Pistol whip spam thieves

sata.6321

@Dantheman.3589 said:

@Tycura.1982 said:I wouldn't call it op just spammy. Sure wish the evade frames were shorter and more at the front of the animation. Thief has unintuitive evade frames on a lot of skills where the trend tends to be vulnerable at the apex of the animation rather than the end. Take vault for example. You can be hit while you're yoda flipping through the air but you're evading when you've slammed your staff down. There's a couple things like that.

Make P/W have evade frames on the windup and make them vulnerable during the slashing animation. Rewards reactive gameplay like a parry move and takes away the over the top evade window.

I’m not sure if the evade frames are too bad becuz it takes a while to cast say if they wanna stow or start casting this is a super simple time to hit them and I can land a steal then or even at the very end of pistol whip, which isn’t much worse than a full counter. Actually if they add an evade frame to the start say that it’ll evade even if you stow it or make the evade faster at the start it would be abusable like the old bunker staff and I think more people will complain about it being OP.I actually don’t think there should be an evade on PW tbh because no where on the skills tooltip does it ever say this skill provides an evade, maybe that’s why it is the way it is though

As shadowpass presented the skill is incredibly ez to dodge the way it is even if your not a thief with high evades and I’ll tell u if you dodge this skill correctly the build is essentially useless. Depending on what thief build I’m playing say core s/d I will basically automatically win that 1v1 75-95% of the time again depends on what build I’m on some better than others. PW is so counterable rn that I honestly wouldn’t recommend any changes except you could just just get rid of the dodge completely cuz tooltip doesn’t mention one, but then this build would be so absolutely unviable that probably not 1 person would play it

Lmao pw losing to sd? Rofllll

Quick question, if someone dodges your sword 2 immobilizes and kites out of range of your PW stun (because you're immobile while casting), what would you do to land it asides from setting it up with an instant teleport like Steal/Shadowstep/Infiltrator's Signet? From my experience playing with/against it, someone who can abuse movement through super speed/even swiftness will never get hit by it unless you TP right before the stun hits. The only time you should be able to land it consistently (even if you cancel so you don't waste ini on misses/if you don't need the evade) is if the enemy CHOOSES to stay close to you in melee range.

You s2 back???????????????Im done jfc xd

You are immobile when the slashes start, the whole part with stun thats the cast u can move and turn camera freely and stow it.

I will showcase for you someday at weekend

Tbh I’ve played a heck of a lot of PW thief and I’m also pretty dang competent in thief 1v1s. The ability to move PW a little with the camera and what ur suggesting helps a little bit, but for real 1v1s against actually good players especially thief is no where near as strong situationally and flanking strike. If u didn’t know flanking strike is abusable as heck in 1v1s as u can detarget for a dodge and if u retarget it usually sends u behind a target. So using this alone I can dodge almost any pistol whip and if I want to do damage at the end I’ll be behind you, which as I said this alone makes it a super ez 1v1 pistol whip just wins when u burst which against a thief that can 1v1 like me is not gonna happen a lot especially with the damage on this new acro build cuz it take many hits to actually down me

Somebody please take me away from here ????

@bluri.2653 said:

@Tycura.1982 said:I wouldn't call it op just spammy. Sure wish the evade frames were shorter and more at the front of the animation. Thief has unintuitive evade frames on a lot of skills where the trend tends to be vulnerable at the apex of the animation rather than the end. Take vault for example. You can be hit while you're yoda flipping through the air but you're evading when you've slammed your staff down. There's a couple things like that.

Make P/W have evade frames on the windup and make them vulnerable during the slashing animation. Rewards reactive gameplay like a parry move and takes away the over the top evade window.

I’m not sure if the evade frames are too bad becuz it takes a while to cast say if they wanna stow or start casting this is a super simple time to hit them and I can land a steal then or even at the very end of pistol whip, which isn’t much worse than a full counter. Actually if they add an evade frame to the start say that it’ll evade even if you stow it or make the evade faster at the start it would be abusable like the old bunker staff and I think more people will complain about it being OP.I actually don’t think there should be an evade on PW tbh because no where on the skills tooltip does it ever say this skill provides an evade, maybe that’s why it is the way it is though

As shadowpass presented the skill is incredibly ez to dodge the way it is even if your not a thief with high evades and I’ll tell u if you dodge this skill correctly the build is essentially useless. Depending on what thief build I’m playing say core s/d I will basically automatically win that 1v1 75-95% of the time again depends on what build I’m on some better than others. PW is so counterable rn that I honestly wouldn’t recommend any changes except you could just just get rid of the dodge completely cuz tooltip doesn’t mention one, but then this build would be so absolutely unviable that probably not 1 person would play it

Quick question, if someone dodges your sword 2 immobilizes and kites out of range of your PW stun (because you're immobile while casting), what would you do to land it asides from setting it up with an instant teleport like Steal/Shadowstep/Infiltrator's Signet? From my experience playing with/against it, someone who can abuse movement through super speed/even swiftness will never get hit by it unless you TP right before the stun hits. The only time you should be able to land it consistently (even if you cancel so you don't waste ini on misses/if you don't need the evade) is if the enemy CHOOSES to stay close to you in melee range.

You are immobile when the slashes start, the whole part with stun thats the cast u can move and turn camera freely and stow it.

Tbh I’ve played a heck of a lot of PW thief and I’m also pretty dang competent in thief 1v1s. The ability to move PW a little with the camera and what ur suggesting helps a little bit, but for real 1v1s against actually good players especially thief is no where near as strong situationally and flanking strike. If u didn’t know flanking strike is abusable as heck in 1v1s as u can detarget for a dodge and if u retarget it usually sends u behind a target. So using this alone I can dodge almost any pistol whip and if I want to do damage at the end I’ll be behind you, which as I said this alone makes it a super ez 1v1 pistol whip just wins when u burst which against a thief that can 1v1 like me is not gonna happen a lot especially with the damage on this new acro build cuz it take many hits to actually down me

May be he can duel you and teach you how to theif ?

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

May be he can duel you and teach you how to theif ?

Tbh I wouldn’t touch sp dash with 10 foot pole. Neither would I wanna duel him, because I have better things to do tbh

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:This build is particularly toxic when combined with deadeye. Frequent stealthing, stuns/dazes/knockdowns... it's just genuinely difficult to escape.

Dodge the Mark and you're pretty much set.

Hard to do when the thief is stealthed.

Then dodge the follow up. Mark is one of the biggest 'oh boy an attack is coming' in the game.

Or draw on your knowledge of how thief builds and initiative works to exploit whatever they had to give up to get that stealth. I believe in you.

@Curennos.9307 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:This build is particularly toxic when combined with deadeye. Frequent stealthing, stuns/dazes/knockdowns... it's just genuinely difficult to escape.

Then dodge the follow up. Mark is one of the biggest 'oh boy an attack is coming' in the game.

Or draw on your knowledge of how thief builds and initiative works to exploit whatever they had to give up to get that stealth. I believe in you.

The smart ones typically do a three round burst first.

@Dhemize.8649 said:Can we all agree that being able to spam multiple attacks that also count as evades to perma contest a point is completely stupid?

No. Your premise is loaded.

If those attacks are seamless and have no way to punish before or after they complete, sure. If they also make it difficult to target the opponent or do damage in a large radius, also sure.

Pistol whip does neither of those. It is less oppressive point contest-wise than almost any other class's normal rotation. Weaver,Warrior,Soulbeast,Prot Holo, Firebrand, Mirage, and Revenant all have mechanics that are more situationally useful and more generally effective at mitigating damage while simultaneously allowing them to attack, It just so happens that thief's version that begins to approach that now relies mainly on one button (and also, on your opponent staying in range for the duration of the swings).

People are quick to punish thief for doing pretty much anything, whether it be relying on stealth for damage mitigation or dealing damage from range or evading too much with no gaps in between. Pistol whip is the tamest variant thief has and probably the only variant they have that doesn't rely on 20k stealth attacking / +1ing, which people also hate, and it lets people walk away from most of its damage.

At this point, I think people are overreacting because they're not used to a thief not +1ng them or loading them with conditions, that also manages to not die.

pistol whip is not the issue here, landing pw can be rlly clunky. the problem with the build and also with s/d is sword 2, the ability to just teleport and immob and then port back when things get too hot just to do it all over again is just incredibly stupid design. A good thief will be able to kite 2 to even 3 enemies without even dieing this way, just watch sind his stream, the way he kites with sword 2 is just completely broken. imo Anet should redesign sword 2 or just raise the initiative cost. Otherwise thief is fine.

Oh, Sind, why did you have to make a meme vid with s/p? Now my for fun set is getting hated. . . lol

Seriously, what is everyone up in arms about? I have been using s/p off and on for 2-3 years now, and it's not suddenly any better or worse. At least for me, I tend to end up around gold 2 with it. . . just like with every other build. It's not toxic, it's not cancer, it's just a set that was underused so people aren't used to dealing with it yet. Does PW hit hard if it lands? Heck yeah it does, but only if it lands. For one thing, the stun portion is absolutely interruptable and pretty clearly telegraphed. For another, the skill roots the thief in place, meaning you can simply walk away from the evade/damage bomb part of it if the stun portion was mitigated in some way (like block, or dodge, or taking a step back out of range). Learn to play around it instead of calling for nerfs. Yeesh.

Edit: Actually, everyone else stop using it so I can use it in peace. Thank you. :P

@Vagrant.7206 said:

I assume you mean Spotter's Shot?

@Curennos.9307 said:

I assume you mean Spotter's Shot?

There are a few ways to approach the situation, and starting off with TRB isn't one of them, lol.

Thief has a build that allows them to boss around people with lower skill floor? How awful! Meanwhile elementalist has multiple, non-stationary evades that aren't self-rooting; and lack a lengthy cast time. Take your complaints to their sub-forum.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

I know you get memed a lot and I will probably get kitten for this but if you're the thief named Hitzer's Apprentice I actually thought you were Hitzer's alt cause you're actually pretty decent at thief.

I will say from the few times I've come across you, you did fine. And, I agree with you for the most part regarding s/d vs. s/p thief. Even when I watch Sind's streams, the only times he lands PWs without teleporting first are when:
  1. The enemies he's fighting literally stay next to him and when they do kite away, they don't bait out Headshot(s).
  2. They don't dodge the immob from S2 (also a teleport).
  3. They don't dodge the windup stun animation (granted, this can be cancelled, but a lot of the time Sind doesn't actually need to).

Also, the massively reduced Steal cooldown from Swindler's Equilibrium is a very fun trait and I enjoy the mechanic. However, it's another reason why PWs land more frequently as the trait not only decreases the cooldown of a teleport, but enables Sind (and any other DD PW thief) to land it through blocks when coupled with Swipe.

Just gonna say one more thing... I think Swindler's Equilibrium is perfectly fine and the PW build as a whole is not an issue. Even though it relies mainly on a single button for it's damage (+ autos), it's definitely possible for people to fight against it/counter the build as well as for the person using the build to outplay with baits/smart skill usage.

Actually after watching ppl play build really closely looking at overall mechanics I saw a few things. Yes 3/4 of the time they are spamming teleports and swipe just to land a pistol whip, which I felt was mostly baitable because at none these times would I even be using a skill meaning the interrupt doesn’t happen which mostly made pulmonary impact very infrequently. Also I noticed in 1v1s without pulmonary impact your dps is severely lacking. Imo probably best thing possible to have on a sword build are the deadly arts skills mug as it is a huge damage dealer with double steal as it can be anywhere from 2-3k per steal and I think pulm is the only thing coming close to making up for this loss. As well as losing overall dps and panic strike.After looking at these things really closely I pretty much reached a conclusion that pistol whip can win 1v1s etc when many hits of pulm and pistol whip are done many times which in any reliable situation could be avoided if you look for them. So pretty I’m gonna put in my opinion as a thief main that yeah with high skill or just a lot of effort put in to play correctly you could probably mop the floor with some ppl quickly though it’s totally counter able and I think at least some like me who at least recognizes basic thief mechanics should learn to recognize these things and it will probably be much ezier to deal with them possibly even becoming a huge counter to the problem in general

I love how pistol whips a big bad yet ranger can roll around with wavern and gazelle passively ccing u and rooting u to the ground while rapid firing 75% or more of ur hp. Rangers arnt the only one. The whole games filled with cheese cc bursts and thief's pistol whip is soooooo bad lol. Yeah its spamability may be a bit much but most other classes have their own way to spam hard cc skills and insta cheese burst their opponent so does it really matter until a actually blanket nerf rolls out to all classes if it actually ever does,its anet so prob nothing more than empty words.

In my opinion

S/P builds strong point is in evading (same as old mesmers sword2) all attacks while doing skill #3 together with doing good damage (in it have 2796 damage, which is comparable to warriors f1 skill, dragonhunters lb2 and some others).BUT all mentioned above is not all that sword#3 skill does. Thanks to daredevils trait Escapist's Fortitude thief Every Second cleanses 1 condition and get 450 health. And 1pistolwhip last around 3-3.5seconds, so thief from 1pistolwhip can cleanse 3 conditions and get around 1500 health.And this skill paired with daredevils trait is totally spammable, it cost only 5 initiative.

I just have a question: why mirage have 6 seconds of exhaustion on stunbreak and 1 condi cleanse trait but thief doing basically same is considered a balanced skill and build?On revenant all skills have energy cost AND cooldown at same time, no matter of their damage. BUT s/p thiefs skill#3 doing damage comparable to revenants and it is spammable.

I just want to know ArenaNet how midtier necromancers should deal with s/p thiefs in soloq games? Not everyone can play like Posi or Wing to be good on necro.

@xardan.2874 said:BUT all mentioned above is not all that sword#3 skill does. Thanks to daredevils trait Escapist's Fortitude thief Every Second cleanses 1 condition and get 450 health. And 1pistolwhip last around 3-3.5seconds, so thief from 1pistolwhip can cleanse 3 conditions and get around 1500 health.And this skill paired with daredevils trait is totally spammable, it cost only 5 initiative.

From the wiki:

You will then Evade and cleave 4 times with a coefficient of 0.79 (Moving now will cancel the skill). The evasion window lasts for ~1.25 seconds.

So at most you proc twice, and even then a half decent opponent will stop attacking into you when you start evading, so usually you get 1 proc in 1v1s.

@blarghhrrkblah.3412 said:

@xardan.2874 said:BUT all mentioned above is not all that sword#3 skill does. Thanks to daredevils trait Escapist's Fortitude thief Every Second cleanses 1 condition and get 450 health. And 1pistolwhip last around 3-3.5seconds, so thief from 1pistolwhip can cleanse 3 conditions and get around 1500 health.And this skill paired with daredevils trait is totally spammable, it cost only 5 initiative.

From the wiki:

You will then Evade and cleave 4 times with a coefficient of 0.79 (Moving now will cancel the skill). The evasion window lasts for ~1.25 seconds.

So at most you proc twice, and even then a half decent opponent will stop attacking into you when you start evading, so usually you get 1 proc in 1v1s.

Sure you can stop attacking but there is nothing preventing your teammates from dumping damage and causing the thief to cleanse your conditions. Not to mention enemy AoEs. Ate enough condition damage to die? Daggerstorm inside an AoE to shrug it all off.

Escapist's Fortitude has always been stupidly overpowered even before it got buff. A cleanse every 1 second is overpowered nonsense especially on a build that has close to 60%. At most it should be one cleanse on active use of the dodge key.

This build makes SD Daredevil look like a nuanced and skilled build to play.

@mortrialus.3062 said:Sure you can stop attacking but there is nothing preventing your teammates from dumping damage and causing the thief to cleanse your conditions. Not to mention enemy AoEs. Ate enough condition damage to die? Daggerstorm inside an AoE to shrug it all off.

Escapist's Fortitude has always been stupidly overpowered even before it got buff. A cleanse every 1 second is overpowered nonsense especially on a build that has close to 60%. At most it should be one cleanse on active use of the dodge key.

This build makes SD Daredevil look like a nuanced and skilled build to play.

I'm not here to defend the trait. I just wanted to point out that pw having a 3s evade is completely incorrect.

Rofl spvpers, I had a friend who played a lot of pistol whip in WvW and he would ask me to duel. Guy was good and I knew how much work he could do to me but still I would try and would win 2 out of 10. If a WvW zergling can duel a pistol-whip thief...

! Full zerker scholar hammer Rev here btw.