What would each profession smell like?

Shroud.2307

Hmm. Well let's see.

Elementalist:

• Human: The human would smell like an old Library.
  • Charr: Ashes and old books.
  • Sylvari: Dirt and flowers as well as old books.
  • Norn: Mead and old books.
  • Asura: Coffee and old books. Basically a coffee shop. (Headcanon, Asura are super into coffee.)

Elementalist most likely would be fairly bookish in their pursuits as they need to study all of the 4 elements. So they'd likely spend more time in libraries and reading over old books than other more physical classes. Elementalist would very likely be very isolationist which is reflected in their low health pool and high arcane power. So how they smell would reflect that.

Mesmer:

• Human: Flowers and strong perfumes or Cologne.
  • Charr: Ashes and flowers.
  • Sylvari: Exotic flowers and plant pheromones.
  • Norn: Old wood and Pine trees as well as a mild perfume or cologne.
  • Asura: Coffee and a pheramone extract from multiple different species.

Mesmers seek means to better control the mind and distort the senses. As such they are the class to have the most radical smells in order to distort the sense of smell of their foes. Likely having more practical uses for smells as well using pheromones to make others more inclined to like them. Mesmers can also be fairly garish in their tastes which would occasionally lead them to extreme smells and styles.

Necromancer:

• Human: Daisies and dirt.
  • Charr: Cadavers and burnt flesh and fresh soil.
  • Sylvari: Fresh soil, corpses and strong smelling flowers.
  • Norn: Old Wood and wet cloth or fur.
  • Asura: Viscera, blood and necrotic flesh as well as coffee.

Necromancers would have the most offensive smells of any class. They would frequently smell of corpses and as such they would likely avoid human contact while studying or working. They are also the most likely to be the clendliest of all the classes because of their affinity for death and diseases. Necromancers would more likely prefer to work in sterile environments and seek to wash themselves almost obsessively. Necromancer would often carry flowers with them and would choose smells around them that could overpower the scent of corpses. As such the way they smell would be radically different when they're working or studying then when they're around others. Still the lingering scent wouldn't be easy to remove entirely. The only race that would differ is the norn since they live in such a cold environment, decay slows down making them much more pleasant to.be around as they wouldn't have nearly as strong of a smell.

Ranger:

• Human: Grasslands and dog.
  • Charr: Dead leaves, soil and cat.
  • Sylvari: Soil, Lush leaves and plant matter.
  • Norn: large furry animals and pine.
  • Asura: Swampland and salt water.

Rangers would smell like their environment they're in. Their goal would be to mask their scent as to hunt their prey. Rangers are also likely to smell like their animal companions so they're likely to have less radically different smells from race to race.

Thief:

• Human: mild Musky smell and leather. Nothing noticeable.
  • Charr: Engine grease and smoke.
  • Sylvari: Leaves, soil and pollen.
  • Norn: Old wood and fur.
  • Asura: A literal bag of coffee.

Thieves are not looking to stand out so they're not trying to smell like anything out of the ordinary. They're also fairly city folk so they'll work their best to blend in with the city they live in and they can't do that with strong cologne or smelling of corpses.

Engineer:

• Human: Fresh cut wood, oil and copper.
  • Charr: Engine grease, coal, smoke and heavy metals.
  • Sylvari: Wood and brass and chemical compounds.
  • Norn: A coal stoked furnace and iron.
  • Asura: Coffee, metal and plastic.

The engineer would have a variety of metals, wood and stone they would work with. So they're likely to smell like their craft. Based on their culture and the sort of engineering they favor each would likely choose construction that fits that style. The engineer is not offensive smelling per say, but that doesn't mean they're not noticable.

Warrior:Human: Smells like a gym locker room. Probably hasn't showered in a week.Charr: Cat, blood and mortar shell.Sylvari: Soil and corpses.Norn: Sweat and wet cloth.Asura: Extra strength coffee and viscera.

Warriors don't bathe all that often. Like seriously, they probably dont take off their armor all that much. Spending more time cleaning their weapon then themselves. Like seriously! Take a freaking bath!

Guardian:

• Human: Confidence and a light perfume or cologne.
  • Charr: Cat and the blood of their enemies.
  • Sylvari: Flowers.
  • Norn: Pine wood and mead.
  • Asura: High quality coffee.

Guardians are likely to prefer smells that invoke inspiration from their allies. So they'll take smells that are respectable within their culture to give them an aura of leadership among their kind. As such each race would be radically different from each other as each value different things. They're also likely to be the least offensive smelling class as to not offput any of their allies.

Revenant:

• Human: Blood, sweat, tears and beer.
  • Charr: Cat fur, Blood, ashes and whiskey.
  • Sylvari: Sugar cane and corpses and tequila.
  • Norn: Blood and whiskey.
  • Asura: Wine and they don't drink coffee.

If we could give a smell to the broodingest of brooding classes in the game, the Revenant would fit that description. I wanted to joke and say the smell like doritos and mountain dew, but that's not fair. Only sylvari revenants smell like that. The Revenant is sorta a lone wolf in their character description and are considered morally grey by their lore. They are literally the edge lord class. Even edgier than the necromancer. Now I'm not going to dog too much on them as I enjoy Revenant, so just take my humor with a grain of salt. They're also not likely to do things that are mainstream so Asura revenants aren't as likely to drink coffee. Preferring alcohol because of the voices in their head. Which is also why the norn need something stronger. So Revenants are likely to be alcoholics.

@"Lily.1935"I never thought about the idea of Asura coffee shops but something about it seems accurately fitting.Asura brand Coffee!Asura brand Wine for those late nights of study.

"Necromancers would more likely prefer to work in sterile environments and seek to wash themselves almost obsessively."I BET YOU ARE NOT WRONG HERE! Mental images of charr violently trying to shampoo all that fur with that facial expression that says "Not Again!"

Also Fresh Soil (i hope you mean dirt/earth) can smell really good depending on where you live especially after a light rain xD

@ZDragon.3046 said:@"Lily.1935"I never thought about the idea of Asura coffee shops but something about it seems accurately fitting.Asura brand Coffee!Asura brand Wine for those late nights of study.

"Necromancers would more likely prefer to work in sterile environments and seek to wash themselves almost obsessively."I BET YOU ARE NOT WRONG HERE! Mental images of charr violently trying to shampoo all that fur with that facial expression that says "Not Again!"

Also Fresh Soil (i hope you mean dirt/earth) can smell really good depending on where you live especially after a light rain xD

It is. Or worms. For the fresh soil part. I think of spring where I live which is pretty nice.

Also. Ratan Sum has a lot of stands with food. Most of the stands look like coffee though so my assumption has always been that they really love coffee which just made too much sense to me. I don't have a a solid basis for this since I haven't seen confirmation from the devs or anything else in game that would suggest this outright. Just their habits of overworking themselves and lack of sleep.

@Antycypator.9874 said:Soldier professions should smell like sweaty chunks of meat, because they're running in full plated armor which is super HEAVY (it can be even 60kg of steel). + or worse if they're running across desert in the same equipment, but I think they wouldn't survive for long.

Historically speaking, a full suit of plate armor weighs about 40-50 kg. Maybe it could be 60 if you incorporated a renaissance era breastplate and helmet which are reinforced against firearms, but 60 kg does seem kinda on the high end as far as weight goes.

While that may still seem like a lot, you've gotta remember that a well-fitted suit of full plate armor distributes its weight evenly on your entire body. Modern soldiers carry over 40 kg of gear just on their torso/back so they do in fact do a lot more work than a medieval knight or noble would. The ceramic plates they have on their combat/shrapnel vests are like 20 kg on their own, not even including any other gear. Soldiers of any period are also in very good shape because it's a requirement for that line of work.

It's also a bit unclear whether Tyrians use heat regulating or weight reducing armor enchantments which may change the equation here. Reducing the weight of a melee weapon is a bad idea since the force behind an impact directly correlates with weight(as in if you reduce the weight of a weapon by 50%, you need to quadruple its speed on the moment of impact to achieve the same energy behind a strike) but for the protection offered by armor weight has no correlation with. Assuming the weight reduction is done by a reduction of gravitational pull rather than direct reduction in mass which would weaken the material.

@XatraZaytrax.2601 said:

@Regh.8649 said:Charr Warrior:Cats natural scent, felines tend to be clean themselves quite a alot, so the odors don't give away their position on windy days :)Dust, rusty metal, old leather, weapon oils and a bit of powder.

Oh dear, now I am imagining Rytlock cleaning himself like my cats do

Gotta improve those Charr idle animations XD

Mesmers smell like perfume.

Warriors smell like musty folks.

Guardians smell like library books.

Revenants smell like whatever people smelled like 200 years ago.

Necromancer smell like Rotting flesh. (stay back)

Elementalist smell like burning lumber.

Rangers smell like wet dog.

Engineers smell like wet metal.

Thiefs smell like smoke and gun powder.

Mesmers smelling like perfume is my first impression but I imagine more realistically they could smell like static, you know like a metallic tinge like lightning or electricity or something statically charge does? Reason is Mesmers conceptually play with space and time and distorting reality, whether it's teleporting and portals or warping time with time warp or space with reflections or distortion/invuln/Mirage cloak etc, I imagine that creates rifts that affects molecular/atomic structures and reality, you may catch a whiff of those disturbed electrons as they poof around you.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Mesmers smell like perfume.

Warriors smell like musty folks.

Guardians smell like library books.

Revenants smell like whatever people smelled like 200 years ago.

Necromancer smell like Rotting flesh. (stay back)

Elementalist smell like burning lumber.

Rangers smell like wet dog.

Engineers smell like wet metal.

Thiefs smell like smoke and gun powder.

As a necromancer, I can assure you we wash ourselves more frequently than any other profession. Disease prevention is important. We've refined our practice and the spread of disease has been eliminated from 250 years ago. We do enjoy incense and flowers as the smell of corpses is still offensive to even us.