What build to fight Core Warrior in WvW?

EremiteAngel.9765

Played against a decent one.

Build can be played with Condi or power focus.

Pretty good all-rounder with insane amounts of corruptsAnd pretty good sustain

Power version:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSAFcsFaYZEMRmHTjRijqiW6F-zRRYVhnN6hTJThQoSgeFBRrAU8BJM2DvFMX2A-e

Condi version:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSAFcsFaYZEMRmHTjRiD7iW6F-zRRYVhnN6hSJzQI0Eo3II6CQ+DSQsHeLXeWB-e

If you feel like not tanky enough and don't need the Movespeed go for divinity rune instead.

Condi version was more effective against the core war I fought

One thing to keep in mind, boon corrupting the Warrior will not necessarily allow you to beat him. Most of the benefits Warriors gain are not from boons; for example by the time they have Might stacks they've already received the healing from it.

Its one of those classes that if you don't know how it works exactly, you'll have a hard time winning on any build.

The same concept as scourge before nerfs (but go core condi necro since warrior isn't quite reliant on boons), kiting with condi overload: warrior is missing ability to constantly do condi clears because it's more or less relying on "Shake it off" and removal on weapon swap up to every 5s. Rampage hasn't been nerfed in wvW though so be wary of it. Weakening Shroud is basically the main counter to power builds.

Thanks everyone for all the builds and tips!

@Nimon.7840 your build looks amazing with the new signet! I’ve not tried it but I already love the synergy behind it. Is it an attrition play style where you trade blows and out sustain the warrior?

One issue I have with warriors is that I can’t dodge all their burst where they proc Adrenal health healing. I can see that you lack stunbreaks in your build though which means they are likely landing many stuns + bursts on you that procs AH healing often. Does your build allow you to do enough damage to eat through their AH healings?

@KrHome.1920 I have the same question for you as Nimon because your build seems attrition based too. You likely have more damage but with less shroud sustain. Are you able to dodge their burst to prevent AH healing or does your build allow you to out sustain their AH healing and do enough damage to down them?

Yes that's true, it's all about attrition. The reason is that core warriors usually have (or switch to, when they encounter a reaper) double endure pain and it's wvw. So they can ignore all your damage for 10 seconds and spam everything they have. If the warrior is decent you have to eat at least half of it and need to survive that.

The massive boon corrupts are important to rip of his huge might stacks and retaliation. You hurt yourself a lot when you use ghastly claws into retaliation and you can't just wait it out because the uptime is quite high and you already have to wait out double endure pain.

The strategy is to just corrupt every boon he has to overload and slow him down with conditions so he can't just do his rotations and has to adapt (and of course to increase your crit chance: target the weak and decimate defenses). Most players are overchallenged with that as they can not rely on muscle memory anymore and have to think about their actions.

Hints:Safe spectral walk for rampage! (It's not nerfed in wvw.)Cast corrupt boon into his shield block for a guaranteed hit! (It's unblockable.)

@"KrHome.1920" said:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwAc2FlJwEZcMPWJOuLateA-zRIYS09XGZmq9WV2eSCj/A-e

...a walk in the park.

He can still run away, but every class can...

The build does also work on celestial (less base damage but better crits = overall the same damage), but is overall worse because celestial can still be overwhelmed with a well timed stunlock burst.

How would that build kill a warrior? No critchance and dmg will tickle him, and healing sig and adrenal health will keep him alive.

As soons as you enter shroud, warriors will use 1 leap and wait for you to turn it off, or until your lifeforce is gone.

@RedShark.9548 said:

@"KrHome.1920" said:

...a walk in the park.

The build does also work on celestial (less base damage but better crits = overall the same damage), but is overall worse because celestial can still be overwhelmed with a well timed stunlock burst.

How would that build kill a warrior? No critchance and dmg will tickle him, and healing sig and adrenal health will keep him alive.

As soons as you enter shroud, warriors will use 1 leap and wait for you to turn it off, or until your lifeforce is gone.You don't understand the build.

It has 13% base crit chance and 33% base crit chance in shroud. So much about the baseline. Every chill adds 6% crit chance. Every different condition on the warrior adds 2% crit chance. Typical is 5 conditions at a time which means 10% additional crit chance. Axe+F and GS apply a ton of vulnerability. Every stack of vulnerability adds 2% of crit chance.

In a sustained fight you have a typical crit chance around 40 to 60% and since reaper shroud got heavy damage buffs and you run power main stat on a 3 stat amulet (maximum power possible) even your non crit damage is decent regarding your tankiness. A non crit grave digger typically deals 5 to 7k damage on that build.

The purpose of vita+tougness gear is that you can leave shroud at any time without having to worry about getting nuked. You have 29k life on 2,9k armor. The moment my target kites, I move in the opposite direction with RS2 and leave shroud. Good luck for him to kill me then within 10 seconds! Chasing on necro is impossible so you better never try and focus on your impact and sustain when your target actually engages.

That build is weak to thieves (just go full berserk against them!) because you won't hit them often enough to build up your crit chance. But it gets stronger the more your target stays at range. And core warrior is full melee.

This is btw. how reaper is meant to be played. Generating crit chance via vulnerabilty and conditions and better invest the stats that are not power into defense.

This build shows why an instant teleport and a shroud cooldown reduction on necro is a bad idea. Give that build more mobility and better shroud access and it loses all its weaknesses.

I’ve not actually tried an attrition based build because in my mind we can’t generate enough life force to fight forever and we will eventually get grounded down once we lose all our life force. But Nimon’s new signet builds makes me see hope in attrition working for us!

I’ve also seen an attrition build in action used by RDRM’s Reaper a few months ago. He used a Reaper + wells build and was surprisingly able to hold his own against most classes. But he struggled to beat a weaver. The weaver also could not bring him down though as he managed his shroud fantastically.

This is actually the build I’ve been practicing with against core warriors.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PS1AYd3lRw8YdMRGJOqLZLPA-zVRYkBByG1cflSmJQuRQvFQ3hgtDA-w

It’s an almost full glass grievers build. I can kill average warriors with it but when I tried it against top warriors, I needed to do everything perfectly to stand a chance.

I managed one win with this glass build against Fear’s warrior after like 20 tries (yes the top NA Fear guild that I thought had stopped playing! whose warrior very kindly agreed to duel me many many times)

Play style I used is basically force out their stabs and use corrupts and fears to control them. Eat their stuns when they get close and use stun breaks + dodge to evade their adrenal bursts.

The fight where I won, I only got hit by one adrenal burst. But really everything needs to happen perfectly for this glass build to work XD

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:I’ve not actually tried an attrition based build because in my mind we can’t generate enough life force to fight forever and we will eventually get grounded down once we lose all our life force. But Nimon’s new signet builds makes me see hope in attrition working for us!

I’ve also seen an attrition build in action used by RDRM’s Reaper a few months ago. He used a Reaper + wells build and was surprisingly able to hold his own against most classes. But he struggled to beat a weaver. The weaver also could not bring him down though as he managed his shroud fantastically.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PS1AYd3lRw8YdMRGJOqLZLPA-zVRYkBByG1cflSmJQuRQvFQ3hgtDA-w

It’s an almost full glass grievers build. I can kill average warriors with it but when I tried it against top warriors, I needed to do everything perfectly to stand a chance.

I managed one win with this glass build against Fear’s warrior after like 20 tries (yes the top NA Fear guild that I thought had stopped playing! whose warrior very kindly agreed to duel me many many times)

Play style I used is basically force out their stabs and use corrupts and fears to control them. Eat their stuns when they get close and use stun breaks + dodge to evade their adrenal bursts.

The fight where I won, I only got hit by one adrenal burst. But really everything needs to happen perfectly for this glass build to work XD

Try full trailblazer with torment runes as scourge, or core nec with traveler runes. That build you posted is bad, no offense.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:I’ve not actually tried an attrition based build because in my mind we can’t generate enough life force to fight forever and we will eventually get grounded down once we lose all our life force. But Nimon’s new signet builds makes me see hope in attrition working for us!

Try full trailblazer with torment runes as scourge, or core nec with traveler runes. That build you posted is bad, no offense.

No offence taken! I posted this thread because I’m struggling to beat core warriors with my current build so I’m not surprised to find out that my build is bad ?

I stopped using full condi trailblazers build after the cleansing sigils and anti toxin patch appeared because some classes/builds are just totally resistant to pure condi now.

Tbh I would be surprised if warriors are still weak to pure condi builds (pleasantly surprised). I would try it though if it gives me a better chance against them.

@KrHome.1920 said:

...a walk in the park.

As soons as you enter shroud, warriors will use 1 leap and wait for you to turn it off, or until your lifeforce is gone.You don't understand the build.

It has 13% base crit chance and 33% base crit chance in shroud. So much about the baseline. Every chill adds 6% crit chance. Every different condition on the warrior adds 2% crit chance. Typical is 5 conditions at a time which means 10% additional crit chance. Axe+F and GS apply a ton of vulnerability. Every stack of vulnerability adds 2% of crit chance.

In a sustained fight you have a typical crit chance around 40 to 60% and since reaper shroud got heavy damage buffs and you run power main stat on a 3 stat amulet (maximum power possible) even your non crit damage is decent regarding your tankiness. A non crit grave digger typically deals 5 to 7k damage on that build.

The purpose of vita+tougness gear is that you can leave shroud at any time without having to worry about getting nuked. You have 29k life on 2,9k armor. The moment my target kites, I move in the opposite direction with RS2 and leave shroud. Good luck for him to kill me then within 10 seconds! Chasing on necro is impossible so you better never try and focus on your impact and sustain when your target actually engages.

That build is weak to thieves (just go full berserk against them!) because you won't hit them often enough to build up your crit chance. But it gets stronger the more your target stays at range. And core warrior is full melee.

This is btw. how reaper is meant to be played. Generating crit chance via vulnerabilty and conditions and better invest the stats that are not power into defense.

This build shows why an instant teleport and a shroud cooldown reduction on necro is a bad idea. Give that build more mobility and better shroud access and it loses all its weaknesses.

Oof, ill stop you right there. I understood what you were going for, i looked for the 33% critchance in shroud, but guess what, its not there, you linked the wrong build (i cant know that)The link you posted has curses and spite in it, 33crit is in soulreaping.

So for me, it made no sense.

And you think you can keep 5 condis on warrior for long? Each weaponswap every 5 seconds is 1 cleanse, add sigel of cleansing on one weapon thats 4 cleanses every 10seconds, add shake it off with 2 ammo stacks and 6 condis cleansed with 1 use.

I often run sword+shield + gs on core warrior, and it takes 1 leap to get away from shroud, when you leave shroud i still have 3 gapcloser left to come back at you.

Core condi.

Curses 231 sr 231 spite 231.

Scepter Dagger/ staff.

Signet heal, signet of undeath, spectral walk, fear ring. Lich form.

Basically warrior can down you without might or stab even. So what you want to do is have a cc ready and not always believe in the boon corrupts. Fear ring is an excellent utilities against warriors as it is unblockable cc which helps us stall for time. Use it defensively to get cd back or a heal off. Lich form is good in dire situation to get a bit of hp back, also #3 s like 4sec fear with these traits(also unblockable). Signet of undeath is amazing sustain in core shroud and an amazing utility which helps us tank a lot of damage in shroud when traited. Traited signet heal because it gives best value on this build. Also it can go through endure pain so. Took dagger of warhorn because we have more than enough unblockables, we need blind to avoid major damage attacks like gs f1 or bulls charge.

I use this, "Dreadmancer."

One mistake and you're toast, but you can pop them pretty quick if you're smooth. Proc Balanced Stance ASAP and don't let a fight begin with them on top of you. If they engage you point blank it's extremely hard to recover from. Starting at range and/or with terrain is very important.

Reaper's Mark -> Ghastly Claws can do up to 25k on a squishy target. Dread increases damage to Feared targets by 33% + 10 stacks of Vulnerability when Feared. With Rending sigil and Death's Embrace ( apply Vulnerability x5 when striking a foe below the threshold ) you can almost insta-stack 20 - 25 Vuln to massively increase damage. Life Blast on Feared targets will do any where between 8 - 15k depending on Might stacks, Vulnerability and targets armor. But if you can keep your distance and can keep pumping out Shroud autos they'll be forced in to a defensive position real quick.

Also don't forget your Marks are unblockable so you can interrupt Shield Stance if they don't have Stability. Or if they do, you can get a free interrupt converting it to Fear for Absorption + Rending procs with Dark Path ( unblockable + corrupt ).

You can also get an extra nasty multi-hit burst if you can time Dark Path with the final explosion from Tainted Shackles. If you can stay close enough to maintain the tether, port in to them right as it explodes following up with Life Blast. Tainted Shackles actually does pretty high power damage on the final hit, any where from 4 - 6k. Top that off with Life Blast and you're looking at a multi-hit for 12 - 16k.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:You can also get an extra nasty multi-hit burst if you can time Dark Path with the final explosion from Tainted Shackles. If you can stay close enough to maintain the tether, port in to them right as it explodes following up with Life Blast. Tainted Shackles actually does pretty high power damage on the final hit, any where from 4 - 6k. Top that off with Life Blast and you're looking at a multi-hit for 12 - 16k.

Are you sure about Tainted Shackles? Wiki does not mention a stronger final hit, I might check in game this evening.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:I use this, "Dreadmancer."

One mistake and you're toast, but you can pop them pretty quick if you're smooth. Proc Balanced Stance ASAP and don't let a fight begin with them on top of you. If they engage you point blank it's extremely hard to recover from. Starting at range and/or with terrain is very important.

Reaper's Mark -> Ghastly Claws can do up to 25k on a squishy target. Dread increases damage to Feared targets by 33% + 10 stacks of Vulnerability when Feared. With Rending sigil and Death's Embrace ( apply Vulnerability x5 when striking a foe below the threshold ) you can almost insta-stack 20 - 25 Vuln to massively increase damage. Life Blast on Feared targets will do any where between 8 - 15k depending on Might stacks, Vulnerability and targets armor. But if you can keep your distance and can keep pumping out Shroud autos they'll be forced in to a defensive position real quick.

Also don't forget your Marks are unblockable so you can interrupt Shield Stance if they don't have Stability. Or if they do, you can get a free interrupt converting it to Fear for Absorption + Rending procs with Dark Path ( unblockable + corrupt ).

You can also get an extra nasty multi-hit burst if you can time Dark Path with the final explosion from Tainted Shackles. If you can stay close enough to maintain the tether, port in to them right as it explodes following up with Life Blast. Tainted Shackles actually does pretty high power damage on the final hit, any where from 4 - 6k. Top that off with Life Blast and you're looking at a multi-hit for 12 - 16k.

Lovely glass build!Your synergy for spike burst is strong.Better than my hybrid glass build which I feel the condi stats are a little wasted.

Personally I feel that it takes a lot more skills to play a full glass build on a Necro compared to other classes because we got the least room for error.We don't have the ability to frequently heal back from 10% to full HP unlike the other glass classes.We also do not have access to full damage immunity/negation skills which makes any errors extremely damaging.

Glass build on Necro pushes us to fully maximize our knowledge in order to win.There is little room for error unlike sustain/condi bunker builds.We need to know how to fully avoid their adrenal bursts as much as possible.

I knew you were a 'thinking' dueler when I saw your previous video.

Reading your comment on forcing out lesser balanced stance asap was exactly the method I used to fight the FEAR warrior.Staff 5 or Fear ring into his moving path to trigger his traited stab.Then proceed to corrupt, force more stun breaks and more corrupts to keep him at length.Learning to pre-cast spectral walk from @Helly.2597 also helped a ton in avoiding the adrenal burst, however the good ones willingly take some damage to wait out my spectral walk because they know they just need to land one good burst to heal back up XD

I still lost like 19 out of 20 fights against him, but it was more down to my slow reflexes/ping to avoid his adrenal bursts even though I saw it coming.That 1 win I had though was more than enough for me to feel vindicated that I can beat good core warriors with the above strategy in mind.

Looking at the other shared builds on sustain/condi bunker, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only odd one trying to take on warriors with full glass builds.So thank you for sharing your glass build and method of approach!

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:You can also get an extra nasty multi-hit burst if you can time Dark Path with the final explosion from Tainted Shackles. If you can stay close enough to maintain the tether, port in to them right as it explodes following up with Life Blast. Tainted Shackles actually does pretty high power damage on the final hit, any where from 4 - 6k. Top that off with Life Blast and you're looking at a multi-hit for 12 - 16k.

Are you sure about Tainted Shackles? Wiki does not mention a stronger final hit, I might check in game this evening.

I'm positive, yes. It pulses Torment then explodes with Immobilize. The explosion deals damage but it isn't very much unless you're glassy. If you'd like an example I can provide a quick .gif later today.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Lovely glass build!Your synergy for spike burst is strong.Better than my hybrid glass build which I feel the condi stats are a little wasted.

Personally I feel that it takes a lot more skills to play a full glass build on a Necro compared to other classes because we got the least room for error.We don't have the ability to frequently heal back from 10% to full HP unlike the other glass classes.We also do not have access to full damage immunity/negation skills which makes any errors extremely damaging.

Glass build on Necro pushes us to fully maximize our knowledge in order to win.There is little room for error unlike sustain/condi bunker builds.We need to know how to fully avoid their adrenal bursts as much as possible.

I knew you were a 'thinking' dueler when I saw your previous video.

Reading your comment on forcing out lesser balanced stance asap was exactly the method I used to fight the FEAR warrior.Staff 5 or Fear ring into his moving path to trigger his traited stab.Then proceed to corrupt, force more stun breaks and more corrupts to keep him at length.Learning to pre-cast spectral walk from @Helly.2597 also helped a ton in avoiding the adrenal burst, however the good ones willingly take some damage to wait out my spectral walk because they know they just need to land one good burst to heal back up XD

I still lost like 19 out of 20 fights against him, but it was more down to my slow reflexes/ping to avoid his adrenal bursts even though I saw it coming.That 1 win I had though was more than enough for me to feel vindicated that I can beat good core warriors with the above strategy in mind.

So thank you for sharing!

I agree, yes. Glass Necro is extremely punishing, particularly in an open field, and has a lot of losing match ups assuming the opponent is of similar skill. Still, it's something I very much enjoy for the challenge and the reward I feel when I outplay someone. Necro has a lot of tools to turn the tables in fights that seem unwinnable with careful use and, despite how strong many common roaming builds are, I often feel at the greatest advantage on Necro. Boon rips and corrupts are so powerful and hard to come by when roaming because Necro is such an uncommon roamer. There are a lot of builds it can completely shut down and I enjoy having that strength.

It's always good to push your limits even when a fight seems unwinnable. You might never get that win, but sometimes losing yields just as much knowledge as winning.

Also, I find Warrior to be one of the hardest things to fight as a Necro. There are a lot of hard fights, but it's very difficult to kill enough time to outlast their Stances and to avoid their Adrenal Health procs before you can go offensive. They basically ignore all soft CC's and are so difficult to keep off you that a decent one is 98% of the time going to be a lose regardless of how well you play. My best advice against Warrior's is to have both Spectral Walk and Flesh Wurm on your bar, but less for actually breaking stuns and more for staying at range. You can do some pretty fancy kiting tricks with the two combined but knowing when to do it is what will win you the fight.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:I'm positive, yes. It pulses Torment then explodes with Immobilize. The explosion deals damage but it isn't very much unless you're glassy. If you'd like an example I can provide a quick .gif later today.

Okay, I admit my lack of knowledge on this skill. Damage listed in wiki is correct and it's only the final part where it immobilizes, it has a coef of 1.25, decent but not that great. All other skill damage comes from torment, which is quite low on power build obviously.

In all case, I have learned a lot from your posts, thank you :)

• 2 months later...

@Voltekka.2375 said:

I had always thought that Condi was out of the meta after all the nerfs and access to cleansing sigils etc.But I was wrong.I tried so hard to make full Grievers work but it was so hard.Every warrior was thrashing me unless I managed a perfect play and they made mistakes.

Out of nostalgia, I was just roaming around with a shroud-flashing full Trailblazer condi core Necro build.And I managed to beat Cake Walk's core Warrior ?

This was the build I used.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwAYtjlVw8YdMRGJOsLZpTA-zVJYkRNfhkZJkbC0bEo4A-w

I also had a rather easy time fending off scrappers which seems to have become very popular?I met 3 different scrappers within 30mins of roaming.

From what I have experienced, currently my preferred shroud-flashing playstyle seems to require a tankier build...Glass builds are really tough when I'm leaving shroud early many times in a fight.And full trailblazers actually still works in this anti-condi meta...

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:I’ve not actually tried an attrition based build because in my mind we can’t generate enough life force to fight forever and we will eventually get grounded down once we lose all our life force. But Nimon’s new signet builds makes me see hope in attrition working for us!

I had always thought that Condi was out of the meta after all the nerfs and access to cleansing sigils etc.But I was wrong.I tried so hard to make full Grievers work but it was so hard.Every warrior was thrashing me unless I managed a perfect play and they made mistakes.

Out of nostalgia, I was just roaming around with a shroud-flashing full Trailblazer condi core Necro build.And I managed to beat Cake Walk's core Warrior ?

This was the build I used.

I also had a rather easy time fending off scrappers which seems to have become very popular?I met 3 different scrappers within 30mins of roaming.

From what I have experienced, currently my preferred shroud-flashing playstyle seems to require a tankier build...Glass builds are really tough when I'm leaving shroud early many times in a fight.And full trailblazers actually still works in this anti-condi meta...

You have one stunbreak. Warriors and scrappers will kill you no problem. This build wont survive any cc chain. Lots of changes should be made.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:I’ve not actually tried an attrition based build because in my mind we can’t generate enough life force to fight forever and we will eventually get grounded down once we lose all our life force. But Nimon’s new signet builds makes me see hope in attrition working for us!

This was the build I used.

You have one stunbreak. Warriors and scrappers will kill you no problem. This build wont survive any cc chain. Lots of changes should be made.

Ah...that's where we disagree.The build I used is for greater offensive control.Proper corruption of stab and kiting actually prevents the warrior from even getting close to you too often.I was stunned a total of 3 times in the fight against the Cake Walk warrior.Once a shield stun at the start which I soaked his burst with Shroud, and then twice when he used Rampage which I negated with Spectral Walk.Corrupting stab to fear with shroud enter + scepter 3 + corrupt boon + fear wall + shroud fear + staff 5 + shroud 2 prevents him from getting close a lot of times.My build is an offensive control build that reduces their chances of CCing you.I find it a lot more effective than using a stunbreak heavy build.

And it was the same Cake Walk warrior that fought against Hobo's Herald and his Soulbeast partner, and still managed to surprise Hobo and downed his Herald in one move.So I would think he is pretty good warrior.But he never managed to bring my necro down below 75% HP because he couldn't get close effectively.Control is more effective than bringing many stunbreaks to a fight.

Terrormancers kill Warriors easy.

Everytime yu corrupt their stability they are gonna take 1000+ free damage from Terror.

And Warriors have alot of Stability to Corrupt.

If they use their mobility skills to catch up to yur kiting, drop Corrosive Poison Cloud.

The pulsing Poison and Weakness will force them to leave it and distance themselves, and they will die if they fight a Shrouded Necro inside CPC.