to where it would normally sit fixes the clipping for the most part.
Np305BN.png

Being that this is already built into the games system, there should be no reason that they can't fix this in a patch, no? Gives me hope, at least. If not, I may request a refund for my cape, sadly. I only bought it because there was no clipping in the preview screen in the black lion store.

more interesting: the cape from PoF dont clip with most weapons,why they simply dont used same "tech"?

I am in the same situation with you, i can feel your pain, it looks different in the preview window in the gem store, after i applied it on my backpack its another story.

@"Liam Mich.4876" said:So I was messing about with the camera in preview screen and noticed something with the cape and other backpacks/no backpack... weapons sit much closer to the body with nearly every other back piece than they do with capes, hence the clipping. Which leads me to ask the question... why? Why are weapons binded to the skeleton differently than with other back pieces, when it only causes clipping issues like this. As you can see, moving it back to where it would normally sit fixes the clipping for the most part.Np305BN.png

Being that this is already built into the games system, there should be no reason that they can't fix this in a patch, no? Gives me hope, at least. If not, I may request a refund for my cape, sadly. I only bought it because there was no clipping in the preview screen in the black lion store.

I am in the same situation with you, i can feel your pain, it looks different in the preview window in the gem store, after i applied it on my backpack its another story.

The guild cape skin is an absolute joke. Ten gold and commendations for what is a glorified baby cape/napkin with two dye channels OR drop 500 gems for a proper cape. SMH. Price too high for gemstore version and look too ridiculous for in game "earnable" one. I put that in quotes since someone in a small or dead guild with no way to easily earn commendations won't be able to easily get the guild cape either.

That being said, you're obviously getting people to buy the infernal thing so that's just going to encourage more of this behavior.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jaffawer.4932 said:Oh superb.... it took them 7 years and now they've decided to stick it in that kitten gemmie-store for 500g... a single cape style. Seriously? And there are people who are praising them for it. And of course the Guild cape is ugly af. No way to obtain unique capes through game-play, crafting, etc.

But there’s the same hope that Anet will make them obtainable outside the gem store just like mount skins and glider skins.

you mean the mount skins and glider skins you can RNG for out of a BLC that you can farm a key a week for? You mean that way? Thats not earning in game. Thats literally another revenue stream from in game gamblers.

Ok, we will have 2nd fancy cape. With fancy shapes.

But just consider something simple: long ( maybe even a single dye ), little bit torn in lower edges, starting from the top of the shoulders but not from under them. No fancy shapes like tringles or segmented like first cape. Just... long cape.

@Mbelch.9028 said:Anet is never getting another dime of my money, not unless they release a PvP expac. That said, the gem store cape was good enough that I used some of my gold to get 500 gems and purchased it.

You do realize how hypocritical that is, right? In the end, they still got their money. Because people like you, who buy gems with gold, exist, there is also people who buy gems from ArenaNet to convert them into gold themselves. So while you yourself didn't spend the money on Anet, someone else did for you. In the end, they still got another dime of your money.If you want to protest against their gemstore policy you are not allowed to purchase anything from it - not with money, not with gold. Because in the end, they still get the money. And they don't care whether they get it from Person A buying and spending the gems or from Person B buying the gems, selling them for gold to Person A and then Person A is spending them on the gemstore.