Can we just remove ranking?

Zexanima.7851

Bring all the ranked rewards to unranked and removed the whole "ranking" thing all together.

• It can be wildly inaccurate
  • Rarely a reflection of actual player skill.
  • Fairly easily manipulated
  • Splits the already small PvP player base between ranked/unranked
  • Doesn't seem to be any kind of priority for Anet to work on
  • DuoQ?
  • People are generally more toxic when you give them imaginary "ranks" to lose.
  • [insert whatever reasons I missed here]

I just play for the rewards at this point. I finally worked my way up to plat just to realize there really isn't any good reason for "ranked" to even exist in this game. Don't get me wrong, I like playing ranked PvP games as much as the next guy. Anet's neglected and unbalanced excuse of a ranked mode just makes for more toxicity because people are worried about losing their internet points. I guess it doesn't really matter, I can just keep playing it and ignore the whole "ranking" aspect of it. What's the point of even having it though if it doesn't even kinda work?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find people are more likely to take ranked games seriously, and just "try things out" in unranked. For this purpose I prefer having the split as you are ideally not going to end up with 3 people on your team playing "for real" and the others trying out some fun troll builds.

@"shion.2084" said:I find people are more likely to take ranked games seriously, and just "try things out" in unranked. For this purpose I prefer having the split as you are ideally not going to end up with 3 people on your team playing "for real" and the others trying out some fun troll builds.

The reverse is a problem though. There are a lot of people in ranked not taking it seriously that are just there for the rewards/titles/gear ect.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@Dantheman.3589 said:U just got to plat and want to remove ranked!?! Wth at least keep climbing to top 250 or something

I still plan on playing ranked and doing the best I can. I'm just questioning the point of it since it doesn't seem to really be a priority for anet and isn't every accurate.Accurate can be what you make of it. Improving is the #1 thing, just get better at game learn how to counter other classes etc. Actual rank should eventually follow with time or maybe 1 season your spec is completely broken and u somehow get a rank you don’t think you’ll ever get again. Doesn’t really matter to much just try to improve at game and use ranked as a fun way to measure your improvement objectively and don’t take to seriously if you get unwinnable matches that tank your rating.

@Dantheman.3589 said:

@Dantheman.3589 said:U just got to plat and want to remove ranked!?! Wth at least keep climbing to top 250 or something

I still plan on playing ranked and doing the best I can. I'm just questioning the point of it since it doesn't seem to really be a priority for anet and isn't every accurate.Accurate can be what you make of it. Improving is the #1 thing, just get better at game learn how to counter other classes etc. Actual rank should eventually follow with time or maybe 1 season your spec is completely broken and u somehow get a rank you don’t think you’ll ever get again. Doesn’t really matter to much just try to improve at game and use ranked as a fun way to measure your improvement objectively and don’t take to seriously if you get unwinnable matches that tank your rating.

That's what I'm saying though, if rank is really that whimsical then why even include it? In all honestly it feels like a good roll of the dice that I got to the rank I'm in. I had a good run of games where no one went afk, we got a decent team comp, was lucky enough to not get someone really high ranked on enemy team. If you wanted to measure your own progression you can just look at your win rate.

I play unranked when I'm trying out new builds. Omg! You do not want those players joining ranked. They have no idea how to rotate, no idea what their build is, and no idea what pvp is aside from chasing kills.

Maybe unranked is filled with actually good players not giving a kitten, but if that's true then unranked is doing its job. It's a mode for fun/practice and ranked is the more serious side of sPvP

@Stallic.2397 said:I play unranked when I'm trying out new builds. Omg! You do not want those players joining ranked. They have no idea how to rotate, no idea what their build is, and no idea what pvp is aside from chasing kills.

Maybe unranked is filled with actually good players not giving a kitten, but if that's true then unranked is doing its job. It's a mode for fun/practice and ranked is the more serious side of sPvP

Unfortunately ranked isn't much better as I'm sure we've all witnessed teammates leaving half capped nodes for seamingly no reason or been the only one on ur team to show up for the bell against the tge other team lol or watch as ur team keeps feeding the other team mid etc. Not saying ranked should be deleted just that there's a lot of players messing around in ranked as well

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@"Stallic.2397" said:I play unranked when I'm trying out new builds. Omg! You do not want those players joining ranked. They have no idea how to rotate, no idea what their build is, and no idea what pvp is aside from chasing kills.

Unfortunately ranked isn't much better as I'm sure we've all witnessed teammates leaving half capped nodes for seamingly no reason or been the only one on ur team to show up for the bell against the tge other team lol or watch as ur team keeps feeding the other team mid etc. Not saying ranked should be deleted just that there's a lot of players messing around in ranked as well

Some people make bad decisions some times or don't fully understand how to play, doesn't mean they are messing around. I agree though, even in ranked people don't take things that serious. I've had a surprisingly high amount of games where we'll start losing by like 10 points and someone says "Shit team, I'm going to just afk".

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:as long as the losers get no rewards then yeah why not. to be clear you're saying only unranked gets the ranking removed right?

I'm saying just remove the whole ranked system (bronze/gold/plat/ect..) from ranked but keep everything else about it the same. At that point you might as well just get rid of unranked. I like that idea though. Maybe only give someone a tiny amount of experience if they lose, for time spent. Any monetary/reward track stuff is only given to the winners.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:as long as the losers get no rewards then yeah why not. to be clear you're saying only unranked gets the ranking removed right?

I'm saying just remove the whole ranked system (bronze/gold/plat/ect..) from ranked but keep everything else about it the same. At that point you might as well just get rid of unranked. I like that idea though. Maybe only give someone a tiny amount of experience if they lose, for time spent. Any monetary/reward track stuff is only given to the winners.

removing the ranking system would work for some other modes but conquest is too dependent on the current system. would be cool if one random day out of the week ranking was put on hold, who knows people might have fun again.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

That's what I'm saying though, if rank is really that whimsical then why even include it? In all honestly it feels like a good roll of the dice that I got to the rank I'm in. I had a good run of games where no one went afk, we got a decent team comp, was lucky enough to not get someone really high ranked on enemy team. If you wanted to measure your own progression you can just look at your win rate.

For me personally and I’ll give you some background. I played this game for a tiny bit at start up mostly wvw and was pretty dang good enough to when I come back 5 years later people still knew who I was. My only real pvp time put in on my main was playing absolutely non viable builds mostly in unranked and had fun with it, but was at like an actually 40% win rate which seems pretty bad right? But my first season playing still not even on my main class I actually pulled a 70% win rate and afterwords being literally plat3 every season mostly solo q. So for me my overall win rate didn’t seem close to my skill level since even now on a new account mostly soloing it’s at like 55-60% win rate which most would say is average yet I’m still getting stuff like top 10-25 titles 90% solo q spamming games. So for some people yeah they say I’m at above 50% win rate I’m a good player but I’ll personally provide my own story as proof to that there are cases to where that win rate means absolutely nothing skill wise.

@Tharan.9085 said:@Dantheman.3589 I would call 50% the average winrate

Yeah and my all pvp account is sitting at 59% which a lot of ppl see and go pretty good but on the account that actually is the same as this account, which I think I had at like 51-52% at the time I think i solo qd to 1795 mmr which for that season was top 3 though tbh it had like 20 games so obviously not on leaderboard. But that seems to be a perfect example of literally an average win rate account in the top .1%, so is ranked a different measure of skill. For sure, is it always 100% = skill probably not but plz keep it as a separate mode

@Dantheman.3589 said:

Yeah and my all pvp account is sitting at 59% which a lot of ppl see and go pretty good but on the account that actually is the same as this account, which I think I had at like 51-52% at the time I think i solo qd to 1795 mmr which for that season was top 3 though tbh it had like 20 games so obviously not on leaderboard. But that seems to be a perfect example of literally an average win rate account in the top .1%, so is ranked a different measure of skill. For sure, is it always 100% = skill probably not but plz keep it as a separate mode

I mean, it's really not that big a deal to me. I'm not trying to cram the idea down other people's throats. I just don't really see why they have this ranking system around if it has so many problems they haven't really shown an interest in fixing.

@Dantheman.3589 said:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0jvjZO7kA9KkrF3fncYrpIv5AI felt cheated out of not getting 10/10 placements so I climbed till I felt it was 10/10 rating. 100% solo q on blood magic reaper