Will 3rd Expansion happen at all?

yefluke.3168

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Cronospere.8143" said:like 90% .. they will release it. Because if they dont they will slowly lose a lot of players

Dude, they are loosing players now.I wish reddit was as optimistic as this forum was.Even Wooden Potatoes in his video said that he was now questioning weather they would make another expansion.

Before Pax, I would have said there was a 85-90% chance there was going to be an expansion. After Pax, since people were starving simply to know what was going on and not revealing anything of a planned expansion, even just 'it's planned", would have been a fairly stupid decision, I felt there was an 80% chance there was NOT going to be an expansion. I also felt like if they didn't release any assurance this week than that percentage would raise to 90% and then slowly raise over time until after the next living story was finished and beyond.

What if NcSoft won't allow Anet to have the resources to make a new expansion? What if NcSoft or Anet doesn't think a new expansion will financially be worth it given the needed resources? What if Anet doesn't think they can handle it anymore after the lay offs without compromising the game in the meantime? What if NcSoft would rather invest in other games? What if gw2 population continues to decline because they didn't tell anybody they even planned on making another expansion, causing NcSoft to once again cut costs?

If they don't have an expansion planned, they are not going to say anything, even in difficult times when people are questioning it. That is exactly what is happening now.It is not like Anet is going to announce, "NcSoft said we can't have to resources needed to produce an expansion and we therefore are just going to get as much money out of this while prolonging our jobs and the game for as long as possible before NcSoft shuts us down."It's not going to happen.

Its been cut and dry that they have FOUR full content teams working on the game now. Which means when their development cycles rotate we'll be getting regular content.

Saying Living World is maintenance mode is laughable, because PvE content is the lifeblood of the game. Getting entire map expansions every few months is phenomenal for an MMO. Also alliances is a WvW feature so isn't a priority for the main teams.

My hype for "Season 5" is still stronger than the finale to Season 4 because of how its bringing out all the stops for player accessibility. Using all the content and features all masteries provide is another layer on that cake. When they are ready to bring out another set of elite specs and collection sets, we'll get an expansion.

Considering pcgamesn, here's what to understand: "We know that a lot of players want expansion, but don't want to make it /deliver it right now, please stand by, and remember soon TM." They think what they want to achieve currently is perfectly doable with the Icebrood Saga. Simple, season 5 will cover so many different maps not sharing a similar theme so they can make it as an expansion, but rather like living season 3. HOT was full sylvari, POF was full human, but that one seems to be half charr half norn. NO Asura. And I hope A LOT that the 3rd expac is coming after: DOT Depths Of Tyria for Asura/Dwarfs. All races would be covered that way. I hope that Saga is awesome.

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:Its been cut and dry that they have FOUR full content teams working on the game now. Which means when their development cycles rotate we'll be getting regular content.

Saying Living World is maintenance mode is laughable, because PvE content is the lifeblood of the game. Getting entire map expansions every few months is phenomenal for an MMO. Also alliances is a WvW feature so isn't a priority for the main teams.

My hype for "Season 5" is still stronger than the finale to Season 4 because of how its bringing out all the stops for player accessibility. Using all the content and features all masteries provide is another layer on that cake. When they are ready to bring out another set of elite specs and collection sets, we'll get an expansion.

For casual player like me...I don't think it bring the life that much in reality. We got living world episode for every 3-4 month... but finish it within 2-4 hours and some collaborative grinding repetitive map events...... which questionable reward...... unlike expansion pack. there are more to explore and new play style to experiment.The living world content doesn't really match the expansive mechanic of the expansion.

This year my 4 of 5 guilds disbanded, a lotttttt of my friends gradually permanently leave the game ....

Good sign of bright future??? I'm really 99% sure that there are unlikely 3rd expansion soon.People patience will wear out... and yeah one of you here might already leave the game in mid 2020.

• 3 months later...

Dejavu on this thread from prior to the guild wars 2 announcement when eotn was the half expansion.

• Port the game to a console. It's not to complicated to do so.
  • Cross play across systems.
  • Close off areas of the map dead areas lose players have limited event access or something** Dragon death altered reality.. Use that to kill off statistically dead sections.
  • introduce a battle royale mode. There was one after hunger games came out... But not quite up to snuff...** on second thought, the game engine doesn't support collision mechanics to that degree...
  • provide something for mobile.
  • Cantha would be awesome. Just sayin. It's what got me into GW back before NF release.

@coso.9173 said:i think they will make a 3rd one after ls5. but it's a long time till then. we can't know yet.Considering it takes about 2 years to make an expansion, if they aren't working on it right now (and all the info we're getting from Anet suggests they aren't), then they won't have one ready for when LS5 ends.Theoretically they could make one for after LS6, but it's so far away in the future, there would be no point for it - either the game would already die for lack of it, or it would somehow survive without it, which would mean it would not be needed at all.So far it's clear they are hoping for the latter. Maybe because they simply do not have any other option (in example due to lack of resources), who knows.

Still, it does strongly seem like PoF was the last of the expansions we're going to ever see.

@Xstein.2187 said:

@"Cronospere.8143" said:like 90% .. they will release it. Because if they dont they will slowly lose a lot of players

Dude, they are loosing players now.I wish reddit was as optimistic as this forum was.Even Wooden Potatoes in his video said that he was now questioning weather they would make another expansion.

Before Pax, I would have said there was a 85-90% chance there was going to be an expansion. After Pax, since people were starving simply to know what was going on and not revealing anything of a planned expansion, even just 'it's planned", would have been a fairly stupid decision, I felt there was an 80% chance there was NOT going to be an expansion. I also felt like if they didn't release any assurance this week than that percentage would raise to 90% and then slowly raise over time until after the next living story was finished and beyond.

What if NcSoft won't allow Anet to have the resources to make a new expansion? What if NcSoft or Anet doesn't think a new expansion will financially be worth it given the needed resources? What if Anet doesn't think they can handle it anymore after the lay offs without compromising the game in the meantime? What if NcSoft would rather invest in other games? What if gw2 population continues to decline because they didn't tell anybody they even planned on making another expansion, causing NcSoft to once again cut costs?

If they don't have an expansion planned, they are not going to say anything, even in difficult times when people are questioning it. That is exactly what is happening now.It is not like Anet is going to announce, "NcSoft said we can't have to resources needed to produce an expansion and we therefore are just going to get as much money out of this while prolonging our jobs and the game for as long as possible before NcSoft shuts us down."It's not going to happen.

Finally, a sensible comment surfaced. +1

I no longer believe in there being further expansions, either, and basically am playing less and less with every week passing. By the time LWS5 is over, I might have stopped playing altogether, except for the sparse story releases every couple of months. Boredom has started to spread, festivals won't change that.

@yefluke.3168 said:Since MMORPG games are in the age of decline, and new expansion will most likely release in late 2019.It is almost 1 years and half from today, (and 2 years might see drastically change in game trends, popularity of certain kind of game and technology)

I'm not very sure if GW2 will invest in new expansion...(they started but might not release...)Do you guys think of how much % that it will not happening?

For me it is 30%. that it won't happen...

Depends if they have money for that. So if you buy something from the Gemstore, you increase the chance for an expansion, that just to remind, also cost money to make.

@Arden.7480 said:Depends if they have money for that. So if you buy something from the Gemstore, you increase the chance for an expansion, that just to remind, also cost money to make.On the contrary, by increasing our spending now, we'll be sending them a message that the expansionless, LS-only model is fine and they should continue that way.

@Mil.3562 said:

Finally, a sensible comment surfaced. +1

The amazing thing to me is that anyone ever thought there would be a third expansion, when anet has never given us any reason to expect one . . .

The next most amazing thing is that so many ppl seem so concerned about it. If the game isn't worth playing rn, stop. Don't hang on hoping that one day an unrealistic expectation will be realized. I feel like anet is doing a tremendous job of releasing free updates at an impressive pace. I also feel like that is their only way forward. If there are players who aren't content with that, this probably isn't the game for them . . .