Ranger Greatsword is Dead

shadowpass.4236

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@"Eurantien.4632" said:Greatsword is just different. It's fine. Our best weapon in PvP in my opinion.

The problem is... it's 100% getting nerfed again... that nerf is gonna hurt.

Complaining won't bring the evade on autoattack back. But something better than 15 endurance would be appreciated.

Yeah it's ok. I still prefer the older version ofc.

What do you think about 50 endurance on hit? That way we get a full evade (.75s as opposed to the previous 1s that could be used up to 3x)

I don't know. The problem with GS auto is it is absolutely garbage on dps now. You're almost never getting the full chain off, you just don't have that kind of time to stand in the fray since you don't get the evade now to peel out. So if we buff it to 50 endurance, is it gonna help that much? I guess if I ran out of dodges and needed something?

My concern is... with a tankier build like a/a gs paladins "boonbeast" type deal, all of a sudden you've got something that can stand in the fray long enough to get a full autochain off and reap the rewards. In this instance that would be a full endurance bar every 2-4 seconds (2s with quickness). That's now too powerful in my opinion.

The evade was good before because while you were doing it, you were doing 0 dmg, which meant as a tank they were just doing whatever cause they know you had no follow up, and as a dps people didn't care cause now you were doing no dmg either and they can just follow up and try and melt you since you're so squishy as dps ranger. I'm not sure what the answer is.

@Eurantien.4632 said:Greatsword is just different. It's fine. Our best weapon in PvP in my opinion.

Complaining won't bring the evade on autoattack back. But something better than 15 endurance would be appreciated.

Hmm what do you think the nerfs will be about? Increased CD on skill 4?

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Eurantien.4632 said:Greatsword is just different. It's fine. Our best weapon in PvP in my opinion.

Hmm what do you think the nerfs will be about? Increased CD on skill 4?

He's probably talking about Anet making CCs deal almost no damage. If that happens, GS4 and GS5 will essentially be pretty awkward and all of our damage will come from Mauls. As it stands right now, Swoop is bad to throw away as damage and our autos don't deal enough damage to warrant the slow chain. Also, the autos are pretty easy to punish because of the long cast times.

Hoping you are wrong on the future nerf to Greatsword, especially since the Longbow was recently nerfed in WvW. At the rate things are going, rangers will have to fight with their bare fists.

I pretty much only use sword in WvW now. Outside of maximized mobility or niche spike damage builds using stealth spam sword outperforms greatsword imo by a wide margin. With the recent sword changes I can stick like glue to my target. Also the cripple up time potential is great which further aids in keeping on your target. The loss of crippling throw on greatsword sealed the deal for me because now you are forced to use swoop to stay on your target more often which can be a liability. The auto attack change on greatsword also hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

@Knighthonor.4061 said:What's the change?

The passive evade on auto-attack was removed. Endurance regen (15% if I remember right) was added in its place to the final AA swing. Blocking with skill 4 will also not automatically trigger the kick CC when your attacking target is in melee range. Once you are hit while blocking, you get a skill flip to be able to manually trigger the CC kick. The trade-off of this is that you no longer can throw the GS with skill 4.

Actually I detest Greatsword in the first place, mostly due to the stupid rooting system on some skills. I use it, the enemy sees it, takes two steps back, as my greatsword hits AIR....completely useless. The greatest Damage it can do, and it roots you to the ground, and the enemy just steps back. Same with axe #5...you ain't going nowhere. The only time I can use these skills is if the enemy believes they can take me down before I take them down, when those skills are anywhere near useful. But I hate Greatsword.

@KeyOrion.9506 said:Actually I detest Greatsword in the first place, mostly due to the stupid rooting system on some skills. I use it, the enemy sees it, takes two steps back, as my greatsword hits AIR....completely useless. The greatest Damage it can do, and it roots you to the ground, and the enemy just steps back. Same with axe #5...you ain't going nowhere. The only time I can use these skills is if the enemy believes they can take me down before I take them down, when those skills are anywhere near useful. But I hate Greatsword.

you could use the dissadvantage u say as a oppertunity to bait enemy defense, maul is great for baiting enemies dodges etc, u also got enough tools to cc enemy hard or soft to set up burst.

• 1 month later...

@"shadowpass.4236" said:Nice job Anet. You turned this amazing, fun, balanced, higher skill cap melee weapon into a version that's 100x clunkier and weaker than it was before.

You don't listen.

My favorite weapon has been completely butchered.7 years worth of muscle memoryMy core playstyle since releaseGoneYou actually HARD nerfed several gs skillsThe autos are literally trash now, and the muscle memory is getting me killed cause I think I'm going to (purposefully, not RNG!) evade an attack with the 3rd part of the chain but NOPE!You guys decided to remove the skill ceiling completely on gsNow the autos are just 111111111 spam, no depth or skill requiredThe loss of Crippling Throw means that people can literally just run away from me and I can't catch them3 skills, hard nerfed... for what? Oh! Now we can block for 3 seconds like we could BEFORE the patch by simply spamming jump!

I was right about the sword and dagger changes too. Sword is way weaker and dagger is still useless.

All of our melee weapons are basically trash now. I want to see the nerfs reverted and these changes made in their place.

Yes. 100-PERCENT.Literally UNDO ALL of that nonsense. IT IS LITERALLY NOT FUN AT ALL to use the greatsword.

The muscle memory made me laugh a bit because you're right. Now we're slow AF and for what? Was there some major complaint(s) that this needed to happen?

It's not like everyone was invincible due to auto3 evade.

@Loboling.5293 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:Nice job Anet.

All of our melee weapons are basically trash now.

Well it is called a Range-r. Maybe after 7 years, they realized what that meant...

Sorry, please do go on. ;P

HAAAAAAAYours in the only post to make me feel slightly better about all this.I thank you!But if that's true then I want them to bring back Choking Gas. THAT WAS My JAM!A true way to play strategically in FoW on them shadow monks/casters.